Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Like the whole "Kanji owns and Yousuke sucks" thing wasn't really some super common opinion back when P4 originally came out

In the circles I ran in, at least, this was an incredibly common opinion. If anything Yosuke has gotten more well received over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah that's some revisionism, people have been complaining about Yosuke's homophobia for fifteen years at this point

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
idk if this is widely held opinion but my least favorite decision in all three of the games so far has been p5rs treatment of ann. the first arc of that game is legit nearly perfect, the stakes feel insanely real, the subject matter is dark, it feels triumphant to put kamoshida in his place. but then the very next arc is cracking jokes about ann posing nude, her critical'd position is absurd lol

i think my favorite piece of writing by contrast in all three games has been aigis's arc. its really well done imo

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I can't recall ever encountering the opinion that yosuke's dynamic with kanji was good. like even years ago when it came out and the people I was talking about it with truly could not have given less of a poo poo about homophobia it still came off as yosuke being a huge prick to kanji for entirely unwarranted reasons

which is maybe intentional but is also like, not resolved or anything. the game makes bad things happen to yosuke as karmic punishment for him being a creep and/or douche but yosuke just resolutely continues to suck in open defiance of the universe itself telling him to stop

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yosuke is a good, respectable character until the Kanji arc starts at which point he becomes a huge dipshit outside of his SL.

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
When it comes to those polls, the characters who excel are like... the protagonists, girls who guys vote for, and brain rot-inducing twinks who fujos ship with other male characters. Kanji falls under none of those categories.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The fuckin fujos

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The fuckin fujos

Fujoshi ftw

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Yeah back in the day it was Adachi and Yousuke who got shipped with the main character (because Kanji has Naoto) and that alone made Yousuke very popular despite *waves hands* everything.

Akechi/Joker is basically Adachi/Narukami without the age weirdness so of course it was like crack

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
The power of us fujos is so overwhelming that Primanics is doing a re-run of the Persona perfumes and only 2 non-protagonist perfumes being re-run are Yosuke and Adachi. :j:

Do you wish to smell like homophobia or cabbage?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Fujoshi ftw

Its to be expected in online video game discussion but its very funny the thread can have someone mentioning how Japanese women just don't play Persona games and then in the next page immediately have someone else get snippy about the Japanese women who play these games.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Its to be expected in online video game discussion but its very funny the thread can have someone mentioning how Japanese women just don't play Persona games and then in the next page immediately have someone else get snippy about the Japanese women who play these games.

I don't think that post was meant to be read as mocking or bitter. It's self-deprecating at worst ("us fujos")

You have to remember that brainrot is a self-applied label for fannish obsession, not an insult.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 10, 2024

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

miasmacloud posted:

The power of us fujos is so overwhelming that Primanics is doing a re-run of the Persona perfumes and only 2 non-protagonist perfumes being re-run are Yosuke and Adachi. :j:

Do you wish to smell like homophobia or cabbage?

Are character perfumes popular merch? I feel like I would buy a P5 candle but that's just me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mycot posted:

I don't think that post was meant to be read as mocking or bitter. It's self-deprecating at worst ("us fujos")

You have to remember that brainrot is a self-applied term for fannish obsession, not an insult.

You're right, I misread the post

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Alder posted:

Are character perfumes popular merch? I feel like I would buy a P5 candle but that's just me.

They appear from time to time, but they're pretty much Japan-only (I don't think there's a market for them otherwise) and I won't say they're common, but just enough that one wouldn't see it as weird.

That said I think I've only seen them representing male characters, not sure if I've heard of any (or many) colognes representing female characters unless they're a package deal like with an entire Persona cast.

I'm assuming a Koromaru perfume smells like wet dog.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
They're always Japan only because bottles of flammable alcoholic liquid won't get through customs :v:

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm an Asian woman who plays these games, went to the Japanese Atlus doujinshi event in February, and already owns the Adachi perfume. :shobon: It's me - I have the brainrot.

Alder posted:

Not sure about the general popularity, but there is a Japanese company called Primanics that regularly collabs with different Japanese franchises to produce perfumes. You can see all of the collabs they've done on their webpage: https://shop.primaniacs.com/

For candles, I imagine Atlus licenses that kind of product too? But assuming you are in the US, you might want to hit up indie creators (e.g. Etsy) and check out fan made, game-inspired candles.

