Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I still love my Qorvex but I wish he had an armor strip built in to the pillars or the wall, instead of having to choose which of those is going to be replaced by Pillage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Just imagine if they hadn't nerfed shattering impact it could be a viable option, allowing you to have more use in your melee and also freeing up some room for other helminth skills. If only they hadn't made it a piece of poo poo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shattering impact doesn't really work with his plan of lining people up and shooting a beam through them. I've actually started running tharros strike on qorvex lately. It's a lower power investment for full strip and less of an energy hog than pillage, though it would be nice if its range was longer, and qorvex doesn't need to build that much range on his own so it doesn't really get buffed either.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like DE's take away from this is going to be that they have to err on the side of underpowered when releasing new frame because the community is going to lose it's poo poo if they nerf even a blindingly obviously OP frame.
DE doesn't appear to think about "power". They seem to be marriage between ambitious artists and coders that like pulling off wild concepts. The community comes off as bored and a nerf is something to get energized about. After 4 years of playing, there isn't a rhyme or reason in how they release stuff other than the three pillars of no automation, dominance, or disruption. Some frames come out weak, some come out strong.

SIGSEGV posted:

Just imagine if they hadn't nerfed shattering impact it could be a viable option, allowing you to have more use in your melee and also freeing up some room for other helminth skills. If only they hadn't made it a piece of poo poo.
But then the meta would be using melee for armor strip and players/devs would feel like shattering impact is required. Which is something DE tries to avoid. We've been down this road before with gunblades and I doubt that will be repeated.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

OTOH gunblades feel like poo poo to use and people will use other melees anyway.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like DE's take away from this is going to be that they have to err on the side of underpowered when releasing new frame because the community is going to lose it's poo poo if they nerf even a blindingly obviously OP frame.

That was their take back in 2020, and it's a pretty good take. The nerf cycle and everything that surrounds it is significantly worse than just having a week or two of an underperforming new release.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

At least this should give them a good sense of the upper boundary of numbers to balance around: Does the character generate 40k overguard? Ok that's probably about enough. Can they do a billion damage with a perfect setup? Ok let's stop there for the day!

The idea of what the upper bound should be is difficult to define given they're continuously ramping difficulty. I like that part of it (even if I hate random frames/guns) but everyone is doing different things and there's so many things.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chumbler posted:

Us concrete man and caliban players didn't complain when they came out and their skills do basically nothing. Spoiled rear end book man players! Oh no, we got nerfed from being unkillable and doing infinite damage to being unkillable and doing infinite damage, this is the greatest pain anyone has ever suffered.

lmao rip Caliban, what a goose egg of a grind reward

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FunkyFjord posted:

lol the damage build is the survivability build

You could toss in adaptation or rolling guard or health or shields or defensive focus skills but why tho?

E: vvv I mean Kullervo still does dummy damage too, I don't think that's much of a thing we have to worry about, Dante was just lazy and unkillable and status immune.

Still love our silly book wizard man.

I just want to know what part of their build prevented them from pressing 2 2 4.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

When you are going on automatic because you're immortal you might forget to push the immortality buttons before they run out.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Runa posted:

lmao rip Caliban, what a goose egg of a grind reward

Speaking of grindframes, is Dagath "good" or at least "worth doing this Vainthorn poo poo a billion times" ? I never see her in play.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm planning on doing that grind at least a bit this weekend, if you're so inclined.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

SIGSEGV posted:

Shattering Impact still works the same on everything except Eximus, so you just want to pair it with Melee Exposure or mod corrosive on the weapon. Shattering Impact strips armor in a few hits from everything but Eximus, and the corrosive procs work on Eximus. Corrosive procs aren't effective on Acolytes because of the 4 proc cap, and take longer on most enemies vs Shattering Impact, so this covers both bases.

I wound up changing out 2 emerald archon shards, for 1 Tau. Having a max of 13 corrosive procs reduces armor by 98%, the Corrosive damage itself then ignores 75% of the remaining armor (so they are damaged by Corrosive as if 99.5% stripped), and you get the 1.75x damage multiplier from the Corrosive weakness bonus when the Eximus is still armored.

