Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Chunjee posted:

When I am reading an online recipe it's normal to list the ingredients and then the instructions. Does everyone have to constantly scroll between the two or is it just me who can't remember how much I'm supposed to use?

Seems like I could save a ton of time if it just said "add the flour (1 and ¼ cups)" and save me from checking the ingredients for the fifth time.

Unless I'm seriously misunderstanding, what you're describing is how cookbooks are written and is the standard way to write a recipe. Significantly older recipes use the format you propose but it makes it harder to gather everything beforehand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

mystes posted:

You could use something like https://www.justtherecipe.com (free) or the app Paprika (costs money) to format the recipe in a form where you can see the ingredients list and instructions at once.

That's incredible :swoon:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A decent recipe will also state if vegetables should be chopped/diced etc in the ingredients list.

I get the frustration, although it’s generally a good idea to read through the entire thing in advance. I’m a nerd and portion out every ingredient into containers beforehand.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I just scramble a lot, despite using recipekeeper to strip all the junk from between the ingredients and instructions.

I have gotten very fast at chopping and dicing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Killingyouguy! posted:

Unless I'm seriously misunderstanding, what you're describing is how cookbooks are written and is the standard way to write a recipe. Significantly older recipes use the format you propose but it makes it harder to gather everything beforehand

having the ingredient amounts in a separate section also makes it easier to scale the recipe up and down to make more/less servings

but yeah you shouldn't have to scroll unless it's a really terrible format or you're viewing it on a tiny phone screen

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Chunjee posted:

When I am reading an online recipe it's normal to list the ingredients and then the instructions. Does everyone have to constantly scroll between the two or is it just me who can't remember how much I'm supposed to use?

Seems like I could save a ton of time if it just said "add the flour (1 and ¼ cups)" and save me from checking the ingredients for the fifth time.

Yeah I agree and a few sites do do it that way, but I wish more did. Especially when they have so many phone-breaking ads that it crashes half the time I try to scroll back and forth.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Is all of the enshittification these days because of the high interest rates?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

Are you talking about recipe websites or ?? :confused:

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Interest rates both high and low are not a cause for anything, they're a tool of the ruling class to extract value from other classes (in a capitalist society). Specifically they function to manage consent and maintain extraction in a way that maximizes profit without having another 2008-style collapse, or that's the idea.

If they do it right everything should keep getting worse for the working class and the ruling classes should keep getting wealthier, if they gently caress it up then they'll have to make some minor amends to maintain stability but they'd have to gently caress it up pretty badly to actually have any risk of anything happening in the west where there's zero resistance or anything.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 10, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DildenAnders posted:

poo poo was getting enshittified back when interest rates were near 0 in 2008-2022 too

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

Depends on what domain you're talking about. I work in education and it feels like we're in the post-consolidation squeeze with a lot of the apps that used to be good. Apps that got bought up by the big tech players got their teams gutted in last year's layoffs. There are little annoying bugs in a bunch of these apps and they've removed any way to contact a helpdesk even for paying customers. New VC funds have dried up (because highger interest rates mean other investments can bring decent returns with lower risk) for apps that didn't get the big buyout and now the original investors are trying to get to 10x any way they can, usually by adding paid accounts for students and ripping out the support teams.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Does anyone have any experience selling their hair? I haven't cut mine since right before covid, I'm finally ready to chop it off, and I could use the extra cash. Wondering how to find a buyer, how much you can sell it for, how to cut it off, and any other details I guess.

Before anyone suggests donating to Locks of Love or something, my father has terminal cancer and the money is to help him out so it's already going to benefit a cancer person. I've also heard they're a scam but who knows anymore.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Enshittification is pretty well summed up by the article that invented the term, but in short, it's a problem with how digital services are made profitable in this day and age. The typical enshittified product (generally some web-delivered service, like a web site or app) goes through this cycle:

1. The company makes a new product, and releases it for free to users to build a user base. They focus on making the product as appealing as possible to users, so users like it and the user base grows.
2. The company pivots to trying to make money. Users are now a secondary focus, and the main focus becomes making the product appealing to advertisers. Users complain a bit, but they're generally still getting a good deal, so they stick around.
3. In order to make more and more money, the company makes the product worse and worse (e.g. more ads, more intrusive ads, splitting the default experience into "basic" and "premium" experiences), relying on users' unwillingness to do without their product or migrate to new platforms.
4. The company passes the trust thermocline, hitting a point where the product is lovely enough that users actually do abandon ship for somewhere else.

Flournival Dixon posted:

Interest rates both high and low are not a cause for anything, they're a tool of the ruling class to extract value from other classes (in a capitalist society). Specifically they function to manage consent and maintain extraction in a way that maximizes profit without having another 2008-style collapse, or that's the idea.

