Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

just had a random thought about Winners at War, how it's sort of funny that they didn't think their Extinction Island winner was worth bringing back but then they still brought back Extinction Island. so they're like this twist produces bad winners that we don't want. Let's use this twist again

(obviously I think that was because if they were bringing back all these legends they wanted to make sure they/the audience got their moneys worth, but still

way too big a of a theory to make based on post-season contestant vibes this season: kind of wondering if Venus beats all of her tribe but then none of them vote for her at the end or something. There seems to be mutual bitterness and Hunter's midseason interview went to pains to both say "we totally would've worked with Venus" (ie you shouldn't have voted us out) but also "Venus kind of sucked" (ie thats why we didn't vote for her). and then she was pissed off and slammed the interview (because she lost).

I think they actually wanted that winner lol, but they were unable to participate because it would've been short-notice and it was like, during their honeymoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think you could replace Nick Wilson with virtually any other young male winner and it would have been a better season.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Ben should've probably been Mike H, or like, i dunno, a rock.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They gave Ben like 15 idols of course they would give him a returner slot.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

yeah IIRC a handful of other winners were asked and had to turn it down

they didn't fuckin ask Vecepia though

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

They gave Ben like 15 idols of course they would give him a returner slot.

Yeah but imagine if instead Ben was like, three coconuts, the fire that burned Skupin, or absolutely nothing. Would've really helped the season.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Ideally I would've cut Ben from 35, Wendell from 36 and Nick from 37 and replaced them with Mike, Earl and Todd respectively, but those last two couldn't do it and CBS has a massive hard-on for Ben.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Finishing Pearl Islands tonight. What to watch next? I hear Heroes vs Villains and Micronesia are good but they have returning survivors. I think I saw some seasons to watch to lead into one of them, maybe it was Micronesia since I think Parvati is on there?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why do I still watch this garbage

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
Not sure, all of your posts in this thread are complaining so I’m not sure what you’re expecting at this point

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Cheer up everyone they haven't done this challenge in awhile. Show's fixed, baby!

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

blue squares posted:

Why do I still watch this garbage

What ruffled you feller

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

RandomHodge posted:

Not sure, all of your posts in this thread are complaining so I’m not sure what you’re expecting at this point

Posting in anger is more fun!

fps_nug posted:

What ruffled you feller

I just hate the random tribe swaps that only happen for one episode.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I thought Q was going to like Ben’s calm but nope. I guess just never talk to Q lol, he’ll decide you need to go no matter what. Noo you like Aubrey?! You gotta go!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

I thought Q was going to like Ben’s calm but nope. I guess just never talk to Q lol, he’ll decide you need to go no matter what. Noo you like Aubrey?! You gotta go!

lol

I had to read this post out loud to my wife. She loved it

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Venus is playing twice as hard as she should be and getting into trouble, Tevin is inexplicably targeting Soda, and Liz is just laying there like she’s dying all the while. and it’s working for her

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They should clearly vote out Soda btw. The gaping chasm between Venus and Tevin ought to be preserved. Tevin wants to make a huge mistake here and vote Soda and they should let him.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

They should clearly vote out Soda btw. The gaping chasm between Venus and Tevin ought to be preserved. Tevin wants to make a huge mistake here and vote Soda and they should let him.

He voted Venus lol

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

But Liz voted Soda… So was Tevin just jury pandering? Hard to see Liz going rogue if he tried to pull her back to voting Venus..

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed Q micromanaging an Alphabet game into chaos. I think they call that foreshadowing? Or a personality flaw?

I think I watched this episode two or three times in how much I rewinded segments. I just couldn’t keep track of what or why everyone was gaming the way they are. Kenzie seems to be doing an excellent job integrating into the whole so at least Q was right to peg her as a threat way back when. I’m sure there’s some other solid players in there like Ben or Maria. But man everyone is just all over the place and playing so hard.

The split tribe thing certainly makes it worse. Which is obviously by design so everyone can’t just settle into their numbers and you can actually get the nerve up to try a 3 person flip or something. But man it’s messy.

Edit: also amusing seeing Tevin so put out Venus was getting the juice for taking out Soda.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 11, 2024

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ok ep

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

STAC Goat posted:

The split tribe thing certainly makes it worse. Which is obviously by design so everyone can’t just settle into their numbers and you can actually get the nerve up to try a 3 person flip or something. But man it’s messy.

Edit: also amusing seeing Tevin so put out Venus was getting the juice for taking out Soda.

Which is really weird from an editing perspective since he voted for Venus and not Soda. I think he even still has the extra vote from the first journey, so whatever Tevin is after isn't really clear to me.

Kenzie got probably the most glowing episode anyone with her pre-merge could have gotten. Whatever Bhanu might have said to bury her during his Journey has probably blown over and they want us to get used to her being around.

There were a handful of pretty funny moments in this episode but I still don't really like this cast's vibes overall.

Probst triple-tapping the long-dead Jelinsky to go along with the episode title just feels excessive

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He voted for Soda in case she played her Shot, it’s the exact same as Charlie voting for Moriah last episode. Only difference is Soda didn’t use it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’d guess Tevin just felt like he did the work to target Soda. Whether he decided not to take the shot and was beat to the punch by Venus or he was casting some safety vote just in case. He felt it was his kill and clearly didn’t like Venus getting the credit.

