Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I was once jumped in a parking lot and put the guy in the hospital. It was not a fun thing to do, and I do not look back with pride. Although I did not follow up, there is a good chance that the injuries I gave him were life altering. Yes, I can fight.

However, I was much younger then (this was 40 years ago). I now make sure that I carry something that would suffice to even the odds a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

ATTN: REAL ADVICE

The first move I will always make in any sort of confrontation or fight is a block. I will block their flailing hook, their angry charge, their raised gun.

The block is the best offense in a fight. If it works, your opponent is now wide open to any kind of counter punch you'd like.

For example: Bar Bro charges with a right hook.

Blocked with a left upper forearm block. Leaving that bro fully open for a counterstrike of whatever I choose. Like a quick jab to the chin or nose.

Just make sure that whatever action you take actually manipulates their body in some way.

In your example, simply throwing up a block doesn't really change their attack pattern unless you, for example, cause their right arm to to fly backwards, moving that side of their body away from you.

But then you need to be wary of that action causing the left side of their body (e.g. their left hand) to come at you. It can be from just sheer momentum.

I remember something that blew my loving mind when I was about 15 and learning Kenpo. I blocked a right straight punch, on the outside of their arm with my left forearm, and he just simply folded his arm at his elbow. The momentum carried him forward, and I ate the elbow.

The problem was that I blocked his arm slightly below his elbow, on his forearm. Gotta make sure you block above or on the elbow.

Lol, then later in life I got into cimande for a while, which is all about smashing the gently caress out of whatever comes at you with your conditioned forearms and fists. Then it didn't matter how or where you blocked.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 10, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Here's a real fight story:

Just a few weeks after I got my black belt in Tae Kwon Do I was walking up to my apartment door and my SPIDEY SENSE!!!!!! went off and I turned around and there was this tall skinny white man running right at me with a sledgehammer poised above his shoulder, screaming "Im gonna kill you!!!!"

I was first internally pissed - this is no loving way to mug people!! - and then I lept at him while executing an X block and screaming at a high pitch. I blunted his swing and then took the sledgehammer away from him in one move. I then proceeded to kick his rear end but he got lucky and bounced off and away and ran into his waiting get away car, who drove off. I ran off after them but it was amazing, my eyesight had shrunk to a pinpoint. I could make out zero detail of the car or license plate.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

If I hear the music, I'm gonna dance.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

In fat camp they taught us a lot about self defense

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Cornwind Evil posted:

I am fairly large, but my pain tolerance is non-existent and I'm naturally cowardly and hate conflict, so, maybe if I was in animal in a corner desperation I could do a thing or two, but odds are no, I cannot fight.

I once read somewhere that the problem with 'fighting' is that even if you learn martial arts or boxing or MMA, even if you're very good at that sort of thing, that it doesn't really prepare you for 'a fight' because you'd normally use what you'd learned in contests where there's a structure and rules, whereas there's no rules in 'a fight'. Hence, the only way to get good at 'fighting' is the same way you get good at anything else; experience, ie, you get into a lot of fights. The problem is, most people's innate empathy means they resist, on some level, hurting their fellow person, so the kind of people who get 'the fighting experience' are the types who have very poor impulse control and low, if non-existent empathy, and against those sorts, you're basically screwed before you start a lot of the time. The best way for the average person to get into such a headspace, ie force down their empathy so they don't hold back, in ANY way, subconscious or not, is to get drunk or thoroughly whacked on some kind of drug. Which is bad for its own obvious reasons.

That may be true to a point, though I would say that drugs/drink are not required for the correct fighting mindset. What is required are two things: Acceptance that you will be taking damage as a routine matter of course, and the acceptance that you're not stopping until the other person isn't resisting, period. And when I say those things, I don't mean like, you're consciously thinking about it. I mean, it is a definite and absolute certainty in that moment that both things are true.

The lack of empathy comes in when people go further even than that, inflicting further punishment on an opponent who can't fight back. That's the scary poo poo, and that's the reason one should avoid physical conflict if they can, because many people don't have that sort of impulse control.

I wouldn't put much stock in people's "innate empathy."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

That may be true to a point, though I would say that drugs/drink are not required for the correct fighting mindset. What is required are two things: Acceptance that you will be taking damage as a routine matter of course, and the acceptance that you're not stopping until the other person isn't resisting, period. And when I say those things, I don't mean like, you're consciously thinking about it. I mean, it is a definite and absolute certainty in that moment that both things are true.

The lack of empathy comes in when people go further even than that, inflicting further punishment on an opponent who can't fight back. That's the scary poo poo, and that's the reason one should avoid physical conflict if they can, because many people don't have that sort of impulse control.

I wouldn't put much stock in people's "innate empathy."

There are good honest to innocent civilians out there....

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

redshirt posted:

There are good honest to innocent civilians out there....

