Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Michael Cristofer was a pleasant surprise. Phillip Price lives on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It may not have the interface but Cooper was absolutely using VATS

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I don’t think I can tolerate Lucy as a main character for a full season. They seem to be adopting the superficial aspects the modern Fallout’s aesthetics, but so far I’m not hooked. Brotherhood of Steel story seems semi-interesting but this really feels like network television.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I don’t think I can tolerate Lucy as a main character for a full season. They seem to be adopting the superficial aspects the modern Fallout’s aesthetics, but so far I’m not hooked. Brotherhood of Steel story seems semi-interesting but this really feels like network television.

sorta. I was worried it was gonna be way worse but i liked episode 1 enough that ill keep going.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Watched the first couple eps. Good production values and Walton Goggins is awesome as always, but I must be burned out or something on the series because the Bethesda Fallout aesthetic is just exhausting to me now.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I feel like basically everyone could tell how Cooper’s second introduction was going to play out at least as soon as the mercs brought out the chicken

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even in the 2070s the Hollywood writers are communists.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Two episodes in and this is really good so far...? The wacky side of Fallout is a lot more muted than I'd expect, it's like they're trying to tell an actual story. Lead actress is great, Walton Goggins is great and also completely sells the kinda cheap-looking ghoul makeup; his character could be really cringey if it wasn't him playing it so hard. Stimpacks specifically being a cure-all for stab wounds is also great. I dunno if I could have forgiven him if he'd killed that dog.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Stimpacks specifically being a cure-all.

I do like how they kept such a videogame concept intact.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I'm also 2 in and it's a lot better than I was expecting. I like how it kind of leans into the game aspects like the shopkeeper literally putting a quest marker into her pipboy

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
drat this show owns

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Only have time for two episodes tonight, but it really does seem to understand the feeling of the Bethesda games pretty well.

Now, that isn't necessarily a positive to some people, but I am enjoying it.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I do really like that we’ll get to explore the pre Great War world a bit too

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
This is probably the best show ive seen since Chernobyl

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
As a huge weird fallout lore nerd my only question is how is the Brotherhood still actually powerful? The west coast Brotherhood was hanging on by a thread 10 years before this story was set. I doubt they’ll address it.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you just had 5 people squatting in a bunker somewhere. Meanwhile east coast had largely transitioned with the BOS overthrowing the enclave in the DC area and providing a huge safe area with free water.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
the mojave chapter was five dudes, the california chapter was much larger and on decent terms with the ncr. I think that's who maximus is a part of.

feral ghouls not being able to abide chickens is some quality wasteland superstition.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I enjoyed the little Justified reunion at the end of episode one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rhymenoserous posted:

As a huge weird fallout lore nerd my only question is how is the Brotherhood still actually powerful? The west coast Brotherhood was hanging on by a thread 10 years before this story was set. I doubt they’ll address it.

The Mojave Chapter of the Brotherhood was on death's door following the Battle of Helios One. In the west they had mostly retreated to the bunkers but still had power and were continuing to fight the NCR.

I've finished three episodes and I'm calling it a night. Show is pretty good, and Goggins is the standout. I will say that there's some bits that have me apprehensive but so far I'm waiting to see how they pan out before I decide.

In three episodes we've had a mish-mash of various Fallout shenanigans. The Enclave is doing Enclave things, the Vault Dweller is doing a Fallout 3 and trying to find her father, there's now a broken water chip putting a timer on Vault 33's survival, and instead of a Platinum Chip macguffing with have a chip in a guy's head.

So we've got a mystery box setup to see what the chip does and how it will control the Wasteland, and tracking down the raider who kidnapped Hank is the hook to go on a cross-country tour of various wasteland oddities. We've had a junktown/megaton riff with Filly, callbacks to New Vegas with the Enclave doing scientific studies on dogs, and the whole thing is drenched in Fallout 4's visuals.

My worry is that this will turn into yet another scrap between the Brotherhood and the Enclave. They're already hinting at the tri-vault system being yet another Vault-Tec experiment and of course the Enclave knows what Vault-Tec was up to, so that will tie Norm's story back into the bigger plot.

If I had a general criticism it's that the wasteland doesn't really have any distinct character to it yet. It feels more like a jumbled collection of spaces that don't really connect to each other and can change with so much as a scene transition. It's in Los Angeles but the Greater Los Angeles area is gigantic so who knows if the downtown Angels Boneyard will show up. But I'd like a bit more of a sense of interconnectivity between the various spaces of the Wasteland.

The acting is quite fun, especially Goggins. I do like how Maximus wants to live up to the Brotherhood's ideals but he's also a petty rear end in a top hat. The Brotherhood is just a bunch of dicks at the end of the day. Lucy is the weakest of the three leads, IMO but she's stuck as the player character audience surrogate. Mostly she just hasn't had as much to do as Ghoulggins or Maximus because half her time is dedicated to gawking at the weird surface world. I hope she gets more moments to act like a Vault Dweller because her attempts at diplomacy are funny.

boo boo bear posted:

the mojave chapter was five dudes, the california chapter was much larger and on decent terms with the ncr. I think that's who maximus is a part of.

It looked like the airfield where Maximus was stationed was out by the Great Salt Lake, so further east than the main Brotherhood. Also the Brotherhood and NCR were not on good terms last time around. They teamed up to defeat the Enclave and then declared war on each other after relations fell apart.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 11, 2024

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Huh. Maybe it's because I don't know the series lore, but I just started the third episode and this really isn't doing it for me so far.

Episode 2 I know just enough about the games to know that the weird slo-mo shots were them doing a VATS thing, but the whole gory shootout in the town seemed video gamey in a confusing and bad way (I did think using the stim packs for healing was cute though). I feel like I don't know how much impact anything that happens is actually supposed to have in this world, and I don't have a grasp on what the broader world is like at all.

I'm curious if there's anyone else in this thread who hasn't played the games (I have them all but never got around to them, except once long ago playing the first one and dying to some of the first rats you fight and rage quitting). I also hope that we get to see more of the vaults at some point, but that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

Episode 3 lmao OK we did go back to the vault literally as I wrote that so that's something

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I like the acting across the board so far. I don't think anyones doing a bad job. Ella Purnell is really solid. It's hard to match up to Walter Goggins though that guy is just awesome.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So are vault 33 and 31 connected with each having their own entrance to the outside world? That wasn't 100 percent clear to me.

Also, where does this fall in the timeline? The Brotherhood seems established and they mentioned the Commonwealth (that's Boston right? I just couldn't get into Fallout 4) but also the Enclave is still a thing? The West Coast President died in Fallout 2, Eden in Fallout 3, how many backup Enclave Presidents are there??

The show looks right, but it still falls into the same problems that all Bethesda Fallout stuff fell into in that it was so in love with the iconography of Fallout, it forgot the "why" and neglected to create anything new. I fully expect Super Mutants and FEV to show up just because its "Fallout".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Snuffman posted:

So are vault 33 and 31 connected with each having their own entrance to the outside world? That wasn't 100 percent clear to me.

Also, where does this fall in the timeline? The Brotherhood seems established and they mentioned the Commonwealth (that's Boston right? I just couldn't get into Fallout 4) but also the Enclave is still a thing? The West Coast President died in Fallout 2, Eden in Fallout 3, how many backup Enclave Presidents are there??

The show looks right, but it still falls into the same problems that all Bethesda Fallout stuff fell into in that it was so in love with the iconography of Fallout, it forgot the "why" and neglected to create anything new. I fully expect Super Mutants and FEV to show up just because its "Fallout".

Vaults 33, 32 and 31 are connected underground. There's posters showing the triangular vault system.

The Commonwealth is the colloquial name for the region on the East Coast that includes Boston and new england, but before the Great War the various US States were divided into multiple Commonwealths. California was in the west coast Commonwealth for example.

When Siggi is inside the Enclave base you can spot a Super Mutant arm from a test patient being trollied away on a gurney.

Caros
May 14, 2008

A fallout show by Amazon has no right going this hard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm not watching til later, is it looking like it follows off the games after all? That's kinda weird

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

The acting is quite fun, especially Goggins. I do like how Maximus wants to live up to the Brotherhood's ideals but he's also a petty rear end in a top hat.

"Being a petty rear end in a top hat" is pretty much the slogan of the Brotherhood.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’ve finished 3 episodes and while I really like the show, I don’t love it for some reason. I haven’t played the games and all I knew about the world is that it’s a post nuclear apocalyptic world.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I love how the big duffel bags are clearly meant to be carried by the power armor but they make the squires lug them around.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
hahhahah Maximus totally sucks poo poo, what a dickhead, I love him

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

primaltrash posted:

hahhahah Maximus totally sucks poo poo, what a dickhead, I love him

Yeah I'm on Ep 3 right now and agree. I'd ride or die with Thaddeus though.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
The frank exchange was :stonklol:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Caros posted:

A fallout show by Amazon has no right going this hard.

It's great, too bad this thread will follow the LOST threads tradition of people who hated it making 400 posts telling us how bad every episode is because they're still watching it for some reason.

fps_nug
Feb 21, 2021

horsing around no longer

Mob posted:

It's great, too bad this thread will follow the LOST threads tradition of people who hated it making 400 posts telling us how bad every episode is because they're still watching it for some reason.

I hated it at first and then I tried to just enjoy it being goofy and it's pretty good.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lucy's brother looks like a bosmer 😭

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not watching til later, is it looking like it follows off the games after all? That's kinda weird

All it's done is burn down everything from the non-Bethesda Fallouts really

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It definitely takes its style from the Bethesda games, which isn't a big surprise. That's what fallout is to a large chunk of the population. I'm really enjoying it so far. Sucks to suck for the people who can't.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Azhais posted:

All it's done is burn down everything from the non-Bethesda Fallouts really

This is a different continuity or some stupid attempt at a reboot based on what I'm reading about the later episodes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The prologue featured some of the best looking nukes ever put to film, IMO.

Jonathan Nolan should’ve convinced Christopher to let him take care of the Oppenheimer Trinity test.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Kavak posted:

This is a different continuity or some stupid attempt at a reboot based on what I'm reading about the later episodes.

I think someone realized that the 200 years of time between the wars and the Fallout wasteland doesnt make any sense and has turned that into a mystery of "wait, if it wasn't 200 years and only vault dwellers think that, then what the gently caress?" but i'm just starting ep 6.

I'm liking that the Vault 31-33 mystery that's going on too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Everyone on Fallout reddit appears to be fighting furiously about this already, so that's a good sign.

Late, broad spoilers: They blew up the NCR, which I think we could probably have seen coming - clearly the showrunners wanted a California-set show, but there was no way they were going to have it take place in mostly-civilised farmland rather than a 'proper' wasteland. I'd rather they just scrapped the whole thing than establish the baggage of the setting in order to do away with it, but never mind.

However, the dates given onscreen appear to show that the NCR was destroyed a few years prior to the events of New Vegas, which is clearly evidence that Todd Howard planned the entire Amazon show to deliberately and maliciously retcon Obsidian's work from the timeline, as opposed to the possibility that the screenwriters really aren't paying that close attention to all of our nerd poo poo or the superior modern game, unfortunate as it may be