Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Byzantine posted:

To be clear, I'm not arguing that the Dems could've done it, but I am pushing back on the characterization of the critic as a stupid fucker who can't even pronounce 'filibuster'.

You said the dems refused to do it, using 4 percent of the senate dems as represeative for the whole party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

rkd_ posted:

Biden says he is examining power to shut US border on his own

Obviously eyeing the election here, but I do wonder how far he will actually go with this.

Un-adults in enclosed polyhedrons

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

You said the dems refused to do it, using 4 percent of the senate dems as represeative for the whole party

If you credit them as a party for things they get done, it seems fair and logical to fault them as a party for what they don’t get done.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

If you credit them as a party for things they get done, it seems fair and logical to fault them as a party for what they don’t get done.

That's a pretty basic logical fallacy actually. If P, Q doesn't lead to mean if p, not q.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 10, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

James Garfield posted:

Right, the base and the politicians both want to ban all abortions but the politicians know that doing that would hurt them in elections. When Roe was in effect they could say "I believe abortion is murder, but we can't do a total ban until Roe is overturned" and the base would put up with it. Now that they don't have that option, they still try to compromise because endorsing a total abortion ban would kill them in the general election, but the base sees that, thinks they're uniparty RINOs, and elects some out of state groyper who lied about his military service in the primary.

This is the correct read on the situation. Based on lots of first-hand anecdotal evidence I would say Republicans, as a whole, absolutely genuinely do want to ban abortion. The only real catch is that Republican politicians -- true believers or not -- care much more about staying in power. It's less that they're hypocritical about abortion itself, specifically, and more that they're spineless and don't want to face the consequences.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
It doesn't require a cabal of shadowy illuminati conspirators to see our two party system makes us coalesce from the top down to lots of poo poo that doesn't serve our materials needs or meet our moral mark. And all we have is to vote for one of the two parties, or not vote.

Sorry for crossing the line back into vibes anecdotes, but whether it's purposefully orchestrated or not, we are channeled into these slots. I'm a rural laborer who gets accused of being a republican, and just today I was speaking with a wealthy liberal who balked at hearing I went to vote uncommitted (in a democratic primary) because "what about Trump!??!". Because he's a threat to democracy! It must be very precious to you!

I don't know every average American, but I've seen the polls and the hand wringing in this very thread. Our American political understanding culture and participation is so far from materially representing us that... well that we'll openly say things like "we just have to wait for these people to die".

And to say "Americans are just that overwhelmingly dumb selfish racist ignorant" (or even a human nature argument) may be accurate, but is little comfort, or at least little excuse to look at people through the lense of democrat/republican. We are all the problem under this, but it's so easy to be captured by being the actual good guy because THOSE PEOPLE are the problem.

Banish the words republican and Democrat from your mind and then talk to people. You might get somewhere.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I think it's wrong to say that Donald J. Trump and his type wants to ban abortion. He only wants power & money. Abortion bans don't affect the rich and their daughters and mistresses, so politicians are able to say things that they personally don't really support.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

I think it's wrong to say that Donald J. Trump and his type wants to ban abortion. He only wants power & money. Abortion bans don't affect the rich and their daughters and mistresses, so politicians are able to say things that they personally don't really support.

Though like all other cases where people said "Trump's not a right-wing culture warrior on this topic" it doesn't really matter since he's actively cultivated voters who demand it and surrounded himself with subordinates who demand it, so he'll either do it to get cheers at rallies or else will rubber stamp the people who are actually doing the work while he focuses on whatever caught his interest today.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

selec posted:

That's completely wrong. I wouldn't credit the party for getting something done if 4% of the party voted for it.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

That's completely wrong. I wouldn't credit the party for getting something done if 4% of the party voted for it.

Part of running a competent party is leadership that can whip a tough vote. They just didn’t have it in them, collectively, to get it done. I think we just have a different sense of what we expect from one of two options to run this poo poo.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

Yeah, it's a synecdoche, like saying "The Republicans failed to elect a Speaker of the House".

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

selec posted:

Part of running a competent party is leadership that can whip a tough vote. They just didn’t have it in them, collectively, to get it done. I think we just have a different sense of what we expect from one of two options to run this poo poo.

The dems failing to convince 2 insane senators isn't the same as the democrats refusing to remove the filibuster

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

BRJurgis posted:

It doesn't require a cabal of shadowy illuminati conspirators to see our two party system makes us coalesce from the top down to lots of poo poo that doesn't serve our materials needs or meet our moral mark. And all we have is to vote for one of the two parties, or not vote.

Sorry for crossing the line back into vibes anecdotes, but whether it's purposefully orchestrated or not, we are channeled into these slots. I'm a rural laborer who gets accused of being a republican, and just today I was speaking with a wealthy liberal who balked at hearing I went to vote uncommitted (in a democratic primary) because "what about Trump!??!". Because he's a threat to democracy! It must be very precious to you!