Tracking. But not generally when you're at the point of getting in a fight. You don't usually get in fights with people who are acting in the moment as reasonable civilians. And you shouldn't trust that they are when they're actively trying to punch you in the face until you fall to the ground.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Most of the many, many encounters I've had have not ended up on the ground. I think fights between unskilled fighters do, though. Or in an asymmetric fight where some poor sap is getting clowned on by someone who is skilled.

Also, realize that martial arts is a set of perishable skills. If you don't keep it up, you'll get sloppy.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

isaboo posted:

Most of the many, many encounters I've had have not ended up on the ground. I think fights between unskilled fighters do, though. Or in an asymmetric fight where some poor sap is getting clowned on by someone who is skilled.

Also, realize that martial arts is a set of perishable skills. If you don't keep it up, you'll get sloppy.

Suppose it depends, most of the ones I've ever been in had, both before and after I had some training. In any case, I usually intend to take it to the ground, personally. You just have more options and control, generally.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

isaboo posted:

Which is reason 1049 that Batman is so unrealistic (even while of course being the most realistic super hero):He would have to keep training, all the time. Many hours a day...

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MrQwerty vs Redshirt

My money is on Qwerty personally

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

MrQwerty vs Redshirt

My money is on Qwerty personally

I'll take some of that action

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
If any of y'all want to learn self-defense, check out Master Ken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyXhysmMNhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVblMBRwBLQ&t=166s

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Story time!

I've seen some wild poo poo, mostly when I was a bouncer and when I was a bodyguard. A few things that come to mind are -

When I was working at a strip club, I and another bouncer ejected a couple of guys who were arguing over one of the girls. They got into a tussle inside but it was easy to break up. We threw them out, and they started going at it even harder in the parking lot. One of the guys seemed to have some skill - I'm pretty sure he boxed. Anyway, he was getting the better of the second guy. The boxer hit him a bunch, then slammed him up against a truck. When the second dude hit the hood, he bent the antenna. Seeing that, he grabbed it and snapped it completely off. He swung the antenna and caught the boxer on the forearm, enough to cut it open. He looked at what he did, looked at the antenna in his hand, realized what he could do, and went completely ape-poo poo on the boxer with the antenna. He cut the boxer on his legs, arms, and chest. It was pretty nasty.

One time I was riding in my friend Jason's car, and Jason accidentally cut off a guy on the interstate. This was in Atlanta where drivers are legit insane and aggressive and full of road rage. It really was an honest mistake - Jason didn't see the guy. The dude got beside us, yelling and screaming at Jason. We sped up and thought we left him behind. Anyway, we pulled into a gas station to fill up, and the guy pulled into the station behind us. He got out of his car and without saying a word, he pulled a knife and charged at Jason. Now, Jason was a very skilled muay Thai fighter and had done some Kali with me too. The guy thrust his knife at Jason... Jason saw it coming and just barely deflected it enough that it missed an artery but he still got stabbed. Jason followed the natural motion of bringing his arm down, circled it back around to the front, and thrust his fingers right into the dude's eye. Split it open. The guy immediately dropped to the ground and screamed, holding his face. The gas station attendant saw what happened and called the cops. When the police got there, they basically told Jason "Good job". Jason said the eye juice on his fingers felt like olive oil. They ended up in court but it was a clear case of self defense, so Jason didn't get in trouble.

At a bar I was bouncing at, a big brawl broke out and the main instigator of it ended up behind the bar, trying to get at one of the girl bartenders. One of the other bouncers made it back there and pulled him off her (she was his girlfriend), grabbed a length of Cat5 network cable that ran behind the bar, and drat near hung the guy to death before I could stop him. He had the cable wrapped around the dude's neck 3 or 4 times, and was not letting go - the poor dude was purple and totally unconscious. I had to choke out my fellow bouncer to stop him; I really thought I was about to see him kill that guy.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
yeah OP I can

Flail
Impotently
GAAAAAAAAH
Hiding
Time

got 15 black belts and a couple other colored belts too, even a rainbow one (my fave)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Carlos Lantana posted:

every fight I had as an adult took place in a hospital
they were very unfair because youre not allowed to fight in the hospital

At work we interviewed a guy who had been hospital security at a mental facility & to illustrate his ability to learn from mistakes he related a story of getting bitten while trying to restrain a person & learning even when you have a bad bite and are bleeding you aren’t allowed to swear(?!) was kinda bummed we didn’t hire him although he didn’t help himself by not reading a call back interview invite closely & missing the time with some annoyed managers.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

isaboo posted:

Just make sure that whatever action you take actually manipulates their body in some way.

In your example, simply throwing up a block doesn't really change their attack pattern unless you, for example, cause their right arm to to fly backwards, moving that side of their body away from you.

But then you need to be wary of that action causing the left side of their body (e.g. their left hand) to come at you. It can be from just sheer momentum.

I remember something that blew my loving mind when I was about 15 and learning Kenpo. I blocked a right straight punch, on the outside of their arm with my left forearm, and he just simply folded his arm at his elbow. The momentum carried him forward, and I ate the elbow.

The problem was that I blocked his arm slightly below his elbow, on his forearm. Gotta make sure you block above or on the elbow.