ApplesandOranges posted:

They appear from time to time, but they're pretty much Japan-only (I don't think there's a market for them otherwise) and I won't say they're common, but just enough that one wouldn't see it as weird.

That said I think I've only seen them representing male characters, not sure if I've heard of any (or many) colognes representing female characters unless they're a package deal like with an entire Persona cast.

I'm assuming a Koromaru perfume smells like wet dog.
You can't usually get them in the states cause of the alcohol (can't ship via airmail). I own 4 Persona fragrances and I had to bring them all home in my suitcase.

And unfortunately, Koromaru was not part of the P3 lineup! https://shop.primaniacs.com/?mode=cate&cbid=2446493&csid=0

(Btw, FeMC's fragrance smells the best of the ones I own.)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

mycot posted:

They're always Japan only because bottles of flammable alcoholic liquid won't get through customs :v:
But I want my Junpei-scented Molotov cocktail!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Commander Keene posted:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

miasmacloud posted:

I'm an Asian woman who plays these games, went to the Japanese Atlus doujinshi event in February, and already owns the Adachi perfume. :shobon: It's me - I have the brainrot.

Not sure about the general popularity, but there is a Japanese company called Primanics that regularly collabs with different Japanese franchises to produce perfumes. You can see all of the collabs they've done on their webpage: https://shop.primaniacs.com/

For candles, I imagine Atlus licenses that kind of product too? But assuming you are in the US, you might want to hit up indie creators (e.g. Etsy) and check out fan made, game-inspired candles.

You can't usually get them in the states cause of the alcohol (can't ship via airmail). I own 4 Persona fragrances and I had to bring them all home in my suitcase.

And unfortunately, Koromaru was not part of the P3 lineup! https://shop.primaniacs.com/?mode=cate&cbid=2446493&csid=0

(Btw, FeMC's fragrance smells the best of the ones I own.)

Oh no they do niche series like BL and otome series along with mainstream stuff :v:

I know I can't ship USA but I feel like the Joker and Akechi perfumes sound p nice from the scent notes listed there.

Yeah, I mentioned it as a joke but there were official P5 candle sets but they've been OOS for a long time now apart from fan candles.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

miasmacloud posted:

That's my bad, am just too used to seeing people mentioning fujos liking pretty boys as like something to be annoyed at.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Fujoshi ftw

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I once created a fujoshi when I got an internet friend into Kamen Rider, and then Sento Kiryu and Banjou Ryuga from Build did something to her brain.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Arist posted:

Kanji is easily the best character in the game

Weird way to misspell "Nanako."

(best playable character, though, yeah)

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Sorry the best we can do is a SEES hot springs escape commemorative bath bomb.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Majorian posted:

Problematic VA kind of spoils her for me (same with old Aigis, Junpei and Fuuka, though thankfully that's been rectified).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

tbp posted:

idk if this is widely held opinion but my least favorite decision in all three of the games so far has been p5rs treatment of ann. the first arc of that game is legit nearly perfect, the stakes feel insanely real, the subject matter is dark, it feels triumphant to put kamoshida in his place. but then the very next arc is cracking jokes about ann posing nude, her critical'd position is absurd lol

Yeah, I think that's a pretty universally agreed-upon opinion. It's extremely disappointing, and I think a lot of people's opinion of the game hinges on whether or not you can just kind of compartmentalize that scene. Like Community S4, I consider it the result of a gas leak in the writers' room. Thankfully, Yusuke's character arc only gets better, and while Ann's social link is a snoozer, it at least doesn't have anything to do with the nude painting nonsense.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Problematic VA kind of spoils her for me (same with old Aigis, Junpei and Fuuka, though thankfully that's been rectified).

I know I'm going to regret asking but problematic in what way?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Majorian posted:

I know I'm going to regret asking but problematic in what way?

Antivaxx and pro Trump are the big ones.

Personally I don't particularly care that the VA for a character from well over a decade ago ago had their brain broken, but I get why people would be turned off.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that's disappointing but sadly more common in the VA world than one might expect.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Majorian posted:

I love the IT, but Nanako is probably my favorite character, too. I'd also add Dojima in there. My favorite P4 characters list would be a healthy blend of party members and NPCs.