I don't know every average American, but I've seen the polls and the hand wringing in this very thread. Our American political understanding culture and participation is so far from materially representing us that... well that we'll openly say things like "we just have to wait for these people to die".

And to say "Americans are just that overwhelmingly dumb selfish racist ignorant" (or even a human nature argument) may be accurate, but is little comfort, or at least little excuse to look at people through the lense of democrat/republican. We are all the problem under this, but it's so easy to be captured by being the actual good guy because THOSE PEOPLE are the problem.

Banish the words republican and Democrat from your mind and then talk to people. You might get somewhere.

You seem to be using a whole lot of words to say "both sides are the same" which is like your average frat bros view of the 2 parties.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, it's a synecdoche, like saying "The Republicans failed to elect a Speaker of the House".

Those two things are analogous (Manchin and the freedom caucus group that voted against McCarthy are both party members whose personal incentives went against what the rest of the party wanted), but if you said "The Republicans refused to elect a Speaker of the House" instead of changing the wording and hoping nobody noticed, it would also be wrong.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
There is also the distinction between electing a loving speaker and overturning the loving filibuster.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

selec posted:

Part of running a competent party is leadership that can whip a tough vote. They just didn’t have it in them, collectively, to get it done.

If you expect a Westminster-style whip, you're going to be perennially disappointed. There's not actually a ton of pressure you can put on members of your caucus in the U.S.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

James Garfield posted:

Those two things are analogous (Manchin and the freedom caucus group that voted against McCarthy are both party members whose personal incentives went against what the rest of the party wanted), but if you said "The Republicans refused to elect a Speaker of the House" instead of changing the wording and hoping nobody noticed, it would also be wrong.

The difference in wording is because the Republicans managed to elect a Speaker eventually, while the Dems gave up on removing the filibuster. No shame in it, sometimes things are impossible and you have to give up.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

tagesschau posted:

If you expect a Westminster-style whip, you're going to be perennially disappointed. There's not actually a ton of pressure you can put on members of your caucus in the U.S.

I think the changes in fundraising from less dependence on party support to the ability of Tea Party/Freedom Caucus types to rely on winning their primary over the objection of party 'leaders' has contributed a lot to this. Manchin was immune to most pressure, likewise the Freedom Caucus - they're going to get re-elected regardless of toeing the line.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

tagesschau posted:

And for all that, both parties are far more cohesive and reliable in their votes than they were at any other point in history. Democratic administrations of the past had large segments of their own party in open rebellion against their legislative priorities. Including, almost especially, the most successful ones. If one was to accept that Biden and Democratic leadership are bad at keeping the party in line, FDR and LBJ were absolute dogshit losers who bumbled into every law they passed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Nenonen posted:

I'll slightly amend it by saying they aren't concerned about abortion bans beyond electability. Like, they aren't suddenly saying "Uh-oh, we didn't actually want to ban abortion because we actually believe it should still be legal in some cases". Most of them would, at the very least, be perfectly fine with a ban if it didn't cost them votes.

I will say Trump could be an outlier here because he does seem to have the absolute worst, least consistent, least genuine views on everything imaginable. For most other Rs it's "go ahead and ban it as long as we don't lose any power".

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
CNN trying to ring the economy is going to collapse any second bell: With inflation stalling, the long-predicted storm clouds in the economy may actually be forming

quote:

New York
CNN

Jamie Dimon warned two years ago that storm clouds and a hurricane were brewing in the US economy. The JPMorgan Chase CEO, one of the most closely followed figures across the globe for his views on the economy, among other topics, was off by miles.

The US economy not only skirted a recession — something many prominent economists also predicted at the time — but has been growing at an even faster pace than a year ago. On top of that, the unemployment rate has stayed below 4% for more than two years despite 11 rate hikes intended to slow the economy in an effort to curb decades-high inflation.

Dimon’s prior miscalculation isn’t stopping him from sounding the alarm again. In the bank’s annual shareholder letter released Monday, ahead of its Friday quarterly earnings report, Dimon said he has “concerns about persistent inflationary pressures.” That’s why he’s skeptical the economy will achieve a soft landing, where inflation continues to cool without causing an unemployment spike.

Federal Reserve officials share Dimon’s concerns, leading some to question whether any rate cuts should happen this year, starkly contrasting the median forecast of three cuts they made at last month’s meeting and first signaled back in December. But potentially persistent inflation isn’t the only red flag in the economy right now.

Leaving the door open for rate hikes
Fed Gov. Michelle Bowman said last week she’s even willing to consider raising rates “should progress on inflation stall or even reverse.” For now, she doesn’t think there’s a high likelihood that hikes will be merited.

