Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i got red, blue, and yellow deck’s gold stake in 1.0, and yeah… a lot of running things to ante 1-4 just to see if a run was viable.

i commented on it earlier, but you kind of have to do the small/big antes on ante 1 because you need the shop visits. the only thing that would change that calculus was a free tag or a double money (on yellow at least). looking forward to the patch!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me: Alright, pretty much all the Jokers seen throughout the run was Eternal but at least this is a pretty strong combo

Verdant Leaf:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Made it to seventh ante, absolutely dumpstered by the small blind. Is there a recommended minimum amount of multiplicative chips to beat the base difficulty or can you just make up for it with a lot of additive jokers and ploughing planet cards?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Made it to seventh ante, absolutely dumpstered by the small blind. Is there a recommended minimum amount of multiplicative chips to beat the base difficulty or can you just make up for it with a lot of additive jokers and ploughing planet cards?

White stake you can definitely just brute force with +mult and planets. Having at least X2 mult will help significantly but is by no means required.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Phone posted:

i got red, blue, and yellow deck’s gold stake in 1.0, and yeah… a lot of running things to ante 1-4 just to see if a run was viable.

i commented on it earlier, but you kind of have to do the small/big antes on ante 1 because you need the shop visits. the only thing that would change that calculus was a free tag or a double money (on yellow at least). looking forward to the patch!!

early antes are a lot more fun on the new patch. way less resetting with the guaranteed joker/buffoon pack in your first shop. more of the skip tags are worth taking now they've been buffed too. especially things like rare/uncommon joker, since now they're free you can easily afford to take one on round 1 or 2 if you feel like it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

early antes are a lot more fun on the new patch. way less resetting with the guaranteed joker/buffoon pack in your first shop. more of the skip tags are worth taking now they've been buffed too. especially things like rare/uncommon joker, since now they're free you can easily afford to take one on round 1 or 2 if you feel like it.

The holo/foil/etc tags are much more worth skipping first or second blind for since you don't have to worry about not being able to afford them. Not being able to one-shot the first blind and having a joker be just barely out of reach always felt real bad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yeah the joker tags being free is an absolutely massive change because especially on gold stake it’s like “cool, give me a chance to not buy an uncommon/rare/polychrome joker that sucks rear end” right now

going forward, worst case scenario is you pick up the joker for $0 and then sell it for a few bucks

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Eschatos posted:

Wondering if I also should have blueprinted mimic instead of baron, not sure how order of operations works out with that kind of thing.

You had it right, basically you want to balance the retriggers and the buffs you get from them. Blueprint baron + steel means 1.5x 3 times per trigger and red chip, mime, and the base trigger mean each of those cards triggers 3 times giving you 9 of the 1.5 x per king.

If you moved blueprint to Mime they’d trigger 4 times total but with only two 1.5x per trigger so you’d end up with 8 of the 1.5x per king.

If you hypothetically had another blueprint (or brainstorm or whatever) it wouldn’t matter which you put the new one on cause it’d be 4 and 3 or 3 and 4, and if you had two more you’d want one on each to get 4 and 4.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
In playing the gold stakes last night I'm finding the new joker stickers to be more enjoyable than the previous debuffs of increasing pack cost and -1 hand size. The perishable and rental mechanics make joker choices more impactful. Seeing a perishable blueprint joker for example when you're in small blind ante 7 may get you to skip a round so you can have it for the ante 8 boss. I had a rental cavendish in my run in my last post.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Arzaac posted:

god the new infuriating thing about high stakes is getting a scaling joker with perishable on it

if I had one small crit of the new stickers it's that they need to be ever so slightly less common than they are, love the idea but they show up way too much

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Picked this game up last week, it's as good as everyone says it is. Won three games out of six so far - I'm pretty sure every one of my winning setups contained a joker that's now getting debuffed, haha.

I recognised the symbols for the boss blinds are phoenician letters, but looking them up, they're also named for what those letters were representations of.

