Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

~Coxy posted:

I can tell this is fake since it's not suggesting sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

To be fair, THOSE commands do actually occasionally fix something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're not even 'blocked' it's just "hey uninstall or rename these you can revert it the update"

I’m sorry, what does this mean?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's ok to have a conversation without being a smug, condescending twerp.

Agreed.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don’t think you responded to a single one of the criticisms that people took the time to point out.

Yeah man I'm not defending it. How is this still a thing?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

One day they’ll implement an “Update and Shutdown” button that actually does what it says instead of updating and… restarting.

One day.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 10, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cross-Section posted:

One day they’ll implement an “Update and Shutdown” button that actually does what it says instead of just… restarting.

One day.

A few times I've had it shut down, but then update on next start. I've been late to e-meetings because of that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cross-Section posted:

One day they’ll implement an “Update and Shutdown” button that actually does what it says instead of updating and… restarting.

One day.

I just want to note that this worked properly in Windows 10.

Somewhat unrelatedly, I have switched my computer from 'Fast Startup' (i.e. pseudo-hibernate on Shutdown) to actual shutdowns after one power management mishap too many.

(A computer that you can't start is one thing. A computer that won't shut down, rebooting if forced, is worse.)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Quackles posted:

I just want to note that this worked properly in Windows 10.

It did work properly, but then they hosed with it to make it "update and restart and then shutdown."

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Sininu posted:

Speaking of drag and drop... They don't allow you to drag and drop files onto the explorer address bar anymore either. This is one of the things that just keeps pissing me off as I used to do that a lot.

Yeah, fixed in insider builds at least. So don't know when it's coming, but they've at least addressed it.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Vic posted:

See I don't know if the assumptions are correct here. The start menu is a quick popup menu. It disappears once you focus some other window.

I don't want it to act like an real folder view, that would be annoying.

I don't want random drag and drops from a menu that'll close as soon as that happens.
Don't know what 'random drag and drops' means - it would be just as susceptible to 'random' drag and drops as any icon anywhere. You of course default to copying the file result, you don't move from it's location.

This is how it worked in Vista/Win7, which had drag and drop from the Start Menu (as well as including email/contacts in search!). Did you find you were inadvertently dragging and dropping search results in Win7 often?

quote:

The right panel isn't pointless, it offers context sensitive actions.

Yes, and the context is so minimal as to be pointless - the options barely change from a file/folder, to an image file/video. There's plenty of empty space when 'previewing' an image for example - it just shows the image icon, not a higher resolution preview, and little of the image-specific metadata, despite there being plenty of space.

quote:

I don't want it displaying image previews. I don't want random private poo poo popping up as I'm looking for something unrelated.

If it worked like Mac OS Quicklook (and Powertoys Peek, to a lesser extent), you could just have a key combo to hit over the result and pop up a window to show a detailed preview. It doesn't appear at random.

Regardless, the space is already there now, on the right. They have an entire section for it, my point is they're not making good use of the space.

Finding what you want is of course the most important part of a search system, and a filename is often not enough - that's why you need a comprehensive (and quick) preview of the content to ensure it is, in fact, what you want. Secondly, you're searching for that data for a reason - you want to do something with it. A huge part of working with a PC is transferring data across multiple applications, and the regression in functionality from Win7's start menu means that often I'm selecting "Opening file location" and using explorer just to do the simple copy of that data into another container.

Thankfully, PowerToys Run now supports drag and drop results (a highly requested functionality, as it turns out). I just think the functionality they had for a decade+ in Vista/Win7 was returned as part of the default OS - a common theme with Windows these days.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 10, 2024

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

astral posted:

It did work properly, but then they hosed with it to make it "update and restart and then shutdown."

If it actually worked as intended, this would be fine, since the previous "update and shutdown" left the secondary part of the update (which can be just as long) to the next boot.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

One day.

For me it restarts, updates and shuts down. So works as expected. Except if you dual boot. And linux is set as default.

HalloKitty posted:

Windows 8 broke search in the start menu. It really was downhill from there, but maybe in new and exciting ways each time

I used Windows 8 from release to release of Windows 10. Search worked. Start menu was full screen, but search worked.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 10, 2024

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Win 8 was fun, and I liked customizing the colors of the patterns on the start screen.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Thankfully, PowerToys Run now supports drag and drop results (a highly requested functionality, as it turns out). I just think the functionality they had for a decade+ in Vista/Win7 was returned as part of the default OS - a common theme with Windows these days.

