Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It's always wise to escalate danger due to pettiness when driving 2 ton vehicles at 65mph.

Nothing bad ever happens with that. No accidents, no anger, no one gets shot. It's just the smart thing to do.

This is what they told me to do at Sears driving school. Basically pretty much, it was awhile ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It's always wise to escalate danger due to pettiness when driving 2 ton vehicles at 65mph.

Nothing bad ever happens with that. No accidents, no anger, no one gets shot. It's just the smart thing to do.

Also, if you're getting tailgated often enough to complain about it on the internet, you probably aren't getting tailgated. You're just being followed at a reasonable distance and acting liking an rear end in a top hat in response. Tailgating happens but I think it happens to me 2-3 times a year at most. I'm more likely to encounter someone trying to brake check people for no loving reason than people actually tailgating.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Leviathan Song posted:

Also, if you're getting tailgated often enough to complain about it on the internet, you probably aren't getting tailgated. You're just being followed at a reasonable distance and acting liking an rear end in a top hat in response. Tailgating happens but I think it happens to me 2-3 times a year at most. I'm more likely to encounter someone trying to brake check people for no loving reason than people actually tailgating.

Yeah I have to do this a couple times a year always to someone in a huge truck who thinks I care if he rear ends me. I show him lights and then go slower the closer he drives. They never ever keep it up more than a minute after that.

The only reason people tailgate is because so many people get out of their way.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Leviathan Song posted:

I'm not complaining on the internet about it, but here in Florida I get tailgated literally every day. Multiple times.

The road in front of my neighborhood is 35 in one direction, 40 in the other and has speed trap spots in both directions so I just don't speed on it. Not speeding on this road is apparently outrageous to most people here, so I routinely have an SUV or giant pickup truck right up my rear end. If I, in a sedan, cannot see the front license plate holder of an SUV or truck because it's blocked by my trunk, they are well within a car length of my bumper. Tailgating by any definition.

Happens every single day, and if I'm lucky, every single time I'm on that road in a given day.

People are completely reckless and utterly insane.

freddiestarfish
Dec 4, 2005
I LIKE RABBITS

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol responding to dangerous driving with dangerous driving ftw

It's literally the recommended safest action when being tailgated in the EU & UK highway code.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Leviathan Song posted:

If you are less than one car length behind me and we're going 65mph, you are absolutely tailgating the poo poo out of me. People do this every loving day in Seattle. Tailgating is any time you are following someone close enough that if they had to stop and you can't stop fast enough to not hit them in response. Its irresponsible and stupid behavior.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

freddiestarfish posted:

It's literally the recommended safest action when being tailgated in the EU & UK highway code.

The only way to de-escalate the situation is with a gun

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

freddiestarfish posted:

Slowing down and brake checking are different things and I strongly doubt the EU and UK recommend a brake check

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

silicone thrills posted:

If you are less than one car length behind me and we're going 65mph, you are absolutely tailgating the poo poo out of me. People do this every loving day in Seattle. Tailgating is any time you are following someone close enough that if they had to stop and you can't stop fast enough to not hit them in response. Its irresponsible and stupid behavior.

I agree that person you quoted is surely the tailgater in this situation. Having said that I moved from DC to Seattle and people drive so mellow out here that it was like culture shock. I was sharking between cars on the 520 during my first week and I was like "oh nobody else is doing this lol".

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

I live in the Seattle area and no they don't. If anything Seattle area drivers are calm, slow and have respectful following distances. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

Slowing down and brake checking are different things and I strongly doubt the EU and UK recommend a brake check

in the uk they call it a "brake test"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Leviathan Song posted:

I live in the Seattle area and no they don't. If anything Seattle area drivers are calm, slow and have respectful following distances. Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

lmao. lol.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Salt Fish posted:

I agree that person you quoted is surely the tailgater in this situation. Having said that I moved from DC to Seattle and people drive so mellow out here that it was like culture shock. I was sharking between cars on the 520 during my first week and I was like "oh nobody else is doing this lol".