So that's pretty cool. Except the Psychic for some reason, which would have been the Palm. Surely that would have been fine?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

That uno guy had me on board until he threw the Uno cards out and make it some weird mad scientist thing.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Gold stake done on my third try lets fuckin gooooo - it was also one of the easiest runs in general because of some ferociously lucky jokers very early on:

2 discards, a throwaway hand, and then four queens, the first with a mult and red seal. I was expecting to be banging my head against the wall for this for days

oh wow and my first ever e score directly after with a five of a kind queens

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Tenebrais posted:

Picked this game up last week, it's as good as everyone says it is. Won three games out of six so far - I'm pretty sure every one of my winning setups contained a joker that's now getting debuffed, haha.

I recognised the symbols for the boss blinds are phoenician letters, but looking them up, they're also named for what those letters were representations of.

So that's pretty cool. Except the Psychic for some reason, which would have been the Palm. Surely that would have been fine?

There's a lot of fun references in the game. The Legendary jokers are all named after jesters in books and history.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Psychic > palm reading maybe?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Tenebrais posted:

I did not recognize this, thanks for sharing it!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:eyepop:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Kuros posted:

There's a lot of fun references in the game. The Legendary jokers are all named after jesters in books and history.

The joker that really got me was that Hanging Chad triggers recounts.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

The joker that really got me was that Hanging Chad triggers recounts.

gently caress

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

So uh I still haven't beaten white stakes but I did just get the experience of having my entire strat come together perfectly completely by accident get dumpstered by a boss. I just fell into making face cards gold and feeding them to my vampire and printing money. I think this is salvageable with the vampire at x5.8 but I uh am not confident right now. I assume if I survive this round I will need a new base mult source to replace the whole base additive engine

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 9, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Never mind I was totally fine and one shot the final boss despite never really settling on a serious strat beyond feeding cards to the vampire lol

First win but there's unlocks tied to beating it with each deck apparently so I get to try some other strats

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Never mind I was totally fine and one shot the final boss despite never really settling on a serious strat beyond feeding cards to the vampire lol

First win but there's unlocks tied to beating it with each deck apparently so I get to try some other strats

Feeding the vampire with Midas is one of them known strats. But the new update has nerfed it significantly

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://x.com/kinsie/status/1777358816147063049

https://x.com/notrevenant/status/1777363549368561673

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Aipsh posted:

Feeding the vampire with Midas is one of them known strats. But the new update has nerfed it significantly

Yeah I wasn't consciously building towards face cards but it wound up being how it wound up anyway after I dumped paradolia. I keep trying to find it again until I petered out at ante 13

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Lol

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

I feel like the effect should be “cards don’t score unless you play 5 cards” rather than hand. There’s a p common precedent for that with other disabling jokers, outside of the eye/mouth, and I think it would just be more fun. It’s not a particular difficult boss, honestly I’m usually happy to see it, but that it’s existence means I can’t ecto below a 5 card hand unless I have the reroll voucher is kind of an unnecessary buzzkill.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
doesn't the "no repeat hand types" boss work the same way? the hand just doesn't get scored at all in that case either

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

doesn't the "no repeat hand types" boss work the same way? the hand just doesn't get scored at all in that case either

no repeat hands and only play one hand type both work that way yes

all the bosses screw over something and psychic is no different. either don't go below 5 card minimum or ensure you've found a way to reroll/disable the boss

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

They should add a Tarot card with the effect "Disables Joker for one round."

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Zamujasa posted:

That’s why I said outside the eye/mouth. The thing with those tho, is there are ways to play around them even when they’re active. Whereas if you walk into the psychic with a 4 or less card hand it’s simply over.

The psychic is still far and away easier. I’d say the eye is probably one of the more challenging boss blinds in the game, and the mouth notoriously gets people not paying attention by locking them into high card when they’re trying to trigger a dna or use a played hand as a means of discard.

