Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Quasar is the new Railgun. I hate it. It's too versatile in the exact same way that made the Railgun a boring weapon. I'm not saying it needs to be made as worthless as the railgun is now, and I hope they correct that, but it'd be better than it is now. I also don't begrudge it a first pass like this, or frankly the novelty of a new weapon being a smidgen OP. Just don't leave it like this.

In other news, the Spear still sucks poo poo, and Chort(le my balls) is a fun planet.

edit: I think I found a new bug, in that I was messing with HUD settings last night, and now I can't get the game to show me sample count during missions. I had to drop samples and pick them back up and ask people to watch the count change to tell what I was carrying. Which was kind of important as we had less than 5 minutes to extract, 0 tickets, and I was the last one standing with what I thought was the sample beacon with the super rares.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I picked up a railgun twice because I dropped near it and I was on cool down in a lovely situation. Quasar seems to just be the shoulder mounted infinite ammo cooler Daniel in this situation.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
It's funny how people always talk about the super samples and honestly that's the one I almost never need. If someone could just pour say 500 regular samples into my maw I'd appreciate it.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Piell posted:

How often do you use the railgun, because this recent game was literally the first time I've seen it in weeks

I used it yesterday

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's funny how people always talk about the super samples and honestly that's the one I almost never need. If someone could just pour say 500 regular samples into my maw I'd appreciate it.

I've got the opposite, I see so many people talking about how many Rares they have but that's my bottleneck, I've got enough Common and Super Rares to finish my Destroyer out, but I need like 180 more Rares.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I've got the opposite, I see so many people talking about how many Rares they have but that's my bottleneck, I've got enough Common and Super Rares to finish my Destroyer out, but I need like 180 more Rares.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gorelab posted:

I feel like after fighting bots for so long I forgot how much more of a pain getting a big bug nest is compared to the big bot bases which are like... designed for being decent to fight bots in.

To me the major difference coming back to bugs from waging war on bots for a while is that the landscape of fighting bugs at nests is not much different from fighting them anywhere else on the map. With bots, the structures and defenses and countermeasures give fights a different feel than fighting in the surrounding area.

Slyphic posted:

Quasar is the new Railgun. I hate it. It's too versatile in the exact same way that made the Railgun a boring weapon. I'm not saying it needs to be made as worthless as the railgun is now, and I hope they correct that, but it'd be better than it is now. I also don't begrudge it a first pass like this, or frankly the novelty of a new weapon being a smidgen OP. Just don't leave it like this.

Honestly wild to me. It's great but it's not like it's perfect for every situation.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 10, 2024

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Anyone having the issue where you can't be reinforced?

I have had this happen twice in the past day where I die, then my teammates try and call in reinforcements, but my pod never drops in.

We still have reinforcements available, no jammers, etc.

Hell this even happened on the new Rocket Defense mission, where there are absolutely no secondary objectives that would hinder this.

Playing on Steam, on "HARD" difficulty at that, not even on Suicide or something. It's really frustrating, I had to watch my teammates finish up the defense mission ( Luckily successfully ), while hearing "REINFORCING!" and other callouts for trying to call me back in with no success.

Every other strategem was working, and when another diver died, they also couldn't be called back today.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
The railgun is kind of okay if you find it on the ground during a mission and you don't already have a strategem weapon. I mostly use it to blast the bot walkers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Drowning Rabbit posted:

We did have a mission last night where when we shot out of the pods it cut to an inside shot of the ship and we were all stepping out of the pods like someone cancelled it, but the sound was playing of the launching and it cut to the pods falling with the loading screen. When it put us on the planet we only had our strategems available and no strategems for resupply/reinforce so when one of us died we were just screwed. We had to abandon and join something else.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I wonder when we're going to get the recreational vehicle. Seems like that will take a lot of tweaking; being able to just load up and drive between objectives could trivialize encounters.