If they do it right everything should keep getting worse for the working class and the ruling classes should keep getting wealthier, if they gently caress it up then they'll have to make some minor amends to maintain stability but they'd have to gently caress it up pretty badly to actually have any risk of anything happening in the west where there's zero resistance or anything.

holy poo poo, pull up dude

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

4. The company passes the trust thermocline, hitting a point where the product is lovely enough that users actually do abandon ship for somewhere else.

I love how you have to create a Medium account to read the whole article. :irony:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

I love how you have to create a Medium account to read the whole article. :irony:

Yeah, that's dumb. The tl;dr of the trust thermocline is that you have a bunch of users who are low-key pissed off at you, but not so much that they're willing to abandon ship. So you make things a little shittier for them, in exchange for you making more money, and they get a little more pissed off, but don't leave. So you figure, score, free money! and tighten the screws a bit more. Eventually they do get mad enough to actually leave, so you back the screws off, and then surprise! they don't come back.

In other words, companies tend to figure that they can keep making things worse until they suffer consequences, and then just back off the last change and they'll get their users back. But it doesn't work that way.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

holy poo poo, pull up dude

that was an accurate description of the purpose of interest rates tho. You could rephrase it to use orthodox language:

quote:

Interest rates both high and low are not a cause for anything, they're a tool of the government to maintain economic functions in society. Specifically they function to manage the flow of capital to maintain stability, or that's the idea.

If they do it right then the economy should continue functioning properly, if they gently caress it up then they'll have to implement policies to return stability to the market, but they'd have to gently caress it up pretty badly to actually have any risk of anything happening in the west where there is a lot of support for the system among the public and no large movements to resist.

I guess it's not stupid or small, but do you disagree or what?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

I guess it's not stupid or small, but do you disagree or what?

Your rephrasing is a drastic replacement in the thrust of the original argument, which posited that interest rates are fundamentally an extractive tool of oppression, rather than a tool for maintaining stability in any regime. A hypothetical country that had perfect income/wealth equality would still need interest, if only to avoid deflationary spirals. Deflation is nasty poo poo and you do not want it on your pancakes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Your rephrasing is a drastic replacement in the thrust of the original argument, which posited that interest rates are fundamentally an extractive tool of oppression, rather than a tool for maintaining stability in any regime. A hypothetical country that had perfect income/wealth equality would still need interest, if only to avoid deflationary spirals. Deflation is nasty poo poo and you do not want it on your pancakes.

A hypothetical country that had perfect income/wealth equality would not be a capitalist country and so would not have these business cycle concerns rooted in capitalist contradictions.

I assume that you could design an economy that still has a central bank setting interest rates but doesn't revolve around consolidating wealth but none of those exist and I don't think it would be anything like our economies.

As for the phrasing, the content is identical, it seems like it just uses different words that you find more palatable or haven't identified the meanings of yet. The purpose of a system is what it does, etc.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

But how does basil fit into all of this?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Someone sent me an excel file on Whatsapp (Android), and for whatever reason instead of being able to download it seperately or send it to my email, I can only seem to forward it to other people on Whatsapp, or open it with a prompt to sign into office 365 with "Copilot AI". Do I have any recourse aside from asking them to resend it through email?

mystes
May 31, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

Someone sent me an excel file on Whatsapp (Android), and for whatever reason instead of being able to download it seperately or send it to my email, I can only seem to forward it to other people on Whatsapp, or open it with a prompt to sign into office 365 with "Copilot AI". Do I have any recourse aside from asking them to resend it through email?
I don't use whatsapp but based on how android apps tend to behave in general: 1) you may be downloading it when you you do whatever results in trying to open it with office if you have that installed, so try to check your downloads folder or something with a file manager app, or 2) see if you can "share" the file in whatsapp and then select your email app from the sharing menu

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'mma opt out of the rest of this conversation on the grounds that it belongs in CSPAM, and I never go there.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DildenAnders posted:

On my phone, the WhatsApp documents appear to be cached in this folder: /storage/emulated/0/Android/media/com.whatsapp/WhatsApp/Media/WhatsApp Documents

Peep around with some file explorer.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Economist had a podcast about the origin of the 'ideal' inflation rate of 2% not so long ago, and came to the conclusion that it's entirely arbitrary and based on an off-hand remark made by New Zealand's finance minister 40 years ago. Like a lot of economics, the goal of setting inflation rates is rooted not only in lessons learned but also just orthodox thinking "that's how we always did it"

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

mystes posted:

I don't use whatsapp but based on how android apps tend to behave in general: 1) you may be downloading it when you you do whatever results in trying to open it with office if you have that installed, so try to check your downloads folder or something with a file manager app, or 2) see if you can "share" the file in whatsapp and then select your email app from the sharing menu

It does not appear in my downloads folder at all, and like I said it is only letting me forward it to other Whatsapp contacts, not the generic "Share" function available for most Android files.

In short, gently caress microsoft and gently caress whatsapp.

