Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Master chef hosed in the show and Cortana watched it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
is scooby the inquisitor?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just start with Space Marines to get people hooked and then move to Imperial Guard or Adeptus Mechanicus for the people allowed to be characters. Space Marines are entertaining in small doses.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

Is it not set at the end of the world?

Nah so off the top of my head:

Warhammer fantasy world explodes everyone dies

Chaos fucks around gets bored fucks off

Gods old and new take up life in worlds slowly coalescing around the winds of magic

Age of wonders

Chaos is back baby! Refugees crowd into realm of azyr

Age of sucking rear end

Age of sigmar begins with unveiling of storm cast, the greatest heroes of all reforged into unkillable beings with no downsides whatsoever! An alliance of basically every non chaos god forms that will absolutely last the test of time and won't disentegrate the second it encounters friction

Chaos kicked on its rear end, slannesh kicked to another dimension

Stormcast start to show problems. The rear end in a top hat gods of betrayal betray.

Chaos comes back but now everyone else is strong enough to not get overwhelmed immediately

Present

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just start with Space Marines to get people hooked and then move to Imperial Guard or Adeptus Mechanicus for the people allowed to be characters. Space Marines are entertaining in small doses.

But how will they shoehorn in the unnecessary nudity in the first episode?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

Gods old and new take up life in worlds slowly coalescing around the winds of magic

Age of wonders

Age of sucking rear end

Age of sigmar begins with unveiling of storm cast, the greatest heroes of all reforged into unkillable beings with no downsides whatsoever! An alliance of basically every non chaos god forms that will absolutely last the test of time and won't disentegrate the second it encounters friction

Stormcast start to show problems. The rear end in a top hat gods of betrayal betray.

Chaos comes back but now everyone else is strong enough to not get overwhelmed immediately

Present

If I was looking for a way to make my gobbos fight dwarves, this is the most repelling backstory imaginable

The Bible
May 8, 2010

cult_hero posted:

Poxwalkers

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

"Rites of Passage" was so much fun and I hope Lady Chettamandey comes back. We need more angry old moms in the setting. Hell, have her team up with Trazyn to go antiquing.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vampire Panties posted:

If I was looking for a way to make my gobbos fight dwarves, this is the most repelling backstory imaginable

Okay, imagine that humans are all Germans with English accents or Norse pirates and Mexicans are lizards.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

They got Brian Blessed to do the voice of Gotrek in the age of Sigmar slayer books and it is S tier casting.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

the French also exist. Conglomoslavs, too.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Here's my fantasy game about orks and humans fighting. The backstory is The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy by Peter Wilson only any time someone non-white is mentioned just replace them with a skeleton or something.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Benagain posted:

Here's my fantasy game about orks and humans fighting. The backstory is The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy by Peter Wilson only any time someone non-white is mentioned just replace them with a skeleton or something.

How much are the models? Do you sell paint?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

are there dragons, and more importantly are the dragons themed to each army

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Benagain posted:

Age of wonders

Age of sucking rear end

Present

Nah the alliance of non-Chaos gods happened before the age of Chsos, and the fracturing of that alliance was what allowed Chaos to take over so much of the Realms.

Since the Stormcadt were unleashed they’ve won back big chunks of the Realms and established big cities, but Chaos still probably controls more territory, including the crucial Eightpoints.

Slaanesh was actually captured shortly after the Fantasy world was destroyed, because during the destruction she ate so many elf souls she was, as hard as this may be to believe, temporarily sated. In this moment of weakness the elf gods were able to trap Slaanesh and bind him in 66 chains each of which can only be broken by a different paradox. The elf gods have been milking Slaanesh for the elf souls in him and using them to create new elf’s in the Mortal Realms. But over time Slaanesh and her mortal followers have been able to break some of the chains binding him, and each time a chain breaks her influence in the Mortal Realms grows.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Smugworth posted:

Do you think they ever have pillow fights on their imperial cruisers

I think a Sister of Battle pillow fight would end in at least a few fatalities.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cult_hero posted:

Easy, Slaanesh worshippers. Five minutes of the camera focused on some bouncing titties and then a space marine walks in and for the rest of the episode it's about space marines and orks.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there is a standard Universal 40k Imperium Plot. the plot goes like this: imperium's fighting a middlingly bad bad (orks, tau, etc.) but wait! there was a hidden threat! it's the greater bad bad! (genestealers, chaos, crons). fight them too. win or lose, doesn't matter, although it's some miserably pyrrhic victory usually

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

necromunda hive western starring henry cavill as kal jericho and danny devito as scabbs

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there is a standard Universal 40k Imperium Plot. the plot goes like this: imperium's fighting a middlingly bad bad (orks, tau, etc.) but wait! there was a hidden threat! it's the greater bad bad! (genestealers, chaos, crons). fight them too. win or lose, doesn't matter, although it's some miserably pyrrhic victory usually

Sort of yeah, although Soulstorm and Dark Crusade threw out that formula and were probably better off for it. And Dawn of War 2's expansions were all over the place, with the first one being All Chaos All The Time and the second one being a big clusterfuck right out of the gate

I didn't play Dawn of War 3 because I heard it was bad, did that follow the formula?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Mr Teatime posted:

They got Brian Blessed to do the voice of Gotrek in the age of Sigmar slayer books and it is S tier casting.

Are you loving kidding me?

