Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I've heard that running downhill is a good technique for escaping bears. You may not be able to outrun them in a climb or on level ground, but your relative speed difference is smaller when running downhill because a bear needs to slow way down to not tumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
practice running from cops to train for running from bears

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

practice running from cops to train for running from bears

Bad advice. Cops are unwilling and unable to run quickly, making them poor for speed training. Bears are unable to operate firearms and might contribute to society. Also, bears cannot be racist, again, making them poor comparisons to law enforcement.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/3KSMKiF.mp4

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That's one way of getting wok hei.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I've heard that running downhill is a good technique for escaping bears. You may not be able to outrun them in a climb or on level ground, but your relative speed difference is smaller when running downhill because a bear needs to slow way down to not tumble.

I am 100% going to tumble rear end over tea kettle myself and become tenderized by the rocks for an easier meal.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Lucky the manhole cover was hinged and didn't become a projectile

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

Bad advice. Cops are unwilling and unable to run quickly, making them poor for speed training. Bears are unable to operate firearms and might contribute to society. Also, bears cannot be racist, again, making them poor comparisons to law enforcement.

ive met dogs that were racist af, why not bears?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Is that a helicopter cropduster? The only dudes I knew with MULTIPLE air crashes were crop dusters, now with the great flavor of a machine that lusts for death? GodDAMN.

Probably the same insane dude that brings in trees from the christmas tree farm in the off-season

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Is that a helicopter cropduster? The only dudes I knew with MULTIPLE air crashes were crop dusters, now with the great flavor of a machine that lusts for death? GodDAMN.

From the look of the practice site, it might be a helicopter fire suppressant sprayer.

Possibly the only thing crazier.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

wiegieman posted:

From the look of the practice site, it might be a helicopter fire suppressant sprayer.

Possibly the only thing crazier.

Nope. That's a pesticide application rig. Flying low and precisely is one place where helicopters excel. There's even drone pesticide applicators, but the holding capacity is significantly less.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caves aren’t always safe to breathe.

https://i.imgur.com/j4D2rc2.mp4

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cartoon Man posted:

Caves aren’t always safe to breathe.

https://i.imgur.com/j4D2rc2.mp4
That's how you know there's some good treasure in there.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

What’s going on there? Some type of gas that’s heavier than air has displaced all the oxygen?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

a primate posted:

What’s going on there? Some type of gas that’s heavier than air has displaced all the oxygen?

Carbon dioxide, most likely.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Somebody threw a bunch of dry ice in a swimming pool because it would look cool. Three people died of CO2 poisoning.

https://7news.com.au/news/disaster-...moscow-c-724820

I've heard of other similar stories too.

By the time you realize something might be wrong, its too late. loving terrifying.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Another way is to remove oxygen via oxidation. Voids and chain lockers on ships are especially dangerous for being low oxygen due to iron oxidation in the sealed or otherwise unventilated and mostly sealed spaces.

Rusting chain just soaking up all the oxygen in the air.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Carbon dioxide, most likely.

Yeah, probably carbon dioxide.

There was a temple to Pluto built in Turkey on a cave that had a CO2 leak and the priests would sell animals for people to chuck in and watch die while priests for Cybele would crawl out to "prove" they were "immune" (they knew where the pockets of breathable air were).

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

deoju posted:

Somebody threw a bunch of dry ice in a swimming pool because it would look cool. Three people died of CO2 poisoning.

https://7news.com.au/news/disaster-...moscow-c-724820

I've heard of other similar stories too.

By the time you realize something might be wrong, its too late. loving terrifying.

This is one of the most monumentally stupid ideas I have ever heard. I'm amazed more people didn't die.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Love 2 mix CO2 with offgassed Cl

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Another way is to remove oxygen via oxidation. Voids and chain lockers on ships are especially dangerous for being low oxygen due to iron oxidation in the sealed or otherwise unventilated and mostly sealed spaces.

