Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't know if it's just because of the timing of when I was paying attention to the NFL or something like that, but it sure seems like there are a shitload of players who are sons of former players nowadays. 10, 20 years ago there didn't seem like there were nearly that much. The only one from that time window (10-20 years ago) I could remember off the top of my head that played for the Packers is Clay Matthews.

Because players make enough money nowadays to like be able to easily afford the best training, the best everything for their kids. in a way that like 40-30 years ago they were not making that much money to dump into training their kids, and also like generally sports science was worse.

You mix all that knowledge of training and nutrition, with the genes of someone who has already shown they are a 1% of 1% athlete, along with access and money for like pro level trainers from a young age and you have a pretty decent shot of creating another extremely high level athlete.

Not always obviously, but will be higher than the average person's chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I think having daddy's genes is a great start.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's insane how much the chances of becoming somebody in the NFL rests in high school starting time and residence.

Like no high school coach would ever turn down starting time to a son of a famous NFLer and if they're living in a rich area of California or Texas they're getting hype from the get go. That gets you the high recruit status to get playing time freshman or sophomore year which then compounds your chances to put up good tape to get drafted. Having the money and training knowledge is a massive leg up. Same goes for coaches. You get to skip the entire grind of getting your praxis and teaching at a high school to get a coaching gig to get recognized in state championships to get the college position to get the NFL poaching. Sports are completely unfair to outsiders. Like half of FCS is made up of quality players that could easily start in the FBS but they get no scouts going out to their podunk town.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

kidcoelacanth posted:

re: MHJ it's worth noting that Literally Jerry Rice's kid is in this draft and he ain't poo poo

Rice's kid isn't his dad, but I wouldn't say he ain't poo poo

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sataere posted:

Rice's kid isn't his dad, but I wouldn't say he ain't poo poo

Edit: whoops misread.

I thought the scuttle butt about him was that he doesn't jump off the page but he's got decent technical chops and could be a better pro than college player.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

The Beast is up https://theathletic.com/5399690/2024/04/10/nfl-draft-2024-the-beast-dane-brugler/

Maye

STRENGTHS: Built well with prototypical size and room to continue filling out … has a fluid, explosive release with above -average velocity to drive the ball and make
every throw on the field … smartly alters his ball speeds and delivers with loft and touch when needed … shows a good feel for hot routes and checkdowns … still a
novice in this area but has gotten better using pumps and eye manipulation … quick feet on three-step drops and when reacting to pocket pressure … tape is full of
dot throws while on the move (sprints, rollouts, etc.) … agile mover to evade rushers and one of the better third-down scramblers in recent years (accounted for a
combined 42 first-down carries on thirdand fourth downsthe past two seasons) … led North Carolina in rushing in 2022 and understands when to slide and when to
use his toughness to finish runs (had 56 rushes of 10-plus yards the last two seasons, second most in the FBS behind only LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels) … high
school and college coaches all speak highly of his leadership role in the locker room and on the field (NFL scout: “Consideri ng his family’s success, I expected a cocky
kid, but he’s real grounded and humble. The ‘golly-gee’ stuff isn’t an act. He’ll need time before he’s ready to lead an NFL room, but he’ll get there.”) … benefits from
the older brother theory — he has three highly accomplished and athletic older brothers who pushed him to be the most competitive in the family … started 26
consecutive games the past two seasons and finished with a 17-9 record as a starter … set the school records for completions (342) and passing yards (4,321) in a
single season and leaves Chapel Hill ranked top five in program history in total offense (9,227), passing touchdowns (63), 300 -yard passing games (12) and passing
yards (8,018).
WEAKNESSES: Plays with reckless tendencies and still learning the throws he should and shouldn’t make … generally, his accuracy is above average, but his arm gets
juiced up and he will miss some layups … needs to reel back some bad habits in the pocket like excessive bouncing on his feet or fading away from throws … needs to
take better care of the football and is guilty of panic decisions as he is being sacked, turning a bad play into a catastrophic play … of his 16 career interceptions, 12
came in the second half … responsible for 10 fumbles over the past two seasons … two of his most inconsistent performances in college came in the final two games
he played (at Clemson and at NC State in 2023).
SUMMARY: A two-year starter at North Carolina, Maye thrived in Phil Longo’s Air Raid offense in 2022 and Chip Lindsey’s more balanced attack in 2023 (head coach
Mack Brown also hired Clyde Christensen, who coached Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and several other NFL quarterbacks, as an offensive analyst in 2023). Despite
only two years as the Tar Heels’ starter, they were the two most productive seasons by a quarterback in North Carolina history — Maye’s 5,019 yards of total offense
in 2022 set the school record and his 4,057 yards of total offense in 2023 wasthe second-most (he was the only FBS quarterback to accumulate over 9,000 yards of
total offense over the last two seasons). With his arm strength and pacing, Maye put the full inventory of throws on tape and operates with timing from the pocket to
attack the defense’s leverage. He is a quick-reaction athlete to make plays off-schedule as a scrambler and canrip throws from different platforms. His arm can get
juiced-up at times, disrupting his ball placement, and his progression reads are still a work in progress, especially when he feels pressed to make a play (39-to-4
touchdown-to-interception ratio in the first half compared to 24-to-12 in the second half). Overall, Maye needs to cut down on the reckless decisions, but he is a
well-put-together passer with the on-field command, athletic instincts and arm talent to create solutions for the problems that NFL defenses present. With his
physical gifts and smarts, he is cut from the same cloth as Justin Herbert and has a similar ceiling as an NFL player.
GRADE: 1st Round (No. 4 overall)

