Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Now I don't smoke but I do miss looking cool.

Try fancy sunglasses or open-carry maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I pity that woman's undercarriage, jesus

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I flew from Boston to Paris in 1992 smoking and drinking free drinks in the back of the plane as a poor young person. It was amazing. I sat next to a reporter from Le Monde and we drank and smoked and shot the poo poo the whole flight, big party in the back, it was amazing.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, one of the reasons wood paneling was so popular is because you wouldn't notice the discoloration.

Fun fact: Play-doh was originally invented as a cleaning product to remove smoke stains from wallpaper without damaging the pattern.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Midnight Voyager posted:

I pity that woman's undercarriage, Jesus

The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

If they are ads, I feel like "imagine you are dating a hot young Russian and have to convince your college-age daughters it's cool" is a much more appealing scenario to present then "imagine you're dating a hot girl, then she finds out you used an AI for first contact and dumps you". One of them says "use this and you'll have the kind of problems you're happy to have", other one says "use this and you'll have a potential disaster waiting for you forever".

The kind of guys who this would work on would definitely think "rip to that guy but I'm built different. I'll never get caught after I land my big tiddy goth Korean girlfriend."
Getting the benefits but avoiding the landmine.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

I've been taking care of my parents for a couple years after Some poo poo (tm) and am on the cusp of fully moving out. Dad is three packs a day at 77, mom maybe half of one at 74. It suUUUUUUCKS because they think it's nbd and that they're too old to change. It's in everything I own, though it helps to keep my clothes in the basement. Fortunately I've got them doing it in front of open windows now but uuugh. Nothing I can say convinces them and I just know I'm getting Judgement from people.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mushmouth posted:

I've been taking care of my parents for a couple years after Some poo poo (tm) and am on the cusp of fully moving out. Dad is three packs a day at 77, mom maybe half of one at 74. It suUUUUUUCKS because they think it's nbd and that they're too old to change. It's in everything I own, though it helps to keep my clothes in the basement. Fortunately I've got them doing it in front of open windows now but uuugh. Nothing I can say convinces them and I just know I'm getting Judgement from people.

Jeepers. Nothing you can do at this point.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I grew up with smokers and I don't know how I survived because of how sick the smoke makes me nowadays.

I also just had a friend ask me to bring her back the maximum allowed amount of cigarettes from Mexico, I declined not only out of moral obligation but because I've never tried them, never bought them, and never plan to.

My dad sending me to the store to get him packs when I was 6 doesn't count. Especially after he grounded me for spending the leftover penny on a bellybutton candy. gently caress you, dad.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Mushmouth posted:

This sounds bad but you should introduce them to the vape scene. Smells less and is cheaper. Go to your local vape store and find their discount bin and come home with a rando variety. Or ask the employee what's good. Instead of asking them to stop be all "hey check this out! it's 20bux and equal to 10 packs!"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Desert Bus posted:

This sounds bad but you should introduce them to the vape scene. Smells less and is cheaper. Go to your local vape store and find their discount bin and come home with a rando variety. Or ask the employee what's good. Instead of asking them to stop be all "hey check this out! it's 20bux and equal to 10 packs!"

I tried this angle with my mother and was told the smoker equivalent of "It hits different".

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I reeked of cigarettes my whole life bc my mom was a smoker, it got so bad that in high school a teacher grabbed me and shook me yelling at me not to smoke and I had to yell IT'S MY MOTHER to get her to stop shaking me. Oh, the 90s.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Neito posted:

I tried this angle with my mother and was told the smoker equivalent of "It hits different".

It does hit different, it's not the same. But if the person wants to quit smoking, it's a bridge.

If they don't want to quit, vaping sucks in comparison.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Parents were both smokers, Mom quit when I was young and Dad restricts himself to the back yard and the garage. I've never smoked but sometimes I'll pass by a smoker and the smell reminds me of late night car rides, dad smoking in the front seat, me reading a book in the back. I wish the smell didn't make me feel so nostalgic.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Pnurtis is a chonker :stare:

Remember how everyone in these stories is fatter than you imagine? That includes the babies, unfortunately.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Parents were both smokers, Mom quit when I was young and Dad restricts himself to the back yard and the garage. I've never smoked but sometimes I'll pass by a smoker and the smell reminds me of late night car rides, dad smoking in the front seat, me reading a book in the back. I wish the smell didn't make me feel so nostalgic.