Inflation measured by the Fed’s preferred gauge, the Personal Consumption Expenditures price index, is up 2.5% for the 12 months that ended in February, a slight acceleration from January.

The progress in inflation over the past year came from supply chain improvements, a higher supply of workers due in part to immigration, and lower energy prices, Bowman said in a speech last week.

“It is unclear whether further supply-side improvements will continue to lower inflation,” Bowman added. At the same time, like Dimon, she’s worried geopolitical conflicts and fiscal spending could put more pressure on prices.

Small-business owners haven’t felt this bad about the economy in over a decade
Although the economy is booming by many measures, including last month’s blowout jobs report, small business owners aren’t feeling gung-ho about it.

An index produced by the National Federation of Independent Business gauging how small-business owners expect to fare in the future dropped to its lowest level since 2012 last month.

The main contributor to the decline was a significant fall in the share of business owners who expect their inflation-adjusted sales to be higher during the next three months compared to current levels.

“The small business sector is showing signs of a potential slowdown,” NFIB head Holly Wade and the trade organization’s chief economist Bill Dunkelberg said in a report published Tuesday. “Continued stress in navigating inflation pressures leads as the top business problem,” they added.

Consumers aren’t confident in their ability to make on-time debt payments
Higher inflation is also weighing on consumers who are shouldering a record level of credit card debt.

And the highest share of consumers since the onset of the pandemic said they’re unsure if they’ll make a minimum debt payment on time, according to the New York Fed’s monthly Survey of Consumer Expectations that was released on Monday.

Across all age groups, the uptick was most profound among 40- to 60-year-olds. That’s significant because that cohort is experiencing an even lower unemployment rate than the nation overall.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's hard to believe that people don't respect the science of economics with analyses based on vague gesturing at "geopolitical conflicts."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Another Boeing whistleblower has come forward and made his name public, this time about the 787.

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/09/1243770423/boeing-whistleblower-787-faa-investigation

quote:

WASHINGTON — Federal regulators are investigating a whistleblower's claims about flaws in the assembly of Boeing's 787 Dreamliner.

Longtime Boeing engineer Sam Salehpour went public Tuesday with claims that he observed problems with how parts of the plane's fuselage were fastened together. Salehpour warns that production "shortcuts" could significantly shorten the lifespan of the plane, eventually causing the fuselage to fall apart in mid-flight.

"If left unchecked, this could result in catastrophic failure," Salehpour said Tuesday during a press briefing to discuss his claims.

A spokesman for the FAA confirmed that the agency is investigating those allegations, which were first reported by the New York Times, but declined to comment further on them.

Boeing immediately pushed back.

"These claims about the structural integrity of the 787 are inaccurate and do not represent the comprehensive work Boeing has done to ensure the quality and long-term safety of the aircraft," Boeing spokeswoman Jessica Kowal said in a statement. "We are fully confident in the 787 Dreamliner."

[…]

The concerns Salehpour raises with the 787 Dreamliner appear to be similar to those that prompted the FAA to halt deliveries of the plane in 2021, when regulators found production flaws including unacceptable gaps between the fuselage panels.

The FAA subsequently approved Boeing's plans to revise its quality control and production processes, paving the way for the planemaker to resume 787 deliveries the following year.

But Salehpour and his lawyers argue that Boeing has never adequately addressed those concerns. Instead, he says the company took "shortcuts" by applying greater force to fit segments of the fuselage together.

"Boeing hid the problem by pushing the pieces together with force to make it appear like that the gap didn't exist," Salehpour told reporters at Tuesday's press briefing.

Salehpour says he repeatedly raised these concerns with management, but instead of addressing them, they transferred him to work on a different plane, the 777, where he alleges he saw similar problems.

"I literally saw people jumping on the pieces of the airplane to get them to align," he said. "That's not how you build a plane."

Boeing says it has conducted extensive testing, and that these issues "will not change or affect the expected lifespan of the 787 fuselages."

"The issues raised have been subject to rigorous engineering examination under FAA oversight. This analysis has validated that these issues do not present any safety concerns and the aircraft will maintain its service life over several decades," the company said in response to Salehpour's claims.

The 787 is made with lighter-weight composite materials, which help the aircraft deliver greater fuel efficiency than older 767s and 777s. But the rollout of the Dreamliner has been troubled from the start.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ah yes Chase CEO saying doom is coming and that the US should increase its military ways for their benefit.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

Another Boeing whistleblower has come forward and made his name public, this time about the 787.

