Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Wha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

GrandpaPants posted:

The soundtrack will be "Oops all pedophiles" to maintain the style established in the first film.

I don't recall this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

they used the gary glitter song for a scene.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

they used the gary glitter song for a scene.

Yeah, there was a big moral panic about how Joker was going to cause a wave of mass shootings across the country, and when that didn’t happen, that was the “controversy” they settled on to save face. That and how the movie was gentrifying the staircase.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Lost a lot of enthusiasm when it came out that it’s a jukebox musical but will probably see it anyways for Gaga alone.

Well, there goes any interest I had

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, there was a big moral panic about how Joker was going to cause a wave of mass shootings across the country, and when that didn’t happen, that was the “controversy” they settled on to save face. That and how the movie was gentrifying the staircase.

I don't recall if "Joker is the incel messiah" was a separate controversy or just connected to the mass shooting one, but the movie definitely inspired its share of lunacy.

I'm fine with the Gary Glitter song being that a) every sports game already uses the song and b) he's currently in prison so it's not like he can do much with the royalties.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The "Joker will cause a mass shooting" thing is pushed by one retired cop, so if a news channel never talked to him, it never came up in all the hand wringing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
There was some scaremongering that Joker would be a rallying film for incels, and there were concerns over how dangerous the film was (almost certainly seeded by the studio to generate hype. See also: the studio offering to provide extra security for Straight Outta Compton some years back). There were also concerns there was going to be “another” Joker-themed shooting because James Holmes, perpetrator of the Aurora theater shooting, supposedly dressed like the Joker to shoot up a Batman movie. But as mentioned, that one was based on one cop, and if you look at pictures of Holmes he clearly wasn’t imitating the Joker.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone posted a sign on an AMC door saying that no single men would be admitted to screenings of Joker and got banned for life.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pirate Jet posted:

Lost a lot of enthusiasm when it came out that it’s a jukebox musical but will probably see it anyways for Gaga alone.

First movie grossed a billion, we'll see how much of a star Gaga is.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

here they come

https://x.com/variety/status/1778104015001096414?s=46

mystes
May 31, 2006

Next thing you know they're going to make a movie of clue or battleship

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope it ends with the lesson that is gently caress Monopoly just like irl

mystes
May 31, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I hope it ends with the lesson that is gently caress Monopoly just like irl
That is literally supposed to be the lesson of the boardgame but I would not be optimistic about it translating to the movie

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Man Margot Robbie is on one. The Sims movie? Monopoly? Ottessa Moshfegh?
I'm so tired of like millenial-targeting Lego movie/barbie type bullshit tho. Oh great a Sims movie here to talk to me about my relationship with my father or whatever the gently caress tedious bullshit.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Excited to see a board game's whose Geogian origins arise from an attempt to show the negative consequences of land monopolies have a movie about a white woman not getting paid enough or whatever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Monopoly the Movie - brought to you Hasbro and the Blackstone Group

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

the true gift of monopoly is the friends we made along the way, not the lesson that rent-seeking landlords are a deleterious curse on society. easy mistake to make

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Seventh Seal's chess game, but it's mancala.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Pirate Jet posted:

Joker Face

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Monopoly movie needs to be like 5 hours long and toward the end everyone is sick of it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

And hates their dad at the end

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

They already made a Monopoly movie, they just called it Glengarry Glen Ross

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shageletic posted:

Excited to see a board game's whose Geogian origins arise from an attempt to show the negative consequences of land monopolies have a movie about a white woman not getting paid enough or whatever.

Georgist, different from Georgian (and Geogian).

I think it's pretty clear the movie will be a very surface level "capitalism bad" primer, probably with a very condescending speechifying moment like America Ferrera in Barbie. But similarly to Barbie's (Babby's) First Feminism, maybe there's a lot of people out there that need to have that poo poo spelled out to them idk.

At least this one will be pulling in the same direction textually as its IP, whereas Barbie had to pull off the magic mystification of tranforming an insanely misogynistic product into a beacon of feminist liberation and patriarchal deconstruction, while simultaneously trying to inject some metatextual commentary on top of that and also appealing to 5 year olds

I hope it has a talking dog and a tophat.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The ads for the Monopoly mobile game highlighted being a landlord that raised rents and kicked out your pregnant mother or stealing from the bank, so I wouldn't be too hopeful for baby's first manifesto

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the weird thing is they've been trying to make a Monopoly movie for like thirty years now. Ridley Scott was attached at one point.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the weird thing is they've been trying to make a Monopoly movie for like thirty years now. Ridley Scott was attached at one point.

The pre-production for Monopoly has been going on almost as long as any given family game of Monopoly at this point

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Billie eilish singing “what is my purpose” but for a millennial who can’t buy a house

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Calling it now. At some point a character will say "Go directly to jail."

Lavender Spliffs
Nov 12, 2023

Presto posted:

Calling it now. At some point a character will say "Go directly to jail."

A judge character will say whe whole card during a trail scene while shaking her gavel at the camera.

Go to jail
Go directly to jail
Do not pass go
Do not collect $200

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lavender Spliffs posted:

A judge character will say whe whole card during a trail scene while shaking her gavel at the camera.

Go to jail
Go directly to jail
Do not pass go
Do not collect $200

This should feature in the trailer, set to a slowed down version of a song or whatever the trend is

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
𝅘𝅥𝅮Oh𝅘𝅥𝅮

𝅘𝅥𝅮We gonna rock down to𝅘𝅥𝅮

𝅘𝅥𝅮Baltic Avenue𝅘𝅥𝅮

𝅘𝅥𝅮And then we'll take rent higher𝅘𝅥𝅮

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

This should feature in the trailer, set to a slowed down version of a song or whatever the trend is

Can we start predicting what it'll be?

A children's choir mournfully singing Abba

Money, money, money

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

pink floyd - money

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The real question is, will they make a novelty monopoly board of the movie?
yes

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
C.R.E.A.M. by the Wu-Tang Clan.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Southern Cassowary posted:

pink floyd - money

Slowed down or not, this is happening.

Children's choir version of the O'Jays incoming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0exMNFJgDFc

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Money, money, moooney
BOOM!
"And then it all changed"
[Cut to black screen for 2 seconds]
MOOOOONEY!

Monopoly
Summer 2025

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Not sure about the murders, but I think we can rule out OJ Simpson having a cameo in the Naked Gun reboot.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Billie eilish singing “what is my purpose” but for a millennial who can’t buy a house

I'm mostly expecting a song named "I'm just Wheelbarrow" about the most unpopular Monopoly piece.