Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

pokeyman posted:

:shrug: it's a libbing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fried Watermelon posted:

How pathetic to claim benefits that you paid into

I mean he does admit he's an idiot in the song for not taking the benefits and instead making himself miserable working to death for some ignorant idea of freedom.

More or less miserable than the Corb Lund cavalry two-parter that uses the same melodic progression?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean he does admit he's an idiot in the song for not taking the benefits and instead making himself miserable working to death for some ignorant idea of freedom.

Its not the first time he's expressed an unwillingness to "accept handouts" as a matter of working class pride. The last song on Fogarty's Cove is a spoken word bit about a mine or factory closing up for good, and buddy bemoans his fate with the others at the bar, then goes home where his wife fiercely decries the idea of taking their package, depending instead on what they have saved, in order to move to Ontario for work.

Its a dumb idea (IMO) but there it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcvGgEckS6Q

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah he had and captured a very real attitude - not that pogey was great even in the days before Mulroney and Cretien destroyed it, nor was it a true longterm solution. It's also what his parents did iirc, move to Oshawa or wherever for factory jobs (dae remember factories??) which technically makes him an Ontario transplant lol

I would describe a lot of Rogers' songs as a mix of romantic and realistic views of the Maritimes. See Make and Break Harbour or Fishermans Wharf too. There were old days, maybe they were better in some ways, but even when theybwere at their best they were pretty mediocre

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Going on pogey is a rite of passage. That old attitude is slowly dying out east, but is strong in the west. People in Waterloo acted like I admitted to drunk driving when I said I'd been on EI.

Also free my rear end, I've paid into it nearly every 2 weeks since I was 14.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well perhaps it doesn't ring true as much these days 40 years on from Rogers. poo poo's getting progressively worse and that working man's pride counts for less and less in a country that would rather offer medical services to kill yourself than give you proper assistance or a living wage.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah he had and captured a very real attitude - not that pogey was great even in the days before Mulroney and Cretien destroyed it, nor was it a true longterm solution. It's also what his parents did iirc, move to Oshawa or wherever for factory jobs (dae remember factories??) which technically makes him an Ontario transplant lol

I would describe a lot of Rogers' songs as a mix of romantic and realistic views of the Maritimes. See Make and Break Harbour or Fishermans Wharf too. There were old days, maybe they were better in some ways, but even when theybwere at their best they were pretty mediocre

Yeah, gently caress everyone from out west moving to the maritimes for cheaper cost of living, but also we did really need an influx of money and people who aren't on death's door. I saw the writing on the wall when the potato plant in my old PEI farming village of 700 closed, it employed 300 people. The community died overnight and I got out. As much as I'd like to go back to houses being 50k, that was because people were destitute. My best friend growing up was beyond poor. His mom never worked, and his dad was lucky to find part time work in the summer, I think the most he made one year was like 20k, supporting a family of 6. He also refused to go on benefits, which my friend will never forgive him for. I don't want to go back to those days even if it means cheaper rent.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The median age in New Brunswick was, last I checked, around 49. Meanwhile the average life expectancy is dropping not because old people are living shorter lives but young people are dying.

This is quite a society we've built.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Within less than a decade a very significant percentage of NS doctors (like 20% iirc) will be retired lol and nobody has a plan for that lol, it's gonna rule. I also haven't had a family doctor in 12 years

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

Within less than a decade a very significant percentage of NS doctors (like 20% iirc) will be retired lol and nobody has a plan for that lol, it's gonna rule. I also haven't had a family doctor in 12 years

Come to PEI and experience the future first hand! We don't even have a walk in where I am, and the hospital closes the ER periodically (sometimes weekends, usually holidays). The cons destroyed the healthcare system here in an incredible way.

