Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/francis-ford-coppola-wild-megalopolis-plot-distributors-1235964635/

variety posted:

Sources noted that LaBeouf’s shaved eyebrows and physicality – used to punctuate his character – were more distracting than artful.

lol he's gonna bankrupt himself for the shittiest movie ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I told everybody it sounded tedious. And you disregarded it without checking to set it Shia Lebouf was in it first

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFRSjMbSaIs

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It sounds like ultimately what's blocking a deal is just that coppola wants 9 digits of marketing commitment from the studio and that's probably not happening. Probably he'll get over his old man self or I guess it'll go big at cannes and the studios will come crawling back

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
they definitely workshopped spitballs a bit. I'm impressed. it's still not quite there but it's not nearly as bad as the first one was.
they cut most of the frame narrative, which is... an interesting solution. instead of trying to improve it, just deemphasize it lol
it makes it feel a bit like nockforce? I assume nobody here knows what that was, but it was this old web cartoon where the dude basically just animated audio recordings of him and his friend bullshitting with each other. I remember liking nockforce. and the guy that made it went on to create o.k. k.o. for the cartoon network, so, not the worst guy in the world to seem like

and the conversation in this one is closer to what's actually entertaining about rlm's off-the-cuff pitches. the conversation feels more natural, like they're treating the pitch a little more straight-facedly, where in the first one you could tell they knew they were being silly and you kinda zone out. one of the boys' strengths is their production-mindedness- the angle that they come at things from tends to be sorta the turning gears of how a movie works and how it gets made. if they're going to reach a tv audience, I think that's a good secret sauce- they know enough about how movies work that when they do this it almost feels like they're describing a real movie

the animator is doing ok too
sometimes fan animators try a little too hard instead of working with the material. they'll like try to do a bit that's... not at odds with the material, per se, but commentating on it or else not having anything to do with it. breaking the hat on top of a hat rule. this dude seems to strike a better balance.
he did miss a couple tricks, I think. one of the most reliably funny gags with this kind of set up is when the described reality spontaneously changes to match its description from the frame narrative. so like when rich asked if it was a period piece set in the 70's, if they had not been depicted as 70's characters up until mike says sure, it'd be funnier. you can beat that joke into the loving dirt, it never gets old. drunk history got like 6 seasons out of it. animator guy almost nailed it in the bit where rich says "heroes... or love interests, whatever." if there was just a fraction more of a pause it'd be perfect. it's good, it just needed a little more breathing room
but it's just little stuff like that

from the first one, I would not have thought that it'd ever get picked up. but clearly they looked at what worked and didn't work and iterated a bit
it went from like no hope at all to "okay, I can actually see why they're still trying this, and it's not just sheer desperation, there is a nugget of potential here"
:words:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

It sounds like ultimately what's blocking a deal is just that coppola wants 9 digits of marketing commitment from the studio and that's probably not happening. Probably he'll get over his old man self or I guess it'll go big at cannes and the studios will come crawling back

man it's not even fun to root for his failure. as low as I can drag him, the studio dreck is always waiting at the bottom for me to shy away from

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

As we know the only guy getting 9 digits of marketing spend for R rated dark absurd genre defying nightmarish/tedious material is todd phillips. And coppola is no todd phillips (complimentary)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

good analysis. or at least it was aesthetically pleasing to read. I watched 3 seconds of the original animation and none of the second one but I assume this all tracks.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

kalel posted:

good analysis. or at least it was aesthetically pleasing to read. I watched 3 seconds of the original animation and none of the second one but I assume this all tracks.

lol

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was amused by the Spitballs, but I don't see it ever getting picked up for something beyond Youtube. Every terrible idea they make fun of is one potential actual project Hollywood might want to try eventually, or at the very least, a script that some nepobaby might want to sell to a studio where it can die before entering production. Obviously a bunch of nepobaby screenwriters don't want that happening.

It's probably better this way, whatever they put on youtube is going to be better than whatever comes back from some terrible studio executives with a bunch of notes.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I would so want to see the notes they were getting from adult swim that this was the premise they ended up with. It seems like a wildly bad match

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I was disappointed they didn't make a joke about them escaping to the strike animations, only for the bowling ball from those to still kill someone.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wiki says it's set between 3 and 4 so he wouldn't be dead yet!

Sword fighting and Ana De Armas definitely have me interested in it

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Prequels remain the best sign that a franchise is out of ideas and its time to check out.