What setting in PowerToys enables this?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
For a "normal" user such as myself, what do I need to do with my current start all back install to keep using it and receiving updates? I guess I could use an alternative like Start 11 but I'd rather not lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Captain Yossarian posted:

For a "normal" user such as myself, what do I need to do with my current start all back install to keep using it and receiving updates? I guess I could use an alternative like Start 11 but I'd rather not lol

Nothing for now. The block thing is only on the RTM / preview of the 24H2 major update, which won't be out until later this year.

If 24H2 comes out and still includes the block the author will probably update to get around it, but for now you can ignore it.

HalloKitty posted:

Windows 8 broke search in the start menu. It really was downhill from there, but maybe in new and exciting ways each time

MikusR posted:

I used Windows 8 from release to release of Windows 10. Search worked. Start menu was full screen, but search worked.

Search on the start menu has always been in a superposition of working and broken, because it relies on whether the search indexer is functioning correctly.

The way that indexer will just poo poo the bed occasionally is an amazing running gag.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Klyith posted:

Nothing for now. The block thing is only on the RTM / preview of the 24H2 major update, which won't be out until later this year.

If 24H2 comes out and still includes the block the author will probably update to get around it, but for now you can ignore it.

Search on the start menu has always been in a superposition of working and broken, because it relies on whether the search indexer is functioning correctly.

The way that indexer will just poo poo the bed occasionally is an amazing running gag.

Cool thanks buddy

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

god please help me posted:

Win 8 was fun, and I liked customizing the colors of the patterns on the start screen.

It became even better when they added animated start button.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What setting in PowerToys enables this?

It's part of PowerToys Run- their own search implementation.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Ex-MS senior software engineer (13 years): drat this poo poo sucks

https://twitter.com/anerdguynow/status/1777764221088129227

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 10, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Huh, y'all weren't exaggerating.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Huh, y'all weren't exaggerating.

To be fair that behavior shown in that tweet is abnormal, but I've seen numerous industry veterans bitch about how sluggish Win11 is in general, especially Explorer.

Like I'm just playing around with Ubuntu recently and jfc it's amazing to see a fully-populated file context menu appear instantly. So much of Win11's UI has that xaml-bolted-onto-w32 jank feel.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i had to sit at our office admins computer today to fix her scanner and clicking search on the taskbar literally just would not work

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
doesn't break on my machine (tm)

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
I've gotten some weird/sluggish behavior like that for sure, maybe not so much recently, probably because they have been fixing stuff. But if something so core to the OS as the drat Start Menu fails/lags so horrendously even once you start losing trust in it. It's really bad.

I remember pretty soon after W11 released Task Manager would consistently crash if I set the default tab to Performance on launch and then try to switch to Processes. Task Manager should be rock solid. I understand that every piece of software longer than 10 lines of code will have bugs, but Task Manager is what users rely on when other software is acting up, it kind of needs to anchor the show.

Last year Dave Plummer, one of the OG MS devs who wrote the original Task Manager, made a video on its origin story. Now I'm no software dev, but the impression I got was that that it was basically hacked together by him with little cross-company consultation and shipped with the OS, which seemed very odd. I understand that this was forever ago and that MS resisted including such a "low level" tool for end users, so it was his pet project. But it made me wonder how fast and loose the culture is at MS, and based on what I've read on the corporate environment there since, I'm not exactly filled with confidence that someone is willing to take responsibility for how things perform out of the box.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 11, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
So far the only time the Start Menu has been notably bad for me in ~6mo of W11 is when it bugged out and nothing would happen when clicking the button. May have been related to Windows Update since the machine rebooted that night and the problem went away.

The lock screen is absolutely terrible though, it used to be you could slam the keyboard and start typing your password and it would work but now it needs a bit of time before it starts registering inputs. Worst of all it seems inconsistent with how much time it needs so I have to give it a full second before continuing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Windows 10 vs 11 question.

Building a PC this coming weekend for a family member who plays some games and uses it for normal PC poo poo. Won't be a work from home PC. We all use win 10. This PC is using a 12700k, with e-cores. Should I just install win11 on this machine? I figured a list might make this easier:

1. How similar is win11 to win10 in terms of me troubleshooting issues on the machine?
2. How different is it to use (as an only-computer) for someone who has used windows their whole life but doesn't generally have a lot of tolerance for frustrating computer poo poo?
3. Is there anything to be aware of in terms of networking/filesharing between win10 and win11?
4. The PC would be used without a PW, in win10 this would be a local account etc, is there any weirdness in win11 with that?
5. If I do go for win11, should I install direct to win11 somehow or install win10 then 'upgrade' to win11 immediately? I would be buying a key from SA Mart.

On the flip side:
6. How much am I giving up using a cpu with e-cores on win10?
7. Are there still issues with win10 assigning tasks to the e-cores?

