Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

primaltrash posted:

The Shadowbringers stories should mostly still be SPOILERS at this point, but I do recall there was one about Alisae and Tesleen meeting, but I cannot find it. Any one know what I mean? God I hope I'm not thinking of some fan fiction.

I've got some bad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010

primaltrash posted:

The Shadowbringers stories should mostly still be SPOILERS at this point, but I do recall there was one about Alisae and Tesleen meeting, but I cannot find it. Any one know what I mean? God I hope I'm not thinking of some fan fiction.

There was a Heavensward story about Alisaie meeting a merchant girl and traveling with her a while that hits on several of the same beats as her relationship with Tesleen, including the girl’s sudden and untimely death. That might be what you’re thinking about.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Hellioning posted:

I've got some bad news.

:negative:

Ran Rannerson posted:

There was a Heavensward story about Alisaie meeting a merchant girl and traveling with her a while that hits on several of the same beats as her relationship with Tesleen, including the girl’s sudden and untimely death. That might be what you’re thinking about.

oh thank god, that's the one.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Sucks to have a Tragedy Aura centered on oneself.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ran Rannerson posted:

I love the Mord.

Thanks pal. I love you too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sanguinia posted:

Let's be honest, Alphinaud's feelings toward Estinien being a crush or "I want this man to be my older brother because he's the coolest ever," are similarly disturbing. I love the man, but he's the hottest mess.

Estinien is a good older brother and a sweet man that honestly just needs to settle down and have a family. He's got big dad energy that the game only doubles down on as its gone on.

"She should have been at the club" but it's "He should be at a school function"

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 9, 2024

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Estinien is a good older brother and a sweet man that honestly just needs to settle down and have a family. He's got big dad energy that the game illbly doubles down on as its gone on.

Maybe he should stop spending entire expansions not talking to HIS dad then! :colbert:

...should I be concerned about how invested I am in the soap opera family drama of the C and D list minor characters and how legit grumpy it makes me when they don't progress? That might be unhealthy.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I confess I never twigged onto Alisaie's apparent crush here, but this is less an "I don't see it" so much as me being very oblivious to that sort of thing. I did assume she was crushing on Tesleen tho :smith:

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

YggiDee posted:

I did assume she was crushing on Tesleen tho :smith:
That's also where my brain went, tbh

Of course, I also thought Tesleen was going to be our Replacement Lyse on the First and start a new cast of second stringers, so obviously I don't know poo poo about dick

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Welcome to Shadowbringers!

I did Alisae first, thought I no longer remember why. What I *do* remember is doing Alphi's stuff, seeing a friend suddenly say in fc chat "Well, that got dark!" and me checking to see Ahm Areng was his location, knowing exactly what he was referring to and thinking to myself, "No, things just got very... Light!" :unsmigghh:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

YggiDee posted:

I confess I never twigged onto Alisaie's apparent crush here, but this is less an "I don't see it" so much as me being very oblivious to that sort of thing. I did assume she was crushing on Tesleen tho :smith:

I did consider this as well actually, it fits the text evidence pretty neatly.

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 9, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sanguinia posted:

...should I be concerned about how invested I am in the soap opera family drama of the C and D list minor characters and how legit grumpy it makes me when they don't progress? That might be unhealthy.

no, this is the correct approach to the secondary cast imo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ah, Shadowbringers

I've talked about it a lot but this is the expansion that best sells the, for lack of a better word, "class fantasy" of being the hero. Alisaie's story segment does a very important job of laying the tonal and emotional groundwork to really pull that off. Tesleen's scene is notorious for the one-two combo of gutpunch and body horror, I remember it leaving me pretty shaken when I first saw it.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Yeah I also assumed she and Tesleen had something going on, honestly. Which is a true bummer.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
On the topic of the crush, my WoL basically adopted Alphinaud as his little brother after a certain point, and that meant by extension Alisaie was a little sister, though he hadn't yet bonded with her aside from the Coils yet. My WoL basically treats her crush as a bit awkward considering how much younger she is, but he also remembers all the crushing he did when he was a teenager, so he doesn't really feel the need to address it cause she'll eventually get over it and start going for someone closer to her own age.

My WoL also tries to keep any talk of his love life on the down low from the scions, cause he doesn't want the twins to realize that he's basically become the new Thancred with the number of flings he's had, and he doesn't want to lose the respect of his little siblings. (They already know, they're not idiots.)

