Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Elon Musk is gonna make an electric car that transforms into a ship welder, but with one of those Dead Space welders in case it needs to fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhugor
Nov 10, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

I have a bunch of friends who went on to academia or computer-touching positions who tell me 'I wish I had gone to technical school' and meanwhile I'm over here like 'I wish I had gone to loving college man'

I did manual labor before school and while getting my degrees to stay alive/eat and I always laugh at people/colleagues that say this, cause they have no idea. I was even in good shape and health and my knees and right shoulder are absolutely hosed just from daily repetitive motions and lifting/carrying that I did in those jobs. And it was only a few years while I was in good physical shape! I can’t imagine the pain after decades or a lifetime of it.

So I quietly enjoy my useless climate controlled office job where I do essentially nothing most of the week, mixed in with periods of complete chaos and late nights. Easily a better trade even with the debt from school.

Part of my job is helping people with employment, and most of the manufacturing or industry jobs have been running the same desperate ads for over 2 years now for all the reasons you state, and it’s somehow actually worse in reality.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I think they've actively made anything beyond undergrad as miserable as possible because I see really promising kids drop out all the time now. Financially it's miserable, getting admitted is miserable, the course work and/or dissertations were always miserable, and what few RA or GA positions seem designed to impoverish and or kill you with stress.

All of these (sorry Willa) Boomer motherfuckers who got tenure the day they were awarded their PhDs have overseen the administrators absolutely obliterate higher education.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there has been some minor success at grad student organization in the USA but I don’t know if it is enough to address the core problems

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Willa's forever point is that the only thing separating a dastardly Boomer from a put upon Millennial is opportunity (nobody cares about Xers). If there were any slots to destroy academia left for Millennials they'd be flooding into them. For instance, the DEI grift train is rife with the younger crowd

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I think they've actively made anything beyond undergrad as miserable as possible because I see really promising kids drop out all the time now. Financially it's miserable, getting admitted is miserable, the course work and/or dissertations were always miserable, and what few RA or GA positions seem designed to impoverish and or kill you with stress.

All of these (sorry Willa) Boomer motherfuckers who got tenure the day they were awarded their PhDs have overseen the administrators absolutely obliterate higher education.

Yeah in engineering it would have been insane to go into academia: make enough money to probably buy a house and have a reasonable chance at promotions OR compete with 69,420 people under threat of deportation who will wash their professors clothes by hand if needs be

Rhugor
Nov 10, 2009

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This is 100% true and it is deliberate. It enforces the class hierarchy of the neo-lib social/political/economic culture, as upon completion you’ve been hazed/blooded into the system and your reward is do-nothing jobs or easy management gigs regardless of merit or competency. And once someone has “made it”, they’re going to do everything to keep it, and keep others down and out. Now after those 2-6 years of hell getting a masters or PhD and you’ve got a justification for acting that way in many people’s eyes.

I was working insane hours for my masters every week and for licensure, and working said labor jobs to cover rent/food cause of course all of this academic crap is unpaid, and I honestly have no idea how I did it without going insane looking back.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Like unless you were doing basically industrial research it wouldn't make sense. And stay the hell away from any science or engineering prof who only has international students

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rhugor posted:

This is 100% true and it is deliberate. It enforces the class hierarchy of the neo-lib social/political/economic culture, as upon completion you’ve been hazed/blooded into the system and your reward is do-nothing jobs or easy management gigs regardless of merit or competency. And once someone has “made it”, they’re going to do everything to keep it, and keep others down and out. Now after those 2-6 years of hell getting a masters or PhD and you’ve got a justification for acting that way in many people’s eyes.

I was working insane hours for my masters every week and for licensure, and working said labor jobs to cover rent/food cause of course all of this academic crap is unpaid, and I honestly have no idea how I did it without going insane looking back.

I'm going to triple post, mods hit me if this is bad, but in engineering having a PhD actually locks you out of certain kinds of work. You're not gonna work for Mattamy Homes or Bird Construction anymore - it really really cuts out who'll look at you

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

It's loving crazy making to read up on The Great Scholars of History when all they had to do was show up for the exams. We have added so many hoops and so much tedious work that obviously wasn't required for loving Goethe or whoever to be considered knowledgeable.