Daniels

STRENGTHS: Explosive plays are all over his tape (accounted for 90 plays of 20-plus yards in 2023) … electric athlete with quick, controlled feet (his father was a
cornerback, and Daniels moves like one) … slithery in the pocket, and his internal clock matured at an encouraging rate … quick release and can attack every inch of
the field vertically and horizontally … identifies voids pre-snap and has done a better job calming his eyes when scanning … excels with his placement on downfield
throws (67.0 percent completions and 22-to-0 touchdown-to-interception rate on throws of 20-plus yards in 2023) … shows the arm confidence to attack small
windows … stays balanced when navigating the pocket or feeling bodies around him … dangerous runner with the acceleratio n that destroys pursuit angles …
outstanding vision, especially at the second and third levels, using blocks and quick cuts to elude defenders … adopted a tir eless work ethic to understand every
nuance of the offense (LSU head coach Brian Kelly: “His work in the offseason was unbelievable … we used to cut off how long players could stay in the building but
had to change our protocols and give players unlimited access because Jayden basically lived here.”) … mature and accountable leader (voted team captain prior to
the 2023 season) … finished his college career with a 37-18 win-loss record as a starter … put together a consensus All-American final season with an FBS-best 412.2
total yards per game (74.1 yards ahead of Drake Maye at No. 2 on the list), becoming the first player in SEC history with 3,800-plus passing yards and 1,000-plus
rushing yards in a single season.
WEAKNESSES: Slender bone structure with lean features and limited growth potential … processing has improved, but he will leave reads too quickly … more likely to
scramble than create second-chance throws when pressured … lived outside the numbers in LSU’s offense … accuracy suffers when he adds RPMs to his throws,
usually missing high … can be more precise with his placement to make things easier on his receivers … takes too many hits on keepers, draws and scrambles and
needs to better protect his body to stay durable in the NFL … benefited from elite wide receiver talent at LSU … will turn 24 as a rookie.
SUMMARY: A two-year starter at LSU, Daniels was a dual-threat quarterback in former offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock’s spread, read-based offense (minimal
play-action). Previously stuck in a deteriorating situation at Arizona State, he transferred to Baton Rouge, received consistent coaching and thrived with the Tigers,
including a prolific and decorated 2023 season (became the first player in college football history with 12,000 -plus passing yards and 3,000-plus rushing yards in a
career). As a passer, Daniels plays with poise and balanced feet, and he uncoils with a rapid release and the arm talent to layer throws to all thr ee levels, doing his
best work on deep outside throws (slot fades, posts, etc.). His processing skills are ascending but still have plenty of room for improvement, especially once he is
pressured (he is more likely to scramble than create second-chance throws once moved from his spot). While not overly creative as a passer or runner, his athletic
instincts produce explosive runs and are part of what makes him dangerous. Overall, Daniels is a smooth point guard from the pocket when his eyes stay on
schedule, and his dazzling run skills make him a problem for defenses. This isn’t an apples-to-apples comparison, but NFL scouts say he forces opponents to
defend him like Lamar Jackson.
GRADE: 1st Round (No. 8 overall)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Awesome. And just FYI, you can open the PDF in Acrobat and just remove the password security without any master if you'd rather not have to keep track of it.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Here's the updated top 100 from Brugler, if anyone's interested

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Seventeen! WRs in the top 100.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Seventeen! WRs in the top 100.

