Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

An extremely good Vietnam video game would give you a tutorial that in no way actually prepares you to win the game, and should teach you strategies that can only result in defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

thank god just in the nick of time

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

lmfao

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

'select the Hand Grenade from your inventory, press the Use key, and click on the Lieutenant's Bed'

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

An extremely good Vietnam video game would give you a tutorial that in no way actually prepares you to win the game, and should teach you strategies that can only result in defeat.

Helldivers 2

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

the fight has been won in helldivers 2, every player is gonna go back home and live in peace soon

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Helldivers 2 uninstalls itself and gets replaced by Stardew Valley

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

In Meiou and Taxes, Portugal is incentivized to go east, rather than west. You'll do better securing the India trade, coast of West Africa and Indian Ocean/Red Sea, than trying to compete with the Spanish for the Americas, outside of some islands if you can get them, and Brazil.

well I was playing as korea because it starts off in a relatively isolated part of the world with whoever winning the chinabowl being your protector. During the collapse of the yuan this time a faction didn't quickly snowball into becoming the new Great China so managed to steal off the liaodong peninsula and now over the next 3 centuries the population is becoming koreanized. Korea is kinda weird for the playthrough I was doing because the country doesn't have big river systems but a lot of coastline so you can just build the first rank of harborage and have your communications covered but the interior of the country. At the same time, the mountainous interior spine of the country requires roads for better communications. Its nice watching cities grow and prosper while you wrestle with the nobility to curtail their power and create a bureaucratic state.

I haven't got the hang of how investing and building industry works compared to the older version. The white devils are too lazy and aren't coming to my corner of the world so I can't get the columbian exchange going to feed by dumb peasants potatoes. At the same time, investing in education by just dumping large amounts of state money has created an explosion of education. Seoul is an important center of production, trade and learning with each urban city being a minor center of learning. The automatic investor keeps investing on the regular and as my incomes have stabilized I can largely let the state run itself.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

let's go POPs love da POPs

EDIT: I got hit by the Treaty of Tordesillas! How dare!!!

time to become protestant

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Tankbuster posted:

time to become protestant

One of the more interesting development in modern Korea tbh

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
see the worst part about M&T is when it brushes against base EU4's boardgame structure. Eventually the spaniards managed to reach the phillipines and started colonizing after already having the columbian exchange so I thought that just trading with them would be fine. Turns out the way trade zones etc work means that there is no way I can either trade with them nor conquer a bit of filipino land to jumpstart the spread of that tech.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The entire system was designed to produce people who could suppress the helots, it was not a good military system, per se.

the Spartan system was good specifically for traditional, ritualized Greek warfare and not very good at anything else.

which basically amounts two hoplite formations facing up against each other in a field, they clash, and then one side runs away. The other side claims victory and grabs whatever piece of farmland the fight was over.

casualties were very light because everyone wore heavy armor and neither side had cavalry for pursuit. the losing side would toss away their shields/weapons and just run faster than the winners can chase.

The battle was more or less a contest of nerves, whichever side breaks and runs first loses. So Spartans are good at winning due to superior morale. They were generally acknowledged as one of the two best Hoplite armies in Greece (the other being the Thebans)

what it wasn't good for however was the kind of no-bar hold total conflict like the Peloponnesian War, where the other side would rarely line up in a field in front of you and skirmishes/sieges were much more common. That's how you get truly embarrassing losses like Pylos and Sphacteria.

But the Spartans coalition did win the two decisive Hoplite battles of the war: Delium and Mantinea, and those were decisive battles which settled entire theatres of war in a couple of hours.

The one big accomplishment that people overlook is that the Spartans beat the Athenians by building a navy that beat a first tier navy within the space of a decade or so when it had never being a seafaring power in the past. Granted they did so through truly massive Persian subsidies, but the fact they manage to pull it off at all is impressive.

Typo has issued a correction as of 20:26 on Apr 9, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
code:
https://twitter.com/TheBlackHorse65/status/1777734629358805223

quote:

The rise and fall of the Sid Meier's Civilization franchise from 1991 to 2018 is both one of the great tragedies of the computer gaming industry, and a window into the massive change in psychology of the US ruling class. This thread will explore both.

I have played every civilization game many times, but in preparation for this thread, I have replayed each civilization game at least once from beginning to end; with the exception of Civilization VI, which I refuse to dignify with my further attention.

Civilization I was a groundbreaking game in which the player acts a sort of archon spirit controlling a civilization from it's birth in 4000BC until either it's death by conquest, or it's conquest of the earth. The game was a genre-defining 4x.