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/09/1243770423/boeing-whistleblower-787-faa-investigation

So when is his depression-induced spontaneous suicide scheduled?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Florida keeps on Floriding

Lmao good lord

" He was swirving so I pulled him over "
" I thought I smelled weed"
" I got a lil scared 🥺"

The biggest loving bunch of pussies

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

So when is his depression-induced spontaneous suicide scheduled?

There is no evidence that the other guy didn't commit suicide. Stop buying into conspiracy theories

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Fart Amplifier posted:

There is no evidence that the other guy didn't commit suicide. Stop buying into conspiracy theories

I mean, there's the part where he told people he definitely wasn't going to kill himself shortly before his death.

But outside of that, no.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ah so this is the pivot back from some of the recent econ news thats actually mildly positive, lol at econ news/reporting.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Fart Amplifier posted:

EDIT: Beaten, and with a better source.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boeing's come up in conversation irl a few times now and nobody I or whoever I've been discussing it with knows believes that it's anything but the world's least subtle assassination, with what the friend said.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

RBA Starblade posted:

Boeing's come up in conversation irl a few times now and nobody I or whoever I've been discussing it with knows believes that it's anything but the world's least subtle assassination, with what the friend said.

I'm not saying it's definitely anything, because I'm just an idiot on the internet and it'd be dumb as hell for me to confidently say what definitely happened somewhere I've never even been.

But I will say that if this guy did legit kill himself, Boeing was very unlucky for that to have happened at the most suspicious time possible.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

RBA Starblade posted:

I guess for me, that's kind of why I don't think it was an assassination.

He already gave his statements, the cat was completely out of the bag, and Boeing has every loving eye laser focused on them plus a bunch of people who were already providing information in this expanding investigation.

The opportunity to merc a dude was probably 4 or 5 years ago, and doing it now absolutely doesn't do jack poo poo.

If it was a murder, my suspicion is it was performed by someone specifically in Boeing, probably some petite bourgeois QA manager who feels he's going to be blamed by the company and isn't thinking rationally.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Now, I'm just some guy on the computer, this is not my strongest area of expertise, but I think the reaction about the inflation numbers today is less about the number itself, which really isn't that bad, and more about the fact that a lot of market participants have spent the last several months talking themselves into believing that the Federal Reserve will cut rates multiple times this year, since inflation has been defeated after all. In my opinion, the rate cuts thing is a little bit of a wishcast, because they really really really want those cuts. Today's numbers kind of snap them out of that fantasy, and while the Fed is unlikely to further hike (again, the number itself was fine, it was like 0.1% higher than expected), they also don't have a reason to immediately cut rates either, and so the market throws a hissy fit.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm not saying it's definitely anything, because I'm just an idiot on the internet and it'd be dumb as hell for me to confidently say what definitely happened somewhere I've never even been.

But I will say that if this guy did legit kill himself, Boeing was very unlucky for that to have happened at the most suspicious time possible.

How so? Is our government going to regulate them more harshly as a result of his death?

single-mode fiber posted:

Now, I'm just some guy on the computer, this is not my strongest area of expertise, but I think the reaction about the inflation numbers today is less about the number itself, which really isn't that bad, and more about the fact that a lot of market participants have spent the last several months talking themselves into believing that the Federal Reserve will cut rates multiple times this year, since inflation has been defeated after all. In my opinion, the rate cuts thing is a little bit of a wishcast, because they really really really want those cuts. Today's numbers kind of snap them out of that fantasy, and while the Fed is unlikely to further hike (again, the number itself was fine, it was like 0.1% higher than expected), they also don't have a reason to immediately cut rates either, and so the market throws a hissy fit.

The Fed were the ones who came out and predicted multiple rate cuts last year.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 10, 2024

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean, there's the part where he told people he definitely wasn't going to kill himself shortly before his death.

But outside of that, no.
I mean, that's what John McAfee said before he killed himself, so you're right that it's evidence, but I don't know that I would call it super strong evidence.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1778051012760125538

Matt Gaetz, cmon down

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

But outside of that, no.

It's honestly more suspicious that he told people that. John McAfee did the same thing and then definitely committed suicide when the law closed in on him. McAfee just wanted it to look like the Illuminati silenced him for good or something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My "I am definitely not going to kill myself" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

But outside of that, no.

He allegedly told one family friend in a statement that can't be verified to even exist. And even if he did say that, people who say they won't commit suicide still can.

Meanwhile his family seems to accept that it was suicide and that the stress had aged him and affected his health.

https://fortune.com/2024/03/28/boeing-737-whistleblower-john-barnett-death-family-lawsuit/

Xiahou Dun posted:

Boeing was very unlucky for that to have happened at the most suspicious time possible.

Years after the whistle blowing during depositions for an appeal of a decision over lost wages and before the Boeing team was set to cross examine him is not the most suspicious time possible.

This is a Seth Rich level conspiracy theory

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 10, 2024