Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/cosmic_marvel/status/1778017537608819104

What? loving what?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Pretty great episode. The production behind this short revival really gave it their all, making those 10 episodes count. Fake-edit: Oh, I see that a second and third season are already in development.

Skios posted:

"Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader..."

"Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists."

I'm sure the writers had fun with this one. Probably the best episode of the new series so far.

That was an A+ zinger.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

So uh, what the hell was that giant three headed Sentinel that was dropping the other Sentinels? Something seen before? Definitely a power upgrade for the Sentinels.

New for the animated universe yeah but it's been in the comics, Loki made it there though I think as the finale for a big crossover event and Spider-Man destroyed it with his Captain Universe powers which he had very conveniently at the time. Here it's probably just like "oh yeah they made an even bigger Sentinel that drops Sentinels" and they've used it to do the Genosha genocide storyline, I think in the comics that was just a gigantic fleet of Sentinels that did it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
At this point UN Lady not being Mystique would be the twist, right?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Senerio posted:

I believe so. She had a pretty pointed reaction to Rogue's decision that actual Val probably wouldn't care about.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I started watching the first episode of X-Men '97 with the expectation that it was going to be some joke show, silly camp, but instead it sits aside Batman TAS among some of the best comic book adaptions ever made. Jesus christ.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 10, 2024

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

So uh, what the hell was that giant three headed Sentinel that was dropping the other Sentinels? Something seen before? Definitely a power upgrade for the Sentinels.

You see it in the New X-Men briefly its part of the storyline with Cassandra Nova. Also now Magneto is dead I wonder if Emma Frost will be the new headmaster like in that one?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm not certain that Magneto is dead. It's possible he could have pushed that 'bubble' deep enough downwards to avoid the blast. He's pretty fuckin powerful. Gambit though is 99% likely dead. Since Cable showed up and I think something happened in an earlier episode to indicate there could be time travel poo poo going on, so who knows what the end result will be.

Regardless, fuckin good poo poo.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my memory of comic Cable wasn't that he returned multiple times to change history. He was always body-sliding back, but wasn't it mainly just going back to the same core 616 timeline to fight against Apocalypse's rise?

Outright changing history multiple times was more Bishop's role, and that was more his animated counterparts role. They can obviously have Cable do that too here, but that didn't seem like his thing really in the comics.

Though FWIW, the Watcher being seen would possibly point to him viewing a branch that will later be pruned after someone does time travel.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm not certain that Magneto is dead. It's possible he could have pushed that 'bubble' deep enough downwards to avoid the blast. He's pretty fuckin powerful. Gambit though is 99% likely dead. Since Cable showed up and I think something happened in an earlier episode to indicate there could be time travel poo poo going on, so who knows what the end result will be.

Regardless, fuckin good poo poo.

Building on that, I had a crazy thought which I could see them doing:

With loads of big name characters dead, I could see Cable and others trying to do a time reset thingy, and result in some multiverse shenanigans. What if the next season takes place as a reboot of X-Men Evolution, and then the season after in Wolverine and the Xmen. Just work there way through the various animated iterations of X-men and expanding those characters.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

thrawn527 posted:

Given Cable's appearance and the confirmation that he's Nathan Summers, paired with the bright green effects that that Super-Sentinel used, I'm guessing it's a Sentinel from the future, infected with the techno-virus that Cable was sent to the future to be cured of, with Cable's brief appearance being his attempt to stop it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wow holy poo poo, I expected this series to be mostly be fan service and high-calorie filler and to be satisfied with it
Did not expect them to really just, go whole-rear end on it, halfway through the season

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Wow, that was insane. I did not expect the nostalgia-bait X-Men show to go this hard.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Magneto really should have told Leech, "I am Magneto! Welcome to die!"

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm binging the original animated X-Men series and it's so loving good. Also watching the live action movies at night. They mean a lot more now that I'm learning their animated and comic backstories.
Mutants rule

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

swickles posted:

Building on that, I had a crazy thought which I could see them doing:
With loads of big name characters dead, I could see Cable and others trying to do a time reset thingy, and result in some multiverse shenanigans.

I assume this is absolutely what will happen. Probably in the finale.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
That episode was loving fantastic. Absolutely blew me away, I was 10 again.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Skios posted:

Given Cable's appearance and the confirmation that he's Nathan Summers, paired with the bright green effects that that Super-Sentinel used, I'm guessing it's a Sentinel from the future, infected with the techno-virus that Cable was sent to the future to be cured of, with Cable's brief appearance being his attempt to stop it.

That would make a lot of sense.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Senerio posted:

Funny enough the two of them had a good working relationship in the comics.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Teek posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my memory of comic Cable wasn't that he returned multiple times to change history. He was always body-sliding back, but wasn't it mainly just going back to the same core 616 timeline to fight against Apocalypse's rise?

Outright changing history multiple times was more Bishop's role, and that was more his animated counterparts role. They can obviously have Cable do that too here, but that didn't seem like his thing really in the comics.

Though FWIW, the Watcher being seen would possibly point to him viewing a branch that will later be pruned after someone does time travel.