I just think think it existing almost entirely to cockblock a very niche and not that good strategy ( even high card builds usually want a large hand size for steel etc, so it’s not really a great idea to shoot for a minimal hand size) isn’t really necessary or fun and lining it up with the face/suit disablers (you can still play the debuffed cards for scoring your hand type/jokers) would be an easy change that kept the feel of the boss while letting people play more around it if they felt like it.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Actually had a good Obelisk run the other day. Got an early Half Joker and was throwing out Three of a Kinds and then I found an Obelisk around ante 5, so I just switched to playing pairs and high cards and shot the multiplier up.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Aipsh posted:

Is it actually noticeably weaker? My issue with it the one time I had a pre-nerf Midas/Vampire run was that you would one shot every single blind up to a point, which meant you couldn't scale Vampire more than 5 times per blind anyway.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Darke GBF posted:

Is it actually noticeably weaker? My issue with it the one time I had a pre-nerf Midas/Vampire run was that you would one shot every single blind up to a point, which meant you couldn't scale Vampire more than 5 times per blind anyway.

tbh I don't even really get the point of nerfing something like that. Vampire/midas is a double uncommon combo and it does what, win an ante 8 run for you? There are double common combos that do that. It's not strong enough to carry high point scores because retriggers and x-mult are king there. It's not a pvp game so I don't really get the "it's too strong" argument, if you think it's boring just don't play it kind of bingo bongo reductionism I get it but like I've seen vampire plenty of times and generally don't grab it because I'm not interested in it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man, I just can't get my hand size to 5 or under. Every time I try I just never get any more ways to do it once I hit hand size 6. It's one of my few unlocks left.

e: The single spectral pack this stuntman run got me had no way to do it lol poo poo

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 10, 2024

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I got that via getting two of the spectral cards that reduce hand size twice in a row. Didn't even know it was an achievement.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

PoundSand posted:

tbh I don't even really get the point of nerfing something like that. Vampire/midas is a double uncommon combo and it does what, win an ante 8 run for you? There are double common combos that do that. It's not strong enough to carry high point scores because retriggers and x-mult are king there. It's not a pvp game so I don't really get the "it's too strong" argument, if you think it's boring just don't play it kind of bingo bongo reductionism I get it but like I've seen vampire plenty of times and generally don't grab it because I'm not interested in it.

I like playing the vampire while I'm still in white stakes. I really want to pull together my full paradolia face deck with vampire strat at some point and see how far I can go in endless with it. This game has a rad learning curve where the first 20 or so runs I got really annoyed and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and within the last three games it feels trivial to just blaze through white stakes. I'm looking forward to pushing the stakes up soon. Its also worth pointing out with the vampire that the issue of just one shotting blinds is avoidable by just playing bad hands of enhanced cards first. Probably not as effective without the full paradolia strat but it goes pretty hard. I was at about x20 mult by ante 12 even though I ditched paradolia. Double triggering is obviously v strong to me but what do the better x mult strats look like?

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 10, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

its so funny to me that ff7 rebirth came out, I threw 130 hours into it, wouldn't shut up about it, cried a couple of times, felt incredible catharsis and joy from playing it, and I'm still probably going to give my GOTY to the poker game that looks like it was designed to run on a VGA monitor with absolutely no story whatsoever

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

REALLY needed Baron for the rest of the pop-off.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Any tips on getting early game money rolling in? I feel like I can rip the first hand with one play fairly easy but if I don't get a joker that can reliably print money and a scaling joker in the first two shops I feel like I fall behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Any tips on getting early game money rolling in? I feel like I can rip the first hand with one play fairly easy but if I don't get a joker that can reliably print money and a scaling joker in the first two shops I feel like I fall behind

The best advice is to learn to do all of Ante 1 without a joker. The compound interest from clearing blinds and saving cash will give you a much faster boost. Only purchase things that would speed up the process. An econ joker or like a Popcorn (which just makes the other blinds easier to speed through.)