I wouldn't think he'd come within 500 yards of this franchise. That's nuts.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
their margins are comparable to tech companies, so they are better-resourced than you'd expect

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

necromunda hive western starring henry cavill as kal jericho and danny devito as scabbs

Only if they accurately replicate the character's trademark hairstyle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

their margins are comparable to tech companies, so they are better-resourced than you'd expect

For at least a while GW was the most profitable company in the UK. Lol they're like the last actual manufacturer there.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

I wouldn't think he'd come within 500 yards of this franchise. That's nuts.

He was in Flash Gordon, of course he’d do Warhammer

(Honestly I get the impression he’s one of those actors that just does whatever he thinks is fun, sorta like Tim Curry)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It's not the money, or that it's below him it's just that I associate him with much more lighthearted stuff and he's kind of like a living cartoon.

Edit: this is not a bad thing. I'm tracking this down just because of this fact.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 10, 2024

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It's not the money, or that it's below him it's just that I associate him with much more lighthearted stuff and he's kind of like a living cartoon.

Edit: this is not a bad thing. I'm tracking this down just because of this fact.

I believe the first one is realm slayer. It’s not a terrible entry point for age of sigmar because it’s essentially Gotrek getting spat back out of the realms of chaos aeons after the old world blew up and going “WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS NONSENSE”, Brian Blessed booming away and chewing the scenery.

https://youtu.be/nO5aGzE6oRo?si=uQDt1KqNxuDZrSX9

How can you not love him as Gotrek.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 10, 2024

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

I think a Sister of Battle pillow fight would end in at least a few fatalities.

It's all fun and games until you wake up the Dogmata.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah if you're skeptical of AoS Gotrek is a fantastic entry point because 50% of his dialogue is talking about how much this new world sucks and the dwarves aren't really dwarves and the elves got even worse somehow

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
AoS as a setting seems pretty locked down, which I guess gives me a bit of an aversion to it. As boilerplate Tolkien-meets-Lovecraft standard issue D&D WH Fantasy was/is, it felt like there was more possibility to it, but that could just be being a teenager and I'm generally a big believer of giving people just enough lore to make them speculate and fill in the gaps.

Edit: oh drat, Skaven are still in there, nice!

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 10, 2024

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
What do you mean locked down? No room for your own stories or?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Disco Pope posted:

AoS as a setting seems pretty locked down, which I guess gives me a bit of an aversion to it. As boilerplate Tolkien-meets-Lovecraft standard issue D&D WH Fantasy was/is, it felt like there was more possibility to it, but that could just be being a teenager and I'm generally a big believer of giving people just enough lore to make them speculate and fill in the gaps.

Edit: oh drat, Skaven are still in there, nice!

I feel the opposite. Like, consider the map of Bretonnia GW put out. It's got the area divided up by family crest. Of course there's space in there to make your own branch families and minor or disgraced nobles or whatever, but it's still pretty defined

Compared to the map of the Heartlands of Ghur. There are definite cities, but most of the labels are vaguely evocative names of regions.

Fantasy feels more like a defined universe you explore, while AoS is a setting to create your own stories in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gripweed posted:

The problem is, if it's about Space Marines it has to be animated. A live action series can probably do like, one Space Marine character. But a bunch of guys in the big suits would be a big expensive production nightmare.

Why do you think they'd ignore how Space Marines are made? I don't see what they would gain from that.

I really do think the first series will be about an Inquisitor. Maybe a straight up Eisenhorn adaptation, maybe something original. But it's the obvious move. Your cast is mostly basically normal people, you can film it in pretty cheap and easy sci-fi sets, the plot can largely be about politics and drama instead of constant warfare, and you can have a audience viewpoint character in the retinue, somehow feral worlder or hive city urchin who gets picked up because they have a unique skill or whatever. It's the cheapest and smartest move for introducing the 40k setting to a general audience.

i think first series is either inquisitor or following guardsmen. space marines show up very late in the show.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Benagain posted:

What do you mean locked down? No room for your own stories or?

Yeah, but it sounds like I'm wrong, and that's a good thing! I'm off work this week, so hope to pop in to a store to trial some games when I have the free time.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I really dislike the obvious copy/pasted southeast Asia in the map of Age of Sigmar. It's so lazy:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

I think this is why I dislike AoS - I can't stand the way they named things. On this map, how many things are named maw, and how many things are synonyms of eating. Yeah this is the continent of beasts which eat things I guess, but its somehow more boring than making everything Not-England. Everything has puerile adjective-based names (yeah I know 40k does the same but in Latin) For example, instead of dwarf slayers they're now Doomseekers from the Fyreslayer lodge or whatever.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL that the continents themselves are trying to eat each other.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vampire Panties posted:

I think this is why I dislike AoS - I can't stand the way they named things. On this map, how many things are named maw, and how many things are synonyms of eating. Yeah this is the continent of beasts which eat things I guess, but its somehow more boring than making everything Not-England. Everything has puerile adjective-based names (yeah I know 40k does the same but in Latin) For example, instead of dwarf slayers they're now Doomseekers from the Fyreslayer lodge or whatever.

It’s not random, Mawpaths are the routes travelled by nomadic Ogor tribes. So the Heartgulper Mawpath is the territory of the Heartgulper Ogor tribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its for never losing a copyright suit again

they got laughed out of court for trying to defend their spurious copyright on Space Marines, but Adeptus Astartes can readily be defended. (Imperial Guard vs. Astra Militarum, etc)