Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Todd howard put out the hit. The premiere with Tim Cain was the Red Wedding.

I like that The brotherhood draw everything on graphing paper and send data via grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

grobbo posted:

Everyone on Fallout reddit appears to be fighting furiously about this already, so that's a good sign.

Late, broad spoilers: They blew up the NCR, which I think we could probably have seen coming - clearly the showrunners wanted a California-set show, but there was no way they were going to have it take place in mostly-civilised farmland rather than a 'proper' wasteland. I'd rather they just scrapped the whole thing than establish the baggage of the setting in order to do away with it, but never mind.

However, the dates given onscreen appear to show that the NCR was destroyed a few years prior to the events of New Vegas, which is clearly evidence that Todd Howard planned the entire Amazon show to deliberately and maliciously retcon Obsidian's work from the timeline, as opposed to the possibility that the screenwriters really aren't paying that close attention to all of our nerd poo poo or the superior modern game, unfortunate as it may be

The year was 2277 aka the first battle of Hoover Dam, for the curious. Also the same year the courier set off the nukes in the Divide

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

3 episodes in and honestly I can't vibe with any of the criticisms I've seen. The show is great so far, especially for a Fallout fan who's played all the games. But even on its own merits, great stuff.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

grobbo posted:

Everyone on Fallout reddit appears to be fighting furiously about this already, so that's a good sign.

Late, broad spoilers: They blew up the NCR, which I think we could probably have seen coming - clearly the showrunners wanted a California-set show, but there was no way they were going to have it take place in mostly-civilised farmland rather than a 'proper' wasteland. I'd rather they just scrapped the whole thing than establish the baggage of the setting in order to do away with it, but never mind.

However, the dates given onscreen appear to show that the NCR was destroyed a few years prior to the events of New Vegas, which is clearly evidence that Todd Howard planned the entire Amazon show to deliberately and maliciously retcon Obsidian's work from the timeline, as opposed to the possibility that the screenwriters really aren't paying that close attention to all of our nerd poo poo or the superior modern game, unfortunate as it may be

The date is probably a mistake but when they move that capital several hundred miles south and replace it with a blast crater the size of a minor league stadium surrounded by undamaged cars and buildings, that's just lovely writing

Also the final episode's credit sequence has Vegas in complete ruins

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
That seems like less of a writing and more of a production design issue.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tankbuster posted:

lucy's brother looks like a bosmer 😭

It took me forever to remember where I've seen him before, he was in Ender's Game

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

I have a question about episode 1.

In the vault, the raiders said - to Lucy's dad - them or her. Then they proceeded to blow up a part of the vault.

Next scene in the vault they're all together again.

What was the "them or her" all about then?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kavak posted:

Also the final episode's credit sequence has Vegas in complete ruins

Should never of trusted Yes Man to look after things. :(

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

That seems like less of a writing and more of a production design issue.

Well it's bad something.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
they could have stenciled an 8.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I keep hearing that episode 4 is where threads begin to come together and it's pretty amazing from then until the end. Anyone here feel the same?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
currently I am checking reddit and everyone is saying chris avellone should have written the script.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
he should never write

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Tankbuster posted:

Todd howard put out the hit. The premiere with Tim Cain was the Red Wedding.

Having a Jet inhaler appear in Ep1 and the vault dweller immediately recognising what it is? That's Howard's retcon calling card, the sick bastard. He's toying with us.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Stinky videogame writer: What if I nuke New Vegas because the post-post-apocalypse is kinda limiting where the game goes

Todd Howard No.

Hollywood showrunner: What if I nuke New Vegas because the post-post-apocalypse is too expensive and hard to shoot
Todd Howard Yes.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

Stinky videogame writer: What if I nuke New Vegas because the post-post-apocalypse is kinda limiting where the game goes

Todd Howard No.

Can't you just set your next game somewhere else?

No.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
if only there was some other coast that was still in the post-apocalypse stage and prominently featured BOS

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Kavak posted:

Can't you just set your next game somewhere else?

No.

I think that was one of the ideas for an expansion that bethesda shut down when obsidian said so.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Todd's gonna need private security.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Well, watching the first episode of the show made me realize, I don't give a gently caress about FalloutTM and especially not Bethesda's take on it. The game visuals feel intrusive.

Haven't formed an opinion about the show as an independent thing, though it's feeling like content.

Thom12255 posted:

Todd's gonna need private security.

Leave it to gamers to form hate brigades, there's absolute bonkers people with axes to grind with Todd.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
dunno. This is better than Masters of the Air so far.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Screenshots re: the lore spoilerblocks

Chronologically, Fallout 3 is set in 2277 and New Vegas in 2281.

And they show an obviously ruined Vegas at the very end of E8.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

dunno. This is better than Masters of the Air so far.

It's too early for me to say, but subjectively I feel like this would work without the franchise baggage. I would enjoy this more if I knew nothing about FalloutTM.

Probably going to mainline the rest of the episode as soon as I have time. This is competent "film"making - the worst I fear is being jerked around aimlessly until they pull the plug on the show.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I know nothing of the fanchise baggage and this is great tv.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Brotherhood’s elder cleric is Michael Cristofer.

He played Philip Price on Mr. Robot.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Just watched episode 1. Really enjoyed it - all of it, actually. Not a single scene I didn't at least somewhat enjoy.

