Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The American Friend fuckin rocks. Easily my favorite of the Wim Wenders movies i've seen by a huge margin (i haven't seen Paris Texas though)

Make time to watch Paris, Texas. It's one of those movies I put off seeing forever, thinking there's no way it's as good as the reputation it has. Then it turned out to be even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

nonathlon posted:

The original book is a bit difficult to film. It's very internal - Ripley is a seething mass of insecurities and fears, with his thoughts running all over the place. That's very hard to put on screen, although the current release comes close with lots of awkward silences and the leads twitchy and slightly stiff manner. Minghella doesn't try to show that, with the result that Ripley comes off as being more ... calculating, cold, more of a ruthless killer?

I like the Minghella version nonetheless. Decisions had to be made to translate page to screen and it made certain ones.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yes and no? None of the three i mentioned are strictly faithful to the novels, but I feel like they all do a better job of adapting Ripley as a character. He's supposed to be a charming sociopath and instead Matt Damon plays him as an awkward nerd - granted, The Talented Mr. Ripley is the first Ripley novel so he is still sort of finding his way in that one, but he's still supposed to be someone that you'd understand why a rich playboy would enjoy having him around, and I don't think the take on him in that movie sells that aspect at all. He's too mopey.

Jude Law and Philip Seymour Hoffman are both great in it though, so it's not without its charms.

thanks ops, this clarifies a lot and makes me interested in checking out the novels :cheers:

e: and the other movies as well

the milk machine has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Apr 9, 2024

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

StashAugustine posted:

I mean he's not really wrong about the political climate but civil wars are cruel and sad. Watch Battle for Algiers or something

But the Battle of Algiers is old and in black and white.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Uncle Wemus posted:

I wonder why this show has a nazi fanbase

they have drug problems that make them poo poo themselves

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

trevorreznik posted:

Make time to watch Paris, Texas. It's one of those movies I put off seeing forever, thinking there's no way it's as good as the reputation it has. Then it turned out to be even better.

Every time I hear people talking about the movie Paris, Texas, I think they're talking about the movie Happy, Texas, which I remember liking the one time I saw it 20 years ago

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Every time I hear people talking about the movie Paris, Texas, I think they're talking about the movie Happy, Texas, which I remember liking the one time I saw it 20 years ago

Steve Zahn, Ileana Douglas, William H. Macy, that's a cast right there

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yes and no? None of the three i mentioned are strictly faithful to the novels, but I feel like they all do a better job of adapting Ripley as a character. He's supposed to be a charming sociopath and instead Matt Damon plays him as an awkward nerd - granted, The Talented Mr. Ripley is the first Ripley novel so he is still sort of finding his way in that one, but he's still supposed to be someone that you'd understand why a rich playboy would enjoy having him around, and I don't think the take on him in that movie sells that aspect at all. He's too mopey.

Jude Law and Philip Seymour Hoffman are both great in it though, so it's not without its charms.

I gotta say i really highly disagree. Matt Damon and Jude Law sing that Americano song together. They get drunk, play music together and really enjoy themselves. After that I totally got that they were friends and maybe even something more

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m curious how the civil war movie manages to “not take a side” despite repeatedly trumpeting how evil and authoritarian Mr Third-Term President is.

I mean not curious enough to waste my time watching it obviously

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I like to think that Damon's Ripley went on to work in the CIA and The Good Sheperd is a sequel

lots of crossover in terms of general vibes and ivy league psychos

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol why do nazis love smiling friends

god drat it

I love the show, but kind of saw that coming from day one. I honestly don't care all that much if they make jokes in good faith or not, as long as they are funny. That said, off the top of my head, there's a lot of potential chud bait:

1) The Boss looks like a racial caricature.
2) Jokes the mess with gender conceptions that are also gross, like the Boss and his kid in the first episode.
3) The cancelled crowd killing the demon for "wearing black face".
4) The I'm With Her shirt on the terrible character (which was appropriate obviously)

All those jokes are funny though. Like, yeah a chud could read point two as an anti-trans joke, but I think it's just a very funny bit of gross absurdity, and it doesn't need any reading beyond that.

anyway cartoon is funny, chuds are being chuds

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Augus posted:

I’m curious how the civil war movie manages to “not take a side” despite repeatedly trumpeting how evil and authoritarian Mr Third-Term President is.

I mean not curious enough to waste my time watching it obviously
garland is taking a side, he's just too dumb to realize he's doing it.

I'm glad monkey man didn't make communists the bad guys like it was seemingly speculated, as I'm looking forward to that now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Fighting Elegy posted:

I gotta say i really highly disagree. Matt Damon and Jude Law sing that Americano song together. They get drunk, play music together and really enjoy themselves. After that I totally got that they were friends and maybe even something more

I think there's way more focus on their friendship in that movie. And way more focus on how pretty Dickie and Marge are.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Durf posted:

I like to think that Damon's Ripley went on to work in the CIA and The Good Sheperd is a sequel

lots of crossover in terms of general vibes and ivy league psychos

:hmmyes:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

that part is pretty fun.

it's not a bad movie, but i dunno. i like my Tom Ripley to be at least slightly charming.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The whole appeal of a civil war movie seems better suited to a miniseries, like the thing that makes it interesting is the political backdrop and lead up, not generic army men and explosions. And then he says he "doesn't want to take sides"? Like... does the country descend into civil war because everyone is... bored????

And lmao about a third term being some cataclysmic turn of events, has Alex Dumbland ever heard of a little guy in us history named FDR?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't bill Clinton try to make hay out of removing the term limit too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Apparently the Helen Lewis thanks might be a notorious British TERF.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm been waiting for the day when people comb through credits to find those whom are problematic. It seems to have arrived and my heart fills with joy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm been waiting for the day when people comb through credits to find those whom are problematic. It seems to have arrived and my heart fills with joy.

that was like 5 or 6 years ago. get with the times

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

paris, texas is great. maclaine is amazing and it's jack black's best performance

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Perfect Days is really good. mans still got it

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Always pirate movies

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

notorious British TERF.

tautology

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Perfect Days is confirmed good

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

wading through the 300 effects artists in search of motherfuckers

guy who spent a year rendering a tongue... you are CANCELLED

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You can always find fun things when you look through the credits

It's 20 years later and I still don't know why there was a muppeteer credited for Passion of the Christ

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Alex Garland A24 Civil War
Says film apolitical
Credits terf Helen Lewis
Pays money to Actual Nazi Andy Ngo

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

No one touches my
TERF!!
LIGHT WARRIORS??
You impertinent fools,
I, Alex Garland, will knock
you all down!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I was looking forward to Civil War since it promises more American deaths than any other war movie yet. But I'll have to enjoy it as a torrent rather than a patron of the cinema.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy8aJw1vYHo

a million views in half an hour. The slop cometh

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

And lmao about a third term being some cataclysmic turn of events, has Alex Dumbland ever heard of a little guy in us history named FDR?

I subscribe to MAOISM THIRD TERMISM

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nonsense posted:

I love slop.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Nonsense posted:

i hope the hangover guys are in this one, as a fun cameo

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

yes mr @Sforce1975 you're right

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
joker 2 is being interviewed by a psychiatrist, cut to it's ken jeong

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

well i guess its different enough to trick people into watching another superhero film

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

wonder if we will get more panic about incels shooting up movie theaters again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the most dangerous movie ever.