I kind of want the Bucs to take a WR in the first or second round. Brian Thomas probably won't be available at 26 but that would be a great pickup.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Thinking about it more Safety should be filled with second generation players but I can’t think of any. Cornerback having multiple second generation guys in league right now while being one of the pickier body type and speed positions is wild.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
For the Bears it all comes down to this

vs

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

Kris Jenkins JR too and he's kinda nasty. I like him in the 2nd/3rd

I just remember being gobsmacked by this video of that kid

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/1691492259366383616

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

McCarthy is still the most fascinating media generation of the draft. Looking back at mocks from December and even right after the national title game where people had him anywhere from mid-teens to 2-3rd round to have a meteoric rise to top 5 or top 10 without any actual football being played since then. It's not like he played for a team with zero media coverage the whole season.

I will actually feel bad if the Vikings end up having to pay three 1sts for the right to draft him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I would rather trade back a few picks and just take Murphy or JZ Newton, if they don't think Turner can play in this defense or Turner isn't there tbh(although if Turner isn't there that likely means either Odunze or Alt are there).

Verse is old(He's the same age as Aiden Hutchinson. and has been beating up kids, and still has a lack of bend and any way to attack other than power, Never trust older dudes who just rely on bullying younger players)

Latu is old, and is an amazing technician, and also you know had a major neck surgery, as a Defensive lineman and was forced to medically retire from one team, and UCLA doctors cleared him. I do not trust those dudes in the first round in the draft, might end up being a miss, but I'll pass.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dexo posted:

I would rather trade back a few picks and just take Murphy or JZ Newton, if they don't think Turner can play in this defense or Turner isn't there tbh(although if Turner isn't there that likely means either Odunze or Alt are there).

Verse is old(He's the same age as Aiden Hutchinson. and has been beating up kids, and still has a lack of bend and any way to attack other than power, Never trust older dudes who just rely on bullying younger players)

Latu is old, and is an amazing technician, and also you know had a major neck surgery, as a Defensive lineman and was forced to medically retire from one team, and UCLA doctors cleared him. I do not trust those dudes in the first round in the draft, might end up being a miss, but I'll pass.

Yeah, a few months ago I was thinking 'just take DT' and obviously a trade back would be killer. I feel like they're picking 7th in the 2003 NBA draft again and even the best pick there just isn't that amazing compared to the top 5 (lol at detroit though). Thank god we get Carolina's pick!

Assuming the wrs are gone + no trade, just have to choose between an overhyped TE, 3 flawed edges, overdrafting two great DTs, or taking a guard i guess!

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 10, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Harlock posted:

McCarthy is still the most fascinating media generation of the draft. Looking back at mocks from December and even right after the national title game where people had him anywhere from mid-teens to 2-3rd round to have a meteoric rise to top 5 or top 10 without any actual football being played since then. It's not like he played for a team with zero media coverage the whole season.

I will actually feel bad if the Vikings end up having to pay three 1sts for the right to draft him.

To be clear, I would not trade up to draft JJ, but I think there is a reason for that.

Harbaugh just didn't throw the Ball. It doesn't mean JJ can't throw, it just means that he didn't Which means you are going to have to watch so much more tape to put together the number of "NFL throws" teams need to see. And then you need to talk to McCarthy and work him out at the 30 visit, and do all the other things to like try and get some idea of what his actual limits are, how good is he at reading a defense, what was he asked to do within the concept of Michigan's offense etc etc.

It's more projection with JJ, but if he can pass all those tests I think he is worth drafting in the first, unlikely he's worth trading like 3 firsts(there are like only a few QB's in the past decade worth that) to get him in the first, but depending on that behind the scenes stuff someone just spending one pick to draft him is defensible. Especially if he were in a Shanahan offense. KOC would love that kid and how he can attack MOF.

My guess is the Vikings want Drake Maye or maybe Jayden Daniels and will offer the Patriots that haul(I think Drake Maye is worth it) if the Pats don't want to take a QB there. Otherwise they might pay the chargers less to move ahead of the Giants(for JJ) but yeah. I doubt they are moving up to 3 for JJ.

trevorreznik posted:

Yeah, a few months ago I was thinking 'just take DT' and obviously a trade back would be killer. I feel like they're picking 7th in the 2003 NBA draft again and even the best pick there just isn't that amazing compared to the top 5 (lol at detroit though). Thank god we get Carolina's pick!