In the fullness of time maybe they'll give us a gunship of our own. Either like a single-man pod or the little bird version of the pelican's blackhawk to get around. Arial vehicles could unlock a whole new world of unintentional but hilarious fratricide.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VChofV3d0E

photosensitivity warning (no, really)

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I have had this happen twice in the past day where I die, then my teammates try and call in reinforcements, but my pod never drops in.

We still have reinforcements available, no jammers, etc.

Hell this even happened on the new Rocket Defense mission, where there are absolutely no secondary objectives that would hinder this.

Playing on Steam, on "HARD" difficulty at that, not even on Suicide or something. It's really frustrating, I had to watch my teammates finish up the defense mission ( Luckily successfully ), while hearing "REINFORCING!" and other callouts for trying to call me back in with no success.

Every other strategem was working, and when another diver died, they also couldn't be called back today.

This is just a general bug and not related to difficulty or proxikity of enemy anythings. It's been in the game forever and has at least got a lot less prevelant but I definitely saw it happen to one person a couple days ago.

Sometime just one person can't be reinforced, sometimes multiple. Sometimes its the whole team and then when everybody dies you all come back, sometime only two or three come back.

I don't know if this is on their list of known bugs but it is definitely a lot less common than it used to be.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i think that any gun that will potentially kill the user in exchange for doing having worse armor penetration and probably less damage than another gun with infinite ammo and a comparable fire rate is probably objectively pretty poo poo

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hwurmp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VChofV3d0E

photosensitivity warning (no, really)

Good old Maxor. His videos are always quite crazy :allears:.

How is pubbing on difficulty 7? I need purple samples and my friends have taken a break from the game :smith:.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mesadoram posted:

How is pubbing on difficulty 7? I need purple samples and my friends have taken a break from the game :smith:.

drop in on blitz missions at 7 or higher, if the team is playing well super samples will normally be found, if its a shitshow it will likely end without anyone managing ot extract with them. bugs are more reliable than bots in that respect as in general bugs can be managed a bit easier

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

turn off the TV posted:

i think that any gun that will potentially kill the user in exchange for doing having worse armor penetration and probably less damage than another gun with infinite ammo and a comparable fire rate is probably objectively pretty poo poo

If it is exactly what it currently is, but was a primary, it would probably be worth using.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Owlbear Camus posted:

I wonder when we're going to get the recreational vehicle. Seems like that will take a lot of tweaking; being able to just load up and drive between objectives could trivialize encounters.

Especially when I sit in the back firing my laser cannon at the ground behind us for extra propulsion.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

It's fine but there's a goon discord in the OP that has 2-3 groups running almost 24/h a day and even more during prime USTZ

Why pub when you don't have to?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I want a way to call in moral boosting speeches from the Democracy Officer.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Black Noise posted:

I've taken to deploying a 380 when an objective has just gone to poo poo and its time to leave and come back.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

turn off the TV posted:

They only have a 'comparable fire rate' if you are assuming both are firing just one shot. If you're firing repeated shots, railgun has a much better sustained rate of fire than the quasar does with its cooldown.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I want a way to call in moral boosting speeches from the Democracy Officer.

I want a strategem that calls in a pelican with a dozen allied AI SEAF troops to soak bullets and distract bugs. I don't even care if they're awful.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I've been running the AC, Senator, and Sickle with an EAT, orbital and an eagle and have been finding it pretty nice against the bots around difficulty 4-6, is this considered a pretty efficient build for sub level 20 or should I try some other combos?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mederlock posted:

I've been running the AC, Senator, and Sickle with an EAT, orbital and an eagle and have been finding it pretty nice against the bots around difficulty 4-6, is this considered a pretty efficient build for sub level 20 or should I try some other combos?

