Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Boat Stuck posted:

Lol

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1777819316219494857

Can't do the obvious (increase wages) without lowering shareholder returns

Lmao at paying worse than McDonalds and being harder work than Amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
if you watch broadcast TV down here at all you'll see commercials for 'BUILD SUBMARINES' at least once a day, or at least I have

usually 4-5 of them during any given football game

it reads as a hell of a lot more desperate than they were probably intending

entire sectors of the US economy have this problem - aviation has it bad; almost nobody graduates from mechanic school anymore because of how difficult it is and because your instructors spend three straight years telling you the actual work will be even worse and the pay will be rear end and you're not going to have any kind of life at all, and then a significant portion of the people who do graduate don't stay in the industry because the instructors weren't lying. skilled construction labor is even worse. back in my 20s I spent a few years as an electrician and I was consistently the youngest person on any given jobsite, and from friends who have remained in that field, it's apparently way worse now. the work keeps getting harder, hours keep getting longer, schedules keep getting worse, but pay and benefits have not been increasing enough to compensate, so there's just no loving reason to pick up the trades anymore, you don't benefit from it

I have a bunch of friends who went on to academia or computer-touching positions who tell me 'I wish I had gone to technical school' and meanwhile I'm over here like 'I wish I had gone to loving college man'

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Apr 10, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I just can't get over this. If I find out my car garage mechanics make minimum wage, I would not go near that garage.

And I don't die from lack of oxygen if my car shits the bed.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Boat Stuck posted:

Lol

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1777819316219494857

Can't do the obvious (increase wages) without lowering shareholder returns

Goddamn, look at how thick the sonar absorbent layer is on that bitch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The difference in outcome is really very striking

China massively subsidizes green energy -> the world is flooded with cheap solar panels

The US massively subsidizes green energy -> Elon Musk becomes the richest man in the world

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just can't get over this. If I find out my car garage mechanics make minimum wage, I would not go near that garage.
Good thing people making the procurement decisions also won't be going anywhere near these subs.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Gripweed posted:

The difference in outcome is really very striking

China massively subsidizes green energy -> the world is flooded with cheap solar panels

The US massively subsidizes green energy -> Elon Musk becomes the richest man in the world

and in the us, the solar panel installation companies are largely weird scams where you end up paying more money for them than they're worth so some lovely company can extract rent from you and maybe take your house

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I totally want to serve on a sub welded together by some dude who couldn't get a job at McDonald's or Amazon

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Hatebag posted:

and in the us, the solar panel installation companies are largely weird scams where you end up paying more money for them than they're worth so some lovely company can extract rent from you and maybe take your house

Yeah they are more like financial scams, like energy suppliers that call you consistently and ask you to switch your electric/gas bill energy supply from your utility company to one of the 50 little companies that you have never heard off. You will basically get discount rate for the first x months and then will get a huge bill whenever the electricity price fluctuate during very hot/cold months.

The solar companies don't own or manufacture anything, they just hook you up with the panel installers and then flip your financing to a bigger bank after you sign a 20 year 30 year contract. Also the solar companies always assume home owners will get the state subsidy or good electricity buy back rate forever in their math but those are lies.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

Lmao at paying worse than McDonalds and being harder work than Amazon

Also there's 100% chance those jobs require a security clearance as well so the pool of workers is limited and if you aren't paying people well why would they want to deal with that part of it when they could just work at McDonalds?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah they are more like financial scams, like energy suppliers that call you consistently and ask you to switch your electric/gas bill energy supply from your utility company to one of the 50 little companies that you have never heard off. You will basically get discount rate for the first x months and then will get a huge bill whenever the electricity price fluctuate during very hot/cold months.

The solar companies don't own or manufacture anything, they just hook you up with the panel installers and then flip your financing to a bigger bank after you sign a 20 year 30 year contract. Also the solar companies always assume home owners will get the state subsidy or good electricity buy back rate forever in their math but those are lies.

you can just buy the panels and have them installed and avoid the entire financialization, but then the company doesn't get as many tax credits and it is harder to scam you.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

oh yeah, the variable rate utility companies. that poo poo is terrible, lol. they get kids to go door to door trying to bamboozle people. there's one here where they try to say they're buying green energy credits and selling them to the actual utility company or some convoluted horseshit. so many weird little scams

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Supposedly, the average pay for a ship welder in Virginia is $25 an hour (if people want to dispute it fine but this is a hypothetical), it is certainly higher than an average worker at Mcdonalds but probably not that much more than an assistant manager. Perhaps military shipyards are on the higher end of the scale etc etc, but you need a security clearance, which only going to be an extra burden on top.

