Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you haven't flown LAX - LHR in the upstairs of a 747, there's no real way to tell if air travel is worse now than it ever was (it's worse now). But that was one of those experiences I got at the very tail end of intercontinental travel being special, it was like being in a Pan-Am commercial from the 70's. The row was about 5' wide, 2 seats on each side of the plane and the seats were tall and solid so you felt like you were all alone with your seatmate while you sipped champagne. All hail the king, the 747.

Achy Breaky Heart was first done by the Marcy Brothers, a couple years before the Billy Ray Cyrus version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CRhKr2L59Y&t=66s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Leperflesh posted:

i put on 'vulgar display of power' and he made me turn it off

Pantera did an absolutely filthy cover of Planet Caravan and I'm sure a lot of people don't know that it's a Black Sabbath song.

FizFashizzle posted:

History has vindicated this choice: Metallica is the least metal band to have ever existed.

This sounds like a bad opinion from either a late 90's metalhead or a black/death metal edgelord.

Metallica literally created thrash metal, along with Exodus and other bands in the Bay area scene, and are pretty much the greatest metal band ever. I rejected them like an angsty teenager with the "sold out" poo poo in high school but in retrospect it's kinda dumb to expect any artist to literally make the same album over and over forever.

Kill em All - great NWOBHM/thrash album

Ride the Lighting/Master of Puppets - arguably 2 of the top 3 thrash albums ever made

...And Justice For All - progressive metal masterpiece (without bass)

Black Album - commercial metal veering into hard rock but still pretty great for what it is.

The Load/Reload albums are basically their hard rock/blues inspired albums

And so on

It takes balls to keep trying new things when you get to the apex of your profession because you can be like AC/DC and crank out the same stuff every couple years and always keep your fans happy or you can try to grow as an artist and take chances and risk getting backlash for evolving, which they did.

Take those first 5 albums and compare them against any other metal band's best 5 and they won't come close to the legacy, impact or progression of the genre. By the time other bands caught up and started copying what Metallica did, they were already tweaking their sound to go a different direction. Say what you will about them but no other band has done more to spread heavy music to a wider audience and that has to count for something.

Also, Hetfield is a riff and down-picking God.

Trap sprung, I took the bait and will fight anyone on this

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, but have you considered that Hanson "Mmbop" is the last classic rock song ever made?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, but have you considered that Hanson "Mmbop" is the last classic rock song ever made?

I thought it was "American Idiot"

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I am very happy to report that Monkey Man absolutely loving rips. I also see why there’s a real chance that it doesn’t get released in India.

Abugadu posted:

Heading to Norman, OK and then DC over the next month.

Is there anything at all to do in Norman?

Leave?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Wife's birthday tomorrow, snuck to the store to get stuff to make a cake as well as let the kids pick out some decorations and flowers, then hid everything so we could do it all tomorrow while she is at work. Literally within 2 seconds of getting home the 5 year old told her everything unprompted.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I have a feeling she knew it was her birthday!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pain of Mind posted:

Wife's birthday tomorrow, snuck to the store to get stuff to make a cake as well as let the kids pick out some decorations and flowers, then hid everything so we could do it all tomorrow while she is at work. Literally within 2 seconds of getting home the 5 year old told her everything unprompted.

Kids under a certain age are completely unable to keep a secret.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Abugadu posted:

Heading to Norman, OK and then DC over the next month.

Is there anything at all to do in Norman?

The university has a couple of decent museums (Fred Jones for art, Sam Noble for natural history). Jones is small but Noble can kill an afternoon. The campus as a whole is pretty nice to walk around.

As far as bars and restaurants, Main Street and Campus Corner are the main places. Campus Corner skews more college age, obviously, but O’Connell’s is an institution and has decent burgs. The restaurant turnover is pretty high and I moved away three years ago so I’m not super current. Tea Cafe is a well liked Chinese place. Neighborhood Jam is a really good brunch place. Scratch on main is pretty good.

Also Norman Music Festival is usually sometime in April if you happen to be there that weekend.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Dang ol' low country shrimp boil tuesday and the Arby's curly fries I tell you what Hank

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Black Sunshine posted:

Pantera did an absolutely filthy cover of Planet Caravan and I'm sure a lot of people don't know that it's a Black Sabbath song.