I can still see Grandad's cigarette smoke swirling lazily up from the ashtray in the long morning light.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

Neito posted:

Oh, I've tried. Ironically vaping makes dad cough a lot (though stuff like sugar soda has done that since before he started with cigarettes, buuut). Kinda wish I could get dad to go back to pipes like when I was little. It was infrequent enough back then and not aaaas bad as the cheapo menthols. Sort of convinced them to have some air purifiers but mom'll only buy used ones from the thrift store and they all use different filters you can't get :V Until next month I'm just trying to point fans out of the guest room and always always having the window open while I bathe things in a cumulonimbus of Ozium.
Stubborn old people are their own caliber of infuriating especially when they have somehow managed to skirt the majority of the consequences. Still gonna hang out with them while I can but I'd rather not sacrifice being able to be in an enclosed space with other people until then.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Tarkus posted:

Once in a while, when a host comes up to seat us at a restaurant, my brain still expects the words 'smoking or non?"

Yeah, I always prepare to say "Table for X, non" when the 'non' hasn't been needed for a quarter century. I do remember going out to eat at a restaurant in NYC in the 90s just after they implemented the restaurant smoke ban. I said 'table for four, non-smoking' and the waiter went on a spiel about 'well we don't have a smoking section anymore, it's the law now, but if you want to smoke we could seat you at the bar since smoking is still allowed in bars' - my dude, I *asked* for the non-smoking section, you don't have to apologize for having more of what I want.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

YggiDee posted:

I wish the smell didn't make me feel so nostalgic.

This is kind of why I brought it up. I'll get a whiff walking by a bar or hotel, and immediately remember the fun outings my family did when I was a kid. You'd always smell it when you went to restaurants, bowling alleys, or vacations. Anywhere in public, honestly.

Memories.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I've always felt that in order to truly get rid of smoking they should have a set birth date, say Jan 1 2006, and anyone born before that cannot buy cigarettes. That way, people who are smoking can continue and people who aren't of age can never walk into a store and buy smokes. I mean the idea is fraught with some problems but, still...

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Tarkus posted:

I've always felt that in order to truly get rid of smoking they should have a set birth date, say Jan 1 2006, and anyone born before that cannot buy cigarettes. That way, people who are smoking can continue and people who aren't of age can never walk into a store and buy smokes. I mean the idea is fraught with some problems but, still...

That's basically what they did to raise the smoking age to 21. Anyone who was 18 on whatever day the law went into effect could buy cigs, but the age raised on a 1:1 basis by the day. So you had to be 18 years and a day the second day of the law, etc.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Every year they should raise the minimum age you can buy cigarettes by one year.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Desert Bus posted:

Every year they should raise the minimum age you can buy cigarettes by one year.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know how anyone can afford to smoke cigarettes.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

It depends on the state, at least in the US. A pack is $13 bucks here in MA, but like $5 in NH.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

lol even way back in the early 90's I used to go to Indian Reservations, or Virginia, for cheap smokes.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I'm in Indiana and a good brand is like 10bux a pack but you can go down to like 3bux if you're ok with smoking something similar to cardboard.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I've been a chainsmoker since I was 24. I'm not particularly proud of it (I've tried quitting numerous times) and I have complete understanding for some people who are very sensitive to it. I live alone so while I do usually smoke indoors, when I have guests over I always offer to go outside for my cigarette. At work I avoid sitting in the landscape office because I'm well aware some people will even find the residual smell of my smoke break off-putting. I've also never had a problem with many public spaces having become smoke-free.

I will say this however: there is a small subsection of people who do treat smokers like some people treated fat people 25 years ago. It's like they finally found a socially acceptable target to offload all their latent social anger onto. This rangers from strangers conspicuously fake-coughing when passing me by (while I'm a designated zone for smokers, no less) or random folk asking me if I'm aware smoking is bad for my health to some clearly convinced my nicotine addiction is, if not a huge moral failure, something I'm intentionally doing to upset others.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Unlike fat people having trouble with their own health, smoking as a habit is detrimental to the health of everyone around a smoker.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
People are coughing when I expose them to secondhand smoke, but I'm pretty sure they're just doing it to make me feel bad.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I will say this however: there is a small subsection of people who do treat smokers like some people treated fat people 25 years ago. It's like they finally found a socially acceptable target to offload all their latent social anger onto. This rangers from strangers conspicuously fake-coughing when passing me by (while I'm a designated zone for smokers, no less) or random folk asking me if I'm aware smoking is bad for my health to some clearly convinced my nicotine addiction is, if not a huge moral failure, something I'm intentionally doing to upset others.

It's the secondhand smoke thing. Fat people aren't going to make others around them fat except by encouraging them to also run out to get Krispy Kreme from the aroma.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Neito posted:

It depends on the state, at least in the US. A pack is $13 bucks here in MA, but like $5 in NH.
Is it partly because NH doesn't have professional sports teams but MA does?