Assuming the wrs are gone + no trade, just have to choose between an overhyped TE, 3 flawed edges, overdrafting two great DTs, or taking a guard i guess!

Bowers not overhyped lol. He is the real loving deal. He's just a very specific player, where you have to have a creative OC willing to put him in situations to be a matchup nightmare. He is a super charged Kyle Juszczyk, who's more of a TE than just a FB. If you are just gonna play him as a normal TE drive in and drive out you are going to get a pretty decent pass catching tight end, and nothing more, but if you are creative and can move him around to gently caress with defenses you are going to get a loving monster.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 10, 2024

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Harbaugh was fine throwing a ton when he had Andrew Luck. I know there aren't many guys you'd trust to air it out like Luck, but if Harbaugh thought McCarthy had the goods Michigan's offense would've looked different last season.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Harlock posted:

I think Dexo nailed it, but also the fact that multiple teams interested in a first round quarterback is just going to inflate his price. It's a tale as old as time

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cash Monet posted:

Harbaugh was fine throwing a ton when he had Andrew Luck. I know there aren't many guys you'd trust to air it out like Luck, but if Harbaugh thought McCarthy had the goods Michigan's offense would've looked different last season.

*is remembering when Toby Gerhart won almost won the Heisman with Andrew Luck on the team*

Also compared to other QB's of his Stature, Andrew Luck threw far less than most.

But yeah when he had one of the best QB prospects of all time he threw the ball more lol.

Also Michigan could just run the ball and blow teams out lol. Like they were crushing teams doing poo poo like not throwing a single pass in the second half.

With JJ once again, it's going to just come down to whatever your team's projection of him is. He's young as gently caress, and generally always delivered when his team actually needed him to. Trading up for him is dumb as gently caress though.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 10, 2024

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

If you throw more than 30 times at Stanford you're a nut.

Stanford!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cash Monet posted:

If you throw more than 30 times at Stanford you're a nut.

Stanford!

He didn't throw over 30 times per game under harbs tho(28.6) :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

The argument that JJM would've thrown more if he was better is a bad argument. Michigan wasn't built to air it out. They were trying to win championships with defense, a dominant run game, and situational passing.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Dexo posted:

He didn't throw over 30 times per game under harbs tho(28.6) :v:

Right, but my point is that there are games he did. There were games where they threw 40 times. 40! At Stanford!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cash Monet posted:

Right, but my point is that there are games he did. There were games where they threw 40 times. 40! At Stanford!

Yeah, because unlike at Michigan his defense and running game that year wasn't completely dominant, so he had to pass in some of those games to have a chance at winning.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/PFFNFLPod/status/1778083322393931864

I know people don't like PFF but this is a pretty good explainer of why media/teams can move on players after the season is over.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm at 25k words right now for my top 100 and I still have 20 prospects left to write about

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Dexo posted:

Yeah, because unlike at Michigan his defense and running game that year wasn't completely dominant, so he had to pass in some of those games to have a chance at winning.

Fair. I just think that Harbaugh is open to leaning into the QB during a season.

Solak did a break down on Jayden Daniels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mejUOwAEr0

I think he could have a few good years but I don't how you look him and see a long term solution at QB. We'll see.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Some crazy takes, for me, in the Beast. Bo Nix over Penix. Jonathan Brooks and Blake Corum as the top two RBs (that one is absolutely insane to me). Graham Barton over JPJ at center (I haven't bothered to watch center film but I know that's surely a hot take). Latu third best edge rusher (low), with Marshawn Kneeland from Western Michigan at fifth (no way he should be that high). Terrion Arnold over Quinyon Mitchell (maybe not a massive hot take but still, not something I agree with). Junior Colson LB1.

He seems to really put a lot of weight in two things that I don't think matter all that much: team success (several Michigan guys higher than I would expect) and having received no injuries. As long as medicals clear I look at injuries more as poor luck than anything else, unless I see something in the tape that seems to suggest their play is problematic in those terms.

That being said, I don't mind some hot takes of they truly believe it, even if I personally think they are wrong. Still a fun thing to browse through

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Barton is a road grader and nasty inside guard with a ton of strength playing at tackle the last few years. JPJ is pretty raw. Either way you should probably watch film before you judge a ranking.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm not exactly a draft nerd, but Graham Barton over JPJ isn't that crazy. He can play any position on the line and he's ridiculously athletic. That versatility is really valuable for certain teams (... like the Packers) who put a premium on OL being position-agnostic if needed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I think JPJ also can play any position along the line tbf.

