Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Megamissen posted:

in rome 2 the countryside looks barren and the cities are big bloated blobs, gives me similar vibes to a big shopping mall parking lot on a hot day

uh yeah of course there are Roman parking lots, where do you think they parked all their chariots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

palindrome posted:

Alright I'll bite, what are the greatest strategy games of all time that Brian Reynolds and/or Johan have worked on? I don't know their body of work well enough for this to be obvious to me.

Rise of Nations? Crusader Kings 2?

the original post was FF expressing dismay that Johan is the one directing EU5

the first response was saying that of course they'd pick him to develop EU5, because he was the one who made the greatest strategy game of all time, implied to be EU4.

the joke response is that, actually, the greatest strategy game of all time, that Brian Reynolds worked on, is Alpha Centauri.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

i feel like rome 2s province system could be iterated on though, like if they did a shogun 3 provinces could start divided with one sub-province with a castle and additional village sub-provinces if they were divided in real life
if a province gets unified it fuses and the villages either become raidable targets or just a visual thing on the map

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I know it would be worse to have to wait until after Empire 2, Medieval 3, Shogun 3, god forbid the rumours are true WH40K, but to do Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages justice, the underlying games of Attila and ToB needed more dynamism, more to do on and off the map, more interactions than fighting, and the lack of those hurts the periods depicted. If CA really invested in that stuff, all of their games would improve, but particularly ones where you’re trying to do more than wage perpetual war between Rome and Carthage. Smaller polities with more varied interactions requires giving the player something to do every turn, and CA did not have that down back then.

With Warhammer, at least they have played around with different systems, interactions and so on, and Troy had multiple resources, so maybe in 10 years Attila 2 /Charlemagne / ToB (all in one game) can catch on w players.

Now, loop me in on the Wiz hate.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it took some getting used to but CA actually redesigned stuff from the ground up twice - first with the initial warscape engine takes with empire and napoleon, before perfecting it in shogun 2 - and then redid it starting with rome 2 and ending with 3 kingdoms. DEI also manages to do the Europa Barbarorum thing of actually feeling like your people are settling in real well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

but to do Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages justice, the underlying games of Attila and ToB needed more dynamism, more to do on and off the map, more interactions than fighting, and the lack of those hurts the periods depicted.

I've already decided that my next project after EU4 is Imperator Rome where I just focus on the economics and keeping pops happy and getting population growth

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

the first response was saying that of course they'd pick him to develop EU5, because he was the one who made the greatest strategy game of all time, implied to be EU4.

the joke response is that, actually, the greatest strategy game of all time, that Brian Reynolds worked on, is Alpha Centauri.

Other options are Colonization and Rise of Nations. Both very solid contenders for greatest strategy game of all time. Brian Reynolds and Peter Molyneux are strong contenders for being the greatest strategy game designers of all time. Admittedly, their latest work has not been great.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i think Wiz was responsible for some good stuff in CK2 and EU4, but got thrown into trying to salvage Stellaris at launch. Vicky 3 is all him, although I haven't played it so I have no opinion.

Vanilla EU4 is also very Johan but it got going after a few DLCs. I spent most of my time learning the game trying to beat the perfidious english as Scotland and failing a million times.

BearsBearsBears posted:

Other options are Colonization and Rise of Nations. Both very solid contenders for greatest strategy game of all time. Brian Reynolds and Peter Molyneux are strong contenders for being the greatest strategy game designers of all time. Admittedly, their latest work has not been great.

Soren Johnson imo as his work has gotten better over time.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 05:03 on Apr 11, 2024

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Victoria 3 > Victoria 2

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I know it would be worse to have to wait until after Empire 2, Medieval 3, Shogun 3, god forbid the rumours are true WH40K, but to do Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages justice, the underlying games of Attila and ToB needed more dynamism, more to do on and off the map, more interactions than fighting, and the lack of those hurts the periods depicted. If CA really invested in that stuff, all of their games would improve, but particularly ones where you’re trying to do more than wage perpetual war between Rome and Carthage. Smaller polities with more varied interactions requires giving the player something to do every turn, and CA did not have that down back then.

With Warhammer, at least they have played around with different systems, interactions and so on, and Troy had multiple resources, so maybe in 10 years Attila 2 /Charlemagne / ToB (all in one game) can catch on w players.

