Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

tango alpha delta posted:

I was there when MW 2007 was new. The campaign was incredible and the XP multiplayer progression was totally new. MW2 in 2009 took everything and ramped it up all the way, which is why it’s STILL the best multiplayer, followed by BLOPS2.

Oh man launch MW2007 was magical. I do remember lots of games media were hyping it up but I was like oh ok it's just like CoD3 which was good but nothing mindblowing.
I remember watching G4's E3 coverage that year, EVERYONE was saying how fun this game was.

I did get it on launch, it has one of those campaigns like Uncharted, where you just want to finish it in one sitting. It's just the right dose of adrenaline and length per mission that it keeps you wanting more.

Also the multiplayer was basic and I do think MW2 improved on the ideas but it was still magical. It finally felt like a Quake type game that had modern sensibilities.

I feel like even up until BLOPS 4 they were innovating a decent bit but after that with the remakes really killed the hype for me. I still played the last one but ya they seem extremely safe even for CoD standards. That's why I give BF the benefit of the doubt, they atleast tried something new(even though it was terrible at launch).

Ulio fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Charles Martel posted:

This and Child of Light.

This game has millions of DLC shop items and looks like a scam

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Blops2 FTMFW.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

John F Bennett posted:

Oh wow, this game has been on my Steam wishlist for quite some time but there was always some other game to play instead.

Now that it's announced for consoles I'll probably buy it on Xbox instead, this is awesome news.

https://x.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1778133730575429990

This looks really cool! :tipshat:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

JBP posted:

This game has millions of DLC shop items and looks like a scam

Not sure what game you're talking about, but Child of Light has 7 DLC items on the Xbox store; none of which are needed at all. The $3 Golem's Plight Pack adds a minor sidequest and an optional party member, but I finished the game without it no problem.

I bought it on a whim on release day back in 2014 and it turned out to be one of my all-time favorite games. Anyone who's into JRPGs should look up some gameplay of it and give it a shot. It's on sale frequently.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I remember after the CoD4 beta one of the guys in my Halo clan at the time said it seemed really cool and he hoped it would catch on enough to maybe become our backup game. I haven’t played a CoD since probably BLOPS2 but the MW multiplayer structure really was a giant overnight sea change.

Side note, I actually really liked CoD3 and it was a staple at our lan parties, the more open maps and vehicles made it a nice middle ground between CoD and Battlefield.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

So you work on a product for 3-6 years

Then you sell it to me for either 130 credits, or 18? And somehow you’d rather sell me on the 18 dollar version? Is that why Ubisoft is so successful?

Edit: seriously how does this work

They hope 90% of people subscribe and 10% buy? And they make more money that way? I’m not good at the business-ing

The thinking is that the lower price point means you’ll get more customers, ie sales to people who are $18 interested but not $80 interested.

Extra bonus if they buy some DLC or microtransactions, or if they forget to unsubscribe and pay for 2+ months.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah I was completely blown away by CoD4's multiplayer progression. Probably hands down the best few months of multiplayer I have ever had.

It was like loving crack.

It was all so rewarding, refreshing, and it looked and played spectacularly.

I am hoping that the CoD games coming to Gamepass means more people play the multi for CoD4:MW Remaster.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

exquisite tea posted:

Does Ubisoft think most people will be too dumb to cancel their subscription after the month it takes to finish the game rather than spend the equivalent of 8 months on the ultimate edition upfront? Because they're probably right.

I bet they don't care about people signing up and cancelling, especially if people do that repeatedly they can count those as all new signups! (while never reporting the cancellations)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Beastie posted:

Yeah I was completely blown away by CoD4's multiplayer progression. Probably hands down the best few months of multiplayer I have ever had.

It was like loving crack.

It was all so rewarding, refreshing, and it looked and played spectacularly.

I am hoping that the CoD games coming to Gamepass means more people play the multi for CoD4:MW Remaster.

CoD4 was an absolute revelation. Multiplayer obviously, but I remember seeing footage of the campaign level War Pig and seeing the Xbox controller prompts on screen and I couldn't believe it was on a console I owned and I didn't have to upgrade.

Unfortunately about MW Remastered, it's an 8 year old remake of a 17 year old game; that player base peaked years ago. And they filled it with microstransaction psychopathy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

CoD4 was an absolute revelation. Multiplayer obviously, but I remember seeing footage of the campaign level War Pig and seeing the Xbox controller prompts on screen and I couldn't believe it was on a console I owned and I didn't have to upgrade.

Unfortunately about MW Remastered, it's an 8 year old remake of a 17 year old game; that player base peaked years ago. And they filled it with microstransaction psychopathy.

Oh crap you are right. I completely forgot about the loot packs that existed in CoD games then. Remember when they thought it would be fun to watch people open them on the coast of Normandy?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Seeing CoD turn into celebrities with assault rifles has made me the most interested in CoD in years. Bruno mars got gambling debts let’s see Silk Sonic get in there

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
COD4 was loving wild. I devoured that beta.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

This looks really cool! :tipshat:

It really does

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Seeing CoD turn into celebrities with assault rifles has made me the most interested in CoD in years. Bruno mars got gambling debts let’s see Silk Sonic get in there

A window appears when you’re the biggest killer and you smoke out it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Charles Martel posted:

This and Child of Light.