They could just pay people more to bring them in, but if congress is fine with a submarine taking 6+ years to build, then why the hassle? Just have some old timers do a little bit of work once in a while, and then everyone can take a nap.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:40 on Apr 10, 2024

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

You get what you pay for is only supposed to apply to suckers, not owners. Quick, Mr. President, put these uppity peasants in their place!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Plus the whole exposure to industrial chemicals and waste thing

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Ardennes posted:

Supposedly, the average pay for a ship welder in Virginia is $25 an hour (if people want to dispute it fine but this is a hypothetical), it is certainly higher than an average worker at Mcdonalds but probably not that much more than an assistant manager. Perhaps, the military shipyards are on the higher end of the scale etc etc, yeah you need a security clearance, which only going to be an extra burden on top.

They could just pay people more to bring them in, but if congress is fine with a submarine taking 6+ years to build, then why the hassle? Just have some old timers once in a while to do a little bit of work, and then everyone can take a nap.

Assistant managers make like 13 - 20 /hr depending on the state, although I have no idea what's up with cali these days. GM's will hit well above 25 /hr technically, but will be working like 60 hour weeks on salary.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ardennes posted:

Supposedly, the average pay for a ship welder in Virginia is $25 an hour (if people want to dispute it fine but this is a hypothetical), it is certainly higher than an average worker at Mcdonalds but probably not that much more than an assistant manager. Perhaps military shipyards are on the higher end of the scale etc etc, but you need a security clearance, which only going to be an extra burden on top.

They could just pay people more to bring them in, but if congress is fine with a submarine taking 6+ years to build, then why the hassle? Just have some old timers do a little bit of work once in a while, and then everyone can take a nap.

Welders probably do alright it’s all the stuff like painters (and marine coatings require much more know how, or should) or “unskilled” labor that is the crunch.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The policy papers from Australia show they deliberately hosed with naval procurement over decades to break up the skilled, high paying, unionized workforce, I would imagine the US did something similar?

Yeah. I remember reading an article about an Alabama shipyard exclusively building navy ships. Half of the article recounted dangerous jobs, like cutting metal with an obviously hazardous modified angle grinder notorious for dismembering workers. I think it had a name like "widow maker" or something among the workers.

Ok googling "Alabama shipyard navy angle grinder" brings up a bunch of articles on the place. Austal USA’s shipyard in Mobile, Alabama. Holy 53 workers mauled by the same tool.

Oh, and it turns out Austal is Australian.
https://revealnews.org/article/this-tool-cuts-fingers-and-gashes-faces-but-shipbuilder-still-uses-it/

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

residential solar is a huge scam. the math never works out and a ton of subsidies that are used in commercial solar arent available so you end up paying a ton for a minor reduction in your electrical bills, assuming that you werent swindled to instead rent the system and pay the solar installer for the power directly

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

shirunei posted:

Assistant managers make like 13 - 20 /hr depending on the state, although I have no idea what's up with cali these days. GM's will hit well above 25 /hr technically, but will be working like 60 hour weeks on salary.

We are also talking about Newport News and Gorton, Connecticut, they aren't cheap places, and they are going to be competing for jobs in those specific areas: a full time crew member in Newport News $11-14, and an assistant manger is $18-20+.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Welders probably do alright it’s all the stuff like painters (and marine coatings require much more know how, or should) or “unskilled” labor that is the crunch.

Welders are more money than assistant manger; but it is also a high risk occupation, so even if they are making more money, is it actually worth it?

But yeah all the "unskilled labor" have that issue as well naturally.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:55 on Apr 10, 2024

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

residential solar is a huge scam. the math never works out and a ton of subsidies that are used in commercial solar arent available so you end up paying a ton for a minor reduction in your electrical bills, assuming that you werent swindled to instead rent the system and pay the solar installer for the power directly

doesn't it kind of work out if you get a battery and panels installed and pay for it directly? that's like $15-20k which should mean it pays for itself after like a decade

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The shipyards in Connecticut are unionized IIRC. They also definitely pay more than Amazon or fast-food unless friends are lying to me.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Minenfeld! posted:

The shipyards in Connecticut are unionized IIRC. They also definitely pay more than Amazon or fast-food unless friends are lying to me.

