Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One 4th of July I was at a Home Depot and I overheard some lady being all agitated that there wasn't any Confederate flags for sale along with the American flags. In my one instance of butting in on a conversation I'm not a part of I said to her "If you really want a Confederate flag, head over to the paint section, grab a white drop sheet, and fly that on your flagpole."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lmao this owns. Conservatives are all about winner take all, only the strong survive, etc. Until it comes to the Civil War :thunk: No you cannot have your traitor memorabilia back.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:hai:

Metallica chat: For whatever reasons, I simply cannot stand Hetfield's singing voice most of the time, so while I would probably like a good bit of their early stuff (There are definitely riffs and poo poo I've heard and liked), whatever interest I have usually goes away the second he starts singing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Metallica chat: For whatever reasons, I simply cannot stand Hetfield's singing voice most of the time, so while I would probably like a good bit of their early stuff (There are definitely riffs and poo poo I've heard and liked), whatever interest I have usually goes away the second he starts singing.

this is how I feel about Rush

don't @ me I can hear the talent and the drummer is amazing but I just can't listen to geddy lee's voice, at all, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Android Apocalypse posted:

One 4th of July I was at a Home Depot and I overheard some lady being all agitated that there wasn't any Confederate flags for sale along with the American flags. In my one instance of butting in on a conversation I'm not a part of I said to her "If you really want a Confederate flag, head over to the paint section, grab a white drop sheet, and fly that on your flagpole."

"I'll help you put one up if I can burn down your home and land after"

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Leperflesh posted:

don't @ me I can hear the talent and the drummer is amazing but I just can't listen to geddy lee's voice, at all, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me

BEGIN THE DAY WITH A FRIENDLY VOICE, A COMPANION UNOBTRUSIVE

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Obsessed with the video of the dog and the two guys fighting.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That woman whose boyfriend left her for eight months before getting back together was too much of a loser to think of this
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1011935937599823873?t=MIW_FkxfNaS7UVLFpBI3iA&s=19

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Leperflesh posted:

I’m currently wearing a Rush t-shirt lol

a neat cape posted:

BEGIN THE DAY WITH A FRIENDLY VOICE, A COMPANION UNOBTRUSIVE

INVISIBLE AIRWAVES CRACKLE WITH LIFE, BRIGHT ANTENNA BRISTLE WITH THE ENERGY (awesome guitar stuff)

SUBDIVISONS

Rush is my second favorite band and Alex Lifeson is almost certainly my second favorite guitarist

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

That's exactly how I feel. Knew a guy who was super into metallica in HS and he got me to listen to Master of Puppets and I was really into it for... exactly the minute before he started singing.

Never got over that, immediately back to the confort of my KMFDM.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Curb finale was great. laughed heartily at "what are you gonna, do adopt a 40 yr old?"

What a great show.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

fartknocker posted:

I’m currently wearing a Rush t-shirt lol

INVISIBLE AIRWAVES CRACKLE WITH LIFE, BRIGHT ANTENNA BRISTLE WITH THE ENERGY (awesome guitar stuff)

SUBDIVISONS

Rush is my second favorite band and Alex Lifeson is almost certainly my second favorite guitarist

You are a person of taste, and culture.

Limelight is in my top 5 favorite songs ever

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I saw Primus open for Rush on the Roll the Bones tour, got a bootleg t-shirt that got 40% wider and 10% shorter after its first wash, really enjoyed Primus and the 10 minute drum solo by neil peart (rip), and the rest of the rush show made me hate life and the only reason I didn't leave was I was there with my dad and my girlfriend and they were both having a blast and also my dad was my ride home

My dad loving loved Rush so I definitely didn't just overract to the first exposure, I've just always had to instantly turn it off

same deal with Robert Smith (the Cure), actually now I think about it. That vocal style makes me hurl. The Cure is obviously an important and hugely influential band but I just nope right out. Can't.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It’s ok Leper, I hate Rush too.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Me one moment: I can't stand Hetfield's whiny lil' voice on Metallica

Me the next: I've been looking so long at these pictures of you

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

You are a person of taste, and culture.

Limelight is in my top 5 favorite songs ever

If you like Rush and/or live stuff, check out the Live in YYZ 1981 show that was included with the 40th Anniversary release of Moving Pictures. It’s a complete, unedited concert and sounds awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuPTNahZSQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibSVn9OfkY

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s ok Leper, I hate Rush too.

:respek:

there's so much music to listen to that it's OK to not like some of it IMO

there's my hot take

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

My only exposure to Rush as a kid was hearing Tom Sawyer on the radio and for a long time I thought it was a woman signing lol. I don't mean this as a positive or a negative, just yeah, Geddy has an unconventional voice

My dad exclusively listened to like 1950s oldies and my mom isn't much into music at all. So I was on my own as far as discovering and learning bands that came out after, like, Elvis Presley.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Forrest on Fire posted:

Every male nurse I know IRL has extremely obnoxious opinions about crystals.

Im at the hospital because my mom had an ablation and of course two male nurses were talking about how sometimes it’s okay to drink rotten milk but it “has to smell right.”

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Docjowles posted:

My only exposure to Rush as a kid was hearing Tom Sawyer on the radio and for a long time I thought it was a woman signing lol. I don't mean this as a positive or a negative, just yeah, Geddy has an unconventional voice

This was exactly me when I first heard Rush, except it was Closer to the Heart

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

there's my hot take

Yeah, it's all just vibes. Like what you like, don't like what you don't, and just don't make that your whole personality.