The game was implicitly based on both the 18th century view of international relations - that all nations are continuous competitors and that peace is only ever an interlude between wars, and the 20th century notion that the all states are total states.

Civ 2 is essentially a straight remake of the game, but updated to reflect the then-current hardware constraints of the post window-95 world. The game retains the essential political and social perspective of the original game, but with a more elegant skin.

Civ III [2001] was an inflection point; introducing new game concepts which forever altered the telos of the game to reflect the changed underlying assumptions of the creators of the game. Strategic resources, ethnic citizens, stable diplomacy, culture, & non-conquest victory.

The 18th century frame on international relations is gone, replaced with a post-war American anti-colonial frame.
- It's a net-drag to conquer more than ~25% of the globe
- Stable peaceful relations are possible
- resources are scarce and a key cause of war
- Nations form coalitions to resist domination against aggressive players, even if the aggressive player is not the human player.
- Nations consider whether they can win before declaring war.
- Most games end in cultural victory or world government by the UN.

Civ IV [2005] begins is another substantial change in the franchise, ending the "reign of quantity" as the basic principle by which the game is organized through the introduction of real penalties for scale and the concept of "great people".

Civilization IV fundamentally disrupted the assumption of the three previous games that all great nations must control large territories in order to be able to control enough strategic resources and generate enough commerce to remain competitive.

With the addition of religion and diplomatic pledges; Civ 4 game had well begun it's transition into a game of politics and international relations instead of a game of industrial scale and conquest.

Civ 5 made two profound changes that ended the game as previously known forever. Cities defend themselves without the need to muster troops, and units cannot stack constraining dramatically the value of having a large army.

Civ 5 also has the distinction of being the first genuinely bad game in the series. A game with a user interface that is way less information dense, and with a real dedication to a number of mechanics that are totally irrelevant to the outcome of the game (e.g. religion).

Civilization 6 is less an actual game than it is a propaganda art-form designed to express to it's use that the world is constrained by geography which necessitates planning and the voluntary choice not to pursue the 4 x's that were the foundation of the genre. An utter disgrace.

When looked at in totality, you can see the fingerprints of the change in culture of the designers. The men that created Civ I were unapologetically part of the Faustian Western tradition. Civ 6 was created by men who completely disconnected from that tradition.

the reactions I've seen to this thread (including from Brian Reynolds himself) tend to dismiss it as it swerves at the last-minute into (as they perceive it) RETVRN right-wing nonsense, and for being overly harsh against the later Civs, or that it's outright dumb to push back against the "increased complexity and increased reflection of geopolitical reality", but there are parts of it that this thread has gone over before.

in particular, while this poster pegs the shift in ideology as having happened in Civ 4, we've talked before about how as early as Civ 3, they started introducing the Cultural Victory as an expression of the post-Cold-War zeitgeist, that it was supposed to be possible to win the game without bathing the world in wars of conquest, and this has only gotten "worse" over time during, as this poster says, "it's transition into a game of politics and international relations instead of a game of industrial scale and conquest"

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

code:
the reactions I've seen to this thread (including from Brian Reynolds himself) tend to dismiss it as it swerves at the last-minute into (as they perceive it) RETVRN right-wing nonsense, and for being overly harsh against the later Civs, or that it's outright dumb to push back against the "increased complexity and increased reflection of geopolitical reality", but there are parts of it that this thread has gone over before.

in particular, while this poster pegs the shift in ideology as having happened in Civ 4, we've talked before about how as early as Civ 3, they started introducing the Cultural Victory as an expression of the post-Cold-War zeitgeist, that it was supposed to be possible to win the game without bathing the world in wars of conquest, and this has only gotten "worse" over time during, as this poster says, "it's transition into a game of politics and international relations instead of a game of industrial scale and conquest"

Somebody hasn't heard that politics is war by other means.

I often dream of making my own Civ-style game. I really should make the time to start.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

But even then, the contradiction of the helot system is apparent - as warfare in the Greek world developed, light troops played a growing, eventually decisive if you think of the thyreophoroi, role. Well, obviously, giving out weapons to the helots was not on any Spartan's agenda.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gradenko_2000 posted:

code:

I think you could probably make a much more limited case solely focusing on how liberal ideology influences the game, but starting off with the premise that "eternal nations locked in intractable conflict seeking to conquer the whole globe" is the ideal modeling of international relations is dumb as poo poo

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

But even then, the contradiction of the helot system is apparent - as warfare in the Greek world developed, light troops played a growing, eventually decisive if you think of the thyreophoroi, role. Well, obviously, giving out weapons to the helots was not on any Spartan's agenda.