Speaking of grindframes, is Dagath "good" or at least "worth doing this Vainthorn poo poo a billion times" ? I never see her in play.

I played her a few missions and wasn't feeling it at all.

However! Her subsume is excellent. Wyrd Scythes are auto-targeting and one cast will slam max or near max viral on nearby enemies, they slow enemies with the same strength cap as Gloom, while NOT turning off your energy regeneration like Gloom will. With some accessible sources of energy regen (Wellspring, Energy Nexus, Energy Siphon, Archon Stretch, Exodia Brave, Rally Point on a player or specter) that's an awful lot of regen opportunities you forfeit with Gloom. And the Viral doesn't interfere with your weapon weighting like Nourish does, which is better if you're running Slash weapons.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 11, 2024

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, I already combo them, I'm just annoyed at what was a simple and easy solution taking more effort and, let's be honest, a 30k rep a pop adapter to solve.

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015

Dagath doesn't outclass every other frame or delete the whole room like some frames do, but she's solid. Cast her 3 to have bonus critical damage/get out of death free card pretty much permanently. Prime enemies with 2 to give them the Doom effect from Hades, extend doom with her sickles from 1, and send in the horses with 4 to strip armor and do a truckload of damage. She's kind of a weapons platform frame but she does it well.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah she's a little bit like a weapons platform that has good skills regardless of whatever weapons you put on her, and she has pretty decent survivability. Like Waffle and Zero said she doesn't laughably instantly delete rooms or huge aoes, and she isn't proc'ing damage through walls effortlessly like a Saryn, etc, but she's over all pretty solid and looks cool. Both of her helms are excellent and she's a crit platform, so totally worth getting imo.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

She seems cool but she behaves like she's got a hole in her head. :rolleyes:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
lol, Ash is S+ tier now.

Apparently with the Dante patch they added an auxiliary to Invisible frames to let you be translucent while invisible, or to be opaque and glow like Wisp.

But Ash can still cast Smoke Shadow, which means everyone else in the party gets forced completely invisible, while you can be glowy. Solipsism Mode Engage!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I like Dagath a lot. She doesn't have a lot of utility but like a mix of saryn and sevagoth. There's an explosiveness to her that's enjoyable. She's a feeling more so than mechanics. Disappointing she can't ride a horse as a movement ability.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

she's up there with kullervo in being absolutely busted but is less obvious than kullervo in just how busted she is.

the main thing you need to know is that her 2 is a massive damage multi and converts all of your damage to true damage, her 3 makes you immortal and gives infinite energy with equilibrium and her 4 strips and kills anything in front of you.

she has everything a frame could want and no weaknesses or holes in her kit outside of the one in her head. you can use her as a gunframe or just sling abilities and both will work in any mission and enemy level.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Dagath is squishy though. I use her weapon for the heal but she seems to get in trouble at high level. You need the 3 and then have 21 seconds to pray nothing else kills you.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

temple posted:

Dagath is squishy though. I use her weapon for the heal but she seems to get in trouble at high level. You need the 3 and then have 21 seconds to pray nothing else kills you.
gotta build her for shieldgate, she was released at the same time as catalyzing shields and has the exact polarities for both it and brief respite.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

caliban players

But enough about your imaginary friend.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
According to those stats they released earlier, the caliban players get to laugh at the grendel players. At least they get that. :v:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mailer posted:

According to those stats they released earlier, the caliban players get to laugh at the grendel players. At least they get that. :v:

I... that's... ouch... :sigh:

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

temple posted:

Use the Dorrclave and toss on a pile of Augur mods. I should probably throw on Adaptation but I can handily take soloing netracells with her so I haven't felt the need.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I finally remembered the phrases that explain how I play warframe. First is the Pokémon slogan, "Gotta catch 'em all!"¹ I want all the frames, and at least one of each weapon type.