Seattle drivers are so mellow that they're dangerous, in that it's so common for people to give way to onramp traffic that onramp traffic largely makes no attempt to merge safely or even look to see if anyone is in the lane before moving into it. If you set the cruise control and chill in the right lane someone's gonna run you out of the lane by merging straight into the space your car is already occupying.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 11, 2024

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cerekk posted:

Seattle drivers are so mellow that they're dangerous, in that it's so common for people to give way to onramp traffic that onramp traffic largely makes no attempt to merge safely or even look to see if anyone is in the lane before moving into it.

Its not that they're mellow. Its that they're just loving like not even paying attention to driving at all. The guy who hit me most recently tried to claim that "his brakes failed" after hitting us and its like no man, i have the dash cam. you never even tried to brake.

A few years back I got hit by someone taking an illegal right turn on red during a green uturn blinker on hwy 99 and no poo poo he pops out of the truck after hitting us and just says "whoa where did you even come from???"

Few years before that - got hit by someone in a gas station while we were pumping. Just utterly blank and confused.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wow, the drivers from [INSERT LOCAL TOWN]sure do suck!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
The drivers from (NON-LOCAL AREA) that I visited outside of normal commuting times sure seemed more relaxed though!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

silicone thrills posted:

Its not that they're mellow. Its that they're just loving like not even paying attention to driving at all. The guy who hit me most recently tried to claim that "his brakes failed" after hitting us and its like no man, i have the dash cam. you never even tried to brake.

A few years back I got hit by someone taking an illegal right turn on red during a green uturn blinker on hwy 99 and no poo poo he pops out of the truck after hitting us and just says "whoa where did you even come from???"

Few years before that - got hit by someone in a gas station while we were pumping. Just utterly blank and confused.

The "mellowness" I'm talking about is the widespread culture of giving up right of way that you're legally entitled to (see also: waving other people through a four way stop; waving pedestrians into traffic against the don't walk signal). Also the total refusal to accelerate or brake quickly when the situation calls for it or use a horn when it's needed. It all adds up to make everyone less predictable and more jammed up. The Northeast has many more aggressive drivers but they blast by you and they're gone. And if you stay to the right they're not gonna affect you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cerekk posted:

The "mellowness" I'm talking about is the widespread culture of giving up right of way that you're legally entitled to (see also: waving other people through a four way stop; waving pedestrians into traffic against the don't walk signal). Also the total refusal to accelerate or brake quickly when the situation calls for it or use a horn when it's needed. It all adds up to make everyone less predictable and more jammed up. The Northeast has many more aggressive drivers but they blast by you and they're gone. And if you stay to the right they're not gonna affect you.

oh my gosh this nice NPR lady ended my day on Monday by driving pretty sharp and tight, except for when it came to stops.

The first stop she let 5-7 cars cut in front of her that she could have pulled out in front of, and I could have pulled out right behind her.

The second stop was hilarious. She comes to a complete stop and lo, there's a car far off in the distance so she sits and waits.... and that car was the first of 1, 2, 3, 6, 10, 14, 20.... they just kept coming, it was hilarious.

And then finally she pulled out, and drove like a champ, except now we're in a conga line 20 cars deep.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
all said and done i think it seems like we all agree driving has absolutely gotten way shittier for no good reason.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

silicone thrills posted:

all said and done i think it seems like we all agree driving has absolutely gotten way shittier for no good reason.

:hmmyes:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

100%

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GET OFF THE ROADS ASSHOLES THIS ROAD IS MINE AND YOU DO NOT BELONG.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Our province does the thing where you can pay extra to get custom vanity plates for local sports team and the like and it's turned out to be an excellent indicator for drivers to look out for because they're probably going to do some stupid poo poo. Someone even did their own statistical analysis to scientifically prove these guys are shitheads.

Jets fans vs. Bomber fans is interesting, although I see way more Jets plates on bigass pickups. Those Snoman plates are up there because they're the plainest white plates you can get here so they get bought up by people who care way too much about their white vehicle and fancy themselves street racers. The organization who manages snowmobile trails in the province gets a cut from those plates to put towards trail upkeep, and it's hilarious how much money they must have rolling in from people who have never touched a snowmobile in their lives.