"He was uninspired both by the academics and his fellow students, became indebted for his purchase of books and opium, and spent lengthy periods in London during term. When due to take his final exams, he absconded, never to return. Nonetheless de Quincey’s circle, which included Coleridge and the Wordsworths, considered him a brilliant classicist. Accordingly in 1820 de Quincey was nominated for a Professorship in Moral Philosophy at the University of Edinburgh. "

:psyduck:

but also dudes rock.

Rhugor
Nov 10, 2009

Isentropy posted:

I'm going to triple post, mods hit me if this is bad, but in engineering having a PhD actually locks you out of certain kinds of work. You're not gonna work for Mattamy Homes or Bird Construction anymore - it really really cuts out who'll look at you

I’m not in industrial or engineering so it’s not a big deal for me, but you’re right. For my field, higher education degrees are required to do anything meaningful, or that pays, unfortunately.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Isentropy posted:

i think that is highly dependent on what kinda engineering you do. for civil/environmental/geotech engineers a masters is pretty beneficial. though a lot of civil engineers end up getting management-related masters instead of technical ones.
phds are pretty useless, though, unless you want to be a research engineer or a professor

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

iirc Wittgenstein got a PhD by just writing the TLP

edit

yeah

Despite this fame, [wittgenstein] could not initially work at Cambridge as he did not have a degree, so he applied as an advanced undergraduate. Russell noted that his previous residency was sufficient to fulfill eligibility requirements for a PhD, and urged him to offer the Tractatus as his thesis.[207] It was examined in 1929 by Russell and Moore; at the end of the thesis defence, Wittgenstein clapped the two examiners on the shoulder and said, ‘”Don’t worry, I know you’ll never understand it.”[208] Moore wrote in the examiner’s report: “I myself consider that this is a work of genius; but, even if I am completely mistaken and it is nothing of the sort, it is well above the standard required for the Ph.D. degree.”[209] Wittgenstein was appointed as a lecturer and was made a fellow of Trinity College.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Hatebag posted:

i think that is highly dependent on what kinda engineering you do. for civil/environmental/geotech engineers a masters is pretty beneficial. though a lot of civil engineers end up getting management-related masters instead of technical ones.
phds are pretty useless, though, unless you want to be a research engineer or a professor

Yeah that's the exception. Structural engineering and a few other disciplines require a MS. The only practicing PhDs I've seen worked for LockMart though

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Isentropy posted:

Yeah that's the exception. Structural engineering and a few other disciplines require a MS. The only practicing PhDs I've seen worked for LockMart though

aerospace, petroleum, chemical, electrical, and robotics engineering i think a phd can be useful. and in industry yeah they're going to be at the big companies.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, it is hard to suggest people get a PhD in the US (or I guess North America) unless they have connections/a good job lined up otherwise no one wants to starve to death (perhaps literally) as an adjunct and even many assistant professorships are just not keeping up with the cost of living. I have seen assistant professorships being offer at NYU in the $75,000-80,000 price range, which seems like a lot, until you consider how much it takes to actually live in New York.

American PhDs actually still go quite far abroad, but even Americans who do dissertation work usually come home.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

If I didn't love King and Country so much I would hate them.

I keep forgetting that the head of state of Canada is still the German pretender lmao

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I keep forgetting that the head of state of Canada is still the German pretender lmao

If the King over the water could stop collecting art and kissing his boyfriend for a second, we could do something about it.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

If the King over the water could stop collecting art and kissing his boyfriend for a second, we could do something about it.

We could also fund tons of academic jobs by trying to figure out how to become a republic though? Or just make someone Lord Protector

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Isentropy posted:

We could also fund tons of academic jobs by trying to figure out how to become a republic though? Or just make someone Lord Protector

No, I don't think so. Why on earth would I want to live in a republic?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
There's a huge industry for adult learning MS and PhD options that are an outgrowth of what was put in place for MBAs the last few decades.

I'm getting an MS in Data Analytics right now from a Big Ten school because work will pay for it and the class content is mostly reasonable but the grading scale might as well not even exist. As long as you make an attempt and turn things in it's almost impossible to even get a B, much less anything lower.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Can't we do the Ming bureaucracy thing where we overproduce scholars in the government instead of bagmen?

I'd loving love to get paid a decent salary to potter around in university libraries, reading books, making notes and occasionally getting called into meetings with higher officials, where I'd provide advice by quoting folk proverbs at them.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'd loving love to get paid a decent salary to potter around in university libraries, reading books, making notes and occasionally getting called into meetings with higher officials, where I'd provide advice by quoting folk proverbs at them.