The ones in Newport News are as well, but they are also dependent on the companies they work for. Also, the old timers have been probably been getting step ups over time while the starting wages are going to be lower.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:00 on Apr 10, 2024

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i wouldnt say that. instead i would say that residential solar is yet another way we further stratify wealth. the systems of incentives means that residential solar makes the rich get richer, doesn't really help the middle class and is unavailable to the poor who would actually benefit from it.

someone with a mansion in a hot climate will quickly payback their solar, since solar production aligns well with AC demand. a poor person in a small house trying to not die in the summer can't afford to own the panels outright so at best they get scammed into a solar install that they don't own.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Perhaps military shipyards are on the higher end of the scale etc etc, but you need a security clearance, which only going to be an extra burden on top.

this ties into the massive growth of the secret state and their contractors. if you have a security clearance, why get a job in a shipyard where you might die when you can get a computer toucher job running fake companies for a CIA sub-contractor or investigating tik-tok posters for an DHS sub-contractor?

there are far more people working as contractors for the secret state than there are in all the military shipyards.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hatebag posted:

doesn't it kind of work out if you get a battery and panels installed and pay for it directly? that's like $15-20k which should mean it pays for itself after like a decade

paying for it directly is the best way to get the most out of it. if youre in america, you can get the government to cover 30% of the cost with the federal ITC, 40% if you use mostly american-made products but lol, good luck finding panels and mounts that are eligible for the domestic content bonus

The problem with batteries is that they are very expensive and unless you are using a ton of electricity, probably arent worth it. Their main cost benefit is reducing peak kW demand, which most utilities dont charge residential customers since their peak demand is pretty low compared to commercial, and especially industrial, customers. So the main benefit that most residential customers would get out of batteries is storing any overproduction from panels to then use during the night/cloudy days when your panels arent producing, cutting your kWh needed from the utility. youd maybe save a few dollars worth of electricity each day

id also very much doubt youd be able to get a panel and battery system for less than $20k, itd be closer to $40k, depending on the size and who you hire to install it. the more of the process you can do on your own, the more you will save and have it maybe worth it. homesteaders installing 8 used panels and an inverter with battery in their extra shed have the right idea, but that isnt really viable for the majority of ppl

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

i wouldnt say that. instead i would say that residential solar is yet another way we further stratify wealth. the systems of incentives means that residential solar makes the rich get richer, doesn't really help the middle class and is unavailable to the poor who would actually benefit from it.

someone with a mansion in a hot climate will quickly payback their solar, since solar production aligns well with AC demand. a poor person in a small house trying to not die in the summer can't afford to own the panels outright so at best they get scammed into a solar install that they don't own.

true, the payback periods are pretty brutal for resi solar, so only the rich will realistically be able to actually own their personal system. Middle class gets in on the action through scam resi solar companies that rent out systems they install that then have the customer pay the installer directly for the power. After a certain period of time, the customer will buy out the system and be stuck with maintenance, which they will almost certainly ignore and the production from the system will flatline

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

paying for it directly is the best way to get the most out of it. if youre in america, you can get the government to cover 30% of the cost with the federal ITC, 40% if you use mostly american-made products but lol, good luck finding panels and mounts that are eligible for the domestic content bonus

The problem with batteries is that they are very expensive and unless you are using a ton of electricity, probably arent worth it. Their main cost benefit is reducing peak kW demand, which most utilities dont charge residential customers since their peak demand is pretty low compared to commercial, and especially industrial, customers. So the main benefit that most residential customers would get out of batteries is storing any overproduction from panels to then use during the night/cloudy days when your panels arent producing, cutting your kWh needed from the utility. youd maybe save a few dollars worth of electricity each day

id also very much doubt youd be able to get a panel and battery system for less than $20k, itd be closer to $40k, depending on the size and who you hire to install it. the more of the process you can do on your own, the more you will save and have it maybe worth it. homesteaders installing 8 used panels and an inverter with battery in their extra shed have the right idea, but that isnt really viable for the majority of ppl

i was thinking a battery made sense if you could produce enough electricity so you didn't have to buy or sell any to the electrical utility, because they pay you like a tenth or less of what they charge you per kwh. but that requires a lot of surface area and the right geographic area as well, because a lot of places don't get enough sunshine to make it worth it.
i kinda wanna put wind turbines on my house because it's on a hill next to a busy road so there's always wind blowing. and i have a flat roof. plus it would be cool to have a bunch of spinning things up there.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Buildsubmarines dot com

Lmaoooooooooooi

i am wearing a ribbon and donating to raise awareness of the submarine gap

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

OhFunny posted:

The Navy is losing the sub race to Subway.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah NYC doesn't even offer peak/off-peak pricing anymore so you aren't saving any if you more power from the utility company in the day time. The utility company still offer that pricing option but they don't actually give you a discount rate in the evening.

The way I see it, if you are actually buying solar panels and battery at the China export price, and your country is in the tropics and don't get a lot of rain, you probably can save money with solar.

Still its a great solution for people who live outside of the grid, in the RV, and marginal people in the global south who are too far remote from stable power grid.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Apr 10, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/nati...ottawa-training

FF falling on hard times

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ll just go on Amazon and order submarines

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The policy papers from Australia show they deliberately hosed with naval procurement over decades to break up the skilled, high paying, unionized workforce, I would imagine the US did something similar?

