Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/GnPeoix.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bald Stalin posted:

They're referring to white people population as a percentage vs. bad inferior others that they don't love

I know a lot of them are but this person just sounds like she thinks new york is going to be a ghost town or something.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

It’s why, as a teenage Thiel Fellow

Okay nevermind

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

This interviewer is so bad, it's infuriating

quote:

I must now ask a question I’ve been dreading. I’m sorry in advance. Here goes. It’s the inevitable question about Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes.

No, this is the worst question. This is so mean.

Tell me why it’s so mean.

I find it sad. It’s a sad state of affairs where—my friends who aren’t even in health, they say they get it too. It’s like, any female CEO with any tech-adjacent thing is constantly being questioned—by the way, are you like this other fraud? Do you want to comment on this other random fraud that occurred that has absolutely nothing to do with you besides the person being the same gender as you?

I mean she also had Theil backing and a stupid-rear end idea sooo

quote:

If you’re trying to charitably understand where this question is coming from, how do you do that?

What would be the charitable interpretation—besides that our society is incredibly misogynistic and men’s frauds and failings are passed aside and when one female does it she stands for every other female CEO ever?

Oh of course, it's that, that's the only possibility, sure.

Also lol at the point where the interviewer is like "it sure does sound like eugenics, but I was told not to say that word because the company doesn't like it, so I won't!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You might could try improving things, which might improve the birthrate. So many people just don't have the means for kids despite wanting them :shrug:

But I'm gonna guess if you're the type who worries about the birth rate in "places we love" you have no intention of ever attempting to improve things

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

It's actually bizarre when you think about it. Having children, a right that every human being should have, is starting to become more and more a privilege for people with vast amounts of wealth. I would like to emphasize that I am talking about the West. I realise that there are people in the world that are off so much worse than we are, but the possibility of a family, a house, a decent life like my folks had is so far out of reach that it almost seems like a myth. I know this thread is more or less about that, and that this comment is not necessarily a valuable contribution to the topic at hand, but I just wanted to express my frustration.
Whelp, that's it. Gotta get back on that grind. Have a nice day.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It owns

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

sassypotassium posted:

It's actually bizarre when you think about it. Having children, a right that every human being should have, is starting to become more and more a privilege for people with vast amounts of wealth. I would like to emphasize that I am talking about the West. I realise that there are people in the world that are off so much worse than we are, but the possibility of a family, a house, a decent life like my folks had is so far out of reach that it almost seems like a myth. I know this thread is more or less about that, and that this comment is not necessarily a valuable contribution to the topic at hand, but I just wanted to express my frustration.

Have you considered that actually everything is awesome because Number is Up and there have never been so many billionaires as there are today and they've never on average had as much money as they have today?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

sassypotassium posted:

thats what its always been like, the post war boom was just a blip.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mistermojo posted:

thats what its always been like, the post war boom was just a blip.

Yeah, but not really, because modern contraception makes a lot of difference in terms of having kids.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I really don't think having children should be a universal right because so, so many people are ill suited to caring for children, and even fewer are able to do so while walking the line between being present and being controlling. It's just not a thing 90% of parents can really do. I don't know what the solution would be, aside from a cultural shift away from child-as-status-object or idk moving to a creche system where trained professionals can care for kids on set shifts 24/7.

We aren't birds, it's a little more complicated to raise a well adjusted adult than putting twigs together and vomiting on command.

E: we also have too many people already for the amount the earth can support without fossil fuels, even if we all switch to eco-vegan stalinism. Not in a eugenics way, but in a give everyone alive free birth control, condoms, abortions, and access to r/childfree.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
i cant even vomit on command

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

fanfic insert posted:

Go suck a dick, like really deep. Either you learn to vomit on command or you have a far more valuable skill.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

BonHair posted:

Go suck a dick, like really deep. Either you learn to vomit on command or you have a far more valuable skill.

hell yeah i love this quest. be back later!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fanfic insert posted:

I actually can, weirdly enough

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I really really do not want kids, but nothing has ever made me reconsider that position more than /r/childfree, just to spite them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

I really don't think having children should be a universal right because so, so many people are ill suited to caring for children, and even fewer are able to do so while walking the line between being present and being controlling. It's just not a thing 90% of parents can really do. I don't know what the solution would be, aside from a cultural shift away from child-as-status-object or idk moving to a creche system where trained professionals can care for kids on set shifts 24/7.

We aren't birds, it's a little more complicated to raise a well adjusted adult than putting twigs together and vomiting on command.

