Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't know a lot about this kid but I am excited to see what the fuss is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

explosivo posted:

I don't know a lot about this kid but I am excited to see what the fuss is about.

i assume he will take after his dad get hit in the ball sack while trying to catch a fly ball

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That was an all time postseason memory for me, will never forget how fast 56,000 people went from despair to elation in that moment

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I just rewatched it and it's still very funny

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Alas, the Texas Rangers are dogshit garbage once again.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jesus christ
https://x.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1777829248327168372

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Ugh that’s awful. Felt the PBP’s anguish

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Shouldn't have built The Grate on an old Native American burial ground, imho

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Think Tyler glasnow is cool?

Google “glasnow 14 88”

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
I know it's earlier than early but if The Los Angeles California Angels of Anaheim end up anywhere close to 1st place I'd die a happy death

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Bandire posted:

Alas, the Texas Rangers are dogshit garbage once again.

The AL West might be the new AL Central this year.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I am extremely hype for this.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Grem posted:

I know it's earlier than early but if The Los Angeles California Angels of Anaheim end up anywhere close to 1st place I'd die a happy death

I won't even be able to enjoy it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I don't understand why folks can't really grasp the concept of the rash of pitcher injuries is, "A Big Combination of a Bunch of poo poo."

But wouldn't putting something like three seconds back onto the pitch clock be an immediate way to alleviate some stress? It doesn't need to go away. But shortening it while the MLB is conducting some giant study on pitcher injuries seems like some Amazon efficiency level bullshit to keep games short.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

zoux posted:

Ronel Blanco about to become the GOAT longevity guy

That's another thing Verlander talks about in the interview, that he can't open his instagram feed without seeing a million 12 year old kids being taught how to throw as hard as possible and he says that isn't how he came up. But he was also undrafted out of high school and didn't mature into his pitching body until college. But of course, you aren't going to make the majors these days unless you are going to Dr gently caress's SPIN Academy starting at age five.

Yeah, they had an Angels guy who was one of BA’s teammates during the Rays preshow the other day - he talked about how he didn’t throw a breaking ball until he was in college, there was no travel ball, he didn’t pick up a baseball between October and Spring Training, and all the Kids These Days coming up are trying to maximize spin rate and throw the perfect slider in high school and their arms already look like a Chrysler with 100,000 miles on it.

I know there are a million factors but putting 3 seconds back on the pitch clock would at least defuse the tension between the league and the union a bit!

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 10, 2024

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

just bought tickets for friday's game to see the debut lfg

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The pitch clock strikes again

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Travis_Sawchik/status/1778059354857476256

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

"First 100 days of the year" i feel like has to be the key qualifier there. I still believe we've never seen anywhere near this number of MLB pitchers go down in the first 2 weeks of the regular season.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, if we were 100 days in, I'd say that this data proves there's no surge. Instead, we're like 20 days in, and are already only two short of the highest number on there (11).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

well I think it's a consistent measurement, 100 days of the calendar year (January February March +early April).
but first, something this year just concentrated a ton of injuries into a condensed period of time after Opening Day.
and second, it's still been one long constant massive escalation from pre-2014 numbers.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Cubs are 2nd in the majors in runs per game at 6.45. Only the Braves are higher at 6.90 (nice). Pretty good considering 3 of the 4 teams they've played have been the Rangers, Dodgers, and Padres.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

well I think it's a consistent measurement, 100 days of the calendar year (January February March +early April).

Okay, that changes things. The concentration of injuries in the post-opening-day period is a bit concerning, maybe, but I was basing my thoughts on an incorrect reading (thinking that it was 100 days after opening day, not calendar year).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At this rate MLB pitchers of the future will be called up to hurl 115mph fastballs for 3 innings before getting TJ surgery in the fourth.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I went to bed thinking no way the Cubs could hold a 4 run lead.

Happy to wake up incorrect.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's always been common to have a wave of TJs early each season, because pitchers who find out in the fall they're going to need it choose the overoptimistic "rest and rehab" route first because they don't want to spend their 4 months' vacation rehabbing--rehabbing from TJS is arduous work and the arm is totally useless for the first few months. Then as soon as they start airing it out in the spring, yep, sure enough, the ligament's no good and then they get the surgery done in April/May.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
it turns out that Christopher Morel is amazing.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Poque posted:

More(l) and more(l) people are saying this.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

:hmmyes:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

will_colorado posted:

we are all getting so very old

I am today years old and just learned that Jackson Holliday is Matt's son. God damnit.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
2024 NL MVP Christopher Morel is cool, good, and our friend

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/obvious_shirts/status/1777474909922337152

so it also turns out that Shota is cool af

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

so it also turns out that Shota is cool af

This was obvious from his opening press conference:

https://twitter.com/JohnSparaco/status/1745903937310310413

Also the fact that he picked Chelsea Dagger as his warmup music.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

At this rate MLB pitchers of the future will be called up to hurl 115mph fastballs for 3 innings before getting TJ surgery in the fourth.

Pitchers will evolve multiple rows of UCLs, like shark teeth

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
The Royals may never lose again

They're not this good but it sure is a lot more fun watching a team that doesn't fold the instant they fall behind. It's all going to go to poo poo when the starting pitching stops being this good but I'm going to enjoy it now until the inevitable rash of injuries.

Of course then it will be Greinke Time.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Explosionface posted:

More(l) and more(l) people are saying this.

:golfclap:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Interesting piece at Fangraphs simming AAA club rosters against MLB squads -- Norfolk tops with 56 wins, low is 38. Lots of caveats but does provide some insight into how far the worst big league clubs compare to a top farm team.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I kinda wish the O's had promoted Basallo to Norfolk before Holliday got the callm just so you could maximize the number of potential MLB talent on a box score that'd be fun to look back at someday

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Looks like the Orioles/Red Sox game is the MLB.tv free game of the day, so even if you don't subscribe you can watch Jackson Holliday's debut, which is very cool

Unless you're blacked out of Orioles games, like I am, living in loving NORTH CAROLINA, LITERALLY 290 MILES FROM CAMDEN YARDS :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bregor posted:

Unless you're blacked out of Orioles games, like I am, living in loving NORTH CAROLINA, LITERALLY 290 MILES FROM CAMDEN YARDS :argh:

I will remind you once again that MLB hates the entire state of Iowa, which is blacked out from Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, Twins, Royals and Cardinals games.