Cable from the original show was generally going back in time to stop someone else loving with time. Kind of like Kyle Reese, but without having to bang anybody. Sometimes he was trying to fight Apocalypse but there was one two-parter where it brought him into conflict with Bishop.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
That was a pretty loving good episode of x-men

Even money says what ever multiverse shenanigans they get up to puts mutants in the main MCU time line

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Something I'm expecting, possibly for the next season is that Xorn is going to show up and they're going to do the thing where they use the source material as a red herring curveball where it's not Magneto under the helmet in this version. Kind of like how the movie Logan handled the reveal of who killed the X-Men.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Did we ever find out what the X-Men '97 creator Beau DeMayo did to get fired from the show? Because if it was something bad, then yeah, stay gone. But if it was just "creative differences", or something like that, they should probably get him back. Because he seems to be good at his job. (From what I understand, he's already written the first two seasoons.)

edit:
https://x.com/BeauDemayo/status/1778000836452626432

Like, he seems like he's good at this. But again, I don't know why he was fired.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 10, 2024

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Scuttlebutt seems to be that he was being a creep to his staff. But there's never been anything official, did not seem to be related to the actual show itself.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
loving wow. I have weirdo comments, but I need to watch a second time.

I think X-Men 97 just became a Game of Thrones level prestige television series. That was some Red Wedding meets 9/11 poo poo and I was not expecting while pleasantly baked on my day off.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

My jaw hit the floor with this episode. Truly compelling, and heart breaking. Probably my favorite Marvel related thing in a long time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jesus christ, show us a HUGE amount of recognizable characters on screen and then KILLING ALMOST ALL OF THEM HOLY poo poo

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

everydayfalls posted:

That was a pretty loving good episode of x-men

Even money says what ever multiverse shenanigans they get up to puts mutants in the main MCU time line

No! More Mutants!

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Well here's a thing that will get me to post.

HOLY poo poo that was goddamn wild

That and the hints of an AoS return this week. Wow.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

BizarroAzrael posted:

No! More Mutants!

possible plot twist: now that she’s de facto Queen of Genosha, Rogue declares war on humanity. Instead of Scarlet Witch or Apocalypse creating a hosed up mutant supremacist empire, Rogue rolls up her sleeves and does it by hand. Also, ladies, if a man ever tells you that you have the power to make a broken man whole, loving run. That’s some Ken telling Barbie he only exists within the light of her gaze poo poo.

It would be a weird left turn if the season ends with a battle between Storm and Chancellor Rogue or whatever

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm so glad I worked remotely today so I could get weepy all by myself. Wow.

That's how you do a big X-Men.

And I'm perplexed at how this thing I assumed would be a throwaway comfort food item for older millennials ended up being the best comics adaptation since Batman TAS.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I finally bit the bullet and got Disney+. I really wanted to rewatch TAS before starting this but, honestly, hearing all the old voices then jumping into the new show right after would probably irritate me. But all the praises from literally everyone I know has persuaded me to try it out.

Like many, I had no faith in this show, seeing it as cheap nostalgia bait. It doesn't help I don't really hold TAS in very high regard. X-Men Evolution was the best X-Men adaptation ever and my favorite comic-based cartoon of all time. But you know, if it ever did come back for that tragically cancelled fifth season and it was allowed this level of "maturity" or "brutality" or whatever you wanna call it, and of course you got the original writers back, I'd be all for it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Teek posted:

Scuttlebutt seems to be that he was being a creep to his staff. But there's never been anything official, did not seem to be related to the actual show itself.

https://ew.com/x-men-97-beau-demayo-firing-marvel-animation-responds-8609643

This doesn't sound like the kind of non answer you would get if he was a sexpest. idk, show is real good and this statement makes it sound like much of that was because of Beau

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
They rope a doped all us geriatric millennials.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 10, 2024

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Great as hell episode. Even more nostalgic than the art style is the frenetic rapid fire storytelling trying to fit 10 pounds of show in a five pound sack.

That feeling that there was some executive standing over the shoulder of the writers telling them to use fewer words, cause animation is expensive.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Gaz-L posted:

Changing the 'other woman' in Scott's psychic affair from the comics to Madelyn is a very clean way to streamline story arcs, even if I'm kind of a Scott/Emma 'shipper

Frost seemed to pick up on what happened when Madeline got the psychic boot and given the way the episodes events I think Emma/Scott was maybe being setup, not supplanted. This episode was absolutely stuffed to the gills with nods to potential directions.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Soonmot posted:

This doesn't sound like the kind of non answer you would get if he was a sexpest. idk, show is real good and this statement makes it sound like much of that was because of Beau

That response is HR speak for "there were problems, and we offered him the chance to resign or be fired, he chose to resign and we called it a mutual parting."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I think it is clear they are starting New X-Men stories and it won't be contained to this episode. The Madelyne/Jean/Scott astral plane scene was similar to an Emma/Scott/Jean scene in New X-Men. Episodes 8-10 are titled Tolerance Is Extinction. New X-Men's first arc was E Is for Extinction and had a version of what we just saw happen on Genosha.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 10, 2024

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, maybe just that he was a "rub people the wrong way" kind of person. Which can mean a lot of things in terms of needing him removed for the good of the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Judging from his Twitter they were probably real shook at all his sexy bear pics.