E: we also have too many people already for the amount the earth can support without fossil fuels, even if we all switch to eco-vegan stalinism. Not in a eugenics way, but in a give everyone alive free birth control, condoms, abortions, and access to r/childfree.

Me, with ghost of Engels over my shoulder smiling in approval: "Sounds like the problem may just be the nuclear family"

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

tokin opposition posted:

The nuclear family and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sassypotassium posted:

Improving things is likewise the "solution" to high birthrates too, but they're also opposed to that. I think they just might be opposed to things getting better!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Things being very bad is great because that means desperate people you can exploit. You might think immiserating people for too long would have side effects but they're actually good side effects. If your domestic labor force starts to die or shrink because they've been crushed too hard for too long, the solution is never to improve things. Instead, you just make sure the poorer countries are getting worse faster so the working class in those countries is even more desperate, and then you can siphon off all the best workers from them to both prop up your failing domestic labor supply and also use as a cudgel against anybody domestically who gets ideas like "say doesn't a constrained labor supply mean laborers have more power?" People in the country illegally or on conditional visas are very difficult to impossible to unionize. Even better if they don't speak the same language or have a different religion or something, then you can really get the racism going to ensure worker solidarity never happens.

Making things better ruins everything. People need to be more desperate not less desperate, it's just math.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

tokin opposition posted:

I really don't think having children should be a universal right

Hey sport it's cool that you feel this way but for now it's probably a good idea that people who don't want kids don't get to impose that preference on people who do.

Bad parents exist and I get the vibe that you maybe had some but most of those IMO are afflicted by artificial scarcity that should be eliminated by addressing systemic issues, which would also bring down the global birth rate - an idea I fully support btw. Forcing people to completely forgo one of the most basic (but clearly not universal) animal driving forces is not a good idea.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

3D Megadoodoo posted:

One time I was reading a novel (based on real events I think) written by a communist, describing young German boys fighting in the resistance against the Nazi regime, and the people sitting opposite me kept giving me looks. I surreptitiosly checked if my pants were split at the crotch, and tried to peep my reflection in the window to see if I had maybe toothpaste all over my chin or something.

When I got to my stop and put the book in my bag, I realized the cover image was basically just a big-rear end Nazi emblem (when viewed from any distance).

what was the book

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

jeebus bob posted:

Hey sport it's cool that you feel this way but for now it's probably a good idea that people who don't want kids don't get to impose that preference on people who do.

Bad parents exist and I get the vibe that you maybe had some but most of those IMO are afflicted by artificial scarcity that should be eliminated by addressing systemic issues, which would also bring down the global birth rate - an idea I fully support btw. Forcing people to completely forgo one of the most basic (but clearly not universal) animal driving forces is not a good idea.

No one's saying you can't gently caress

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

I am

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm the official gently caress Arbiter now

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

well there you have it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

Me, with ghost of Engels over my shoulder smiling in approval: "Sounds like the problem may just be the nuclear family"

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

The Oldest Man posted:

Great thanks

I'm saying some people actually want children for reasons other than capitalist nuclear family propaganda and that the solution to overpopulation (which is more a problem of allocation) or bad parenting being a thing is not to make people take a test before they can start raw dogging.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
oh yeah I definitely trust the Are You Allowed To Have Kids Test to not be insanely racist

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Mechafunkzilla posted:

oh yeah I definitely trust the Are You Allowed To Have Kids Test to not be insanely racist

Let's let tokin opposition pitch it first before we pass judgment

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My parents were fantastic and I still turned out like this

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

khazar sansculotte posted:

The nuclear family and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Using the US immigration law quotas as a starting point for my reproductive means testing law. “Look it says only 30,000 children of Ethiopian descent, doesn’t say anything about whether the parents are white or not!”

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

jeebus bob posted:

Let's let tokin opposition pitch it first before we pass judgment

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It's a simple test: are you a burgerfied American jackal?

If Y, the test-taking apparatus gives you the snip

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

khazar sansculotte posted:

It's Private Property's fault

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Consolidated Ed posted:

what was the book

"It's Not What You Think" by Rudolf Shimmler

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BonHair posted:

people say you just need to try to swallow suck real deep

:wrong:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Consolidated Ed posted:

what was the book

Halo: the fall of Reach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Ok here's the metric:

Do you want kids? You are not allowed to have kids.

Do you not want kids? You are not allowed to have kids.

Are you not sure if you want kids? You are not allowed to have kids.

Are you a Pell Grant recipient who started a business that operated for three years in disadvantaged communities? You are not allowed to have kids.