Tevin seems destined to make some big dramatic move to prove he’s running the game and then be taken out the next week. I’d say the same for Q but I’m not sure he can get it together enough.

And I think the show just kind of definitely wants us to move on and forgive the 3 purples for any lovely behavior they had with Bhanu. I’m not sure the show ever really intended them to come off as villainous as they came off to me but so much as they did it definitely seems chalked up to the stress and emotion of losing.

Not that I necessarily buy that. Q is clearly still controlling and condescending and Kenzie has always been pegged as a very savvy social player. They just want us to forgive and forget that time they were kinda bullying Bhanu.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 11, 2024

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Poque posted:

He voted for Soda in case she played her Shot, it’s the exact same as Charlie voting for Moriah last episode. Only difference is Soda didn’t use it.

What? He being Tevin? Voted for Venus, not Soda.

STAC Goat posted:

They just want us to forgive and forget that time they were kinda bullying Bhanu.

And Jess, and to an extent Jelinsky even if he kinda brought it on himself

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
“Venus did you do this?”
“N…yes! Yes I did!”

Lol Venus is so entertaining to me.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I get that Tim never seemed to have interest in the exile alliance but still how do you explain this to Maria, who knows about it and just had her person in it go out? Why didn’t they just vote Ben? I mean you can offer Maria the opportunity to bring someone else in i guess, she liked Charlie more anyway, but idk

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

I get that Tim never seemed to have interest in the exile alliance but still how do you explain this to Maria, who knows about it and just had her person in it go out? Why didn’t they just vote Ben? I mean you can offer Maria the opportunity to bring someone else in i guess, she liked Charlie more anyway, but idk

I think to the yanu 3, or at least Q, it was too many strikes from Tim. He initially doesn't hold up his end and inform Maria about the 6, then is shown not to even be that tight with Maria, and when asked who to target he throws a name of the person who is supposed to be part of the 6 and shows zero (at least from what we saw) flexibility on it. From Q's perspective, that's probably more than enough red flags that this guy isn't serious about working with you and is probably better gone sooner than later.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Personally i think Kenzie and Tiffany have pulled ahead of Maria for my winner prediction. I dont think Maria is as hidden as we think she is.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
After a garbage pre-jury and mergatory this was the first actual good episode of the season so far. I'm surprised a split tribal went that well. The gameplay is a mess but that makes it enjoyable.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

mp5 posted:

What? He being Tevin? Voted for Venus, not Soda.

Sorry, that’s what I meant. His vote was in case of a successful shot in the target. He was def annoyed about the credit going to Venus, heh.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rick posted:

“Venus did you do this?”
“N…yes! Yes I did!”

Lol Venus is so entertaining to me.

Just finished the episode now, and it's hilarious that Venus is convinced that she is the one to arrange the blindside. She did independently come up with it, but completely unaware that the rest were already working on the same plan without any involvement from her.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I was already leaning this way, but I'm now almost 100% Venus is our zero-vote finalist (as well as the person whose personality has already lost them the game that Jeff foreshadowed in episode 1).

I was on the fence about whether I should drop Q from my roster for Charlie or Liz, and I'm pretty sure at this point I should have. Charlie I can see getting clipped to 'weaken' Maria. Liz feels like she's gonna slide right through to like final 6 and then suddenly everyone's going to give a bunch of confessionals about how dangerous she is and she'll go out at the beginng of the finale.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
venus and q are the funniest players this game has seen in a long time and god i wish we got more like them. the venus/tevin/soda beef and q with kenzie/tiff feels like a sanitised gabon or nicaragua it's amazing

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Lol at the confessionals in a row going
"Charlie is the easy vote, it's 2 siga and 4 Nami, BUT"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Leatherhead posted:

I was on the fence about whether I should drop Q from my roster for Charlie or Liz, and I'm pretty sure at this point I should have. Charlie I can see getting clipped to 'weaken' Maria. Liz feels like she's gonna slide right through to like final 6 and then suddenly everyone's going to give a bunch of confessionals about how dangerous she is and she'll go out at the beginng of the finale.

Ah crap I forgot to update my roster for the merge. I blame the copious amount of painkillers I've been on the last week.

I saw a take on reddit about how the editors are probably robbing us of way more drama at camp because this cast seems to absolutely hate each other and I'm pretty sure it's true. Show me the BEEF, cowards.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Polderjoch posted:

venus and q are the funniest players this game has seen in a long time and god i wish we got more like them. the venus/tevin/soda beef and q with kenzie/tiff feels like a sanitised gabon or nicaragua it's amazing

Liz proudly announcing that she's not brought her bag and then that she's staying Nami strong and voting for Soda and.... I don't know why Liz is so funny to me but she's right up in there.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

curiousCat posted:

Liz proudly announcing that she's not brought her bag and then that she's staying Nami strong and voting for Soda and.... I don't know why Liz is so funny to me but she's right up in there.

She and kenzie are two of my favorites so far

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

curiousCat posted:

I forget Liz exists but she's definitely up there too yeah. She's in such a good spot and is rightfully pretty confident but the way the edit has given us nothing from her is incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Liz is weird. On one hand her personality up to this point is being "lol, I'm rich" but not necessarily being an rear end about it. And yet she's also been completely low key in the edit, but she's also been good at hiding her cards and completely looped in on the votes. All together it is both an odd and amusing mix. I'm also curious to see how much more an active part she plays going forward.