Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Who are you going to believe, your empty stomach or my chart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Uncle Wemus posted:

‘I cannot afford to live’: Gen Z is full of financial angst despite inheriting a golden job market

"Gen Z is coming into the workforce and -- in the grand tradition of what Millennials cringe-ily called “adulting” -- they're complaining about how much easier older generations have had it financially," writes Allison Morrow.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/10/business/gen-zs-financial-angst/index.html

Anybody who thinks this is a great job market for an entry level worker has obviously not actually talked to anyone who is one, it's a total poo poo-show. Resumes getting dumpstered by ai-powered recruiting machinery, fake job postings, literally hundreds to thousands of applications required to actually get to the part where you talk to a human and that's if you actually have an in-demand skill. A lot of these poor fucks are just stuck at the bottom in go-nowhere service jobs and watching their rent and food costs climb every month, waiting for the axe to drop.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
those silly poor people, why don't they just choose to get a high paying job

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In all seriousness, where do these statistics come from that say the economy is doing great?

Like are we talking about the stats that say millions of new jobs and businesses are being created and when you look at them, they're talking about Uber/Lyft drivers?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Fetterman spotted

https://x.com/NBCNews/status/1778169853980926360

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

mcmagic scouring big bad twitter to find every succer's take on cornel. :discourse:

Wait until Weigel hears about all the stupid things his candidate has said

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

post hole digger posted:

"golden job market" lmfao

golden in the trickle down sense, op

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

its a thing

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

this clip is good bc the youngs have some powerful arguments against vbnmw & also bc the cnn interviewer tries her best to get them to see the folly of their ways but to no avail.

https://twitter.com/CaseStudyQB/status/1778088792471028150

Really annoyed by the interviewer framing the question as "will you WITHHOLD your vote?", once again demonstrating Dems think they are owed votes of anyone not Republican-aligned or young

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

quote:

In the chaos after the shooting, a child who was struck by a police vehicle suffered a broken leg, he said.

lol

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
an alleged individual of the minor persuasion was kinetically impacted by a LEO-related automotive conveyance

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Picking up my kids at school today saw a car with the newest LGBTQIAA+ flag sticker on the back along with some harry potter stuff. AND a sticker that said: "I support the hard work of police AND BLACK LIVES MATTER"

Libs really are something else.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

violent youth's calf damages innocent car bumper

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Anybody who thinks this is a great job market for an entry level worker has obviously not actually talked to anyone who is one, it's a total poo poo-show. Resumes getting dumpstered by ai-powered recruiting machinery, fake job postings, literally hundreds to thousands of applications required to actually get to the part where you talk to a human and that's if you actually have an in-demand skill. A lot of these poor fucks are just stuck at the bottom in go-nowhere service jobs and watching their rent and food costs climb every month, waiting for the axe to drop.

written like it's from a former WSJ writer, which it is:

quote:

It’s important to remember, Duke tells me, that younger workers are always starting out at a disadvantage when they enter the workforce. You start at an entry level wage, gain experience, and, typically, you see your wages go up. Of course, the long view is little comfort when you’re 23 and slurping bodega ramen with your six roommates.

the entire piece is coyly written as if food & housing costs just increased as a force of nature & not bc of unregulated capitalism.

and it's that dang social media handing out misinfo again!

quote:

One giant difference between now and any other moment in history: Gen Z is entering adulthood armed with a menagerie of social platforms where they can publicly broadcast their financial angst, or, conversely, gawk at peers who are having a better time thanks to generational wealth.

Last week, a TikTok user posted an angry rant about the cost of living that’s since been viewed 5 million times on the platform, with tens of thousands of comments and shares.

and then to cap it off she calls her fellow millies lucky duckies:

quote:

But distressed Gen Zers can take a bit of solace from the Millennial experience.

Many of us had no job prospects to speak of straight out of college, and slogged through a decade of stagnant wages (all while the Boomers who blew up the economy shamed us for living at home and eating avocado toast). Other jobless Millennials flocked to graduate school, taking on even more debt that’s become a massive drag on economic mobility. (That’s another benefit of a strong labor market, Duke notes: You end up with fewer hapless young people taking on grad school debt that’ll come back to haunt them.)