I've never lived in either state, but every single time a city I've lived in has needed to raise money for a new sports stadium, they've used a "sin tax" on alcohol and smoking to defray the cost. "No, no, we're raising your taxes to give away hundreds of millions of dollars to a wealthy billionaire, because you personally can just not buy cigarettes/beer/etc!"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

MagusofStars posted:

Is it partly because NH doesn't have professional sports teams but MA does?

I've never lived in either state, but every single time a city I've lived in has needed to raise money for a new sports stadium, they've used a "sin tax" on alcohol and smoking to defray the cost. "No, no, we're raising your taxes to give away hundreds of millions of dollars to a wealthy billionaire, because you personally can just not buy cigarettes/beer/etc!"

New Hampshire thinks that taxes are theft and once had a town get overrun by bears because none of the libertarians there wanted to pay for trash pickup.

I.e. it's a philosophical difference between the two states (Strong centralized government vs. gently caress-you conservatism), rather than strictly an economic difference.

Also, New Hampshire hates Massachusetts, and vice versa.

Edit: Also, for all it's flaws, MA has a huge economy for it's size and hasn't done massive outlays for our stadiums. Foxboro technically owns Gillette and gets a cut of ticket revenues, Fleet Center TD Banknorth Garden is like 30 years old at this point and I think jointly owned by the Celts and the Bruins and has definitely been paid off by now, and Fenway is one of the most profitable ball parks in the nation and has definitely paid for itself over the last 112 years, even with the Monster seats and some of the expansions.

A lot of that "We'll give you $Texas and a bunch of tax breaks for a stadium" stuff is cities that don't have huge economies or tourism, both of which Boston and to an extent greater Boston have in spades.

Neito fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 10, 2024

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

Magnetic North posted:

It's the secondhand smoke thing. Fat people aren't going to make others around them fat except by encouraging them to also run out to get Krispy Kreme from the aroma.

25 years since we had to put up with this openly, huh.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
My dad had his first stroke roughly 15 years ago. Incredibly, he basically suffered no permanent problems. Kept smoking (and drinking) and probably managed to get through 3-5 further mini strokes with no real harm before suffering a massive stroke a year and a half ago that left him bedridden for months and has resulted in permanent partial paralysis of his primary side. Great job, dad! Hope the smokes were worth becoming a burden on your supposedly beloved wife. Hope you weren't planning on playing with any grandkids, cuz now you're too broken to do it.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

NH has some of the lowest cigarette prices in the US outside of tobacco country and there is a small army of revenue staffers in neighboring states who spend their entire careers cracking down on “entrepreneurs” trying to take advantage of that difference.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are also sometimes elements that are out of control for fat people - genetics, no access to healthier lifestyles, etc.

There's not as much defense for smoking or alcohol addiction.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, but think of all the kids who got asthma because their parents were fat!

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I've been a chainsmoker since I was 24. I'm not particularly proud of it (I've tried quitting numerous times) and I have complete understanding for some people who are very sensitive to it. I live alone so while I do usually smoke indoors, when I have guests over I always offer to go outside for my cigarette. At work I avoid sitting in the landscape office because I'm well aware some people will even find the residual smell of my smoke break off-putting. I've also never had a problem with many public spaces having become smoke-free.

I'm extremely sensitive to tobacco smoke. Triggers migraines, breathing spasms, and I break out in hives. I'm not fake-coughing, it makes my chest hurt. Your being in a designated smoking area doesn't actually contain the smoke within that area - it gets out and gets in my lungs. If you choose to smoke, do so, but it does have an effect on the people around you.

That said, quitting is really, really hard. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances out there. I hope you're able to quit at some point - your wallet and your health will thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And then there were the days where you'd walk into a restaurant and they'd ask "smoking or non-smoking?" and the difference was literally one side of the building or the other. The smoke was everywhere regardless.

I recently visited NY for the first time in 25 years with my extended family. We all grew up there and so part of it we went to places we used to go growing up. One of which was a diner on Long Island that when I left in the late '90s had two complete HVAC systems with HEPA filters on one of them, and a separate glass walled 'smoking section' from the outside it looked like frosted glass. But the 'smoking/non' really did work there. Now in the 2020s the glass room is there but it's just a separate dining room.

Moving from smoking NY to non-smoking Colorado in the late 90s was a huge change. My boss in CO explained that it was only a few years ago that they stopped letting you smoke in the office building and many conference rooms still had ash trays.