Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
federalism was such a mistake lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I am so tired of living in Alberta.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Tyranny of the rurals.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

apatheticman posted:

Tyranny of the rurals.

they have that rural alberta advantage

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

apatheticman posted:

Someone leaked Galen's markups.

20% except for a garlic spread does not seem that egregious, guessing they chose to leak this particular page to show what good guys they are.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
arent they always saying their profit margins are like a razor thing 2 percent or some bullshit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RBC posted:

arent they always saying their profit margins are like a razor thing 2 percent or some bullshit

their markup isn't their profit

i mean, it's not like they're paying the staff much, but maybe they get soaked on rent...

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

RBC posted:

The razor thin profits thing is bullshit obviously, their own reports disprove it. But like yeah, their expenses all come out of that markup too.

50% or higher markup is pretty normal for a lot of things. My labour, when billed to a customer, is marked up 300% on what my employer pays me for it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Glimpse posted:

My labour, when billed to a customer, is marked up 300% on what my employer pays me for it.

do you make food

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i don't know if farmers bill by the hour.

actually, i guess the tfw labour is probably hourly

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i saw this on the walk home and for some reason thought of this thread

this is canada. we are the staple thesis. we can romanticize any raw resource b*tch!

i don't know if farmers bill by the hour.

actually, i guess the tfw labour is probably hourly

definitely hourly and definitely skirting maximum hours/week and minimum wage laws

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

honest question: is real estate a staple?

Dreylad posted:

definitely hourly and definitely skirting maximum hours/week and minimum wage laws

oh naturally, i assume wage theft is the norm

i was thinking they maybe could be paid by harvested weight or some other thing that should be blatantly illegal but isn't because agriculture

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
no but the way things are going you'll be able to buy real estate at Staples

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

let me know when the green belt goes on sale

i'm a value shopper

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

let me know when the green belt goes on sale

just stop by winners

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih0tJeKB3PY&t=3s

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Bleck posted:

do you make food

I don't make anything but bad posts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sure, but you make it up in volume

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i markup my poo poo posts by 300%

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Dreylad posted:

that does kind of seem like the death knell of the people's party, although I assume the conservatives have been rolling up their support for a while now

Yeah. Can anyone who pays more attention than I do to the righties weigh in on this? The pp's grew their vote share in the last election but I assume that's because O'Toole didn't try to court them as hard as Pollivere is currently

Tories don't necessarily need the PP's if the grit vote stays home, but you'd think they wouldn't want to risk losing a fourth time in a row to JT.

Glimpse posted:

the gently caress is the ndp even for anymore

Centrists too disappointed with the libs and leftists too skeptical of the greens/commies

Been that way since before I was born afaik

cock hero flux posted:

lol

wasn't the NDP talking about abolishing the military entirely a few years back?

I highly doubt that

In the immortal words of my Scot ancestors, I've got wood for a sheep

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Bilirubin posted:

Admins finally uploaded the image to the server so you can buy a title change and install it below your av gl goon

Thanks! Will repeat my offer for 5$ gift certificates for anyone who wants to join the gang, which might be more a reflection of how few people I think will take me up on it than generosity. :quebec:

And to contribute something, I went ahead and translated the whole thing, normally would have just pulled out an interesting passage but since the original article is in French, figured I'd just do the whole thing and share it.

https://www.ledevoir.com/politique/canada/810673/liberaux-conservateurs-sauvent-serment-roi-ottawa

quote:

Liberals and Conservatives save the King's Oath in Ottawa
Marco Bélair-Cirino
6-7 minutes

Liberal and Conservative elected officials - starting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Official Opposition Leader Pierre Poilievre- are joining forces to maintain the oath of allegiance to King Charles III as a sine qua non condition for sitting in the House of Commons or Senate.

On Wednesday afternoon, 196 of them and one independent opposed the detailed examination by a parliamentary committee of Bill C-347, introduced by René Arseneault, Liberal MP for Madawaska-Restigouche.

God Save the King " and applause resounded through the House of Commons after the result of the vote was announced: For 113, Against 197.
The 38 Liberals, 31 Bloc Québécois, 24 New Democrats, 17 Conservatives, two Greens and one Independent, who supported the idea of making the oath to the King optional, came up short.

With his proposed "An Act to amend the Constitution Act, 1867 (oath of office)", René Arseneault once again sought to allow appointees to the Canadian Parliament to take an "oath of office" - whereby they would swear that they would perform their duties "in the best interests of Canada and in accordance with its Constitution" - "instead of", or in addition to, the "oath of allegiance" to His Majesty King Charles III.

"I want to reassure my colleagues that Bill C-347 is not intended to divide monarchists and republicans; it is in no way intended to abolish the monarchy in Canada. Even before introducing this bill for first reading last June, I made sure that making this modest but important change would not cause a constitutional storm in the country," said the Acadian politician when he introduced his bill on January 31.

Government House Leader Steven MacKinnon allowed Liberal MPs to vote as they saw fit, with the exception of Cabinet members, who were expected to vote as a block against the initiative of fellow New Brunswicker René Arseneault, who deplores the fact that he is still required to swear allegiance to the British sovereign more than 260 years after the Deportation of the Acadians under the orders of British colonial authorities (1755 and 1763).

While Mr. Arseneault did not win the support of the Trudeau government, he did win the support of all Bloc, NDP and Green parties, as well as most Quebec Liberal and Conservative MPs.

Allegiance "to the principle of democracy
The Constitution Act, 1867, requires all Members of Parliament and Senators to swear an oath or make a solemn affirmation of allegiance or loyalty to the Sovereign before they can sit and vote.