Everything about this is pretty conventional wisdom good with the exception of the wheelgun over machine pistol, but it has the merit of being cooler. Eagle Airstrike is a real meat and potatoes strategem for just about everything IMO.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The thing about the Quasar is

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mederlock posted:

its basically one of the best loadouts for bots and bugs and is the standard blueprint. Alter it as you like to adjust, like bringing the AC sentry for bugs since it will hammer a breach

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Everything about this is pretty conventional wisdom good with the exception of the wheelgun over machine pistol, but it has the merit of being cooler. Eagle Airstrike is a real meat and potatoes strategem for just about everything IMO.

I found I wasn't really using the machine pistol since I switched from shotguns to the energy weapons as a primary, the sickle clears light mobs efficiently already and the times I really want a sidearm, when I'm running from a melee unit, having the medium pen in a pistol is pretty nice.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I found I don't need the EAT vs bots when I have AC, since AC can take care of everything. Probably better to take an air strike instead for quickly destroying objectives and big groups

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Mesadoram posted:

It's most of what I do. It's fine, most people don't use mics but I still succeed in 90 plus percent of my drops at 7 and extract almost all of those. It's not bad, really.

You do likely need to pick a kit that can deal with heavies to not have problems.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mederlock posted:

I found I wasn't really using the machine pistol since I switched from shotguns to the energy weapons as a primary, the sickle clears light mobs efficiently already and the times I really want a sidearm, when I'm running from a melee unit, having the medium pen in a pistol is pretty nice.

That makes sense. Part of my personal rationale in sidearm selection is assuming it's going to be something I pull out when I'm in deep poo poo and need to remember my Modern Warfare Gaz mantra about switching to pistol. So I'm generally not placing shots accurately with like 4 hunters and 6 scaveners crawling up my rear end vs using faith-based marksmanship.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I want a strategem that calls in a pelican with a dozen allied AI SEAF troops to soak bullets and distract bugs. I don't even care if they're awful.

Buddy, we are the awful bullet-soaking distraction troops.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hey mom its 420 posted:

I found I don't need the EAT vs bots when I have AC, since AC can take care of everything. Probably better to take an air strike instead for quickly destroying objectives and big groups

Now that you mention it, I haven't been using the EAT all that much since the AC is pretty great if your aim is good. Yeah, maybe I should look at a sentry or another orbital for that slot. Walking barrage+380 barrage/sentry+eagle airstrike+AC?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Reiley posted:

Buddy, we are the awful bullet-soaking distraction troops.

It's so funny that there's a teir even below us. Imagining the grinding total war state of humanity where futuristic spacefaring line troops are issued loving break action shotguns god drat.

I was pondering what a pen and paper RPG based on Helldivers would be, and the first thing I realized is your character sheet is the super destroyer, not the trooper.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They even give you 20 meatshields as a call-in without taking up a stratagem slot! And they'll reinforce themselves!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

hey mom its 420 posted:

Yeah for bots I can get by with the AC and 500kgs. I do use stun grenades to give myself some room and shoot out Hulk eyes.

What's the effective difference between the orbital gatling and orbital airburst? Especially vs bugs since I'd love a better way to clear out swarms, ideally in a way that kills bile spitters.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I’ve been doing quick play roulette with 9 and I’ve seen some poo poo. But it’s nice to be able to just listen to my music and not have to banter. Whoever said the bot drops were polite apparently was on top of or never got the helipad drop. That almost hosed us once then another mission they got two drops on the helipad.

The secret is to call it out before you throw it and announce a retreat. Or be a cluster bomb comedian.

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 10, 2024

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Black Noise posted:

I’ve been doing quick play roulette with 9 and I’ve seen some poo poo. But it’s nice to be able to just listen to my music and not have to banter. Whoever said the bot drops were polite apparently was on top of or never got the helipad drop. That almost hosed us once then another mission they got two drops on the helipad.

My favorite drop so far was right between two eye of saurons that could both see us. Talk about a chaotic first five minutes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rhymenoserous posted:

I had this issue until I ran a few dif2s where in like 10 minutes I picked up ~30 Super Credits, ~10 Medals, and ~13 Commons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016