Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Fishstick posted:

Simply bring a pubbie that immediately 380's the spawn location so all the gates are destroyed in the first 20 seconds, that spices it up

I uh called down my auto cannon in between the gates and I didn’t grab it in time. So when the gates went to close they shattered like glass.

Strong pod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tekopo posted:

But the jetpack allows you to jump over chargers, according to the video in-game. Finally, a way to dodge chargers.

If you jump and land on the charger's back with the jetpack, it should make an 8 bit death blip and despawn into a warbond medal.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I had one pubbie insist that one of the front gates should be open, the other closed. Is there a reason for this, other than being able to shoot out on one side and not the other? Just felt like conceding the first line earlier than necessary.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have never had a defense map where the robots break through. I always end up breaking the first gate with a stratagem but the bots are never able to get through all the EATs and sentries and poo poo

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tried that mission yesterday and we just spammed emp mortars and the bots couldn't move away from the gate before we got them.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

jokes posted:

I have never had a defense map where the robots break through. I always end up breaking the first gate with a stratagem but the bots are never able to get through all the EATs and sentries and poo poo

In 2/2 of my level 5 runs, the first two gates got busted down. In the second run though, there was about a minute or two left and two of the dropships landed in the courtyard. I'm wondering if the mission has some kind of logic that ignores the gates, but once the first bots have breached the courtyard, it advances the drops to the courtyard instead of the outskirts.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I had one where they got to the last gate and we sat on the guns waiting for them to break through like Helms Deep or some poo poo.

edit: I also had one where they dropped a tank in the second area despite no bots having got in there yet, after dropping regular bots in the first area.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's very polite of the bots to air-drop most of their forces on the right side of the gates

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

My first go at the new defense maps I had them break through, but it was the variant that only had two gates before the generators, or maybe everyone playing was new and we where holding in the back? Either way once they broke through drop ships started dropping at the generators but at that point we where firing the last missle and basically already won.

I like the variant with two front gates and two more behind. Lots of good vantage points and pre placed MG enplacements, and lots of opportunities to mortar ourselves trying to peak over the very front gates.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its meant for clearing trash. For those medium armored bugs you need to aim at weak points (such as shooting a hive guard until it hunkers down then flank it), use explosives such as your grenades, use a Medium AP Primary, or let your team mates deal with them.

There’s so many other strategems that can quickly clear everything below a charger (some kill chargers too, just not quickly). Regular machine gun, flamethrower, arc thrower, grenade launcher, orbitals, eagles.

Why on earth would I take the stalwart which makes me swap weapons to deal with the numerous hive guards and brood commanders and does nothing against bile spewers or chargers or bile titans?

It handles well, can reload on the move, and shoots forever before it runs out of ammo but none of that matters because it doesn’t kill the bugs!

I want to like it but it’s bad when compared to the stuff I could run instead. And yes, I ran it with the dominator and that kinda sucks too because now I have 3 brood commanders charging me and I’ve got to cede a lot of ground to kill them, while hunters circle me and the situation generally gets out of hand.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hwurmp posted:

It's very polite of the bots to air-drop most of their forces on the right side of the gates

sometimes they will drop a tank on the landing pad right beside the generators. the spawns and pathing on that map have some issues

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dren posted:

There’s so many other strategems that can quickly clear everything below a charger (some kill chargers too, just not quickly). Regular machine gun, flamethrower, arc thrower, grenade launcher, orbitals, eagles.

Why on earth would I take the stalwart which makes me swap weapons to deal with the numerous hive guards and brood commanders and does nothing against bile spewers or chargers or bile titans?

It handles well, can reload on the move, and shoots forever before it runs out of ammo but none of that matters because it doesn’t kill the bugs!