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

This zone's music is probably one of my favorites in the game! Glad it is attached to this memory! Also this was when it hit me that Ardbert has had it VERY rough.

Welcome to Shadowbringers.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Since the age of your WoL and headcanons are in discussion. I've mentioned before but playing a Viera allowed me to have some interesting discussion and thoughts. Some of which colour his experience of Shadowbringers story uniquely.

But overall, as I've mentioned in the past my personal story for Hanayuki Mikazuchi is that he is a little bit over 100 years old. So not young for a Viera but solidly into the early middle of his potential lifespan. I forget if all the Scions would know this by now, but certainly Shadowbringers made him think on his age compared to the others a lot more, and the fact that he would likely outlive every single one of them too.

He's a somewhat old man in a young man's body, because Viera are perpetually beautiful and youthful until they near the very end of their lives, and never before has he felt it as much as he will over the course of his adventure on the First.

In the context of crushes etc. he's taken a paternal view of the twins both, although it is more reflective in his relationship to Alphinaud because of the Heavensward Road Trip (which is very similar to actual Vieran experiences of travelling with young male Viera into the wilderness to teach them life skills). His relationship to the other Scions is more complex, but at its heart amounts to being the dad friend who also is annoyingly attractive and there for you when you need it regardless of what it is. Of the "potential" relationships the game could hint at, Estinien would actually be the most likely, or Hauchefaunt, but Viera probably have a different stance on romance than most do, at least those from the jungles of Golmore would.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Have another "Welcome to Shadowbringers!" and hold onto your rear end, because imo, this is where the game stops loving around and hits the ground running.

(I also thought that Alisaie was crushing on the WoL, but I chalked that up towards 'awkward hero worship/crush combo pack' than actual romantic interest, fwiw.)

Can't wait to see your take on future events, but the thread has been amazing so far!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Tesleen and Alisaie could very well have been a thing even with the latter holding a bit of a torch for the Warrior of Light, I don't think that's actually wrong. I just wonder a bit if part of this is influenced by all the catgirl warriors of light, though. :v:

Since this line wasn't in the LP screens, I wonder exactly how much Alisaie is downplaying this...

It's weird, I've never viewed Alisaie and Alphinaud as the Warrior of Light's impromptu adopted family, sibling or lowercase-scion. They both came into the scene treating my WoL as a crony and lackey in their own ways, though warming quickly enough to friends above that, so it's always felt a little more like a closer peer subgroup amidst the greater Scion umbrella (which of course overlaps with other subgroups in different ways - though his sister is a founding member and he's become rather self-effacing, Alphinaud is decidedly not part of the Bullying Alphinaud Club).

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
My headcanon for my WoL is slightly elaborate - she was originally a guerilla anti-Gridanian Gelmorran nationalist/Duskwight freedom fighter type. She went undercover as an adventurer while the heat died down from one of her operations, fell backwards into the scions, and at some point - probably around Shadowbringers, actually - realised that she wasn't pretending anymore, that she liked these people and wanted to be a hero. It's not a redemption narrative, she wasn't a villain before, but certainly a well-intentioned extremist who wouldn't call herself a hero. Shadowbringers was her coming to terms with the fact she was, and wanting to live up to that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hogama posted:

It's weird, I've never viewed Alisaie and Alphinaud as the Warrior of Light's impromptu adopted family, sibling or lowercase-scion. They both came into the scene treating my WoL as a crony and lackey in their own ways, though warming quickly enough to friends above that, so it's always felt a little more like a closer peer subgroup amidst the greater Scion umbrella (which of course overlaps with other subgroups in different ways - though his sister is a founding member and he's become rather self-effacing, Alphinaud is decidedly not part of the Bullying Alphinaud Club).