Multi day ER waits are becoming normal. Someone recently waited 36 hours to be seen, I think they had a broken leg, I forget.

edit: just checked, the current wait time for an urgent ER emergancy is 9-10 hours, with a disclaimer that wait times could be significantly longer due to staffing. There are currently 30 people there in need of care.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 23:00 on Apr 9, 2024

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Virtual Russian posted:

Come to PEI and experience the future first hand! We don't even have a walk in where I am, and the hospital closes the ER periodically (sometimes weekends, usually holidays). The cons destroyed the healthcare system here in an incredible way.

Multi day ER waits are becoming normal. Someone recently waited 36 hours to be seen, I think they had a broken leg, I forget.

Same thing happening here in Alberta. There was just an announcement yesterday about how they were only doing triage at the emergency room in Beaverlodge due to a lack of emerg doctors there.

Virtual Russian posted:

Going on pogey is a rite of passage. That old attitude is slowly dying out east, but is strong in the west. People in Waterloo acted like I admitted to drunk driving when I said I'd been on EI.

I recall a lot of folks I knew in the late 80s/early 90s in Ontario doing the summer tree planting/pogey rotation and their need to get forms signed off certifying they had "looked for work" on a regular basis.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tree planting was still going strong in the 00s too! I think half my buddies did it. The rest of us joined the army.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Virtual Russian posted:

Going on pogey is a rite of passage.

Whatre you doing wearing steel-toed boots at the beach?

Im ready and willing to work!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I tried to go on pogey during covid only to be told that one of the jobs I had been working did not count purely because they didn't bother withholding any money from paychecks to cover it
until that point I had figured they were legally obligated to do that but apparently it's just on an "if they feel like it" basis

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

and then alberta's finest comedian, captain tractor, can make a truely epic sequel to their song about being a pirate on teh mothafwiggin north saskatchewan river :xd:

i thought Albertas finest comedian is Nestor Pistor

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

and then alberta's finest comedian, captain tractor, can make a truely epic sequel to their song about being a pirate on teh mothafwiggin north saskatchewan river :xd:

*cups bands over mouth s d screams*

Arrogant worms did the song better!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
pogey owns, no no no yes no !

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

gently caress Chretien for making pogey only pay 50 percent of previous earnings

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

classic pei ei pi

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

its actually no no no yes yes no, now.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Virtual Russian posted:

i wonder how many people realize that when you take paternity/maternity leave you go on EI.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Arrogant worms did the song better!

Love their Toronto Sucks song

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Come And See posted:

Love their Toronto Sucks song

if you distilled bac0n and took a big sip it would taste like this song sounds, especially the part about how everywhere but Edmonton sucks. Alberta ftw!!!!!

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

is this a loving loss edit lol

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

ElehemEare posted:

it’s actually no no no yes yes no, now.

been a while since I was on the EI beach team

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

digitalist posted:

I suppose it's appropriate I'm asking in a Canada thread, but... can I get this as a gang tag?

Admins finally uploaded the image to the server so you can buy a title change and install it below your av gl goon

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

if you distilled bac0n and took a big sip it would taste like this song sounds, especially the part about how everywhere but Edmonton sucks. Alberta ftw!!!!!

Was making a joke about how Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie never get proper credit

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Come And See posted:

Was making a joke about how Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie never get proper credit

I did improv with one of them and it wasn't pleasant

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i saw this on the walk home and for some reason thought of this thread

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Dreylad posted:

i wonder how many people realize that when you take paternity/maternity leave you go on EI.

This hosed me up because to get my roe they wanted to pay out all my bank

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Isentropy posted:

gently caress Chretien for making pogey only pay 50 percent of previous earnings

chretien and martin hosed this country so hard we're still going downhill. but hey, they balanced the budget. mulroney's ghost wishes he could have been that effective

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
back in 2022 i lost a job that i'd had for five years. got four months of EI. fuckers.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

infernal machines posted:

i saw this on the walk home and for some reason thought of this thread

like hell i can't

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

stan for cattan

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Come And See posted:

I caught it don't worry

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Come And See posted:

I always thought they were the same guys

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Someone leaked Galen's markups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/rockyviewweekly/status/1778200552238698674?t=KaElUIVNqhVmKmD9brIxcA&s=19

Because of course.