Lol, then later in life I got into cimande for a while, which is all about smashing the gently caress out of whatever comes at you with your conditioned forearms and fists. Then it didn't matter how or where you blocked.

Good advice

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

My neutral game is a bit rusty, but you don't want to get onto the ground with my jujitsu.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trust only your fists

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

I'm pretty confident that I'd see red and lose control, winning the fight handily with sheer ferocity

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hey, let's bring it in.

We are gathered here, us fighters. But we will not fight each other, of course. We are brothers and sisters.

But when challenged in the night we will step up.

We will say "That's not right".

We will fight where it makes no sense to fight, but only because it's right.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I always wondered and I bet I can't.

Now I may never find out which is OK.

What I did always do was take out my earrings when it looked like a fight was imminent which a couple times made the other lady pause I know....

No way was I gonna get one of those ugly slits like I saw a few ladies have when their earlobes got ripped, yuck

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
God I want to fight you all so bad right now. I want to punch your stupid little faces in.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Larry Cum Free posted:

God I want to fight you all so bad right now. I want to punch your stupid little faces in.

You'll be Larry Blood Free if you keep this up

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Mister Speaker posted:

You sound cool homie, let's hang out.

Sorry wasn’t it completely clear from my post I am not interested in hanging out with anyone?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Spinz posted:

I always wondered and I bet I can't.

Now I may never find out which is OK.

What I did always do was take out my earrings when it looked like a fight was imminent which a couple times made the other lady pause I know....

No way was I gonna get one of those ugly slits like I saw a few ladies have when their earlobes got ripped, yuck

I don't know how you could arrange this, but sparring is a pretty safe way to fight. You get all the padding - head, torso, etc - so you're unlikely to actually get hurt. And you can punch away to your heart's content.

Maybe look for local martial art places, and find one that's not run by some ex-military guy.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Smash your bottle on the table and glass a mofo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

ITS GO TIME

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

KUMITE KUMITE KUMITE KUMITE

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Why not smash the mofo on the table? It’d work even better with a glass table.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

At work we interviewed a guy who had been hospital security at a mental facility & to illustrate his ability to learn from mistakes he related a story of getting bitten while trying to restrain a person & learning even when you have a bad bite and are bleeding you aren’t allowed to swear(?!) was kinda bummed we didn’t hire him although he didn’t help himself by not reading a call back interview invite closely & missing the time with some annoyed managers.

I learned from MAB training that you're supposed to try to push in to the bite to try and trigger a gag reflex, rather than pull away and have their teeth tear you up. Or something like that, it was a long time ago

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
only with my own emotions and unstable brain, op

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

only with my own emotions and unstable brain, op

How do you view the future?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Why not smash the mofo on the table? It’d work even better with a glass table.

Good point. Being a good fighter requires using what you have close at hand :hai:

041024_6
Apr 10, 2024
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 10, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd of course fight the muthafucka. But then, I'd fight anyone, anywhere, anytime (unless an obvious trap and I don't want to walk into it....)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Larry Cum Free posted:

I doubt it would hurt. You might hurt your hand though.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I've seen this more than once! I remember when a young woman bartender at a college bar refused to serve a drunk and belligerent sorority girl, who was the "you don't know who I am my dad owns a dealership" type of kid. Their argument escalated and before any security could get over there, the sorority girl smashed a bottle of Newcastle and sliced the bartender's face.

The sorority girl got locked up and sued into oblivion. The poor bartender has a nasty scar down her cheek and across her chin.

e: I wasn't working that night but I was there and drunk so I wasn't involved, I only saw the aftermath. lol that was the same night someone poo poo in one of our tip jars.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 10, 2024

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Beer bottle glass is pretty hard to break, how the hell did she smash it so quick

Like, I'd say you're almost always better off smacking someone with the bottle than trying (and failing) to break the glass on something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Years ago I took Tae Kwon do for a couple years. I never got very far but wish I had kept it up.

Anyway, there was this guy who was a much higher belt than me and we were kinda buddies so we'd spar regularly during class. Every now and then we'd do some take downs and a bit of wrestling. When we would do the normal sparring and tkd moves and all that he'd totally kick my rear end at that poo poo, but when it came to the take downs and wrestling which weren't really part of the curriculum, I'd practically embarrass him. Most of the class would stop and watch as this white belt dude was beating the hell out of (figuratively speaking) this red belt on the ground or dodging his attempts to take me down.

People would ask me if I took other martial arts before I did tkd but I just said "nah I used to watch wwf wrestling in the 80s".
Which is true. I watched a shitload of that poo poo back then and also have 3 older brothers who used to use me as their guinea pig for wrestling moves in the basement or in the back yard. We even had a "ring" on the back yard fir a few weeks. It was just some broom handles stuck in the ground with some rope wrapped around them but all the neighborhood kids came around to wrestle for the belt. Anyway, by the time I was taking tkd I hadn't wrestled any of my brothers for 10 years or more, but it all came right back.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 10, 2024