The Scions are definitely divided into the Old Guard who were Louisoix's grad students (Urianger, Shtola, Thancred, Papalymo, Moenbryda) and the New Kids who came to it later or had a different relationship with him (Alphinaud, Alisaie, Lyse, Minfilia, Krile), and I think a lot of folks tend to resonate with one or the other.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
welcome to shadowbringers

My favorite early scene is still Ardbert in the inn, but this is a *very* close second.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
As long as we're sharing WoLs, mine is from an family of pirates and assorted hooligans, but her crippling seasickness meant she had to find another income stream, which turned out to be beating the poo poo out of monsters. She's a friendly jock meathead, who by Heavensward has magnanimously decided not to shove Alphinaud into a locker. I don't know if she actually knows what laws are.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I'm in a bit of a different position from most. I play the MSQ 100% with my partner, so my WoL is not the WoL between us, my partner's is. This leads to me being able to make a few fun divergences in our headcanon, like my WoL getting "called" with the other Scions before my partner's arrived in the First at the start of the expac.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DanielCross posted:

I'm in a bit of a different position from most. I play the MSQ 100% with my partner, so my WoL is not the WoL between us, my partner's is. This leads to me being able to make a few fun divergences in our headcanon, like my WoL getting "called" with the other Scions before my partner's arrived in the First at the start of the expac.

That's actually really cute idea

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I also do the MSQ along side Orph's mega tsundere not-wife. It does mean my MSQ progression is slower than others (which leads to me being yelled at to 'just prog anyway and ignore her') but usually, mostly, it's enjoyable to share my adventures with her.

Character-wise, Orph comes from somewhere snowy and remote, inspired by stories of heroes and Paladin's he went to Ul'dah seeking adventure. Just a big old "I wanna help people!" happy boy.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Bruceski posted:

The Scions are definitely divided into the Old Guard who were Louisoix's grad students (Urianger, Shtola, Thancred, Papalymo, Moenbryda) and the New Kids who came to it later or had a different relationship with him (Alphinaud, Alisaie, Lyse, Minfilia, Krile), and I think a lot of folks tend to resonate with one or the other.
It's the WoL's ability to seamlessly move between these two groups that make me headcanon them early 20s.

Hogama posted:

Alphinaud is decidedly not part of the Bullying Alphinaud Club).
I'm not sure how Alphinaud would become a member of the Alphinaud Bullying Club, but I'm sure he'd figure something out. Lad's an overachiever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Craptacular! posted:

Hojo injects himself with Jenova cells and mutates through an encounter. Lugae in FF4 is another scientist who turns into a horrifying monster but because it's SNES he simply jumps off screen and comes down as something different.

FF13's L'cie (which includes the entire playable cast) transform into hulking zombies if they abandon their mission or slack on it beyond a certain point. They also turn their bodies into crystal when they succeed as well (sound familiar?), so it's a hosed up destiny either way

And then there's Yunalesca, who owns the title belt for these sorts of things by going hard into Silent Hill territory.

Those are fair examples and I imagine Remake might have some fun with Hojo turning into Helletic Hojo, which is a spooky thing, but I don't think those transformations usually are just a jump cut, followed by being turned into those things. Like, almost the whole party in XIII turn into Cie'th at one point and they're just suddenly rock monsters.

Yunalesca is also a particularly funny case, because she's just kinda sitting on the back of the giant face monster, which is just growing out of her hair.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Hogama posted:

Since this line wasn't in the LP screens, I wonder exactly how much Alisaie is downplaying this...

Crystal Jim wears an Anime Shadow Hood because the two black eyes Alisaie gave him still haven't healed.

clifton779
Aug 24, 2017
Welcome to Shadowbringers!

If we are sharing WoL backstories, my WoL left/was banished from the Questir tribe because of complications with the Echo, and ended up relying too much on words instead of actions. This left her with a chip on her shoulder towards the Steppe until Shadowbringers. Traveling to the First and seeing an almost dead world really puts things into perspective.

Also, her reaction to the twins was “Who are these sassy lost children”, followed by adopting them as siblings.So there is no possibility of romance there, and she views Alisaie’s actions as relief at seeing her again. The WoL does have a huge crush on Y’Shtola, mostly because of The Burn (Savage).

clifton779 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 10, 2024

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Oh! We're sharing WoL backstories?

My WoL is from Ishgard, former light cavalry that ended up in Gridania after the Calamity and Ishgard was walled off for the first expansion locked its doors after Bahamut. He's a Greystone, with all the emotional damage that that entails, and when HW happened, he was not thrilled to be heading back to "grotty old Ishgard", but beggars cannot be choosers.