I think people are just mostly mad at the way pdx handled military in Vicky 3. Leaving everything to the AI is frustrating. One of the coolest things I remember doing in vicky 2 was modernizing japan and then fighting china over korea by making well balanced stacks, transporting troops and manually doing things like sending armies to land at places. It was unwielder as the timeframe dragged on but it was a rush surrounding fifty thousand qing conscripts in port arthur and deleting them with a guards division.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my only opinion of Wiz is that he managed to post himself into getting hired by Paradox by constantly outwitting the devs's attempts to crack down on Hundred Years War shenanigans with a counter-mod every time early-era EU4 got patched

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

gradenko_2000 posted:

my only opinion of Wiz is that he managed to post himself into getting hired by Paradox by constantly outwitting the devs's attempts to crack down on Hundred Years War shenanigans with a counter-mod every time early-era EU4 got patched

do you have more on this?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I can see how a lot of people would prefer to have a tacked on lovely military combat system, which is what it would have been, instead of just being completely subsumed by the spreadsheet simulator

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Attila finally making me understand what the book of revelations was all about after a diet of history channel documentaries was humorous in retrospect.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Dreylad posted:

I can see how a lot of people would prefer to have a tacked on lovely military combat system, which is what it would have been, instead of just being completely subsumed by the spreadsheet simulator

Haven't played Vicky 3 since launch but my problem with the combat system was that it promised to reduce micromanagement but then made micro dumber and worse. I constantly had to move units between the microfronts that developed and my armies were always teleporting back to my capital. You got the worst of both worlds, you couldn't ignore the janky combat system and you didn't get the pleasure of moving little guys around the map.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh, lol, that was pretty funny then. Missed the implication and sarcasm there.

I do think RoN is really good though. Maybe not an alpha centauri beater but they are both games that could have used sequels. Other than Civ: Beyond Earth

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

BearsBearsBears posted:

Haven't played Vicky 3 since launch but my problem with the combat system was that it promised to reduce micromanagement but then made micro dumber and worse. I constantly had to move units between the microfronts that developed and my armies were always teleporting back to my capital. You got the worst of both worlds, you couldn't ignore the janky combat system and you didn't get the pleasure of moving little guys around the map.

That does sound worse, fair enough!

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

palindrome posted:

I do think RoN is really good though. Maybe not an alpha centauri beater but they are both games that could have used sequels. Other than Civ: Beyond Earth

Rise of Nations did have a good sequel, it was called Rise of Legends. It took the RoN formula to a magical setting. Only three factions but they were nicely fleshed out, you had the steampunk Italians, magical Arabians, and space Mayans. I greatly enjoyed it.

It would be nice to have a historical RoN 2 though.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Oh yeah I really should try rise of legends. It reminds me of age of empires -> age of mythology which was... Ok I guess. The historical backdrop did a lot for those games but I can try some whimsical settings, why not.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Megamissen posted:

do you have more on this?

okay, on review, I might have gotten the timeline slightly wrong:

https://lparchive.org/Paradox-Hohenzollern/

Wiz was a Let's Play superstar, having played through CK1 as the Hohenzollern dynasty, then writing a full map conversion of the end-game state into an EU3 mod, and playing that to its conclusion, and then modding Victoria 1 to reflect the EU3 end-game state, and playing that to its conclusion, then modding the end of that into a HOI 2 campaign, and playing that to the end too. If it wasn't THE first Paradox mega-campaign, it was almost certainly the most well-produced one.

his next claim to fame was modding the poo poo out of Crusader Kings 2, with a mod simply titled "CK2 Plus", which greatly improved the AI and [supposedly, I don't have personal experience] the gameplay, but without dragging it down with a ton of new systems or added complexity that tends to make other "overhaul" mods less-than-ideal experiences.

it was on the back of this that Wiz worked up the gumption to apply to Paradox, and it was apparently a strong enough portfolio that he got hired.

the EU4 bit was, I think, when he was already working for Paradox, so the patches were coming in from him. The big thing was that the game starts with France and England at war with each other over the Hundred Years War, and if you won as England, you would force-through a Personal Union with France, which means France becomes your vassal, with the option of full integration/annexation later. Naturally, people kept coming up with all sorts of ways to try and win the Hundred Years War as England, and, well,

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

kind of a minor thing but it bugged the hell out of me that limitanei and comitatenses were treated as an upgradable unit tier line with one turning into the other. I think the only game I’ve seen to actually do the limes/field armies dichotomy has been LA Pythium in dominions, where limitanei can be recruited anywhere but due to limited resource capacity outside your major cities, the only way to build them up is just recruiting a few in each province a turn, until you have a defense in depth consisting of limitanei
comitatenses and palatina have very high map move so you form field armies with them and run around to deal with invasions while the limitanei slow down the enemy
of course since its dominions the mundane troops quickly become obsolete so the dynamic isn’t there for long but it’s fun while it is

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I think comitatenses are recruitable in any fort now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hadn't seen this movie so looked it up on wiki and lol:

quote:

Rules of Engagement is a 2000 American war legal drama film, directed by William Friedkin, written by Stephen Gaghan, from a story by Jim Webb, and starring Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson. Jackson plays U.S. Marine Colonel Terry Childers, who is brought to court-martial after Marines under his orders kill several civilians outside the U.S. embassy in Yemen.