I want to like it but it’s bad when compared to the stuff I could run instead. And yes, I ran it with the dominator and that kinda sucks too because now I have 3 brood commanders charging me and I’ve got to cede a lot of ground to kill them, while hunters circle me and the situation generally gets out of hand.

stalwart should be a primary. cut some of its ammo or whatever to balance it. as it is the mobility just does not make up for the lack of punch compared to the MG

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

sometimes they will drop a tank on the landing pad right beside the generators. the spawns and pathing on that map have some issues

You can also see the hitboxes/killzone/no-drop zone or some poo poo around some of the rocks, which is odd.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Stalwart was a primary in OG Helldivers, and it feels like a bubble weapon here (i.e. a little better than a primary but not as good as a support)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Give me ol' painless. Minigun belt fed from a required backpack, absurd ROF, and bottomless ammo reserves.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It's really astonishing how terrible the Railgun is right now, after having to watch a pubbie using it for a few minutes after having run out of respawns. Seemed like most of the shotgun primaries/dominator/scorcher/sickle would all have done a much better job than what I was seeing

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

The painful thing is that they nerfed it and then fixed the reason it was nerfed a different way (giving you more ways to kill chargers). I wish they'd roll it back.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

https://x.com/JoinDeepRock/status/1778063889273360541

WE DON'T KNOW EITHER

:lol:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:allears:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Fishstick posted:

Simply bring a pubbie that immediately 380's the spawn location so all the gates are destroyed in the first 20 seconds, that spices it up

Ugh, I hate it when that happens. The 380s are amazing for blowing up a base/objective without actually needing to engage anything and absolutely awful at defending a point because - unless you have the passive that increases throw distance and actually know how to toss strats far - you will likely destroy the defenders/things you are trying to defend instead.

Just use the Eagle instead. Or better yet - mines! Mines actually really shine at base defense because you can actually have them deploy in an area where you and your teammates won't be traveling through (for once)!

Piell posted:

It's really astonishing how terrible the Railgun is right now, after having to watch a pubbie using it for a few minutes after having run out of respawns. Seemed like most of the shotgun primaries/dominator/scorcher/sickle would all have done a much better job than what I was seeing

It was really astonishing just how stupid good it was before the nerfs, it was literally the be-all end-all weapon that did pretty much everything with absolutely zero downsides. It worked against both bots and bugs alike and trivialized a lot of content. People were also getting really toxic about it to the point where they refused to ready up and some shitlords were actually kicking people for not taking Railgun+Shield Gen.

It needed to be nerfed into the ground so that the rest of the roster could flourish. And even then, it is still pretty useful - if you can aim, it can still one-shot Hulks in Unsafe mode and is terrific at taking out Devastators (especially Rocket Devs who, even after the nerf to their explosive damage, can still one-shot you with a suspiciously well-aimed rocket to the face). It's just no longer the first-order-optimal weapon that it was, and that's a good thing.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Can the railgun take down dropships with an engine shot?

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
The Stalwart is fantastic, assuming you find one to carry around as a back warmer while you wait for the EAT cooldown

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

LuiCypher posted:

Ugh, I hate it when that happens. The 380s are amazing for blowing up a base/objective without actually needing to engage anything and absolutely awful at defending a point because - unless you have the passive that increases throw distance and actually know how to toss strats far - you will likely destroy the defenders/things you are trying to defend instead.

I've taken to deploying a 380 when an objective has just gone to poo poo and its time to leave and come back.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ballbot5000 posted:

The Stalwart is fantastic, assuming you find one to carry around as a back warmer while you wait for the EAT cooldown

Stalwart with a supply pack against bugs is a very fun time if you bring dedicated anti-titan/anti-charger stratagems

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

LuiCypher posted:

in Unsafe mode ..

A problem is that there are still massive numbers of people that don't know that unsafe mode is a thing. That menu is never really explained in the game AFAIK, most people don't know it exists.

It really really needs to make you open that in the tutorial

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Dren posted:

I used the Stalwart once instead of the Laser Dog and had the realization that they both filled the exact same role and cleared the exact same large amounts of trash.

The only difference is the stalwart occupied all my attention, had to be reloaded, ran out of ammo, missed shots, while the laser dog just did everything and I paid no attention to it.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

BitBasher posted:

A problem is that there are still massive numbers of people that don't know that unsafe mode is a thing. That menu is never really explained in the game AFAIK, most people don't know it exists.