I know Nitrogen Narcosis is a huge issue in really deep metal industrial equipment like Nuclear reactors, including warnings about 'If suddenly see a coworker drop and fain in a deep shaft, do NOT go in after them, either pull them up by a recovery rope and alert emergency services' because multiple people died trying to recover one guy from a nitrogen rich environment and it just knocked them out one by one and killed them all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nitrogen is a stealth game protagonist

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

At the old lab I worked at we would vent vacuum vessels with nitrogen. One of the workers stuck their head into the vessel after venting once and got super dizzy from lack of oxygen. Thankfully didn’t pass out because they were old and like 15 feet up on a platform.

They made us vent with air after that. Kinda annoying, venting with dry nitrogen made subsequent pump downs take way less time.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

When the Hebrew language was revived the name chosen for Nitrogen was picked to be חנקן , literally "suffocator".

I don't know why they reserved this name for this element but it wasn't wrong.

E: oh it's probably because it was demonstrated to suffocate fire on the 18th century.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 11, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

We ran pumps that filled the headspace of vials with N2 when the drug was oxygen-sensitive but we never had trainings about it because the facility was doing ~550-700 full air changes an hour

I was in 3 full-blackout power losses in those cleanrooms lol, thankfully never when N2 was running

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 11, 2024

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

CommieGIR posted:

I know Nitrogen Narcosis is a huge issue in really deep metal industrial equipment like Nuclear reactors, including warnings about 'If suddenly see a coworker drop and fain in a deep shaft, do NOT go in after them, either pull them up by a recovery rope and alert emergency services' because multiple people died trying to recover one guy from a nitrogen rich environment and it just knocked them out one by one and killed them all.

now surely you were performing gas checks before going into a confined space

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Atticus_1354 posted:

Nope. That's a pesticide application rig. Flying low and precisely is one place where helicopters excel. There's even drone pesticide applicators, but the holding capacity is significantly less.

That makes sense, what I thought at first viewing was a fire hose looks like it might actually be a hookup for a fill line to the helicopter's tank from a much larger tank.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CommieGIR posted:

Strictly speaking, nitrogen narcosis is nitrogen that's mixed with normal breathing glasses anesthetizing a scuba diver because it is more readily absorbed at higher pressure. What you're describing is nitrogen at 1 atm displacing oxygen and asphyxiating someone.

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed

This is why I stay in my apartment with a gun, so stop asking FBI.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Safety Dance posted:

What you're describing is nitrogen at 1 atm displacing oxygen and asphyxiating someone.

And the reason it’s so dangerous is that the feeling of suffocation comes from excess CO2, not from a lack of oxygen. If you’re breathing pure nitrogen you won’t build up CO2 levels to the point that makes you realize you’re asphyxiating.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Aren't there fruits that offgas a bunch of stuff that make them dangerous in confined areas? For some reason I'm thinking bananas.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Aren't there fruits that offgas a bunch of stuff that make them dangerous in confined areas? For some reason I'm thinking bananas.

Potatoes were the ones that killed an entire family.

Bananas release a lot of ethylene which makes other fruits ripen (and overripen) very quickly, but it’s not a threat to people.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

By popular demand posted:

When the Hebrew language was revived the name chosen for Nitrogen was picked to be חנקן , literally "suffocator".

E: oh it's probably because it was demonstrated to suffocate fire on the 18th century.

In Swedish, nitrogen is kväve, from kväva - to suffocate. It was named already in 1795 because chemists found out that it could be used to suffocate fires. The name is similiar in the other Scandinavian languages.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's similar in German where it's called "Stickstoff" (Suffocation Substance)

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

By popular demand posted:

Revived?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hebrew was not an everyday language for a long time before the state of Israel, updating it from the purely ceremonial (think Latin) role was an undertaking.

More reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliezer_Ben-Yehuda

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
So did everyone that settle there in the 50s and 60s have to convert to the new standard and learn from scratch?
Sounds like larping imo.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Come to Israel, LARPing with nuclear arms! and worse!
E: then again the whole concept of nationhood is LARPing :anarchists:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 11, 2024

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Fumble posted:

So did everyone that settle there in the 50s and 60s have to convert to the new standard and learn from scratch?
Sounds like larping imo.

Reported for anti-semantic comments against Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Unironically because gently caress that noise in the osha thread