Secondly, and this is the one I couldn't remember where it was from until just now, is from a series of fun little Street Fighter animations I saw on YouTube like ten years ago, and the slogan is Low-tier And Loving It.

Play what you want. One of the strengths of this game is that every frame I've played, I could see how that playstyle could really resonate with somebody and become their main. This game isn't PvP, as long as you're not actively hindering your squad mates, anyone who cares is a dipshit. (We all had to keep rezzing that Dante earlier, so that counts.)

¹ Also your mother's attitude towards STDs. :smug:

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

I don't sweat the meta, but I did take a long time trying out a bunch of different frames before I found more than one or two that felt good for me to play. A ton of my gametime with Warframe was just spent as Rhino because I'm not great at aiming while moving too much and Rhino's abilities are simple and accessible for being a tanky gun platform. For a long time every other frame I played, between their actual design and Warframe's poor communication of how things work and what's good at what, just didn't have a set of abilities that felt like a useful kit. Either I'd find stuff awkward to use or I never got the hang of when to use which ability in what situation.

The more recent warframe designs, between new frames and reworks of old ones, have gotten a lot better. Now I've got a Protea with a massive high-strength Gloom bubble and three other abilities that are all useful and easy to understand, I'm loving throwing Citrine's Fractured Blast and Prismatic Gem out everywhere, and when I finally crack enough radiants for their last prime parts I can go back to labbing Gauss and Grendel.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
When's sevagoth prime coming? I looked at beefing him up for Archimedean and putting forma in two bodies and an exalted made me groan

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I think we still have protea and xaku to go before we get lavos/sevagoth?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I Am Just a Box posted:

I don't sweat the meta, but I did take a long time trying out a bunch of different frames before I found more than one or two that felt good for me to play. A ton of my gametime with Warframe was just spent as Rhino because I'm not great at aiming while moving too much and Rhino's abilities are simple and accessible for being a tanky gun platform. For a long time every other frame I played, between their actual design and Warframe's poor communication of how things work and what's good at what, just didn't have a set of abilities that felt like a useful kit. Either I'd find stuff awkward to use or I never got the hang of when to use which ability in what situation.

This is why I liked Vauban and to a lesser extent Khora (:rip:), less emphasis on precision shooting, more emphasis on ability interaction.

I Am Just a Box posted:

The more recent warframe designs, between new frames and reworks of old ones, have gotten a lot better. Now I've got a Protea with a massive high-strength Gloom bubble and three other abilities that are all useful and easy to understand, I'm loving throwing Citrine's Fractured Blast and Prismatic Gem out everywhere, and when I finally crack enough radiants for their last prime parts I can go back to labbing Gauss and Grendel.

Yesterday in the Circuit I also finally spent some time leveling Gauss Prime, and after taking the decree that increases your speed for every decree, and the decree that increases your speed when you use an ability, I immediately thought of Schubalt's Avatar Quote.

Mr Newsman posted:

I think we still have protea and xaku to go before we get lavos/sevagoth?

God, Im going to have to get the next two primes?!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

FZeroRacer posted:

gotta build her for shieldgate, she was released at the same time as catalyzing shields and has the exact polarities for both it and brief respite.

Oh no :/ shieldgating is the worst part of any build guide, it's where my brain immediately shuts off and I go back to playing big piles of shields/overguard/hp/armor

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

What's a good gun platform frame to graduate to from Rhino? I like Rhino but I really don't like how his 2 covers you in dirt.

And thanks for all the replies to my earlier question about progression, I guess I'll work on Necramech now... the amount of things you have to do for it is a bit intimidating.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

big cummers ONLY posted:

What's a good gun platform frame to graduate to from Rhino? I like Rhino but I really don't like how his 2 covers you in dirt.

Nezha is an easy one to recommend, as are Revenant and Wisp if you want something with a prime currently in rotation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i say mirage. the change to her 3 is really good. the only downside to mirage is that you are legally required to use guns with visible projectiles at all times.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Build the Voidrig, not the Bonewidow. The voidrig is (apparently) a lot more versatile than the bonewidow, because the voidrig is ranged-combat based (and it's 4 is basically a version of Mesa's 4 that does six-digit damage.)