Also: I totally chose Alisaie first as well, and even though the game animations can't show it, the first thing my WoL did was give her a rib-bending hug.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Ah, WoL backstories... I wanted to figure out a concept based on omniclassing/crafting/gathering, so I made a 40 year old mooncat man who was a perpetual grad student because he couldn't make a decision on what he actually wanted to study, so he kept switching around. He always thought Louisoix and the gang were Cool but his family were big into the faction that Sevestre from AST was a part of so he just kind of kept his head down and ended up in a weird self-isolating rut until the Calamity, where his midlife crisis came to a head and he decided to gently caress off to Eorzea to become an adventurer. He ended up a lot happier with omniwhatevering because he was at least encountering people instead of locking himself in his room with a stack of books.

He kinda hated Alphinaud until his character development but now he is the Beloved Cool Uncle to both the twins.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
My WoL, 24 as of Shadowbringers, came from Spira, which is an archipelago off the border of Limsa, think Canaries to mainland Spain, which got wrecked during the calamity and her initial call to action was getting funding to help the repairs.

Initially the association with the Scions was a working one but between the Waking Sands Massacre and the Bloody Banquet she grew to consider these dorks as a found family of sorts with her as Team Mom, first to support Minfilia after Monbrea's death (and her heart-to-heart with the WoL) and then to step up after the Dragonsong war.

She is also aro and a bit of a dim bulb when it comes to romantic love which is kinda funny given how many people have one sided crushes on her. So this whole thing with Alisaie is cute but mostly harmless.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 10, 2024

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My WoL is an academic with a love of rare books and accidentally read too many rare books and rediscovered two lost forms of combat magic by pure accident.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

WoL punch good.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

dyslexicfaser posted:

WoL punch good.

But have you considered, WoL Jump Good?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

But have you considered, WoL Jump Good?

Never bothered to do SAM.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Well, since we're sharing....

My WoL is a Roegadyn, and I've always seen her as a former Lominsan pirate who ended up beached after the twin occurences of the Calamity and Merlwyb made that particular career-path obsolete. She started out as a Marauder ( which played very differently back in ARR, let me tell you ), but branched out into magic fairly quickly and discovered that she was quite good at it, ending up as a Summoner... Which then led to the path of the Red Mage.

Thus, I did not, in fact, go into Shadowbringers as a Dark Knight, but as a swashbuckling magic fencer.

Alisaie and Alphinaud fall into the category of 'adopted teenage niece/nephew', and the other Scions are close friends, though it took a while for Urianger to earn back some trust. If anything, I'm imaginging my WoL and Estinien are at this point basically partners in trying to guide the two teenage gremlins away from doing anything too catastrophic, and getting absolutely hammered and/or into fights with the biggest thing around to unwind.

e: Also, Tataru is precious and must be protected. If my WoL were ever to consider any of the Scions as a potential romantic partner, it'd have to be either Thancred or Y'Shtola, but, er. There are already oh-so-many reasons why that Would Not Happen.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 10, 2024

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My wol was a fisherwoman from a tiny village on a tiny island off the north coast of Eorzea that sunk in the calamity. Technically a part of Ala Mhigo but got lost to records during the mad kings reign so the Garleans (and resistance, and Eorzeans) all kind of never checked on it (Gaius once saw it on an old map but it was so small and poorly drawn he mistook it for a stain). Main trading partners were moogles and the rare exhausted Ixal airship that blew really far off course.

Calamity happened and what survivors there were wandered south through the mountains and into the Shroud with moogle uh. Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I played FF11 for way too long and couldn't get into XIV until very late despite trying hard to because all my XI friends went there.

Finally clicked with me in 2020 or so.

But I like to play that my WoL is the same character from from XI, who happened to fall between the cracks in reality during the calamity. Was it Vana'diel that got destroyed? Who knows! But he has a gut feeling it's still out there, especially after meeting all these other FF crossover people who end up going back to their worlds. :v: but at this point he's been here so long and made so many friends he's torn whether he would return even if he could.

Originally he's from Rabao but somehow ended up a pirate. Bring Corsair to XIV, SE :argh: But since he was a Corsair in Vana'diel he picked up being a Machinist fairly quickly.

E: Iroha was a bit awkward because he had already met her, but it was at the wrong time for her so he didn't bring it up. The Iroha in 14 is before she goes back to meet the past me for the first time, but I'm from when she already went back after finishing her mission.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 10, 2024