"When a deputy pledges allegiance to the sovereign, he or she also pledges allegiance to the institutions represented by the sovereign, and in particular to the principle of democracy. In so doing, the deputy pledges to serve the best interests of the country. The oath he takes, or the solemn affirmation he makes, serves to remind him of the full weight of the obligations and responsibilities he assumes," reads House of Commons Procedure and Practice.

On Wednesday morning, Immigration Minister Marc Miller recalled that "French, Acadian, Scottish and Irish blood runs in [his] veins". He had therefore taken note of Bill C-347, which would allow people to sit without necessarily swearing allegiance to the King of the United Kingdom, with "feelings that come from [his] past", he had said, before specifying that he would nevertheless vote against Bill C-347.

Even though his name is "extremely Irish" and his grandfather fought in the Irish War of Independence, Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan refused to share his thoughts on making the oath to King Charles III optional: "I have a lot of thoughts, but I don't feel like sharing them," he told reporters before the vote. He also opposed further consideration of Bill C-347.

"The priority for me is just to build housing," said Sean Fraser, Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities.

Rendering optional a pledge of allegiance to a Monarch would jeopardize democracy? Ok, sure, why not.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

people are right to be skeptical of the green party

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Glimpse posted:

The razor thin profits thing is bullshit obviously, their own reports disprove it. But like yeah, their expenses all come out of that markup too.

50% or higher markup is pretty normal for a lot of things. My labour, when billed to a customer, is marked up 300% on what my employer pays me for it.

Ok, I worked for Sobeys for nearly a decade, spending a good chunk in admin, specifically pricing. The margins are historically razor thin, but the whole industry is built to operate that way. That is how it was, and it really should be that way. Its food, we all need to eat, it isn't a luxury. Sobeys started pushing prices up past the rate of inflation over a decade ago, think back to when peanut butter went from like 7.99 to 12.99 overnight. I remember thinking people would riot. If you normally operate thin and find yourself in a quasi-monopoly you could jack up prices, raise the margin, and really make some record profits.

apatheticman posted:

Someone leaked Galen's markups.

Lol, do people think this is some smoking gun? What is going on here?

This looks like the dairy departments invoice from the warehouse. I can't say for loblaws, but at Sobeys the warehouse was a separate entity also owned by Sobeys (most of the time). If Loblaws is doing the same as Sobeys, that document exists to transfer inventory with a bonus tax break by splitting profits up between supply chain stops.

Also you don't want to judge prices in the dairy as being normal. Dairy prices are weird, some items priced like luxuries, others are loss leaders that must be cheap or families won't shop there. Milk can even be regulated, I dealt with that in NB. Generally margins are lower than average as the entire supply chain is in Canada (for now). You don't have consistency of pricing like in proper full departments.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

mediaphage posted:

been sayin it

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

:catte:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Julien Coulombe-Bonnafous

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Juul-Whip posted:

Julien Coulombe-Bonnafous

is this British Columbia in french?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Blood Boils posted:

Yeah. Can anyone who pays more attention than I do to the righties weigh in on this? The pp's grew their vote share in the last election but I assume that's because O'Toole didn't try to court them as hard as Pollivere is currently

That is the point of the PP party: Splinter for being "too extreme", round up a bunch of lunatics, mainstream them, and then have the leader abdicate for the nearest tory. This is their second kick at that cat in recent memory, the first being Preston Manning's CRAP party

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I think this very thread was talking about how people applying for citizenship are required to pledge allegiance as part of the ceremony, and how this was challenged in Canada's supreme court, which ruled that it didn't violate the charter because you're not required to mean it.

Surely the same loophole applies here?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

mediaphage posted:

diffusing responsibility ftw

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Glimpse posted:

it's insane this is considered normal. someone is getting rich off your labour and it's not you.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the rents are too dang high

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
50 markup on things at shoppers and stuff is normal, where their business model is "have a million skus and sell small quantities of each"... On groceries definitely not but again the more skus you have the higher markup you need to cover costs.

For reference, Costco does not allow markups above 14% and sub 10% is the norm. That might look like a big difference but they are selling 10x as much volume on any given item as a traditional grocer, and don't need to support a chipotle mayochup that gets a bunch of returns and rots on the shelf.

So yeah, I don't see a big smoking gun with those markups at all. The biggest difference is a volume retailer will adjust their markups lower once a sku is consistently profitable to drive more sales. Where I'm sure a company like Loblaws who considers their market captive would be more likely to look at a hot seller and milk a couple more % out of it because it still sells.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I once worked for a small business with a very sophisticated way of calculating markups: when we received a new item, the owner would take the unit cost we had paid for it, get out his calculator, type *2.2, and make that the sale price.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
The last straw was housing? The only reason we need federal money for housing is because you won't fund any!

I hate living in Alberta. I hate being a doctor in Alberta. I'd move but it looks like every other province is equally hosed.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

fisting by many posted:

I think this very thread was talking about how people applying for citizenship are required to pledge allegiance as part of the ceremony, and how this was challenged in Canada's supreme court, which ruled that it didn't violate the charter because you're not required to mean it.

Surely the same loophole applies here?

Ah, the "my fingers were crossed" defence

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Albino Squirrel posted:

I hate living in Alberta. I hate being a doctor in Alberta. I'd move but it looks like every other province is equally hosed.
There are three territories!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

they're all hosed in uniquely different ways. it's called choice

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hmmm as a child I didn't think to pledge allegiance but very sarcastically. Lost opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol 30 year mortgages to pay for first time homeowners. Thanks Freeland I wasn't planning on moving anywhere for the rest of my life.*

*Joke's on her i'll never be able to afford home ownership.