It's one of its more unique aspects for me. I can't really say I liked any NPC in P3 half as much as I liked the party members.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

It sucks that Strassman is a QAnon nutbar apparently, but mostly I just think she isn't very good in Persona. I don't like her performance as either Aigis or Nanako. I've heard her in other roles where she does a better job, so I think it's just the specific roles that she had trouble with or something.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I love the IT, but Nanako is probably my favorite character, too. I'd also add Dojima in there. My favorite P4 characters list would be a healthy blend of party members and NPCs.

It's one of its more unique aspects for me. I can't really say I liked any NPC in P3 half as much as I liked the party members.

Yeah, that's pretty much the same for me, with the notable exception of Akinari. I just blazed through 4G again to compare it to 3R and see how I felt, and boy, that game has some good NPC stories. Naoki's (Saki's brother) turns into such an emotional gut punch with the story about the creampuffs. I also did the (genuine) romance path with Ai, which I had never done before, and I have to say, I did a 180 on her character. Did not like her at all before, now I get it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Akinari and Naoki are definitely the standouts from an emotional point of view, yeah.

I really do like Ai, but I think her romance options are weaker. She lets down her facade at the very end of the link, but in her New Year/Valentine's stuff she's back to being a bit haughty, which kind of weakens the end of her link. Chie is very corny but her romance stuff is actually very cute.

My headcanon romance picks for each game are Yukari, Yukiko and... honestly in P5 I'd say Ryuji, but he's not an option so Ann. :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah P5 generally totally drops the ball on Ann. Like there's a fine basic idea, where she's a model who is genuinely confident in her body and appearance, and Kamoshida is accurately portrayed as a villain trying to prey on her, but then the entire rest of the game is spent putting Ann in other uncomfortable positions for comedic effect and it's insane that no one noticed how this was detrimental to the character.

Like there's the one scene where Ryuji does a dumb "honka honka" gesture and she laughs it off and embarrasses him, which is a nice twist on the Persona beach scene formula, but then the rest of the game is regular persona jokes about uncomfortably sexualizing minors.

The Yusuke introduction is hot garbage, but at least Yusuke has the decency to be a good character from the moment he joins the party.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah P5 generally totally drops the ball on Ann. Like there's a fine basic idea, where she's a model who is genuinely confident in her body and appearance, and Kamoshida is accurately portrayed as a villain trying to prey on her, but then the entire rest of the game is spent putting Ann in other uncomfortable positions for comedic effect and it's insane that no one noticed how this was detrimental to the character.

Like there's the one scene where Ryuji does a dumb "honka honka" gesture and she laughs it off and embarrasses him, which is a nice twist on the Persona beach scene formula, but then the rest of the game is regular persona jokes about uncomfortably sexualizing minors.

The Yusuke introduction is hot garbage, but at least Yusuke has the decency to be a good character from the moment he joins the party.

Yeah, the idea is that when people prey upon Ann she doesn't like it, but when it's people she trusts or wants to ogle her she plays along or is more annoyed than distressed. It's basically about who has the power in the scenario. She's a "femme fatale" because all of the Thieves are some sort of traditional criminal/vigilante both in and out of the Cognitive world more or less.

Literal Cat Burglar, Phantom Thief, Petty Thug, Femme Fatale, Mad Forger/Artist, Cowboy/Vigilante Cop, Criminal Genius Hacker, Rebellious Noble. Crow and Violet don't quite fit but that's also intentional as they're not "thieves" narratively. Even then Crow is a Noir Detective/Dark Superhero and Violet is a feminine version of the Phantom/Performer Thief.

As far as Yusuke, I've always assumed he's doing something that he's seen Madarame do, but because Yusuke is Yusuke has not picked up on certain social elements of such a thing.

Edit: It's partially just that the writers and artists involved aren't good at really balancing using the traditional anime stuff they're expected to include for audience appeal. These elements are expected and create some amount of mass appeal, but because they're so common and all the girls suffer from it (not just Ann) it cuts out the actual narrative efforts.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 10, 2024

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Makoto as a cowboy would have been better than her actual Phantom Thief outfit. She should ride in on Johanna and go 'yeehaw' while shooting the enemies.