It took a long time, but Millennials have, in some ways, caught up. We’re outpacing Gen X in retirement savings as of 2022, according to Charles Schwab. And, since 2019, workers under the age of 40 saw wages go up 14% on average.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

Really annoyed by the interviewer framing the question as "will you WITHHOLD your vote?", once again demonstrating Dems think they are owed votes of anyone not Republican-aligned or young

I laughed, bc it's so bog-standard lib poo poo to use that tired phrasing as well as the BUT TRUMP but the youngs fielded her b.s. so well that I can't believe that cnn actually went ahead & aired the clip.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

the_steve posted:

I'm just glad I'm not the only person who thought that was Tom Green

we are the silent majority

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lol 14% over 5 years (2.8% per years) is less than your typical cost of living increase. hell the cpi reached 6-7% or more during the pandemic years alone

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

In all seriousness, where do these statistics come from that say the economy is doing great?

Like are we talking about the stats that say millions of new jobs and businesses are being created and when you look at them, they're talking about Uber/Lyft drivers?

p much yea it's 99% part time

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

They revise the job numbers like a month or two later and it’s usually a huge drop like if they claim 300k jobs it drops down to actually 140k jobs

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

It's all part time jobs too and for all I know they include gig work bullshit in there

Wow 5,000 people downloaded the Uber app and signed up as drivers, that's jobs

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

Plz don’t say this. You will summon Stancil and his dread legion of graphs

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Trabisnikof posted:

she covered a Beatles song, that’s how you know it’s a country album

She ruined a Dolly Parton song because she doesn’t understand nuance , she’s so loving boring these past few years

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I like jay z's choruses being all gently caress YOU, JOLENE; I HAVE MY QUEEN.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

wtf john bolton is bad again

https://twitter.com/DoctorHenryCT/status/1778169852508709285

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I always love when a pop star is like "I'm gonna put out a country album now" and writes the most surface level garbage and puts on a slight twang and calls it a day

if you're gonna really stretch yourself artistically work with like... The Handsome Family or something

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I can't find it with searches but someone in the last few weeks of the previous thread posted a graph, or a tweet with a graph, showing that it was like entirely part-time jobs being created, while full-time ones shrunk

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I always love when a pop star is like "I'm gonna put out a country album now" and writes the most surface level garbage and puts on a slight twang and calls it a day

if you're gonna really stretch yourself artistically work with like... The Handsome Family or something

I honestly want to hear the Beyonce+Gillian Welch+Abigail Washburn album that exists in another universe

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

once we hold our nose (sweaty) and elect biden, we won't be beholden to trump's draconian policies like this

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Willa will follow me around to like the 3 threads I post in in CSPAM just to be nasty which she views as "owning me".... I'm actually shocked that she hasn't shown up in the MLB or AFC East thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

History really does repeat itself

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Philly stays winning with a mass shooting event featuring more shooters than victims.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1777875666483998879

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

It sucks because my friend has been unemployed for over a year now, and there's nothing to tell him since it's very likely the only options are 1. high turnover burn-out job, 2. low-paying retail/service stuff, 3. try training for something completely different. I think he's in a rut at this point that is going to end with him moving back with his parents or something once he completely runs out of money. I doubt he's going to face reality until then. He's been doing these roofing sales, but it's obvious that isn't going to work out, at least with his personality (he's only sold like 2 in the last year).

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

if this were china that ceo would be loving dead lol

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
How does Beyonce's country album compare to St Vincent's bad funk album, is my question.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Gumball Gumption posted:

I honestly want to hear the Beyonce+Gillian Welch+Abigail Washburn album that exists in another universe

gently caress, so do i, that sounds incredible

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9t1bemN2Tg

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Al! posted:

its a thing

dudes rock

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

christ what an imbecile

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

npr
https://twitter.com/JosephWulfsohn/status/1777693694994321723

trump successfully opposes biden's police state policy
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1778076049701564439

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1778164154001461372

And they cannot ignore the hypocrisy of pundits who built their brand on opposing woke cancel culture cheering on the cancellation of Candace Owens for offending Shapiro’s fragile ethno-religious identity.
https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1778132117995606435

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1778124465852817621
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1778125199050694924

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1778129243139981447

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

making GBS threads on like the 2 most popular women in the country for incredibly dumb reasons doesn't strike me as an appealing argument to normie americans.

She's like a parody of woke poo poo from chris ruffo's brain.

Were you a gamergater, mcmagic? You're giving off big gamergate vibes