Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

It's uncanny. They're just like us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

homeless snail posted:

either thats true or I dreamed it. can't say

I thought it was just a blatant ripoff with the enemy bombs etc until the Evil Empire logo popped up at the end.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

homeless snail posted:

jordan mechner died

No he didn't.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you sure

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

hey wait no he didn't you stupid slug, you worried me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh sorry I was thinking of emily willis

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

i was thinking of emily dickinson

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

Emily Dickinson, ? def thinking of bruce dickinson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxnN05vOuSM
Bruce Dickinson

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 10, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the coolest weapons in edf4 are on the mecha suit class but the movement speed is so slow it feels like you basically have to use up 2 of your weapon slots to do the dash-attack-cancel tech if you wanna play any level without getting annoyed at how long it takes to get anywhere.
so you only get 2 slots left to play with

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Quackles posted:

No he didn't.

He did, but because he was close to a blue flame he came back right after that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the coolest weapons in edf4 are on the mecha suit class but the movement speed is so slow it feels like you basically have to use up 2 of your weapon slots to do the dash-attack-cancel tech if you wanna play any level without getting annoyed at how long it takes to get anywhere.
so you only get 2 slots left to play with

a Blasthole Spear + Reflector can dash-cancel, and is still strong as gently caress against almost anything with a ranged attack in 4.1; king spiders just melt if you reflect their webs back at them

the Reflectors sadly got a major nerf in 5 but with so many improvements to other weapons it's all good

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Gonna wait for wow classic classic to come out

That's how progression servers work. I'm pretty sure Everquest has several servers each set to a different expansion on rotation. WoW Classic moving into that direction is a pretty easy call to make.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

It's uncanny. They're just like us.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Runa posted:

That's how progression servers work. I'm pretty sure Everquest has several servers each set to a different expansion on rotation. WoW Classic moving into that direction is a pretty easy call to make.

Doesnt that spread out the playerbase and eventually kill the whole point of an mmo?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Getting back to Death Stranding, just finished da big Port Knot delivery. This game can be pretty exhausting for a walking sim!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jay Rust posted:

Doesnt that spread out the playerbase and eventually kill the whole point of an mmo?

Classic is a very different experience from any other version of WoW. Even WotlK had most of the EQ/DikuMUD edges scraped off by then.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

not really. the people playing progression servers are generally not the people playing live, what server you're on in most mmos is largely irrelevant now, and also you can just consolidate them if it's really a problem

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think Blizzard is still planning on keeping Wrath classic servers around right? kinda like they still have Classic, and TBC servers going, but they are not the primary focus now since they are finished with updates.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No I mean, if we have say a WotlK server and a Burning Crusade server going at the same time, doesn’t that effectively cut the vanilla playerbase in half right there

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I will play eq p99 every couple of years but have zero interest in any part of eq released after like, 2001

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

No I mean, if we have say a WotlK server and a Burning Crusade server going at the same time, doesn’t that effectively cut the vanilla playerbase in half right there
the classic classic server is a different thing now, that's going to appeal to a different base than the cata tlp server. there's overlap here but mostly they're expanding the player base

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jay Rust posted:

No, because they are very different games to a WoW player.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For me personally, if I have desire to play one of the classic WoW eras, its going to be Wrath Classic. That was my favorite era of WoW and I have no desire to play any content beyond that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
EQ was never near as popular as WoW and my brother still plays it on a shard with people he's known for 20+ years. They still have a raid schedule and will mulitbox like 5 characters. It's a level of micromanagement that I have nightmares about, personally but it takes all kinds.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just looked and eq1 has 24 official servers right now, 10 of them are some kind of progression or classic. and then there's p99 and all the eqemu servers. number of people that are interested in playing eq is definitely vastly smaller than wow, and they're doing fine

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok i think i understand. So we should assume that there's always going to be enough players per expac server to make it not look like a dead mall.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't think anyone is assuming anything. No one's clamouring for Warlords of Draenor classic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Ok i think i understand. So we should assume that there's always going to be enough players per expac server to make it not look like a dead mall.

Or rather even a dead mall can attract enough customers to stay open if the only rent you need to worry about are your servers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most expansions have at least one active private server. wrath, tbc, and vanilla had the most but theres cata, mists, etc ones with decent populations. those all manage to exist and have decent playerbases, official ones can too.

however theres barely any work done on emulating warlords. only one server exists and it barely works and is super buggy. genuinely going tobe funny when they get to that one

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

one thing i found kinda fascinating was that the process for creating private EQ servers like p99 was apparently way less straightforwards than for something like ragnarok online or WoW. since the game was so ancient by the point where people could run whole game servers by themselves trivially, there'd been almost no packet scraping done and information from the past eras wasn't always consistently archived on allahkazam, so the people making the emulator had to do a full-on archaeological expedition into old dead forums and wayback machine snapshots to try and figure out how certain mechanics were intended to work or what the values for spells/items were supposed to have been in that expac

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

theres still eq stuff that people argue about what is actually legitimately Classic

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
true norrathian classic everquest

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

haveblue posted:

true norrathian classic everquest

true everquest for true norrathians

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Everquest Online Adventures is peak everquest.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I worked on EverQuest 2 for a summer. That was weird times.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

I said come in! posted:

Everquest Online Adventures is peak everquest.

Time to beat the dragon

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mutata posted:

not a game I care a great deal for but thank you for your contributions to the world of norrath

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If everquest next was called world of norrath it would’ve been a success

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

what do you mean that's how fast travel works in death stranding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

mutata posted:

Do you know how /pizza came about by any chance?

Edit: Some long-standing EQ fan posted a series of videos on YouTube a while back where he tracked down some of the original devs and spent several hours interviewing them about the game's development. It was genuinely really informative and eye-opening in a lot of ways; there's one point where they talk about how the engine was re-purposed from some old flight simulator and the devtools they stitched together were so insanely lovely that its a miracle they were able to finish making any maps at all.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 11, 2024