Because of how cross-save worked, I got a bunch of extra starter plat that could only be used in the store, and then I got a 75% off coupon as a login bonus, so I just bought one with that. I'm still trying to build a bone widow because I want one.

I found Rhino boring as hell, because "can take a punch" really doesn't do anything for me. Here's a few of my favorite frames, with explanations:

Vauban: If you like playing 'Engineer', Vauban is your choice. He's got little sentry bots, 4 kinds of deployables including turrets, and just a very versatile kit. Easy to obtain from Nightwave.

Protea: basically a more-dynamic Vauban. Irritating to acquire, but I think she's the next prime.

Lavos: I was surprised how much I like Lavos and his cooldown-based abilities. Fairly easy to obtain from The Entrati. Get the Cedo shotgun no matter what.

Revenant: Second highest base shields in the game, prime is really easy to obtain.

Hildryn: highest shields in the game, hard to obtain but the prime is easy to obtain. I... don't really like her, she feels a lot like Rhino.

Dante: huge amount of overguard super easy, lots of damage, fairly straightforward to obtain once you do the prerequisite quests. Looks dumb but fun to play.

Also, once you hit MR14, grab yourself an Innodem and/or Ruvox. They're melee incarnon weapons, and I was doing 7-digit crits in Steel Path circuit with them with very little effort. I'll also restate: Get The Cedo. The Cedos alt-fire launches a bouncing disc that creates an explosion that causes tons of status effects to enemies caught in it, and the primary fire does extra damage for every status effect on the target. :discourse:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Oh no :/ shieldgating is the worst part of any build guide, it's where my brain immediately shuts off and I go back to playing big piles of shields/overguard/hp/armor

When shields break you get a noticeable sound effect, if you learn the muscle memory to instantly press buttons when your shields break then it will work for Brief Respite builds, Vazarin Protective Dash, and Rolling Guard, the latter two will work on every frame.

big cummers ONLY posted:

If you want something like Rhino but better at tanking, you can do Revenant or Ash with Roar subsumed. Rev Prime is cheap and easy. Ash with Smoke Shadow makes the entire party invisible so enemies don't attack, Smoke Shadow gives the party 150% additive crit chance, which makes it easy to hit guaranteed crit on guns, giving Hunter Munitions the best chance to Slash, which Ash's passive and Roar both boost heavily.

If you want a frame that can vastly multiply gun damage and still tanks well, Zephyr dodges most damage with Turbulence, and airborne damage reduction mods can handle the rest in most cases.

Wisp is invincible for three seconds whenever you double-tap her 2. It is instant cast, and her health mote can help cover when you forget. She also boosts fire rate and turns any gun into AoE with Breach Surge.

Nezha plays the most like Rhino's tank mechanic, but you have to remember to toss out his ring to give tough enemies damage vulnerability. That vulnerability however works on everything in the game including bosses.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
after a certain enemy level, (over)shields, overguard, hp, armor, and damage resistance can no longer mitigate hits. that's not true for shield gating (and invisibility). but well, very few people bother with playing endless modes far enough to hit that level of enemies. even the new elite deep dives aren't quite high level enough.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

after a certain enemy level, (over)shields, overguard, hp, armor, and damage resistance can no longer mitigate hits. that's not true for shield gating (and invisibility). but well, very few people bother with playing endless modes far enough to hit that level of enemies. even the new elite deep dives aren't quite high level enough.

It happens faster than you think on SPC

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BMan posted:

It happens faster than you think on SPC

imo, when hp tanks stop working is a good time to end a run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Rubix Squid posted:

Use the Dorrclave and toss on a pile of Augur mods. I should probably throw on Adaptation but I can handily take soloing netracells with her so I haven't felt the need.

I don't remember my build (at work) but I'll try something like that.