The reactions of these last months of people rambling "but we have the money why we are having difficulty let's use the money!!!", lmao

Political economy explains that industrial power is built and maintained by socio-economic relations and factors. For example, a couple of these are savoir-faire and know-how: they can't be developed outside the action of craft/labor itself, but it can be taught and refined by the workers that are involved in it. Those abilities are essential for the development of industrial excellence and are inalienable - there is simply no way to buy it to transfer or to make somebody else acquire it for others - which is one of the things that make it a bane to capitalism, that it absolutely despises.

If industrial labor is tied into the primary generation of profit of a capitalist economy, then skill is a major issue of class war. It was with neoliberalism that capital simply decided to have a major fit and ditch it for the sake of finance, where skilled labor isn't a problem anymore. By sending it elsewhere, they couldn't realize that they were direct collaborators to the loss of the material economic power of their own society. It's really loving ironic that capitalists become so drat specialized in their role that they can't really be loving bothered to learn that the means of hegemony require that they give up a share of their profits -- and even funnier is seeing the ones that do get to this point think that it doesn't apply for them, lmao

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Trabisnikof posted:

this ties into the massive growth of the secret state and their contractors. if you have a security clearance, why get a job in a shipyard where you might die when you can get a computer toucher job running fake companies for a CIA sub-contractor or investigating tik-tok posters for an DHS sub-contractor?

there are far more people working as contractors for the secret state than there are in all the military shipyards.

and yet, I don't have an RA, or enough shelves for books, I can't get sabbatical to work on a book or anything, have to publish articles for work but can't get time to work on submissions for my ✨passion✨ (actually interesting area of study). Meanwhile, the academy has gotten so bad and so competitive, there's no way in hell I could get into a postdoc at Oxford or equivalent, which I would need for a decent tenure track position at a respectable school. At best, it's just military affairs stuff at Sandhurst, RMC, or King's College.

Can't we do the Ming bureaucracy thing where we overproduce scholars in the government instead of bagmen?

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Apr 10, 2024

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

The reactions of these last months of people rambling "but we have the money why we are having difficulty let's use the money!!!", lmao

Political economy explains that industrial power is built and maintained by socio-economic relations and factors. For example, a couple of these are savoir-faire and know-how: they can't be developed outside the action of craft/labor itself, but it can be taught and refined by the workers that are involved in it. Those abilities are essential for the development of industrial excellence and are inalienable - there is simply no way to buy it to transfer or to make somebody else acquire it for others - which is one of the things that make it a bane to capitalism, that it absolutely despises.

If industrial labor is tied into the primary generation of profit of a capitalist economy, then skill is a major issue of class war. It was with neoliberalism that capital simply decided to have a major fit and ditch it for the sake of finance, where skilled labor isn't a problem anymore. By sending it elsewhere, they couldn't realize that they were direct collaborators to the loss of the material economic power of their own society. It's really loving ironic that capitalists become so drat specialized in their role that they can't really be loving bothered to learn that the means of hegemony require that they give up a share of their profits -- and even funnier is seeing the ones that do get to this point think that it doesn't apply for them, lmao

We're gonna make robots and power them with AI. Problem solved, capital wins again

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

There's also literally no barracks in Ottawa.

Because they closed the base that had all the housing (ie prime real estate, the other one is now the international airport)

Tore down the barracks

Let the housing fall into literal ruins

As well as loving facilities that closed and weren't relocated within NCR, like the loving bank and Mess

and guess what it is now? loving guess?

loving luxury townhouses and condos

If I didn't love King and Country so much I would hate them.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

and yet, I don't have an RA, or enough shelves for books, I can't get sabbatical to work on a book or anything, have to publish articles for work but can't get time to work on submissions for my ✨passion✨ (actually interesting area of study). Meanwhile, the academy has gotten so bad and so competitive, there's no way in hell I could get into a postdoc at Oxford or equivalent, which I would need for a decent tenure track position at a respectable school. At best, it's just military affairs stuff at Sandhurst, RMC, or King's College.

Can't we do the Ming bureaucracy thing where we overproduce scholars in the government instead of bagmen?

I mean, looking at carrier prospects we are overproducing scholars :eng101:

genericnick has issued a correction as of 18:02 on Apr 10, 2024

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

We're gonna make robots and power them with AI. Problem solved, capital wins again

Science fiction is a plague on mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Bar Crow posted:

Science fiction is a plague on mankind.

It isn't but we took the wrong lessons. The "we need to work together and be communist" lost to "epic space tech" side