There's a loading tip telling you that there are modes on weapons you can change, and to hold 'reload' to access it, but it's not immediately obvious, no.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The laser dog is boring though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

BitBasher posted:

Speaking of, turn your stalwarts to 1150 if you aren't doing so already.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The laser dog also thirsts for the flesh of others more, and generally doesn't prioritize hunters.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BitBasher posted:

With how many fuckin "TOP 10 THINGS TO MAKE YOU A BETTER HELLDIVER" tik toks and FB reels I get barraged with on the daily it's their fault for never learning how to unlock their railguns true potential at this point.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

LuiCypher posted:

It was really astonishing just how stupid good it was before the nerfs, it was literally the be-all end-all weapon that did pretty much everything with absolutely zero downsides. It worked against both bots and bugs alike and trivialized a lot of content. People were also getting really toxic about it to the point where they refused to ready up and some shitlords were actually kicking people for not taking Railgun+Shield Gen.

It needed to be nerfed into the ground so that the rest of the roster could flourish. And even then, it is still pretty useful - if you can aim, it can still one-shot Hulks in Unsafe mode and is terrific at taking out Devastators (especially Rocket Devs who, even after the nerf to their explosive damage, can still one-shot you with a suspiciously well-aimed rocket to the face). It's just no longer the first-order-optimal weapon that it was, and that's a good thing.

How often have you used it since the nerf because this was literally the first time I've seen anyone use it in weeks, it's quite bad now because there isn't really a niche for it. Its terrible at killing normal enemies and heavy bugs, and against middling enemies is pretty medicore, eyeshotting hulks is basically the only good thing it has and that's a pretty limited thing when you can do the same thing with the quasar which can also shoot down bot drops and oneshot chargers

Piell fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 10, 2024

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I didn't really use it in the first place because i prefer big booms, but if I pick one up it still fucks. It just no longer fucks better than the dedicated anti tank stuff.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Honestly remove the deflection from shield devastator shields and I might try it. Thats the one that feels the worst against bots to me, because I'm pretty sure beforehand I was able to hit the edge of the shield while still hitting the head, now its like the AMR.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 10, 2024

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Piell posted:

How often have you used it since the nerf because this was literally the first time I've seen anyone use it in weeks, it's quite bad now because there isn't really a niche for it. Its terrible at killing normal enemies and heavy bugs, and against middling enemies is pretty medicore, eyeshotting hulks is basically the only good thing it has and that's a pretty limited thing when you can do the same thing with the quasar which can also shoot down bot drops and oneshot chargers

It's still good lol. It excels in mid-range engagements with bots as it's an extremely efficient killer of devastators and hulks. It's outshone by the AMR at long range and by the autocannon in general, but doesn't take a backpack slot. It's just a solid all-around pick

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I expect more out of a single-shot charge up weapon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Owlbear Camus posted:

I expect more out of a single-shot charge up weapon.

The railgun competing against the quasar is kinda funny because a railgun will maybe harm most things, whereas a quasar will take out a dropship, a tank, whatever. Also the quasar is infinite ammo (lol)

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Gorelab posted:

The laser dog also thirsts for the flesh of others more, and generally doesn't prioritize hunters.

Speaking of, last night I was getting odd behavior out of my laser dog.

It would just... Stop doing anything. It wouldn't even aim at things and not fire, it just floated there. Dropping the backpack, waiting for it to dock with the backpack on the ground then picking it up again got it working again.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 10, 2024

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Tekopo posted:

Tried that mission yesterday and we just spammed emp mortars and the bots couldn't move away from the gate before we got them.

If you do it right and get lucky, you reseal the door with tank and Hulk carcasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

johnny park posted:

It's still good lol. It excels in mid-range engagements with bots as it's an extremely efficient killer of devastators and hulks. It's outshone by the AMR at long range and by the autocannon in general, but doesn't take a backpack slot. It's just a solid all-around pick

How often do you use the railgun, because this recent game was literally the first time I've seen it in weeks