This sounds like a bad opinion from either a late 90's metalhead or a black/death metal edgelord.

Metallica literally created thrash metal, along with Exodus and other bands in the Bay area scene, and are pretty much the greatest metal band ever. I rejected them like an angsty teenager with the "sold out" poo poo in high school but in retrospect it's kinda dumb to expect any artist to literally make the same album over and over forever.

Ride the Lighting/Master of Puppets - arguably 2 of the top 3 thrash albums ever made

Black Album - commercial metal veering into hard rock but still pretty great for what it is.

And so on

It takes balls to keep trying new things when you get to the apex of your profession because you can be like AC/DC and crank out the same stuff every couple years and always keep your fans happy or you can try to grow as an artist and take chances and risk getting backlash for evolving, which they did.

Take those first 5 albums and compare them against any other metal band's best 5 and they won't come close to the legacy, impact or progression of the genre. By the time other bands caught up and started copying what Metallica did, they were already tweaking their sound to go a different direction. Say what you will about them but no other band has done more to spread heavy music to a wider audience and that has to count for something.

i was talking about napster but i guess theres less overlap between metal and punk than i thought

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Pain of Mind posted:

I literally :lol:ed at this. Just like a perfect dad moment.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I hope I did you proud, AA

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Black Sunshine posted:

And so on

Yeah their first 3 albums are metal masterpieces imo, just banger after banger. I must have listened to each of them hundreds of times in high school once I discovered them. They lost me with the Load/Reload phase and I never really checked back in after that. I know they put out several more albums after that, are any of them any good?

The Napster incident was unfortunate and it’s too bad Lars is such a prominent figure because he seems like a douchebag. Their musical chops and influence/legacy however are legendary.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Hot take: United's transcontinental business class is up there with, or better than, any carrier other than the Gulf carriers or the East Asian carriers.

Especially if it's the only direct option

I haven't flown United business class in over 10 years, so it's been awhile, but my seat map shows I'm on the side all by myself, which was not the case last time I flew with them. I *could* have taken Italian Air but it was more expensive and I guess my work gets pissy about that sort of thing lol

I'm taking Aer Lingus back which I'm excited about since I get partner miles for it on my main account.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Well, if you were lukewarm on that Civil War movie before (like I was), looks like the film uses "footage" from known pos Andy Ngo (that was probably stolen by him):

https://twitter.com/WillTheLandMan/status/1777791857650704798
https://twitter.com/WillTheLandMan/status/1777800466987892799

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If the movies fun / good I don't care where they get riot footage.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Chances are very high that Garland has no clue who Andy Ngo is

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Freaquency posted:

Chances are very high that Garland has no clue who Andy Ngo is

That's what I'm assuming, but regardless it's a heads-up if that's a problem for anyone

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I just saw Godzilla X Kong: the New Empire and they utilized this technique in some shots. Was kinda distracting because the entire movie is digital and my brain was "why are you doing this?"

That said, that movie was fun for a matinee screening. Still
mad I missed Godzilla vs. Kong in the theaters and spent the time watching it at home thinking "this would be more entertaining on the big screen…"

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I hope I did you proud, AA
Exquisite plating. :discourse:

Shinji2015 posted:

Well, if you were lukewarm on that Civil War movie before (like I was), looks like the film uses "footage" from known pos Andy Ngo (that was probably stolen by him):

https://twitter.com/WillTheLandMan/status/1777791857650704798
https://twitter.com/WillTheLandMan/status/1777800466987892799
Andy is local to PDX & helped the Proud Boys gain notoriety in the national spotlight. I wouldn't normally promote Asian-on-Asian crime but if he was on fire I wouldn't waste the piss in my bladder to put him out.

It should also be noted Alex Garland is British and likely doesn't know that Ngo is not a reliable "journalist." Then again he never read the rest of the Southern Reach trilogy when he did Annihilation and didn't care that Natalie Portman's character was revealed to be actually East Indian in the other books.

I got my tickets for a Thursday screening of Civil War so I'm trying my best to go into it with no other outside influences.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

To be honest I don't care to read the thoughts of any American or British conservative.