Why yes I just had a pickup with Jets plates sideswipe me because they didn't use their turn signal and rammed me into the next lane, why do you ask?

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I've driven professionally for a decade now and it's absolutely gotten worse post covid. There have been *several* accidents so bad they resulted in rollovers recently where there used to be NONE here. I had to walk home last week because a rollover stopped my bus and it couldn't get past. This week someone hosed up so bad in **downtown Vancouver** it flipped a Maserati and killed a one year old baby & almost killed the father who were crossing on their green light. Apparently speeding wasn't even involved. Oh and I got my first ever death threat on the road last week as well. Everyone has gone well and truly everybody for themselves.

Defensive, attentive driving is the the only weapon you have so use it. Everyone else is infact, trying to kill you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Caedus posted:

I've driven professionally for a decade now and it's absolutely gotten worse post covid. There have been *several* accidents so bad they resulted in rollovers recently where there used to be NONE here. I had to walk home last week because a rollover stopped my bus and it couldn't get past. This week someone hosed up so bad in **downtown Vancouver** it flipped a Maserati and killed a one year old baby & almost killed the father who were crossing on their green light. Apparently speeding wasn't even involved. Oh and I got my first ever death threat on the road last week as well. Everyone has gone well and truly everybody for themselves.

Defensive, attentive driving is the the only weapon you have so use it. Everyone else is infact, trying to kill you.

Thank you. What year did you start driving professionally?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Driving in your countries sounds like a nightmare. I'm just wondering has anyone here from the US drive in scandinavia or maybe even Germany? And how did it compare to home?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

His Divine Shadow posted:

Driving in your countries sounds like a nightmare. I'm just wondering has anyone here from the US drive in scandinavia or maybe even Germany? And how did it compare to home?

The continental United States is 48 different countries with different laws, and one is the size of Texas

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MrQwerty posted:

The continental United States is 48 different countries with different laws, and one is the size of Texas

And not a single one of them doesn't sound like a nightmare.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I am a Driving Demon, for reference.

And one of my proudest moments ever was in St. Andrews Scotland, I'm driving the rental and there's 6 folks in the van. I'm on a one way street with 3 cars behind me, and I've got to parallel park into the open spot on the left.

With everyone watching, the wheel is on the other side!!, I loving nailed it so smooth like butter. Just pulling right into that spot without hesitation......

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

And not a single one of them doesn't sound like a nightmare.

I know how to operate a motor vehicle.
My countrymen who are forced to operate one on freeways for their livelihood, however

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Statistically, they too think they know how to operate a motor vehicle. In fact they likely consider themselves above average.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It takes like 3 hours to get a license in the US which doesn't help.

I didn't get one until i was 22ish which meant i never had to go through any drivers ed. I just took a short test for a permit. Practiced in a friends car for a bit. Bought my own. Took that to the dmv. Took another written test that was almost entirely focused on legal alcohol limits and dui law and then got in the car with a tester. Did an around the block and parallel parked behind the dmv and scored an 86. Walked out fully legal to drive. Im 36 now and Ive never had to retest or even prove i can even still see. Ive renewed my license online every time except when i got married and needed to change my name on it.

The whole system here is comical.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Statistically, they too think they know how to operate a motor vehicle. In fact they likely consider themselves above average.

Yes, I've been driving for 22 years in the Land of Enchantment, I'm well aware that the guy who clipped my Elantra and tore the bumper off its ties while i was on the way to class then drove away going 110 thought he was a good driver. He also probably didn't have registration, insurance or a license considering it's loving New Mexico.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think you mean a braky testy

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Brakey wakey wakey

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I have no issue with extensive driver education, but I do with one that’s cost prohibitive. Make it tough, sure, but don’t make it bonkers expensive.

That’s how you get people going to Romania or wherever to get a license legally here and I’m like a goddamn hair away from doing so myself (I am not going to, I’m going to try the legit way).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Drivers Ed is a state by state issue. In the USA

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

GET OFF THE ROADS ASSHOLES THIS ROAD IS MINE AND YOU DO NOT BELONG.

Anybody driving slower than me is an idiot, and anyone going faster than me is a maniac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the connection to covid is also because covid causes brain damage