Also you're forgetting Futaba.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

Makoto as a cowboy would have been better than her actual Phantom Thief outfit. She should ride in on Johanna and go 'yeehaw' while shooting the enemies.

Also you're forgetting Futaba.

Added, Criminal Genius Hacker. She does still fit I just forgot her because I am a bad person.

Also Makoto is a more recognisable version of a vigilante justice for Japan, since she's got elements of Fist of the North Star and Kamen Rider (Akechi is more Tokusatsu/Power Rangers) going on. The idea is still the same as Cowboy Cop/Vigilante Official who gets results but the chief constantly demands their badge (the chief in this case is the principal), but I don't know what the Japanese term for that would be.

Edit: Also this reminds me how sad I am that we haven't gotten Persona 5 Arena, because I know it would be a lot of work but my imagination has the Investigation Team and SEES also getting outfits. Specifically the Investigation Team should get Detectives/Police themed outfits (Sherlock Holmes Naoto, Riot Officer Kanji etc) and the SEES team get Corporate/Government Spy/Hero themed stuff (James Bond Mitsuru).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 10, 2024

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They already kinda had the femme fatale aesthetic with Arena Mitsuru (and Reload leans into that too).

Honestly they probably just tried too much with Ann and also made her actually too nice, so she's pulled in four different directions and has a weak SL on top of it. Plus I feel like 'seductive' doesn't really fit a Persona party member because they're all teenagers, Rise pulled it off slightly better but that was more 'just knows how the teasing game works'.

P5A probably wouldn't work without timey-wimey shenanigans since the P3/P4 cast are very clearly adults at that point.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, the idea is that when people prey upon Ann she doesn't like it, but when it's people she trusts or wants to ogle her she plays along or is more annoyed than distressed. It's basically about who has the power in the scenario. She's a "femme fatale" because all of the Thieves are some sort of traditional criminal/vigilante both in and out of the Cognitive world more or less.

Literal Cat Burglar, Phantom Thief, Petty Thug, Femme Fatale, Mad Forger/Artist, Cowboy/Vigilante Cop, Criminal Genius Hacker, Rebellious Noble. Crow and Violet don't quite fit but that's also intentional as they're not "thieves" narratively. Even then Crow is a Noir Detective/Dark Superhero and Violet is a feminine version of the Phantom/Performer Thief.

As far as Yusuke, I've always assumed he's doing something that he's seen Madarame do, but because Yusuke is Yusuke has not picked up on certain social elements of such a thing.

Edit: It's partially just that the writers and artists involved aren't good at really balancing using the traditional anime stuff they're expected to include for audience appeal. These elements are expected and create some amount of mass appeal, but because they're so common and all the girls suffer from it (not just Ann) it cuts out the actual narrative efforts.
Makoto is more of a biker than a cop, at least in her outfit design for her Phantom Thief form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Makoto is more of a biker than a cop, at least in her outfit design for her Phantom Thief form.

She's a specific style of like, post-apocalyptic cop. Think Mad Max rather than a straight Vigilante Cop. But also yeah rebel biker is a big part of it too. She's "justice" where justice has fallen away. She also has elements of Riot/Tactical Assault Police going on.

ApplesandOranges posted:

They already kinda had the femme fatale aesthetic with Arena Mitsuru (and Reload leans into that too).

Honestly they probably just tried too much with Ann and also made her actually too nice, so she's pulled in four different directions and has a weak SL on top of it. Plus I feel like 'seductive' doesn't really fit a Persona party member because they're all teenagers, Rise pulled it off slightly better but that was more 'just knows how the teasing game works'.

P5A probably wouldn't work without timey-wimey shenanigans since the P3/P4 cast are very clearly adults at that point.

This is just straight up a problem with all of the Persona 5 girls. They've all got very clear themes through their Awakening/Thief Designs that get underwritten outside of them for likely obnoxious marketability or writer social opinion reasons.

Also P4A just had the P3 cast be adults didn't it? It wasn't a problem there, the only real issue would be Nanako, Teddie, and Ken because you could still have everyone else look roughly the same.

Plus I really just think the idea of the Investigation Team with various Detective Outfits going against the Phantom Thieves in their Thief Outfits makes for a great visual that could be used to work with the "fight first then work together" angle. Since you could easily have the Phantom Thieves not trust the IT based on their outfits alone.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 10, 2024