All of them have completely and utterly failed in their 4th estate duty and all of them are traitors to their cause.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Black Sunshine posted:

Yeah, this. I remember when I was first getting into alternative rock/heavy metal/etc. in high school, and at the time, I was pretty into Sevendust. And when Animosity came out, it was so different from Sevendust and Home, since they were experimenting with different melodies, and it turned out to be an amazing album that did really well, but then they reverted back to their standard style and it doesn't seem like they've really deviated a whole lot since, with some exceptions. And to this day, Animosity is still my favorite album of theirs.

Edit:

Fifty Three posted:

S&M and S&M2 are awesome albums. :colbert:

S&M has loving "No Leaf Clover" on it, and I will go to my grave with that being one of my all-time favorite songs across any artist.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 10, 2024

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Nodoze posted:

Hot (lukewarm? slightly edgy?) take, metallica was never good

They started sucking after the double whammy of Burton dying and running out of Mustaine's songs to steal. Ride the Lightning is unquestionably the peak, Master of Puppets is still good but unbelievably overrated.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

United’s flights over oceans haven’t been a problem for me, though it’s only been trans-Pacific for me and not over the Atlantic.

(Still the best flight experience I’ve had was Emirates, though ANA overnight to London was also pretty good because for some reason coach was shockingly small in that plane)

Still haven’t flown since the pandemic, either, though we now got our toddler a passport so hopefully that means travel this year or next.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Pain of Mind posted:

We can't tell my 4-year-old what gifts we get people because she has a history of telling them what the gift is right before they open it

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Holy poo poo I'm lucky - I left the (electric) stove on overnight. Nothing happened except a potentially ruined pan luckily :stare:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Good morning ladies and lads

https://x.com/nocertainlynot/status/1777738022676471887?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, that “Civil War” film screams idiotic“moderate” “Why can’t we just meet in the middle” agree with the right politics to me.
The kind of politics that treats lives like mine as bargaining chips to be given away.

Anyway, I do be wondering what’s up with Courtney Barnett. Like, professionally. I think about lesbians a lot more these days than I did a few years ago.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Last time I saw Courtney her girlfriend was opening for her, but that was a pretty long time ago so who knows if they're still together

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Grozz Nuy posted:

Last time I saw Courtney her girlfriend was opening for her, but that was a pretty long time ago so who knows if they're still together
They’re not. Also her label went down and she just did an instrumental album with Warpaint drummer Stella Mozgawa, who has become, like…her sole collaborator?
She played her back catalogue by herself on the tour.

And she’ll probably never say a word about any of it unless someone gives her a dictaphone again.

Edit: I thought of all of this because of the discussion of artists selling out, and making an instrumental album is usually the opposite of doing that.

Kurgarra Queen fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 10, 2024

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Seems very silly to turn up the outrage when nobody knows how long the footage is, or even what is in it, that this guy provided.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yeah but outrage drives clicks which will inevitably get butts in seats

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yeah but outrage drives clicks which will inevitably get butts in seats

I would argue that the kind of person that's going to see an A24 film in the theaters would be turned off to seeing it at all with this info, myself included.

All these post collapse civil war style movies are thinly veiled right wing propaganda, and they're generally terrible too. Early returns on this newest one aren't great, and that's before Andy Ngo got a special shout out in the credits.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Id venture a lot less people care than you think.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I believe the point of this movie is that civil war would be bad, very bad. It's not supposed to be propaganda.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I can’t make myself watch it again, but this is a big heartfelt wedding production after he left her and his kids for 8mo and she stuck around pining for him? Or did I miss something else key here?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, I will bet money the director himself is just like "who the gently caress is Andy Ngo?" when hearing about all this.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

LeeMajors posted:

I can’t make myself watch it again, but this is a big heartfelt wedding production after he left her and his kids for 8mo and she stuck around pining for him? Or did I miss something else key here?

I think that's it. Although, even the flower girls could sense this wedding was a mistake.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

Thank you for summarizing this because I wasn't going to watch a 3 minute video with zero context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://x.com/thehill/status/1778046787623821780

With friends like these…

wandler20 posted:

I think that's it. Although, even the flower girls could sense this wedding was a mistake.

The kids should’ve told him to go gently caress himself

Bird in a Blender posted:

Thank you for summarizing this because I wasn't going to watch a 3 minute video with zero context.

I didn’t realize it was 3min until I was 2min into, so I gave into sunk cost