Edit:After writing this I figured it out, I had to allow access to hidden files in the file explorer, then go to the path "Internal Storage-Android-Media-com.whatsapp-WhatsApp-Media-Whatsapp Documents-Private", then I could access the file and share it with myself. Above statements remain valid.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 10, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Fruits of the sea posted:

The Economist had a podcast about the origin of the 'ideal' inflation rate of 2% not so long ago, and came to the conclusion that it's entirely arbitrary and based on an off-hand remark made by New Zealand's finance minister 40 years ago. Like a lot of economics, the goal of setting inflation rates is rooted not only in lessons learned but also just orthodox thinking "that's how we always did it"

Yeah when I say it's a mechanism of managing consent for extraction I'm speaking of the ideological apparatus of liberal economics being developed as an intellectual justification for a certain class of person to help them believe "that's just the way things work" in order to short circuit ideas like "maybe things shouldn't work like this". When you learn materialist history and economics you start to realize how seriously insufficient liberal economics are for having any kind of predictive or explanatory function in a scientific manner.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
My apartment complex was taken over by a new (and by all accounts online, scummy) property management company. I got my new lease offer this week and there's something on it that I've never seen before. It has to do with the water/sewerage billing (trash pick up is a separate bill). In the past, I have paid the city directly for this bi-monthly.

This is what's on the lease:

What can I expect from this? Since it's just me living here, I use very little water, but knowing how this company works, I can see an increase in my future.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Well submetering just means they're tracking your individual use rather than the building, it sounds like that's what you were paying already so there shouldn't really be any change in payment for whatever useage you've got. The scam seems to be that they get to charge administrative, account, and late fees themselves for a sevice you don't need and were previously able to do just by paying the city without them being involved.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 11, 2024

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DildenAnders posted:

I see that you've found a solution in this instance, but if it happens again you could try using whatsapp through a web browser on a computer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Flournival Dixon posted:

Well submetering just means they're tracking your individual use rather than the building, it sounds like that's what you were paying already so there shouldn't really be any change in payment for whatever useage you've got. The scam seems to be that they get to charge administrative, account, and late fees themselves for a sevice you don't need and were previously able to do just by paying the city without them being involved.

How is that legal?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Rich people write our laws.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
It's legal because who's going to do anything about it? Nobody really cares about tenants and the people who write the laws all get paid by the people who extract value from renters. If you've got the money you could probably mount a legal challenge or pay off the local politicians to enact renter protection but like who's got the money for something like that?

Ultimately tenants are an extremely easy target to extract value from because the threat of homelessness is overwhelmingly strong and people will just get evicted and murdered by the cops if they try to resist.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 11, 2024

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There are plenty of reasons to get mad at landlords but before you make a fake one up to get mad at, that might just be a copy of the actual late fees etc from the water utility. If they match up with the fees that the water utility charges, there's your answer.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Water companies are waterlords, the liquid equivalent to landlords

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Oddly enough most water supplies in the west are still public goods that sell heavily subsidized water for way less than it would cost on any kind of open market. I guess we'll probably see that change in our life time since there's not really any resistance to stop it but it's interesting that there's not really been any serious movement to privatize and exploit people's need for water to survive yet.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Flournival Dixon posted:

Oddly enough most water supplies in the west are still public goods that sell heavily subsidized water for way less than it would cost on any kind of open market. I guess we'll probably see that change in our life time since there's not really any resistance to stop it but it's interesting that there's not really been any serious movement to privatize and exploit people's need for water to survive yet.

The former CEO of Nestlé was openly making this exact point almost 20 years ago. Skip to about 2:00 in this short clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqT8wmj9ew

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Flournival Dixon posted:

That's not odd at all, open markets are terrible for necessities. Things like utilities, public transport and housing shouldn't be priced based on market forces, or they become lovely, unaffordable, or both.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Hyperlynx posted:

That's not odd at all, open markets are terrible for necessities. Things like utilities, public transport and housing shouldn't be priced based on market forces, or they become lovely, unaffordable, or both.

That's exactly what I'm saying, housing is a basic necessity that's becoming unaffordable for huge portions of the population on the open market and nobody really cares to do anything about it so you'd think that the same thing would happen with water. I think electricity is currently like that in Texas and maybe other parts of the country.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Flournival Dixon posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying, housing is a basic necessity that's becoming unaffordable for huge portions of the population on the open market and nobody really cares to do anything about it so you'd think that the same thing would happen with water. I think electricity is currently like that in Texas and maybe other parts of the country.

Oh, I see what you mean. I thought it was because there were regulations on how much they can charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, I see what you mean. I thought it was because there were regulations on how much they can charge.

I think the large majority of Americans get their tap water from public utilities but private suppliers exist too. A quick Google says that that number is growing so I suppose I may have been wrong to say that it's not happening very much and right to say that we'll be seeing a lot more of it in our lifetime.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 11, 2024