It was sometimes.

https://www.worldhistory.org/Neodamodeis/

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

FF have you read Soldier of the Mist? You seem like a Gene Wolfe kinda guy (Catholic, soldier, very odd)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Cities can now defend themselves, a clear departure from the Faustian western tradition

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

StashAugustine posted:

FF have you read Soldier of the Mist? You seem like a Gene Wolfe kinda guy (Catholic, soldier, very odd)

I have not, but I will, that sounds 100% up my alley.

I really enjoyed, and can't recommend enough, The Crystal Cave, which seems similar.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it simply can't be that people grew out of civ for more paradox style offerings no.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I have not, but I will, that sounds 100% up my alley.

I really enjoyed, and can't recommend enough, The Crystal Cave, which seems similar.

I should re read that, i tried when I was 12 and didn't get it. And yeah Wolfe is one of the overlooked greats- Soldier is probably him at his most incomprehensible (its the diary of a Persian mercenary who was injured at Platea and can't form new memories, but who discovers he can see the gods) but it's pretty fun to pick up what's going on if you've read some Herotodus

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

it simply can't be that people grew out of civ for more paradox style offerings no.

speaking of Paradox, my Portugal game is now at 1544, exactly 100 years since the game's start. I've established colonial subjects in Cuba and the southern tip of South America, and one-off colonies in Nazca on the Pacific coast of South America, Rapanui / Easter Island, the Society Islands (what's now French Polynesia), Kerema in Papua New Guinea, Belitung in the Indonesian archipelago, and Inhambane (in modern-day Mozambique).

Spain is breathing down my neck because of my early violations of the Treaty of Tordesillas, and while I've managed to stay allied with Great Britain, I wonder if there's going to be direct conflict between us later on.

I'm going to try and establish the Nazca and East Africa and Papua New Guinea colonies into their own full colonial subjects, and see what happens from there. I don't know yet how to declare war on natives that are already there, although I guess as far as the time period is concerned that might not be a thing I'm supposed to be able to do yet?

Also, I have just reformed Portugal into a Grand Republic, doing away with the Monarchy entirely (?), so that's kinda cool, especially the bit where you can pick which candidate gets to win and they specialize in one of the three mana categories, so you always have a baseline decent leader instead of getting screwed when the heir is a dumbshit moron.

It's a bit intimidating to think that there's still another 300 years of game left to go and I'm only a quarter of the way done.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

code:

Also you could do space race victory in 1 & 2, civ 3 was the first bad game in the series just because it was too harshly tuned against expanding wide that it was just boring.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm going to try and establish the Nazca and East Africa and Papua New Guinea colonies into their own full colonial subjects, and see what happens from there. I don't know yet how to declare war on natives that are already there, although I guess as far as the time period is concerned that might not be a thing I'm supposed to be able to do yet?

unless they changed it you get a free cb against native americans by finishing the exploration idea group and a free cb against africans/asians by finishing the expansion idea group
a tip when it comes to colonizing is to subsidise your newly formed colonial nations as they wont use their own colonists unless they have a certain amount of income
so rushing to get colonial nations set up in the regions you want and subsidizing them is a good strat

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
youtubers love breaking the game over their knee but the mission tree is a good system for guilding players into historically plausible paths.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
all this talk about Sparta is making me want to play Divide et Impera again

The mod retains the silly uber-elite badass Spartan hoplites from vanilla Rome 2, but because population is now divided by class and only full citizens can become hoplites, the Spartans can only field 1-2 units of them at game start and any significant casualties to those units will effectively wipe out their male citizen population. the rest of the Spartan ranks have to be filled out with helot troops, which are trash, and mercenaries, which are expensive.

It makes Athens the militarily superior power in Greece despite lacking any units of equivalent quality, simply by virtue of you having enough non-slaves in your territory to raise an actual army, so the 150 Spartan elites get crushed by like 5000 good-enough Athenians. You can also actually tank some losses and come back, while at game start Sparta is cooked if they lose even one decisive battle, because their citizen population is too low to replenish the casualties.