:same:

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Pistol_Pete posted:

well senator, as mr beast said in his philosophical treatise on starving children,

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The policy papers from Australia show they deliberately hosed with naval procurement over decades to break up the skilled, high paying, unionized workforce, I would imagine the US did something similar?

It makes sense. shipbuilders, the one thing that an island nation wouldn't want a skilled workforce of

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Hatebag posted:

doesn't it kind of work out if you get a battery and panels installed and pay for it directly? that's like $15-20k which should mean it pays for itself after like a decade

Wtf.

In South Africa it costs about $5000 for 8x540w solar panels, a 5kW inverter and 5Kw battery, plus installation and municipal registration.

It's a common and popular setup here due to years of electricity issues. And the climate here is extremely well suited to solar. You can get most of a $150 monthly power bill discounted, at least in summer. The financial service providers give 5+ year leases to pay off the installation (to own it), about matching the annual electricity bill reduction.

The USA will lose ww3 because they pay 4 times as much for a solar system...

Presumably because of high import tariffs??

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can't own the solar system Elon

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

It makes sense. shipbuilders, the one thing that an island nation wouldn't want a skilled workforce of

Less of a nation and more of a colony, which is why catering to capitalists is more important than any kind of identity or long term preservation

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Slavvy posted:

You can't own the solar system Elon

They look up past that horizon, past that blue sky, they see the stars and they think, mine.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

No, I don't think so. Why on earth would I want to live in a republic?

:china:

Or North Korea if you prefer.

They even have functional artillery and shell production. You gotta admit you can't argue with these facts.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

StashAugustine posted:

They look up past that horizon, past that blue sky, they see the stars and they think, mine.
"To think of these stars that you see overhead at night, these vast worlds which we can never reach. I would annex the planets if I could; I often think of that. It makes me sad to see them so clear and yet so far."
-Cecil Rhodes

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 23:33 on Apr 10, 2024

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Orange Devil posted:

:china:

Or North Korea if you prefer.

They even have functional artillery and shell production. You gotta admit you can't argue with these facts.
Do the facilities look better or worse than what they got in the West?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGeaTDxPI9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0BXr3Zjg_I

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lmao that the Kims taking tours to see how things are made first hand is held as some kind of slight against them

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

lmao that the Kims taking tours to see how things are made first hand is held as some kind of slight against them

"real leadership lives in total ignorance" - george washington

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

There's also literally no barracks in Ottawa.

Because they closed the base that had all the housing (ie prime real estate, the other one is now the international airport)

Tore down the barracks

Let the housing fall into literal ruins

As well as loving facilities that closed and weren't relocated within NCR, like the loving bank and Mess

and guess what it is now? loving guess?

loving luxury townhouses and condos

If I didn't love King and Country so much I would hate them.

doing a land acknowledgement for my mcmansion, but acknowledging service members having to vie for offbase housing instead of indigenous americans

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Votskomit posted:

Wtf.

In South Africa it costs about $5000 for 8x540w solar panels, a 5kW inverter and 5Kw battery, plus installation and municipal registration.

It's a common and popular setup here due to years of electricity issues. And the climate here is extremely well suited to solar. You can get most of a $150 monthly power bill discounted, at least in summer. The financial service providers give 5+ year leases to pay off the installation (to own it), about matching the annual electricity bill reduction.s
f
The USA will lose ww3 because they pay 4 times as much for a solar system..cmc.

Presumably because of high import tariffs??

well, as mentioned above it's probably actually more like $30k out of pocket, but you can deduct up to 30% of that so it comes out to $21k plus the interest between when you pay and when you file your taxes.
I'd assume it has something to do with america being run by a cabal of fossil fuel companies. and because all the solar panel installation companies are based on a rent-seeking model, they want to get the installation cost as high as possible to coerce people into being sun serfs.
and yeah, some tax deductions you can only claim for solar panels made in the usa, which is effectively a tariff

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TeenageArchipelago posted:

?? They're a continental nation. NZ is the island nation.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/EvanDyerCBC/status/1778070997226205222?t=sEXqWDlNgIwVF7f7b1D2_g&s=19

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

rules based international order airstrikes again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

OhFunny posted:

The Navy is losing the sub race to Subway.

new thread subtitle