Even made up atrocities have to be minimised. It's all right there in the clip!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

BearsBearsBears posted:

it works now, and is good, much like the game

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

it’s not even a minimisation, the end of the movie fully exonerates the colonel because apparently there were armed people in the crowd, and the evil prosecutors are punished, so the film expects you to look at the clip above where kids are blown away by concentrated fire and think “that is entirely justified”

the fact that this film was made before even 9/11 is wild

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

kind of surprised they haven’t at the very done a low budget command and. conquer reboot/sequel. what’s the point of buying and squatting on all those IPs if you’re not going to actually use them?
simcity too, it’s been 10 years since that last disaster

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They released a C&C remaster last year

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dreylad posted:

CA should have never abandoned the 2d risk map from medieval 1

This person knows whats up.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Dreylad posted:

CA should have never abandoned the 2d risk map from medieval 1

I think the 3D map has its virtues but Medieval 1's campaign is still really good to play now. It's a shame that the UI and controls in battles are so loving horrible to play now with the benefit of two decades of quality of life iteration, though.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

FrancisFukyomama posted:

kind of surprised they haven’t at the very done a low budget command and. conquer reboot/sequel. what’s the point of buying and squatting on all those IPs if you’re not going to actually use them?
simcity too, it’s been 10 years since that last disaster

they did a remaster of the original red alert with lemonsky Studios (that did the warcraft 3 and Starcraft remaster) and it was mostly good.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

This person knows whats up.

In hindsight, 100% agreed.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I will have to disagree on that. There was something about planting troops on a bridge knowing you could take a fight there and it would actually appear on the map and you could use it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yea but they got rid of that

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its still there even though the procgen maps are gone now.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

I will have to disagree on that. There was something about planting troops on a bridge knowing you could take a fight there and it would actually appear on the map and you could use it.

oh right, aren’t tactical maps in the 3d map total war games an ultra magnified version of the strategic map geometry?

kind of wish they’d bring back city maps having all your buildings visible. if anything i think it’d be easier to do now that cities have limited slots; you could just just have static maps with 8 empty tiles that you fill with the appropriate building

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

There's no way they ever do it right, especially since all of the old hands that designed the older (better) Total War games are no longer with Creative Assembly and the current state of popular history is a loving horrible mess, but I'd be a very happy man if they managed to model both the military conflicts of the period and the hilarious state of the Church.

Constantine both ruling against Arius and telling Athanasius to get tae gently caress, and then Arius shits himself to death is straight out of a Crusader Kings game.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Imperator, we've successfully sent a Christian mission to the Goths!

Unfortunately it was the wrong type of Christianity and now tensions are even worse!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
CA strives for thematic coherence over mechanical depth. A lot of the older guys were open about "yeah we wanted to make a C&C ripoff but then 3d graphics cards started arriving and we made it up as it went along." 3K being about character interactions while you match colours for instance.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Tankbuster posted:

I think there'd be ways to model that without the 3d map that'd be more interesting and more realistic - you could have province borders with defined river crossings where appropriate, and what I'd really like to see, varying defensive postures, ie - stop them at the border / river - fall back to urban centers for siege / fall back to high ground / etc, and then perhaps a random element based on the opposing skills of the commanders in how well the order is executed.

Thinking about it a little more, I think this could actually be used to make terrain and geography more meaningful - stopping the enemy at the border would obviously be the most preferable option if possible, prevents territory from being ravaged by the enemy, and prevents operational lunges deeper into your lands, but in provinces without natural borders should be a very unreliable proposition, possibly failing, or even resulting in an army being caught out on bad ground, while it should be more reliable when the borders take the form of mountain passes or major river crossings, so you have an incentive to fight to secure defensible borders beyond "the 3d map happens to only model one crossing over this river"

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 09:45 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

I honestly think CA's biggest problem is that their fans chuck a loving mad tantrum if they're not allowed to play even the most minor of factions, whereas if they just focused on making a game about running the Roman Empire or whatever, then they'd probably do a much better job. Everything else could be balanced around that central experience of running Rome.