Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Vermain posted:

my ultimate problem with roguelike deckbuilders is that they're fun for the first little while when your primary goal is stitching together a build out of what you're given and flexing your creative muscle, but they quickly become tedious once you get into higher difficulty settings due to the importance of luck mitigation and card efficiency. you typically end up with a deck built around a single central gimmick (usually exponentially increasing damage/defense) that's then padded with enough retain and redraw to avoid poo poo draw curves, and so the only real gambler's high left is whether you get the relics/augments/whatever you need to meet the necessary attack/defense threshholds to win

you do get the occasional neat gimmick like dead branch that's fun to play with, but it's rare to get those pieces early enough to build around, and having to slog through a bunch of what often feel like autopilot runs to get those gleaming nuggets rarely feels worth it

Imo most of them suffer from too much bloat, it's a genre that seems to excel when it's kept relatively simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

slay the spire ftw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think sts probably nailed the skill/randomness curve as well as you possibly could given that the really good players can pretty reliably win runs on the highest difficulty by being careful/thoughtful but you can still get those endorphin runs where every single random drop just goes your way which is also ftw

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
I was hoping sts 2 to have better art but they're still using the same programmer for everything.
It's okay, they're a tiny indie dev living hand to mouth from the 1,5million sales they got. They need every penny just to survive and I guess art courses or practise is too expensive.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I never played Slay the Spire but I know it's good cause they were recruiting playtesters from jinteki.net back in the day, and if Netrunner players say it's good then it's good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

haddedam posted:

I was hoping sts 2 to have better art but they're still using the same programmer for everything.
It's okay, they're a tiny indie dev living hand to mouth from the 1,5million sales they got. They need every penny just to survive and I guess art courses or practise is too expensive.

Let's loving find them and beat them up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

part of StS's charm is that it's got a low rent "indie studio trying their best" art style, and the sequel having something more overproduced like a mobile gacha title or some kind of polished cel shaded style would take away a lot of that

it does look like they're adding additional flair here and there, like the silence is doing a hitstun animation in one of the screenshots, and the larger scale of the shop sprites makes it clear they're not merely sitting on their laurels in terms of art

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

haddedam posted:

Yeah gently caress those guys. How dare they. Fuckin get'em!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dreckbuilders, many have been calling them!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it is pretty funny to accuse mega crit of penny pinching when their reveal trailer is a 40 second long gorgeously hand animated cinematic, something you generally cannot get off of fiverr

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I do not like sts but the art rules and when id watch my friend play it I would get really happy when the lil goblin gang would show up those guys kick rear end

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

haddedam posted:

the art's cool. not every game needs to be some super high def experience. slay the spire looks unique and the art communicates what it has to, why do they need to radically change it for a sequel?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how dare these devs not spend their millions on making their game look like every other big game

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm mad I hate them

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Muddy values, awkward gestures, bad perspective etc.
Artstyle is good choice just the artist hasn't evolved.
Disappointing, it's all, especially for a professional job on a paid product.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

your perspective is bad

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
sts but with Hylics art

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
when will the greediness in game dev finally end. sick of the bull poo poo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hes not wrong that art design is straight 💩❗

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haddedam posted:

Muddy values, awkward gestures, bad perspective etc.
Artstyle is good choice just the artist hasn't evolved.
Disappointing, it's all, especially for a professional job on a paid product.
im going to muddy your values and give you an awkward gesture

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
slay the spire 2 devs in shambles after having lost the mandate of GBS

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

im going to muddy your values and give you an awkward gesture

London?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

when will the greediness in game dev finally end. sick of the bull poo poo

glad someones finally saying it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I have not seen a single screenshot of this game but I am confident saying Played (Out) & Tired!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Personally I love it when games are told to focus on gameplay over graphics and then people start complaining about the graphics

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't like it when you're browsing Steam and see some game with beautiful banner art then you click on it and it's the same old RPGmaker pixel art crap. Don't lie to me, you know what actual good art looks like!!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
STS looking like absolute poo poo is a trademark. you'd be insane to try to make the game look good. would completely destroy their brand.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

After they drew the art it didn't come out good

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Rising Tide comes out real soon and I havent even finished my FF16 NG+ run. I guess I'll just play it on normal post game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if graphical fidelity isn't meant to be a big draw for your game, which it categorically was not in StS, then it's better to stick with a recognizable house style rather than breaking the bank getting custom third party art that risks alienating the fans of your original title

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

slay the spire is one of those games thats perma-installed to my steam deck because it plays just fine undervolted to minimum and I can get 8 hours of battery life on it if need be

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
slay the spire is one of those games i have had to uninstall more than once because instead of playing new games i would just play STS

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

im simply an adult, with self control

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

homeless snail posted:

is it possible to learn this power

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I simply never heard of slay the spire.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

slay the spire is one of those games thats perma-installed to my steam deck because it plays just fine undervolted to minimum and I can get 8 hours of battery life on it if need be

It also plays quite well with touchscreen so you can play it almost anywhere comfortably.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

no

also i'm still cross with you about the jordan mechner thing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ll say it, because it has to be said, I’ll gladly eat the sixer: sts has an ugly art style.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

I’ll say it, because it has to be said, I’ll gladly eat the sixer: sts has an ugly art style.

you don't think the whale is cute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

haddedam posted:

I hope it has even worse art personally.