It also gives a Rome player a mechanical incentive to Romanize new territory, because without full citizens to recruit as legionaries you’re stuck with whatever local auxiliary troops are available there

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 06:13 on Apr 10, 2024

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

The three future govt types in civ 6 being just 3 turbocharged variants of neoliberalism was pretty funny
the series has kind of gotten more and more noticeably liberal in outlook as it’s gone on, though considering from the start it’s been a pretty uncritical Whig history narrative I’m not sure what else you would expect from it

imo if you wanted to analyze the politics of a popular strategy game series, you could probably get an insane amount of content from command and conquer, what with CNC1 being 90s End of History: the Game, or generals being an ultra neocon caricature world that somehow ends with America exhausted and humiliated and quietly leaving the world stage for the Chinese century

FrancisFukyomama has issued a correction as of 06:23 on Apr 10, 2024

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
and in Red Alert, removing Hitler results in Stalin trying to take over the world on behalf of the secretive conspiracy which actually runs the USSR

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

FrancisFukyomama posted:

The three future govt types in civ 6 being just 3 turbocharged variants of neoliberalism was pretty funny
the series has kind of gotten more and more noticeably liberal in outlook as it’s gone on, though considering from the start it’s been a pretty uncritical Whig history narrative I’m not sure what else you would expect from it

imo if you wanted to analyze the politics of a popular strategy game series, you could probably get an insane amount of content from command and conquer, what with CNC1 being 90s End of History: the Game, or generals being an ultra neocon caricature world that somehow ends with America exhausted and humiliated and quietly leaving the world stage for the Chinese century

There is so much to examine just in CnC:Generals. One of the most fascinating things to me is how much of the China faction is pure projection from the US.

1. China gets super-heavy tanks, a staple of the US military. The Soviets got the same thing in Red Alert.
2. Those tanks also get depleted Uranium shells, the most common type of kinetic shell that US tanks use.
3. China gets the nuke cannon, which is just the US's nuclear cannon. The icon uses an image from the test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqyxhMlwGL0&t=238s
4. China is the one that gets cluster mines despite the US being the largest user of cluster munitions in the world.
5. China gets the nuke superweapon despite the US being the sole user of nuclear weapons. The US gets a satellite-based particle beam.
6. The Chinese fighter jet (a MiG) use napalm as it's primary weapon. The most interesting thing I find is that it gets an upgrade called "Black Napalm", I can't help but wonder if the name was inspired by "White Phosphorus".

It's like the people making the game took their knowledge of America's historical behavior and externalized it onto a racial other. I feel like one of the consequences of this is that the US factions winds up feeling rather bland since a lot of its identity was removed.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its either that or they wanted to balance out the factions because C&C was always somewhat asymmetrical.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

How was Neblous Fleet Command?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
IIRC, Generals was fairly popular in China and the Middle East. I guess there's a certain satisfaction in seeing your boys go toe to toe w the US and winning, even if is awfully stereotyped.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

the reason generals faction are the way they are is because they mapped GDI to America, NOD to the hilariously racist terrorist faction, and the soviets to China

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Stereotypes are the other side of having a cool faction identity. A lot of the unit blandness is made up for by good voice work and general unit banter. People still quote the "AKs for everyone" or "China Will Grow Larger" but what is even the american equivalent.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tankbuster posted:

Stereotypes are the other side of having a cool faction identity. A lot of the unit blandness is made up for by good voice work and general unit banter. People still quote the "AKs for everyone" or "China Will Grow Larger" but what is even the american equivalent.

The Paladin tank saying "we fight for peace" was kinda funny

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Thinking about reinstalling Wargame: Red Dragon and playing through the singleplayer campaign. Is it still a good experience? My recollection is that the post-release unit balance patches skewed the campaign quite a bit since they didn't go back and modify the campaign unit allocations (?).

I'm not good at the games in general but they're kind of fun, just wondering if any of them are worth a new playthrough. I also have airland battle and european escalation if those are better balanced by not having boats. Never managed to complete all the campaigns, I'm just looking for the best ones.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

palindrome posted:

Thinking about reinstalling Wargame: Red Dragon and playing through the singleplayer campaign. Is it still a good experience? My recollection is that the post-release unit balance patches skewed the campaign quite a bit since they didn't go back and modify the campaign unit allocations (?).

I'm not good at the games in general but they're kind of fun, just wondering if any of them are worth a new playthrough. I also have airland battle and european escalation if those are better balanced by not having boats. Never managed to complete all the campaigns, I'm just looking for the best ones.

European Escalation's campaign balance is completely out of whack due to patches. Airland Battle and Red Dragon should still be fine. The campaigns are kind of dumb but pretty compelling nonetheless as long as you have a high tolerance for repetition (like fighting essentially the same battle multiple times) and AI stupidity. Red Dragon has the best ones.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Alright thanks, I could have been remembering the European Escalation campaign. It's been a long time

I don't mind repetition and dumb AI, if I could get the original versions of Close Combat 2/3 working on a modern system I'd be pretty happy. The matrix remakes add this strategic layer that I don't think was missing from the originals, but I can't seem to find any fan patches or tweaks that make them work well with high resolution Win10+ environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

c&c simply hadn't yet developed the technology for schlock over the top super america that helldivers provides today