Docjowles posted:

My dad exclusively listened to like 1950s oldies and my mom isn't much into music at all. So I was on my own as far as discovering and learning bands that came out after, like, Elvis Presley.

Bunch of road trips as a kid were a handful of hits of the 50's cassettes or musicals..... Why yes I'll take listening to Camelot for the 25th time over Blue moon, you saw me standing alone, Without a dream in my heart

FizFashizzle posted:

Im at the hospital because my mom had an ablation and of course two male nurses were talking about how sometimes it’s okay to drink rotten milk but it “has to smell right.”

Wait, is there another way Rotten milk is outside of smelling or tasting rancid? Do they just mean drinking something a couple of days past the date on the bottle and it being fine? The mind reels.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 10, 2024

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Rush is one of those bands that I only heard what was on classic rock radio (Which was probably Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, Limelight, Freewill, Closer to the Heart, Fly by Night, and Subdivisions) for years until I somehow would up with a CD of Moving Pictures as a teenager, which is start to finish awesome, and suddenly without realizing it, I knew all the words to Red Barchetta and the ending combo of Witch Hunt and Vital Signs just always grabbed me.

So I started looking up other stuff on my own, and they have a ton of poo poo, a lot of it is amazing, yadda yadda yadda, and that’s why I’m currently wearing a Hemispheres t-shirt.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ozymandius1024 posted:

Like he was testing her or something?

That was my read on it too. Like, "show me how much you really miss me" and poo poo.

Leperflesh posted:

there's my hot take

:hmmyes:

I used to hang out with some music nerds who would have horrified to hear anyone badmouth Rush or the Beatles, but gently caress if I can be bothered by that kind of thing anymore

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’m very much live and let live when it comes to people’s musical tastes because hey, whether you like something I like has zero effect on my enjoyment of it, but the kind of person that has to parachute in and say “actually x sucks major rear end” is so painfully tedious. It doesn’t really happen in TFF but I’ve seen it plenty of times in other corners of the forums whenever someone brings up, like, The Beatles or whatever.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Freaquency posted:

I’m very much live and let live when it comes to people’s musical tastes because hey, whether you like something I like has zero effect on my enjoyment of it, but the kind of person that has to parachute in and say “actually x sucks major rear end” is so painfully tedious. It doesn’t really happen in TFF but I’ve seen it plenty of times in other corners of the forums whenever someone brings up, like, The Beatles or whatever.

My youngest sibling is very much that person, but if you ever press them on it, they can't back up why they think that. They're just a contrarian for the sake of being one

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My list of bands that I'd like more if I didn't hate the lead singer's voice:

Stone Temple Pilots
Soundgarden
Jane's Addiction
Led Zeppelin
Rush
Metallica (Megadeth gets a nod here too)

For some reason Billy Corgan skates by with The Smashing Pumpkins but I have to be in the right mood.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My professional opinion on music is if you like something, you should listen to it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Queens of the Stone Age are cool and good

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The only legal music should be RDR2 Instrumentals

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

The only legal music should be the Rebel Galaxy soundtrack

:hmmyes:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Frank Klepacki C&C albums only.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Stone Temple Pilots
Soundgarden
Jane's Addiction
Led Zeppelin
Rush

For some reason Billy Corgan skates by with The Smashing Pumpkins but I have to be in the right mood.

https://youtu.be/azhgpelu0vY?si=W165APj2w6Zmd7EH

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I only listen to ELO's "Out of The Blue" on repeat, 8 hours a day.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
A good number of the musicians I love are either Courtney Barnett and/or have opened for her/played at her musical festivals.

Most of them are queer femmes.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Just lol, lmao if you listen to anything other than Lebanese-style Mississippi Delta Blues

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Queens of the Stone Age are cool and good

Definitely my favorite band even if the newest album wasn't my favorite.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Stone Temple Pilots
Soundgarden
Jane's Addiction
Led Zeppelin
Rush

In the late 90s/early 00s there was this post-grunge era of rock I think of as exemplified by "Staind", though other bands did it too. Everything from the guitars to the singer's voice seems compressed into a small, emotionally dead sonic range. Listening to it feels like sitting in jail staring at a stone wall. They even named their album "14 shades of gray" so I guess they hit their mark lol. I'll listen to a lot of different stuff but I can't stand these bands, the radio is getting shut off with a vengeance if they come on. It's not that it's grating... the opposite, if anything. It's just so aggressively boring and dead. I'm usually listening to music to feel something, and these bands give me nothing at all.

Interestingly Wikipedia puts Foo Fighters in this post-grunge bucket, which seems harsh (if literally true of where Grohl came from heh). Then again I'm very meh on Foo Fighters for reasons I've never been able to pin down so maybe there's something there.

:ughh: lol god drat you

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

music peaked with Johann Sebastian Bach and has been downhill ever since

the passacaglia and fugue in c minor played on a giant church organ is the pinnacle of human musical achievement

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
For my money it's hard to beat Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 for harpsichord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YsK4R_amQo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
The music that was on the radio when I, the reader of this post, was 14 years old was obviously the high water mark for music. Any music made more recently is dumb music for kids, while anything older is boring music for old people.