8. Is there a referral bias where everyone in this thread loves win11 and everyone in a win10 thread somewhere loves win10?

Thanks goons.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Good example.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Building a PC this coming weekend for a family member who plays some games and uses it for normal PC poo poo. Won't be a work from home PC. We all use win 10. This PC is using a 12700k, with e-cores. Should I just install win11 on this machine? I figured a list might make this easier:

1. How similar is win11 to win10 in terms of me troubleshooting issues on the machine?
2. How different is it to use (as an only-computer) for someone who has used windows their whole life but doesn't generally have a lot of tolerance for frustrating computer poo poo?
3. Is there anything to be aware of in terms of networking/filesharing between win10 and win11?
4. The PC would be used without a PW, in win10 this would be a local account etc, is there any weirdness in win11 with that?
5. If I do go for win11, should I install direct to win11 somehow or install win10 then 'upgrade' to win11 immediately? I would be buying a key from SA Mart.

On the flip side:

8. Is there a referral bias where everyone in this thread loves win11 and everyone in a win10 thread somewhere loves win10?

Thanks goons.

I believe in that case you really need Windows 11 - I'm going from memory, but I'm not sure Windows 10 will work at all, and if it does it will have significant issues. If someone here knows better please feel free to correct and insult me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you want to use a local account with no password, and it's a primarily games machine, I would disable the e-cores in BIOS and run Win 10.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Win 11 is quite mature/stable now, and will properly support the E cores. Just install Win 11 directly and remove/hide some of the bloat for them if you are feeling kind. Win 10 is losing support in Oct '25, might as well set your friend up with what will last.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Unless you go 2021 ltsc iot win 10 (imo peak windows of those builds in support), there's no real reason to install 10 now, and the e-cores are scheduled better on 11. I say that simply because the mainstream win 10 updates run out next year, so you'll have to do something then anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

He seems to be running VS Code, that's what's wrong.

Though the start menu is garbage, but it seems to be slightly less bad then before. The search was completely hosed at times - you'd search for something like "Vis" and it would find Visual Studio, then you'd add one more letter - "Visu" and the result would disappear. Just bizarre stuff like that.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I like VS Code, I'll admit it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lines posted:

I like VS Code, I'll admit it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
it's the only good electron application

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's no such thing

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kirbysuperstar posted:

it's the only good electron application

It's definitely an exception. It works really well. And there's even a web version (because there should be) that works really well, only missing the actual local bits like WSL integration.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VelociBacon posted:

You just install 11. More than just 11 supporting the CPU better, the main thing is that 10 only has 1 more year of standard support before it stops getting any updates. At that point it's a security nightmare.

VelociBacon posted:

Yep. 11 is very insistent on having MS accounts. You can still install it with only a local account, but it's more complicated than just disconnecting the internet you'll need to follow the instructions.

You'll also probably want to set up the group policy to block MS accounts on the PC, because otherwise your family members will get constant dark-pattern poo poo trying to get them to make it a MS account.

VelociBacon posted:

No, plenty of people are negative about 11 ITT. The Win10 thread is locked (because 10 is EOL).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

VelociBacon posted:

On the flip side:
I set up two new-to-them computers for my father and aunt, both in their late 70's. To make it as easy as possible I did a few things, but mostly they just use it, and I haven't had a single call of "how/where is this now?" in the 2 months since I set them up.

1 - Very similar on the surface, except for the Start Menu, which is set up in the center by default. You can left-align it, so it will look more like Win10 though.
2 - see 1
3 - Filesharing in 11 has a bit more "security" to it. You will have to log in to the actual computer that is sharing using the full account password. Not the PIN or face, or any other option, the password. Once you do that then you are fine, even if you turn the computer on and off again. This one frustrated me for a while.
4 - As far as I know, with the latest version of 11 you cannot. At a minimum you have to use a PIN. 4 digits, it doesn't make you change it after xx time. I don't think you can use something like 1111, or a sequence though.
5 - Install directly. You can grab the ISO from Microsoft themselves, then put in the key during install.
6 - Quite possibly a lot from the sounds of how the family member uses the computer. The E-Cores would handle most desktop stuff, and Win10 simply doesn't know how to handle the scheduler much at all.
7 - see 6

I would grab Rufus to make the bootable USB. It will allow you to "Remove requirement for an online Microsoft account". It just works. You set up the user name, a password if you want (required though as noted for file sharing), and off you go. No need to go through the steps to do this manually. It says it can also "Disable data collection (Skip privacy questions)" I don't know if this just skips them or if it disables, I haven't tried this one before.