But honestly I don't know poo poo about how to judge and grade IOL prospects.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

Barton is a road grader and nasty inside guard with a ton of strength playing at tackle the last few years. JPJ is pretty raw. Either way you should probably watch film before you judge a ranking.

I'm not judging whether it's right or wrong per se, just saying that it's a bit of a hot take simply based on what I've seen in the media where JPJ has tons of supporters. But you're right, and maybe I will start getting into IOL although it's not my favorite position to grade.

By the way, if anyone wants the Beast and doesn't have The Athletic I could probably put it up on google drive for y'all. Could also just post some sections if anyone wants to see about a specific player or positional rankings.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Play posted:

I'm not judging whether it's right or wrong per se, just saying that it's a bit of a hot take simply based on what I've seen in the media where JPJ has tons of supporters. But you're right, and maybe I will start getting into IOL although it's not my favorite position to grade.

By the way, if anyone wants the Beast and doesn't have The Athletic I could probably put it up on google drive for y'all. Could also just post some sections if anyone wants to see about a specific player or positional rankings.

I think JPJ's showing at the Senior Bowl, specifically the big highlights that made the rounds on Twitter, is why the media suddenly got super hot on him and quite frankly that's the sort of prospect that scares me.

As far as the Vikings go with trading up, they've put so much work into the QBs that I'm not super worried about them trading up for a guy. If they do then I trust that they have all the data they need to grade him that highly.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Virginia, Washington worked mostly out of the slot in head coach Tony Elliott’s offensive scheme (87.9 percent of his snaps came at
inside receiver). His receiving production improved each of his four seasons at Northwestern, but he exploded in his one season for the Cavaliers, setting a new ACC
record with 110 catches and leading the FBS with 10 games of 100-plus yards. Washington has extraordinary quickness and gets up to top speed in a hurry to
immediately put cornerbacks in conflict (Malik Nabers and Rome Odunze are the only players in this draft class who had more catches of 20-plus yards in 2023). He is
a playmaker at the catch point (miniscule 2.5 percent drop rate in his career), although his catch radius is average, and he needs to prove that he can handle a larger
route-running menu. Overall, Washington is undersized and needs to continue refining his route steps, but his explosive movements, rugged toughness and catchpoint skills will make him a factor in the slot for an NFL offense. He also has the skill set to immediately contribute in the return game.

My Malik Washington agenda continues.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what's the word on javon baker & issac guerendo? i've been told they're quite underrated.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Dexo posted:

I'm with you on Verse. I think he's good, but like 2nd round good. Latu was so dominant that I think you happily take the chance on him. Without the injury history he's about as blue chip as you get at DE. With the injury history, I think you still take him early to mid first because he's that good. DE1 and it's not even close for me.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I'm with you on Verse. I think he's good, but like 2nd round good. Latu was so dominant that I think you happily take the chance on him. Without the injury history he's about as blue chip as you get at DE. With the injury history, I think you still take him early to mid first because he's that good. DE1 and it's not even close for me.

Nah man, not taking a dude with neck fusion surgery, in the top 15, or me personally not in the first round, after that sure yeah. But Just me personally if I were a GM(I'd be bad and fired probably) I stay away from dudes with neck and spine injuries. DL's take too many head hits.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't think Latu is exceptionally good even before the neck injuries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

imo both these guys would be second round at best most years. It's just an extremely lovely year all along the defensive line, for my money. A bad year to have big needs at edge or interior.

Byron Murphy is literally the only guy I think is clear first round quality between both edge and interior. I like Dallas Turner and think he has a lot of potential, but there's a lot of projection with him. Latu is decent but the neck injury as has been said is really tough. If there's a single injury I care most about it's neck and spine, followed I suppose by foot and very persistent soft tissue injuries.

abelwingnut posted:

what's the word on javon baker & issac guerendo? i've been told they're quite underrated.

For my part, not a big Isaac Guerendo fan. I mean the speed is intriguing, his entire combine was absolutely insane, but everything else is chock full of red flags. Tape not that impressive, usage and stats not that impressive, vision not that impressive., injured a lot. Haven't even looked at Javon Baker but I'll post Brugler's take on them both because why not.

Guerendo:

Baker: