Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

Just amazing that the dumbest case against Trump is the only one that is actually going to go to trial before the election (assuming there isn't some last minute legal Calvinball that gets ol' Trumpy out of this jam)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's the thing! Normally people dumb enough to pull this poo poo are also dumb enough to do that, but he isn't!
I would bet that Trump isn't trying to be his own lawyer because he thinks that looks like a poor person thing, not because he thinks representing yourself is a bad idea

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(points at Alina Habba)

Competent would be the disqualifier here.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ynglaur posted:

You tell him "no.". If one of my customers asks me to do something illegal or unethical I say "no.". It's actually not hard. gently caress the lawyers representing Trump who are willfully and unethicallly filing frivolous lawsuits. Nobody is making them do it. They are choosing to act unethicallly.

This is the quality of legal representation he can get. Still have splinters in their asses from the bottom of the barrel.

Thhis.

That's the thing! Normally people dumb enough to pull this poo poo are also dumb enough to do that, but he isn't! And then he keeps finding lawyers who are dumb enough to work for him after all!

It's like a law school ethics hypothetical. Is an attorney stupid enough to work for Trump, still capable of providing competent representation? Ethically responsible for their own stupidity?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(points at Alina Habba)

The fact that you know who she is means it was worth it for her.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

It's like a law school ethics hypothetical. Is an attorney stupid enough to work for Trump, still capable of providing competent representation? Ethically responsible for their own stupidity?

What if they are just pretending to be smart?

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
So Trump going for a hail Mary fire his lawyers just before the trial to create more delays. Would that work and would his lawyers suggest it?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Scapegoat posted:

So Trump going for a hail Mary fire his lawyers just before the trial to create more delays. Would that work and would his lawyers suggest it?

Pretty sure no. Judges don't like obvious stalling tatics like that. Plus he's has a whole bunch of lawyers working diffrent cases for him. Judge would probably point out he could of swapped out lawyers at any time if he was unhappy.

He has moved lawyers from one case to another before, so he knows it's an avaliable option.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Don’t lawyers have to ask for leave of the court to stop representing clients, and the judge can (and do) refuse?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure no. Judges don't like obvious stalling tatics like that.

Yeah, it sure would annoy the courts if Trump started constantly abusing obvious stall tactics.

Edit: since this got quoted before I changed it:

EDIT: This originally said "He's gotten away with it before, the judges just take it."

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 12, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Bible posted:

Yeah, it sure would annoy the courts if Trump started constantly abusing obvious stall tactics.

Not really. He's gotten some small delays out of basically waiting until the last second and then loving up. But doing stuff that is JUST a plain stalling tactics isn't going to be tolerated. Chances are if he dropped his lawyer he'd just be told to find one, but no delays.

EDIT: This originally said "He's gotten away with it before, the judges just take it."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When you're a star they let you do it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

withak posted:

When you're a star they let you do it.

It's like a magnet. Just fraud. I don't even wait.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
More on Eastman trying to keep working.
The fact that MTG and Gaetz want to use you makes you even more creepy.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1778226777409605856

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Scapegoat posted:

Probably not, and probably not. It's a bad idea which isn't very likely to work, but is very likely to hurt his case.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

It's a bad idea which isn't very likely to work, but is very likely to hurt his case.
This might as well be the thread title

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

OgNar posted:

More on Eastman trying to keep working.
The fact that MTG and Gaetz want to use you makes you even more creepy.
:yeeclaw:
lol! he asked greene and gaetz for a "please let him work" letter and they wrote conspiracy bullshit.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Everybody wants to work anymore!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I wish I could ask Eastman what the gently caress he expected to happen.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

InsertPotPun posted:

lol! he asked greene and gaetz for a "please let him work" letter and they wrote conspiracy bullshit.

If you willingly work for those two you have to know that's what you're going to get. It's literally their only move.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lammasu posted:

I wish I could ask Eastman what the gently caress he expected to happen.

Step 1: forment coup
Step 2: ???
Step 3: profit

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

It seems like this lady could've avoided consequences if she'd had the foresight to run for president

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vietnam-property-tycoon-truong-my-lan-death-sentence-fraud-embezzelment/

Vietnam property tycoon Truong My Lan sentenced to death in whopping $27 billion fraud case

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

SpelledBackwards posted:

It seems like this lady could've avoided consequences if she'd had the foresight to run for president

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vietnam-property-tycoon-truong-my-lan-death-sentence-fraud-embezzelment/

Vietnam property tycoon Truong My Lan sentenced to death in whopping $27 billion fraud case

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SpelledBackwards posted:

That's 5% of Vietnams yearly GDP. Things should not go that far before sentencing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DTurtle posted:

Well, the question is just how many people need to not want a democracy anymore in order to eliminate it. Is it 50% of the voters in a single election? 50% of the voting eligible population? 50% of the population? 66% of all of those? 75%? Maybe only over multiple election cycles? Majorities in all or a majority or a supermajority of states, districts, whatever?

The 2020 presidential election in the US (with the highest participation in 70 years) saw the winner get votes from less than 34% of the voting eligible population. If Trump would win in 2024, he would probably get a similar amount of votes. Should that count as "people democratically electing to eliminate democracy"?

Not voting when eligible - barring factors like voter suppression - is not "None of the Above", it's "Oh I don't care, whatever you guys decide".

It's annoying when it's deciding where to go to lunch, it's infuriating when it's elections.

Not making a choice is still a choice.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/10/...&smid=url-share

Another delay attempt denied for Trumpy Boy. :sad:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Do you think his law morons have it in them for one last filing before Monday?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The appeals court should just ghost him until 1 second before the trial and then say "denied"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Adhemar posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/10/...&smid=url-share

Another delay attempt denied for Trumpy Boy. :sad:

Do you think this ever comes off as whiny to his base? Some kind of "take it like a man" deal?

Highly doubtful considering the cult of personality and how being a victim is one of their central tenets. More just kind of wondering aloud* if there's some theoretical upper bound.

*avisible?

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do you think this ever comes off as whiny to his base? Some kind of "take it like a man" deal?

Highly doubtful considering the cult of personality and how being a victim is one of their central tenets. More just kind of wondering aloud* if there's some theoretical upper bound.

*avisible?

I think it mostly feeds into the witch hunt narrative, but I’m hoping that people only have so much capacity to hear that narrative and Donnie has hit the max.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I would hope that the logical view would be, "if you're as innocent as you say you are, you should be excited to prove it in court."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

Being a whining pussy is his whole brand, he brags about it

https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1742921288371573000?t=ShQIGGdT8yc11_dp_FdZmw&s=19

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Until I win" says the man who continued to whine after winning...

The day Death arrives with a forklift to take him to on a whirlwind tour of the layers of Hell will be one of the greatest days in the history of the world.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Randalor posted:

"Until I win" says the man who continued to whine after winning...

The day Death arrives with a forklift to take him to on a whirlwind tour of the layers of Hell will be one of the greatest days in the history of the world.
he didn't win ENOUGH.
to even oppose him is unfair.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

*avisible?

I doubt it. For basically the same reason people like Tucker Carlson and Ben Shaprio can whine about the left being effeminate males while not having their audience break down laughing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

*avisible?

They don't see it as whining, they see it as bravely and heroically fighting back against villainous persecution.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Xiahou Dun posted:

*avisible?

Nope. They view this as him fighting The Deep State. If and when he gets to court and gets convicted, his base will scream "he was set up!" until they die.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

State prosecutor to investigate Georgia Lt. Gov. Burt Jones in Trump case

quote:

State prosecutor Pete Skandalakis said Thursday that he will lead the investigation into Lt. Gov. Burt Jones’ alleged role in trying to help former President Donald Trump overturn the 2020 presidential election in Georgia.

Skandalakis, executive director of the Prosecuting Attorneys Council of Georgia, had been tasked 21 months ago to find someone to oversee the Jones investigation after the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office was recused from the case. Instead of appointing a district attorney or a private lawyer to take the case, he appointed himself.

Skandalakis has been criticized – even made the defendant in a lawsuit – for taking so long to appoint someone to lead the investigation. But he will now move forward on his own to determine whether Jones should be charged with criminal conduct. In a statement, citing the rules of professional conduct for prosecutors, Skandalakis said, “No further comments will be made at this time.”

In a statement, Jones welcomed the investigation and took a swipe at Fulton County’s district attorney.

“I’m happy to see this process move forward and look forward to the opportunity to get this charade behind me,” he said. “Fani Willis has made a mockery of this legal process, as she tends to do. I look forward to a quick resolution and moving forward with the business of the state of Georgia.”

Jones, then a state senator, was one of 16 GOP officials who cast Electoral College votes in December 2020 for Donald Trump after President Joe Biden had officially been declared the winner in Georgia. Jones and the 15 others signed documents stating they were the “duly elected and qualified electors” from Georgia.

This is the guy that Fanni Willis was disqualified from prosecuting because she'd led a fundraiser for his opponent in the last election. There's more at the link with the full background.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

BDawg posted:

I would hope that the logical view would be, "if you're as innocent as you say you are, you should be excited to prove it in court."

Nah, he can’t prove what a perfect blameless angel he obviously is when every court in the land is a kangaroo banana republic run by deep state commie-nazi antifa judges (including those appointed by Trump). This is also why nothing he might admit to in court while under oath can change his supporters minds, because the courts are so corrupt and illegitimate and evil that defying them is the only decent thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

BDawg posted:

Yeah innocent people love being taken to court and spending money and effort defending themselves