Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

nice obelisk idiot posted:

I meant more like how deeply people can hurt. or how arrogance is a deep fundamental defense mechanism that I struggle with often, as displayed by some of my posting. i kinda dug a hole for myself with this derail tbh.

I think those sort of realisations can coincide in time with someone getting interested in meditation, and would happen anyway as a natural byproduct of the same questioning of ones life in general that leads them to start meditating. Then meditation gets the credit because that's what people expect the result of meditation to be. But really people start meditating when they're already in a period of self-reflection.. Correlation not causation. Like if someone went to somewhere distraction-free it would have the same effect of greater access to memories and more space to think that a silent retreat would, and the much vaulted meditation technique is essentially just you know.. the psychological equivalent of hand-waving and a reason to ask for donations (and allegiance to the teacher, free promotion of the teacher/school/sect/religious ideology, endless unpaid volunteering work etc etc).

e: In my opinion all the low-calorie diet, breath meditation, sleep deprivation, chanting being played over loudspeakers really does is make you more amenable to the new map of reality the 'teacher' repeatedly insists that you will see, rather than being some magical formula to mystically root out 'mental defilements'

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Yeah, I actually do enjoy meditation as a grounding, processing and relaxation exercise, but pretending it delivers the answers of the universe is no more wishful thinking than obliging yourself every Sunday to kneel will allow you to channel a version of the Abrahamic God.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah, I actually do enjoy meditation as a grounding, processing and relaxation exercise, but pretending it delivers the answers of the universe is no more wishful thinking than obliging yourself every Sunday to kneel will allow you to channel a version of the Abrahamic God.

As if most Christians actually attend church.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
all i learned from meditation was how to do kegels any time, any place

super useful for being a better gently caress, but im not sure that helps with the whole existence is suffering thing

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol dawg how can meditation “really gently caress you up” haha

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

*downward dogs, coquettishly* gently caress me up fam!

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
How can essentially being hypnotised into believing that life is literally nothing but an endless kaleidoscope of meaningless suffering that extends far beyond this life into limitless other lives that you will in some way experience, unless you do pretty much the most difficult task a human can possibly achieve and attain enlightenment, mess with your head?

Also the intensive meditation retreats can sometimes trigger psychosis and other mental health challenges. There's a list of symptoms people have reported from intensive meditation at this charity which helps people with meditation-induced mental health crises https://www.cheetahhouse.org/symptoms

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I just died and damned if LSBB wasn't right. There's a lot of freaking paperwork.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You have a center, the Earth has a center, the Sun has a center, the Galaxy has a center....

Find your center, and then find your center in relation to other centers....

You will find

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Turns out you don't have a soul until you turn 5 or 6 so toddlers and pre-K are inherently easier for ghosts to possess

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Turns out you don't have a soul until you turn 5 or 6 so toddlers and pre-K are inherently easier for ghosts to possess

This is the most believable thing in the thread so far.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

nice obelisk idiot posted:

there was some stuff physically locked up in me

Sounds like you should have gone to a locksmith first, but whatevs.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

What happens to our eternally reincarnating souls after the heat death of the universe? We all just floatin' around the infinite void of absolute darkness for the rest of forever?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Stunt-Puffin posted:

What happens to our eternally reincarnating souls after the heat death of the universe? We all just floatin' around the infinite void of absolute darkness for the rest of forever?
Honestly sounds chiller than having to pay taxes and worry about rent

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

3 year olds hear stuff in conversation and repeat it and adults are credulous and have lovely memories so they forget they mentioned it around the kid

my cousin was allegedly a reincarnation bc initially he walked w a limp that my great grandfather only picked up from time in a POW camp in ww2. but like, logically it seems more likely they shared biomechanics and that limp resulted from the muscles not being strong enough (ie from a baby just learning to walk and not having built up the strength yet, and muscle atrophy from malnutrition)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stunt-Puffin posted:

Eventually all becomes One, that then begins a new Universe.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

redshirt posted:

Eventually all becomes One, that then begins a new Universe.

Sucks

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm the second coming of David Bowie

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Shrugs

You work with what you are given

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
If you can't achieve nirvana by the time the universe is over then I'm pretty sure the collective consciousness is better off without you

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Merging my consciousness with the unified godhead sounds lame leave me alone.

Albino Broccoli
Aug 5, 2022
Can someone tell me why I got reincarnated into a depressed anxious wreck

I would like to speak with the world manager please this is bullshit

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TBLALV posted:

Can someone tell me why I got reincarnated into a depressed anxious wreck

I would like to speak with the world manager please this is bullshit

Karma bro, sorry.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I always thought if they made a sequel it should be called The Other One.

I thought it up as a dumb joke but now that I think about it, the plot could be the formation of universe 126, so now there's another Law out there. And because he's had his powers his whole life, due to coming into existence after You Law started redistributing power, he's way more used to them than Gabriel, so Gabe has to go get Yu Law out of prison to beat this guy and save the day.

Jason Statham also collects a paycheque.

The Two

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

I'm the second coming of David Bowie

Afaik David bowie was not bald to the bone!!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Merging my consciousness with the unified godhead sounds lame leave me alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGPlc_aAk8s

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Stunt-Puffin posted:

God something something Quantum Fluctuations something about Simulation Theory and it all makes sense again.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

:hmmyes:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

OMFG FURRY posted:

why is the pug getting sluttier

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

*downward dogs, coquettishly*

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Aren't 3-year-olds a little too young to be reincarnated souls? I would feel uncomfortable allowing a strange adult be that near my child.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Poohs Packin posted:

If you give something like $100,000 to a Buddhist temple they will confirm that you are in fact a re-incarnated buddhist monk and that makes it totally okay for you to wear a gi everywhere and bow to asian people in public.

so 2.5 Monk fees == 1 Canadian Citizenship fee (visa-by-way-of-investment)?

I think I'll keep saving until I have the full 250, dual citizenship seems more useful than having someone else tell me about the godhood I already know embodies me

The Bible
May 8, 2010

The ones that are even more confusing are the ones that are like "He's the reincarnation of my dad" when the dad was alive when the kid was born.

I'm sure you could shoehorn some quantum superpositioning argument into it, though.

Also perplexing when they are some flavor of Christian. I hear a lot about funerals where a butterfly gets in the building or something and yup, that's definitely grandma, saying goodbye to us. Also she's in Heaven.

And then I guess grandma either gets stuck in the building, dies, and dries up a couple days later or gets eaten by a bird or whatever.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 11, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

The Hello Machine posted:

Aren't 3-year-olds a little too young to be reincarnated souls? I would feel uncomfortable allowing a strange adult be that near my child.

It's reincarnation, not possession. Your child is the strange adult.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The Bible posted:

The ones that are even more confusing are the ones that are like "He's the reincarnation of my dad" when the dad was alive when the kid was born.

I'm sure you could shoehorn some quantum superpositioning argument into it, though.

Also perplexing when they are some flavor of Christian. I hear a lot about funerals where a butterfly gets in the building or something and yup, that's definitely grandma, saying goodbye to us. Also she's in Heaven.

And then I guess grandma either gets stuck in the building, dies, and dries up a couple days later or gets eaten by a bird or whatever.

Ironic she would die the same way twice in a row

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Did lowtax get reincarnated

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah he's either Aaron Carter, James Van der Beak, or Seth Meyers kid.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

if he was he's probably something like a jellyfish now. dude couldn't use his spine responsibly the last time around

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My dad reincarnated as ur dad

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

UR DAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Your dad reincarnated as me.