I wasn't surprised when they did the whole young Winston show because you can do that cheaply with different actors, but I'm kind of disappointed that Keanu is staying involved now that the franchise is so obviously past it's expiration date. I guess if they're gonna write a big leading role check for anyone it should be him.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

So, about Spitballs possibly getting picked up by a network...

:sadday:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Prequels remain the best sign that a franchise is out of ideas and its time to check out.

But like half of the Godfather 2 is a prequel, and it's the best one!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mulva posted:

But like half of the Godfather 2 is a prequel, and it's the best one!

Flashbacks don't count. This doesn't apply to Back to the Future 2 either.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

he did miss a couple tricks, I think. one of the most reliably funny gags with this kind of set up is when the described reality spontaneously changes to match its description from the frame narrative. so like when rich asked if it was a period piece set in the 70's, if they had not been depicted as 70's characters up until mike says sure, it'd be funnier.

I noticed this too. The fun of a premise like this, if it's going to work* would be watching the animation jumping around along with their flights of fancy.

*It's not going to work, but, you know what I mean.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

So, about Spitballs possibly getting picked up by a network...

:sadday:

The world just isn’t ready for newgrounds flash animations from 2004

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

Even there the boys were beaten to the punch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=435-cRijW2I

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't get it, is 83k views in 5 hours bad?

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I enjoyed the Clerks animated series.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
everyone gets sucked into a dangerous video game, it was just like that movie, you know, cube?

no wait it was that one with malcolm in the middle where if you die in the game you die for real

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CaptainBeefart posted:

i did too. jay and silent bob work strangely well as "troublemakers"

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

CaptainBeefart posted:

It was excellent for what it was, although I haven't watched the episodes in over a decade by now. I watched it on tv when I was 12 and thought to myself "a show about clerks is a really great idea" and would have no idea that it was based on a movie until 2 years later when I saw that Clerks was on the AFI 100 years, 100 films list.

Future generations will never know what it was like to randomly discover stuff by watching network tv.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

kalel posted:

because he's so old!

got a hearing test done today and they said i had good hearing so that makes my paranoid rear end feel better

Cubone posted:

they definitely workshopped spitballs a bit. I'm impressed. it's still not quite there but it's not nearly as bad as the first one was.
they cut most of the frame narrative, which is... an interesting solution. instead of trying to improve it, just deemphasize it lol

if i was a streaming studio producer looking to pick up this show, i would have them only set up the frame narrative in the 1st ep and thats all you need, no reminders every ep because everyone has watched the 1st ep and gets it already, we've seen what theyve done with 15 years of half in the bag skits and they just dont have any more juice in that tank im afraid also i still have not watched the vid yet (not one of the 85k lol) so brb

hmmm i just dont think the boys are actors. anything not off the cuff has no charm or humor. and this whole concept feels out of a different time. not that thats inherently bad. well, at least they like doing it

Endless Trash posted:

yeah....

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
at least it got me remembering some good dangerous video game movies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbnqW0U7Zt4

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i love that part of mike's pitch for the script is to literally have lightning strike twice

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I don't get it, is 83k views in 5 hours bad?

It's so over, you don't even know!

Also, Netflix made a black-and-white adaptation of Talented Mister Ripley as a miniseries. So I would say Spitballs has a great chance of getting network backing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Adult Swim is gonna pick this up guys

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

Oh great, someone else for you to tag with instead of me. :rolleyes:

We could always form a faction!

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just saw that the final season of star trek discovery started. This is how you dump a contractually obligated series.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ultimately adult swim is usually more of a weed and screaming thing. Booze and muttering seems hard for them to break into

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
what if lightning struck a manxx tt super bike cabinet and you got sucked in and had to listen to this guys voice for the rest of your life https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3COGmT4i0

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think Adult Swim is gonna pick this up guys

It can easily be on Adult Swim Smalls. Like this thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtN0dr-GZs4

Or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bza8pSqPgJc

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I'm sorry to say both these are better than Spitballs

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Spitballs more like shitballs!

(Did anyone else already say that??)

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
id rather have a hooker spit on my balls than watch this!

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
*then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Groovelord Neato posted:

A New Hope is a rip off of Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress so it's probably safe to say Obi-Wan's name is supposed to sound Japanese. He was originally some kind of rat creature so we would've got the prequels alien racism a lot earlier if they'd gone through with that.

this is what they stole from us