Child of Light is a beautiful work of art, the soundtrack is lovely. Sort of an indie-style platformer-RPG-thingie, not a traditional Ubisoft bloated game, but goddamn I keep it in my memory as a really nice thing

deffo try it if you're looking for a nice chill experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaxrIFlc6E4

Can't believe it's 10 years old now yikes :corsair:

edit: lol, they released pay to win DLC for it? goddamn it, Ubisoft

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Microsoft will happily sell you a ton of games that are part of game pass ultimate. I don't understand the confusion here. Ubisoft would love another subscriber to their thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Child of Light is an eternal reminder Ubisoft could make good games, but consumers wont let them.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Idk if consumers are making them make the same game for a decade also siege

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Remember to buy age of booty if you have any interest because it’s getting delisted for some reason

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

They keep buying that though????

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
My fondest memories of MW2 were playing with people from this site, there were some maps which had some weird geometry that if you knew how to launch a grenade at the right angle, you could just keep killing the enemy at spawn over and over again. People were laughing about the PUBBIE TEARS!!! After around a month other people figured out how to do it and started doing cheap poo poo against us, and people in the thread were bitching about how the game is no fun anymore with absolute no sense of irony.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

The new Prince of Persia is drat good, I need to get back to it but played few chapters and its TOP CLASS in metroidvanias for me definitely going back to it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Original_Z posted:

My fondest memories of MW2 were playing with people from this site, there were some maps which had some weird geometry that if you knew how to launch a grenade at the right angle, you could just keep killing the enemy at spawn over and over again. People were laughing about the PUBBIE TEARS!!! After around a month other people figured out how to do it and started doing cheap poo poo against us, and people in the thread were bitching about how the game is no fun anymore with absolute no sense of irony.

One of my favorite memories of MW2 is calling in two goddamn Harriers to provide overwatch during a CTF match. The swearing from the other team was loving glorious.

e: I once hijacked a support drop, which turned out to be an AC-130, near the end of the match. We were down by more than a few kills.

We won that round.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 11, 2024

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Man …mw2 chat
M14s and mp44s on overgrown hardcore SND.
We may never see anything more pure.

But to me, the real rose color glasses will be RTCW, Base, Elim.

Just perfect nades and LT air strikes on that first left side corner up top. No one went sniper route. And then that bloody hallway for whoever survived. Literally over and over. Voice chat was so vile too.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

kri kri posted:

This looks kinda cool, too bad I will never play it, I don’t play Minecraft looking games.

It's a very cool concept for a game though. It's a completely open free roam procgen city where you have to solve crimes, every game is different.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 11, 2024

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I added the new Star Wars game to my wishlist to keep an eye on it, and it told me these are the other products I might be interested in:

Zumba Fitness World Party
Monkey King
Dan Bradman Cricket 17
Cricket 24
Paw Patrol Grand Prix
and Dan Bradman Cricket.

My expectations for what the Star Wars game is going to be like have now changed drastically.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

King Burgundy posted:

I added the new Star Wars game to my wishlist to keep an eye on it, and it told me these are the other products I might be interested in:

Zumba Fitness World Party
Monkey King
Dan Bradman Cricket 17
Cricket 24
Paw Patrol Grand Prix
and Dan Bradman Cricket.

My expectations for what the Star Wars game is going to be like have now changed drastically.

i guess they made a star wars game about wicket and the algo got confused

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

https://x.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1778340433220763976

Cool beans, Classified France was on my wishlist. Let's see if I'll be able to finish it in 4 days.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://twitter.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1778244472590999794

I wonder who would do such a thing...

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I remember after the CoD4 beta one of the guys in my Halo clan at the time said it seemed really cool and he hoped it would catch on enough to maybe become our backup game. I haven’t played a CoD since probably BLOPS2 but the MW multiplayer structure really was a giant overnight sea change.

Side note, I actually really liked CoD3 and it was a staple at our lan parties, the more open maps and vehicles made it a nice middle ground between CoD and Battlefield.

Yeah this is the thing, COD was always pretty good. COD1 on PC was absolutely brilliant and as a launch Xbox 360 game I thought COD2 was amazing. COD3 was less sparkly but again, I thought it was decent.

But that COD4 beta was seriously like.. holy poo poo. It was like a sledgehammer. I was all in on the 360 at that time and I recall COD4 feeling like the first console FPS that captured anywhere close to the speed and fluidity of a classic PC shooter.

It just felt so loving good to play and with the upgrade structure etc, it was like crack.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider popped up on my “Recently Added: Gamepass” list just now - was that already known or a shadow drop?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

webmeister posted:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider popped up on my “Recently Added: Gamepass” list just now - was that already known or a shadow drop?

it was announced recently, but yeah it was known

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bumhead posted:

Yeah this is the thing, COD was always pretty good. COD1 on PC was absolutely brilliant and as a launch Xbox 360 game I thought COD2 was amazing. COD3 was less sparkly but again, I thought it was decent.

But that COD4 beta was seriously like.. holy poo poo. It was like a sledgehammer. I was all in on the 360 at that time and I recall COD4 feeling like the first console FPS that captured anywhere close to the speed and fluidity of a classic PC shooter.

It just felt so loving good to play and with the upgrade structure etc, it was like crack.

I remember that beta. It was something else

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bolsonaro :argh:

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
loving pumped for the possibility of Gears 6, I hope that's the big title for Christmas though I appreciate that's a fast turnaround.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Just show me Fable dammit

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

John F Bennett posted:

Just show me Fable dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Jables88 posted:

loving pumped for the possibility of Gears 6, I hope that's the big title for Christmas though I appreciate that's a fast turnaround.

That'll be 5 years from the release of Gears 5. I know 2 years of that was COVID and for a triple A game it's not an egregious length of time, but look at what Respawn achieved in 3 years with Jedi Survivor, 2 of which were COVID.

An Unreal Engine 5 Gears should look blinking amazing though. The lighting in the previous entries looks really flat compared with more recent games.