The destruction in Vault 33 actually made me sad because they'd done such a nice job of making me care in about 15 minutes. I'm glad we seem to be sticking with that place as a part of the show. Also very efficient setup of mystery with the 'you look like your mother' from the Raider leader, Overseer knowing who she was but not at first, and this Enclave talk. Hooks well planted.

The part I was most whatever on was the Brotherhood of Steel stuff, but it actually turned me around on it all pretty quickly. I especially liked the interrogation scene between Maximus and the Elder, who was very good.

Everybody on the show has watchability. It didn't lean too far into goofy at all, at least not for me. Goofiness is definitely in the mix but it's not suffocating the thing and it's more just comic relief.

I'm not huge on the Fallout games, and I don't know the lore particularly well, only completed 3+New Vegas, but I do like the world. I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion about how it matches up with that, but I'm gonna be happy to stay out of it and just take the show on its own merits.

Some really nice music, too, especially in the Brotherhood of Steel scenes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lmao at michael rapaport being torn apart by a funny bear.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Tankbuster posted:

lmao at michael rapaport being torn apart by a funny bear.

Shame it doesnt happen to him in real life.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

also thought the whole joke with lucy fooling around with her cousin all her life was good. 'we have rules about that for a reason' was a great line delivery.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

roomtone posted:

Just watched episode 1. Really enjoyed it - all of it, actually. Not a single scene I didn't at least somewhat enjoy.

The destruction in Vault 33 actually made me sad because they'd done such a nice job of making me care in about 15 minutes. I'm glad we seem to be sticking with that place as a part of the show. Also very efficient setup of mystery with the 'you look like your mother' from the Raider leader, Overseer knowing who she was but not at first, and this Enclave talk. Hooks well planted.

The part I was most whatever on was the Brotherhood of Steel stuff, but it actually turned me around on it all pretty quickly. I especially liked the interrogation scene between Maximus and the Elder, who was very good.

Everybody on the show has watchability. It didn't lean too far into goofy at all, at least not for me. Goofiness is definitely in the mix but it's not suffocating the thing and it's more just comic relief.

I'm not huge on the Fallout games, and I don't know the lore particularly well, only completed 3+New Vegas, but I do like the world. I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion about how it matches up with that, but I'm gonna be happy to stay out of it and just take the show on its own merits.

Some really nice music, too, especially in the Brotherhood of Steel scenes.

the goofiness so far is well placed in context. The pre-war stuff is surprisingly decent.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The NCR poo poo is legit super dumb, it cut off so many set up points in New Vegas that would have made for excellent stories in the future.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

So far, show good?

Seems like the courier opted for the nuke both ending

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Some actual first-half thoughts:

Most reviews seem to agree that Maximus' storyline and character is a low point, but I'm really enjoying him and the relative nuance and unpredictability with which his combination of petty awfulness and genuine courage plays out. Purnell and Goggins do a great job with character archetypes that are quite broad, and it's refreshing to have a murky rear end in a top hat of a third protagonist as a midpoint between them.

The BoS characters repeatedly panicking and messing up as they try to fight horrifying Wasteland monsters is a good and funny bit, and the Gulper design with the fingers is fantastic, just a lovely bit of monster creation.

There's a loosey-goosey carelessness that enters the storytelling pretty much as soon as Lucy leaves the Vault to keep everyone on the move and crossing paths with each other (the Ghoul noting that the Gulper digests slow and then immediately setting off on an arduous miles-away sidequest instead of just trying the baiting tactic again, for instance, is forced nonsense). No biggie, though.

For me the low points are pretty much any scene featuring regular Wastelanders like those sequences in Filly - the wackiness feels strained and not massively funny, and the generic post-apoc extras-raiding-the-prop-closet-for-bowler-hats costume design thoroughly tired at this point, which makes those bits feel very, uh, Nuka Break.

Sorry to Inkspotsheads out there, but the constant needle drops get real tired and uninspired real quick, I think (and their predictability makes the sudden bursts of original music, like the Ghoul's yodelling refrain, feel quite jarring).

The first scene with Coop is a strong highlight, as is the encounter with Roger the ghoul - I think it's fair to say that Team Nolan seems to be a better fit for the pathos than the black comedy of the setting so far.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
maximus being a petty rear end in a top hat is really charming. His power armor testing montage is pretty good characterization too, just trying to larp as a storybook knight.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

The only issue I have with full season drops vs weekly is that there are people who literally hit play the second this thing was uploaded and watched all 8 episodes in a row through the night, because it's been out for a total of 10 hours right now, and are posting about the whole season which is nearly that long.

I mean I can't stop em, and maybe I'd binge a season immediately in the .right circumstances, but the thing I like about weekly or at least staggered releases is it lets everybody have some time to get to the same point and talk about it for a while. Cos as it is, it's like, spoilers could be for ep1 or something that happens in the last 10 seconds.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Todd will pay for his crimes

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Todd will pay for his crimes

this but unironically

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
he should never have picked out the fallout IP.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This pretty good show is really bringing some of the biggest nut jobs on the internet out of the woodwork, hoo boy.

Acting like Todd Howard personally ordered every copy of New Vegas confiscated and burned.

It’s not! It’s installed on my computer right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
My flatmate is going to poo poo a loving brick over this show. He's got the metal suit helmet on his bedroom shelf.