Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

The first Yakuza game I played was 0 and once Majima shows up, it's the first time I noticed a change in dialect, the way a person speaks. When reading what he was saying I was really confused as to whether he's (forgive my limited vocabulary) supposed to be a "redneck" or "gangster." The abbreviating gerunds, like "Listen to what I'm sayin'. They're goin' to be playin' at the..." etc., whatever) could go either way. I think something like "youse" would have helped edge my read more toward gangster but "youse" is also such a silly word and I don't know that I've seen it used outside media playing off the American gangster thing as an exaggerated trope.

Redneck gangster is probably pretty much what they were going for.

Majima specifically also has a very over the top obviously fake accent that tends to disappear when he gets serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Book of Love quest in Skyrim is really good. Instead of going around killing people you're going around giving them relationship advice. And then at end you reunite two ghosts so that they can move on to the afterlife.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Redneck gangster is probably pretty much what they were going for.

Majima specifically also has a very over the top obviously fake accent that tends to disappear when he gets serious.

Majima and his extreme commitment to the bit is one of the highlights of the franchise.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Just finished Yakuza 3 and man what an ending. Can't believe Kiriyu died!

*After credit scene* Kiryiu is alive?! Man what a rollercoaster.

Vic has a new favorite as of 12:12 on Apr 8, 2024

Isepic
May 7, 2002

Vic posted:

Oh, my sweet summer child...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vic posted:

Fun Yakuza 3 fact: In the director’s cut, Rikiya’s death monologue lasts until about three chapters into Yakuza 5.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Meowywitch posted:

why is it never a great lakes accent, ya know?

Cause for the love of cry-eye, no one's gonna take a youper seriously as a hero or villain with dat kinda accent. It's that whole "Midwest nice" that outside'a da Fargo movie/show, people tend to underestimate. And that's when they get'cha, with hot dish.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The American side of the western Great Lakes, that is. You probably don't want a Rochester accent, and Americans cannot handle hearing any Canadian accents.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CzarChasm posted:

Cause for the love of cry-eye, no one's gonna take a youper seriously as a hero or villain with dat kinda accent. It's that whole "Midwest nice" that outside'a da Fargo movie/show, people tend to underestimate. And that's when they get'cha, with hot dish.

I grew up and went to high school in northern Wisconsin (really far northern) and I had to learn how to suppress my accent because no one took me seriously when they heard me talk.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I don't think Kiryu ever cries as hard or as long as he does in Yakuza 3.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Gaiden?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

absolutely gaiden

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

Kiryu's soul is immense.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

credburn posted:

I mean that whole sequence was great and Kiryu's actor really did act the hell out of that scene.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

credburn posted:

He knew Rikiya was too pure and good for this world

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

credburn posted:

I know I probably only mind because I played 0 first, but I was surprised he didn't seem very broken up about Kashiwagi

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, in retrospect he was right to not be all that torn up about it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The fast travel item in dragon's dogma looks like this:

https://i.imgur.com/dH1NNY1.mp4

what happens if you try to use it indoors?

https://i.imgur.com/0whPpXL.mp4

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Like Dragon Quest, but more sophisticated!

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Owl Inspector posted:

That is fantastic, they could have just had the popup tell you it doesn't work but going through the effort of animating how ridiculous you look is so much better

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do you get the item back when that happens?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

haveblue posted:

You gotta pay $1.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A few pages late to Faro Chat, but I played Watch Dogs: Legion next after HZD and while Skye Larsen didn't quite measure up to Ted's enormity, they were still a notably lovely Billionaire.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The WD Legion side-plot about Skye Larsen's mind uploading tech had some genuinely creepy bits in it, the 'upload pruning' of the House AI especially.

Played WD:L straight after Horizon Zero Dawn; Never trust a loving billionaire!

Not a great or even good game to play, but the big Ubi Open World had a lot of effort put into it and the story had its moments.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

haveblue posted:

Yeah it doesn’t dick you over but it’s incredibly funny when you forget about it

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Owl Inspector posted:

It's great too that this is entirely based on ceiling height and not location. You can use these in deep caves if you find a large enough room. Conversely you can't use them in the desert town open-air bazaar if you happen to be standing under a banner of cloth.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

In the original Disgaea, there's a stage where the enemies are a Prinny baseball team. Every enemy has a glove weapon but the only one that has any armor is the catcher.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A few pages late to Faro Chat, but I played Watch Dogs: Legion next after HZD and while Skye Larsen didn't quite measure up to Ted's enormity, they were still a notably lovely Billionaire.

Not a great or even good game to play, but the big Ubi Open World had a lot of effort put into it and the story had its moments.

WD:L is worse than WD2 but better than WD1, and the drones are fun as hell to gently caress around with. And Clan Kelley is completely vile and evil and I so enjoyed taking them down.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
WD:L is a set of pretty great open world toys (the ridable cargo drone is amazing) wrapped around a character swapping gimmick that doesn't really add much and a cowardly desire to portray near-future Britain as a dystopian hellhole without once mentioning Brexit because video games aren't political

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

haveblue posted:

WD:L is a set of pretty great open world toys (the ridable cargo drone is amazing) wrapped around a character swapping gimmick that doesn't really add much and a cowardly desire to portray near-future Britain as a dystopian hellhole without once mentioning Brexit because video games aren't political

it is incredibly funny that far cry 5 tried to be "apolitical" despite being centered around loving religious doomsday cult in Montana

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Britain now is a dystopian hellhole in which nobody mentions Brexit.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

haveblue posted:

I think the UK flag in Legion is a reference to Scotland becoming independent, since the blue field is black instead. But yes, the "nae politics please" is overbearing. London is one of the most surveilled cities on the planet (in terms of security cameras per capita) but the game refuses to interact with that fact at all.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Marcade posted:

In the original Disgaea, there's a stage where the enemies are a Prinny baseball team. Every enemy has a glove weapon but the only one that has any armor is the catcher.

lol

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I just double checked and it's even better. The catcher is wearing the "protector" accessory which has the item description "baseball equipment".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Xvk8Q0Nk8

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Helldivers 2 has a million great little things like being able to make snowballs randomly on ice planets or jetpacks loving up your cape but the best thing is how well they're doing a live service game narrative.

Early on, they were teasing mech suits, saying that the factories on this one planet were producing them and players had a very small chance to randomly fine one in a mission but oh no, the enemies took the planet! So after the playerbase worked together to liberate the planet, the mech suits were enabled to buy and use.

Since then they've had cool narrative events based on player completing or failing various campaigns and then introducing new enemies and mission types. There's even conspiracy theories hinting at the arrival of a third faction.

It's so good and way better than just seeing new enemies added in the patch notes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Illuminates are probably next, but there may also be a fourth race coming in as well along with the possibility of adjoining factions fighting each other as well as Super Earth.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

One of the side NPCs on your ship mentions Rebels at one point and it would be dope as gently caress if you had dudes calling in the same kinds of orbital strikes and turrets and poo poo you do

but yeah Helldivers 2 is one of the only games actually living up to its Live Service potential and you know Sony have absolutely learned the wrong lesson when they were praising it and saying that it convinced them to do more Live Service stuff not too long ago lol

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Bugs cant fly

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Flying bugs are fascist propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007