Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The 7th Guest posted:

It also adds a social credit score and perks... which will probably generate some discourse.
the game already had social credit score, it just didn't do anything other than finish the game when you got enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
ok now that no one feels like they have to buy the puzzle sniping game that may or may not be good but will probably be fun to pick up on sale in the future, i highly recommend everyone buy 2024 GOTY Yellow Taxi Go Vroom today

picked it up yesterday thinking i'd play a bit and then get back to finishing Pepper Grinder and whoops there went three hours

i'm also looking forward to picking up Biomorph but at this point my Metroidvania backlog is almost as long as my JRPG one

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Awesome! posted:

question about the last spell, a lot of the reviews mention runs being several hours long. is that like a "first time playing so im reading everything and figuring poo poo out" situation or does every run take that long?

No, it's not a "first time playing" thing.

A run is made up of multiple days/nights, and each night often has many large waves of bad guys.

You can stop and save at any point during the day, or in between waves during the night. But you can't just quit midway through a wave.

Runs will go faster as you learn the enemies, develop your threat assessment and find weapon combos you jive with, but it is fundamentally designed to be a longer game.

Personally I really like that about the game, once you get a good group you get to enjoy it for a long time. Unlike most Roguelites where a run is just a lil' bite-sized 15-30 minute thing. Highly recommend the game who anyone likes strategy RPGs / Tactics games, and or things that could be described as "Power Fantasy"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I will die on the hill of alpha/beta games not being launches

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Speaking of which, Planet Crafter just launched out of early access and I love that drat game. The devs have done great work expanding from the core concept

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Broken Roads not getting great Steam reviews so far, even though the number is still very low

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Animal Well and Tales of Kenzera will be day one on PS+, which means PS5 owners* will finally have not just one but two new games to play, which is extremely rare

*i'm one of them -_-

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

only 3 of the 15 games mentioned there are early access

and that's 12 games released this week

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is not a new release or even a big indie but A Short Hike is one of the most adorably fun experience I’ve had in a long time. That is all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A Short Hike owns

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I wish Humble Monthly still did their small games funding thing. It gave the world more than a couple of gems like Getting Over It and a Short Hike.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Kibayasu posted:

This is not a new release or even a big indie but A Short Hike is one of the most adorably fun experience I’ve had in a long time. That is all.

It’s excellent and I’m overdue to replay it. I also highly recommend Lil Gator Game, which I played for the first time recently, if you’re looking for another compact open-world game in a similar vein.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Early access has been a thing for a while now. I don’t doubt that most games get a shot in the arm at 1.0, but I do wonder what a study would suggest about player bases starting at initial EA to “launch.”

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

It’s excellent and I’m overdue to replay it. I also highly recommend Lil Gator Game, which I played for the first time recently, if you’re looking for another compact open-world game in a similar vein.

It probably would be good to expand my gator horizons, the only recent one was Later Alligator.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Kibayasu posted:

A Short Hike is charming and great.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Early access has been a thing for a while now. I don’t doubt that most games get a shot in the arm at 1.0, but I do wonder what a study would suggest about player bases starting at initial EA to “launch.”

Yeah I suspect the launch bump is pretty small for these games. Fair trade off for getting money earlier in the dev process, and probably still a lot better than what happens to a game that finally leaves Epic.

I’m just rear-hurt about hearing a game I’m looking forward to “is out” but it’s just a print() statement with a price tag

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Lil Gator Game recently hit gamepass too!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dark Souls report: having found Andre and gotten my Mace upgraded to +1, I decided to backtrack to Firelink shrine. I swiftly discovered that fighting BACKWARDS is awful and I hate it. But I did kindle the Undead Burg fire finally, and back at Firelink I gave her a soul, so my estus flasks are better! :toot:

I then proceeded to explore, found a cemetery, and that is ENTIRELY too many skeletons :mad:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I then proceeded to explore, found a cemetery, and that is ENTIRELY too many skeletons :mad:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There is danger in that cemetery, but also loot! Be brave.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Phlegmish posted:

Broken Roads not getting great Steam reviews so far, even though the number is still very low

I was hoping it would be good since there doesn't seem to be anything interesting to me until the Elden Ring DLC but it's got slammed by the gaming press and user reviews for it are mostly negative at the moment

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

otoh you wouldn't want to find skeletons not in a cemetery

that can only mean problems are happening

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Now this is what I'm fuckin' talking about

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I don't like these new Funnybones books

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I don't like these new Funnybones books

Sounds like someone has a bone to pick

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Orv posted:

Children of the Sun got previews on basically every video game news site I'm aware of and basically every single one was extremely into it. I assume no one clicked on them because weird name and art.

I wish we had data on how weird art does for sales. I always bounce off anything weird until people recommend it up and down for long enough (Obra Dinn, Golden Idol, etc) but I don't know if that's just me. Children of the Sun I immediately noped out of because of the style.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A Short Hike is frustrating for me because despite being hyped up as a cute, relaxing, no-frills experience instead it contains enough elements that, combined with my particular brain chemistry, actually made it irritating and stressful.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Serephina posted:

There is danger in that cemetery, but also loot! Be brave.

Also while I support this encouragement, do not stray further beyond the cemetary yet.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Phigs posted:

I wish we had data on how weird art does for sales. I always bounce off anything weird until people recommend it up and down for long enough (Obra Dinn, Golden Idol, etc) but I don't know if that's just me. Children of the Sun I immediately noped out of because of the style.

Tell me you never played cruelty squad without...

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Barry Convex posted:

this is a shame. hope it has a long tail through word of mouth

https://twitter.com/persistentworld/status/1777961037242765783?s=46

this is because when you shoot the bullet, the entire cartridge comes out of the sniper rifle, jacket and primer and all, ruining the game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hwurmp posted:

otoh you wouldn't want to find skeletons not in a cemetery

that can only mean problems are happening
busy fighting sickass demons in skeleton hell, possibly

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

nyeh, see, we got a bone to pick with youse mugs

e:f;b

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Awesome! posted:

question about the last spell, a lot of the reviews mention runs being several hours long. is that like a "first time playing so im reading everything and figuring poo poo out" situation or does every run take that long?

Runs are usually 1-2 hours long depending on difficulty, how used you are to the game and how late into the game you are. It's a great game but even once you know what you're doing you're going to start taking time to plan out your turns since you have 4-5 dudes and there's like 150 enemies on screen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

"THEY'VE ENTERED THE CATACOMBS! RRRRRRATTLE 'EM, BOYS!"

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Remembering that Dead Island 2 comes out of Epic Jail in a few weeks (hooray!), I'd love to see sales figures on those EGS exclusives that end up on Steam a year later to see how well they do with the sales platform change.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Awesome! posted:

Every run.

The shortest game is 6 or 7 rounds of 5-15 turns with 3-5 characters who each need to make 4-5 decisions every turn. Every round has a build and equip phase in between. It never really gets faster because every round has a ton of random elements so your plan and goal is constantly changing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

More steam games are becoming available on GeForce now on launch day which is cool, looking forward to playing Manor lords on it

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Manor Lords is still my most anticipated game of April, after just finishing Dragon's Dogma 2 I need something to tide me over, so probably gonna check out No rest for the wicked.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TeaJay posted:

so probably gonna check out No rest for the wicked.

I think that's just an Early Access release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dark Souls report: having found Andre and gotten my Mace upgraded to +1, I decided to backtrack to Firelink shrine. I swiftly discovered that fighting BACKWARDS is awful and I hate it.

You did find the elevator from the church back down to Firelink and didn't go back the long way, right? :ohdear: