Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

haddedam posted:

UT2k4 onslaught was the peak of team based map control and capture point gameplay with vehicles. We have only regressed into battlefield 42 copy pastes since.

I have been running an UT2004 server recently for my friends and shockingly no one was interested. Not even the olds except for one who got super into it and made a mod that removes the lovely ADS overlay from zoom weapons.

It was just the two of us playing. UT2004 is an unpopular videogame. Humanity is doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
If I found a programmer I would make onslaught mode with less movement shooter gameplay and bit more realistic weapons. I lie awake thinking about the artillery systems ingenious implementation.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I read a pretty cool writeup by a SWG dev ages ago explaining how people were actually having fun playing SWG until they implemented Jedi and after that it just became pointless min/max poo poo to get to Jedi faster and ignore the game.

I'm sure the game still sucked poo poo but it was a fun "Jedi ruin everything" story.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

itry posted:

Just play Pharaoh/Cleopatra instead.

Pharaoh owns and the remake is good. I always get to a point where I have to wait for 20 minutes irl for a pyramid to be built but I like the time building my town even if I more or less do the same thing every time

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Emperor is my favorite of the impressions games. It's a shame they died so soon after its release.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

George posted:

I read a pretty cool writeup by a SWG dev ages ago explaining how people were actually having fun playing SWG until they implemented Jedi and after that it just became pointless min/max poo poo to get to Jedi faster and ignore the game.

I'm sure the game still sucked poo poo but it was a fun "Jedi ruin everything" story.

Haha in highschool we had a work program where you spent a week at some job related to what you wanted to do. I went to Sony online in Austin and they were working on Galaxies and some superhero MMO idk came out or not. The main person in charge of directing us around was very positive about the New Game Experience and figured I'd like it because I had played WoW. I mentioned how I had heard the original version was amazing with getting to build your own shop or weird jobs in the city, I just never got to try it. He was like yeah but this is really cool and the first day we kinda just played the game as testers to log bug reports and whatnot.

The first quest was like Boba Fett and Darth Vader and whoever else standing around in some hotel or bar lobby and I had to talk to them to get my first class quests. Just standing around next to generic normal level 1 quest type NPCs. They were working on some new kashyyk expansion and I mostly found ways to fall off the world or get out of bounds.

One of the other days we hung out with a programmer and dude had WoW and EVE running on his other monitors (but not EQ2 which a lot of the team had worked on). He was not shy about making GBS threads on the NGE, or WoW, EVE was his true love it seemed.

Him and the other programmer in the room agreed the new system was at least more routine and streamlined on their end, if more boring and making a game experience they thought was worse overall.

We got to help design some quests by their templates, dunno if they made it in game or not, but it was basically setting some objectives and flags to get the rewards. Go do some killing for some wookie kinda stuff. Weren't really that many options for things to actually do in a quest, not that most MMOs of that style have very involved quest systems.

We got free copies of the game when we left and I don't think either of us actually installed or played it at home. I did get that kid to join my guild in WoW though.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

itry posted:

Just play Pharaoh/Cleopatra instead.

Caesar III somehow has dragged me back after 25 years

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
jesus christ how could Sierra just throw away Caesar Threesar like that

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Should’ve added the Jedi class but only given it to secret dev accounts. Have them give vague and confusing tips on how they unlocked it.

Occasionally give a player access to it, and let them try to figure out what they did to get it.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I've been playing Doom Eternal. Given the size of the BFG10k, compared to the BFG9k, shouldn't the 10k be more like 10 million? Adding an extra 1k doesn't really do it justice.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's quadratic so that's much more than the leap from 1 to 9000.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Pharaoh owns and the remake is good. I always get to a point where I have to wait for 20 minutes irl for a pyramid to be built but I like the time building my town even if I more or less do the same thing every time

I used to really like making whatever in that game. The combination of art style, music, and sound effects made for some real chill city building.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Vic posted:

I have been running an UT2004 server recently for my friends and shockingly no one was interested. Not even the olds except for one who got super into it and made a mod that removes the lovely ADS overlay from zoom weapons.

It was just the two of us playing. UT2004 is an unpopular videogame. Humanity is doomed.

A bunch of people were playing it at PAX East in PCFP on Friday and Saturday; I'd be walking people to their machines and there would be UT2k4 in all it's 1024x768 glory.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

itry posted:

I used to really like making whatever in that game. The combination of art style, music, and sound effects made for some real chill city building.

Seeing pots / rolls of linen / baskets of figs pile up in the storage yards :yayclod:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

itry posted:

I never bought it because I spent like 2 hours straight watching a long play without doing anything else and realized if I bought the game I'd easily have huge gaps of missing time for the next few months.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Strategic Tea posted:

Seeing pots / rolls of linen / baskets of figs pile up in the storage yards :yayclod:

:yeah:

Khanstant posted:

I never bought it because I spent like 2 hours straight watching a long play without doing anything else and realized if I bought the game I'd easily have huge gaps of missing time for the next few months.

Oh, yeah. Definitely a downside to this type of games. You can just free build forever.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I like seeing my perfectly partitioned storage yards fill up and then empty when the trader comes by

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I started playing and realized the art style kinda ruined it for me.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I couldn't get into Pharaoh that much, but I've played the absolute poo poo out of Zeus

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I don't think they should be called video games, instead call them interactive entertainment.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Does anyone else have that thing where they just bounce off most games almost immediately and then find something they like and goes absolutely all in on it? I’ve played so much garbage and then Helldivers turns up and I’m already buying T shirts and mugs lol

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

QIE ffs

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

smellmycheese posted:

Does anyone else have that thing where they just bounce off most games almost immediately and then find something they like and goes absolutely all in on it? I’ve played so much garbage and then Helldivers turns up and I’m already buying T shirts and mugs lol

I find that nowadays, I'll be excited to play a big fancy game that uses my graphics card, and I'll play it, and it will feel like work. Like, I'm a few hours into Wolfenstein 2: The New Collosus, Observer, Atomic Heart and Metro Exodus, and every time I look at them on my desktop I just open Apex, Valorant, Lol or MTG Arena, where I can dip in and out. I'll end up spending a bunch of time playing those things, that I could spend playing one of the meatier titles, but while I'm playing them I feel like I'm wasting time somehow, despite the fact I should really feel much more that way about the 'empty calorie quick snack' games I'm playing instead.

I think something is breaking / broken in my brain. This never used to be the case. I'm not even really playing the good lengthy games on my Playstation anymore, opting to play hours of street fighter 6 instead of finishing God of War or Plague Tale: Requiem. A friend once pointed out to me that I like hard games, and that is absolutely not something I thought true of myself, but him saying it makes me wonder if that's what it is; these longer single player experiences don't challenge me as much? Not sure.

gently caress Observer is SO GOOD I really really don't know why I haven't gone back to it. I'm not going to today either. But I cant say why, just a weird mental block.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

George posted:

Yeah, the fantasy of a jedi involves it being rare but a lot of people want that fantasy so it doesn't really actually work in the context of making a multiplayer world. I think at some point we learned that big massively online multiplayer worlds aren't actually the best way to implement game ideas. Let the jedi do their thing in singleplayer games, where the ai mooks are more than happy to get punked in various ways. I'm glad the massive online world has kind of become a lot less common, it was stifling. Of course with it came the developer realization that what actually hooked people in these giant worlds were watching bars go up and they implemented bars going up into literally every single game.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Outpost22 posted:

I don't think they should be called video games, instead call them interactive entertainment.

when i was a wee boy, here in the uk they were all just "computer games". console or pc or whatever they all just got called that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, the fantasy of a jedi involves it being rare but a lot of people want that fantasy so it doesn't really actually work in the context of making a multiplayer world. I think at some point we learned that big massively online multiplayer worlds aren't actually the best way to implement game ideas. Let the jedi do their thing in singleplayer games, where the ai mooks are more than happy to get punked in various ways. I'm glad the massive online world has kind of become a lot less common, it was stifling. Of course with it came the developer realization that what actually hooked people in these giant worlds were watching bars go up and they implemented bars going up into literally every single game.

There's also just the gameplay factor. If you're a Jedi you have a laser sword, telekinesis, super agility and etc., things that are easy to translate into gameplay. If you're a seedy droid merchant with a scrotum for a face that's a cool concept but it's a lot harder to translate into compelling gameplay, especially in a general purpose role playing game rather than a specialized seedy droid merchant game.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Moon Monster posted:

There's also just the gameplay factor. If you're a Jedi you have a laser sword, telekinesis, super agility and etc., things that are easy to translate into gameplay. If you're a seedy droid merchant with a scrotum for a face that's a cool concept but it's a lot harder to translate into compelling gameplay, especially in a general purpose role playing game rather than a specialized seedy droid merchant game.

And this is the problem with mmorpgs in general: pretty much everyone wants to be the biggest badass and that's so loving boring, and that's the main reason that Ultima Online was the only MMORPG that was a) good and b) actually an RPG.

The world needed real people to play blacksmiths. In order to get your gear repaired, you had to hand it over to an actual person that may or may not just run away with it. So if you were playing a smith you had to build up a reputation as being good at your job and also not a thief. People would talk about you and recommend you. So you'd be given the equipment and a pile of money to repair someone's gear. This was a viable way to play the game and earn enough to buy property., and was also a lot of fun.

RPGs are only fun if everyone plays their role, and that means that sometimes you're not the biggest, baddest guy kicking rear end in the room. I earned my first million (more than enough to buy a house) in UO by offering my services as an 'epic poet' that would chronicle the adventures of heroes going into dungeons and fighting monsters into a book - and the game (at one point) supported player-written books becoming things that just existed in-game and could be bought from NPCs. At one point I ran the world's first mmorpg restaurant. I had real people logging in to play staff to random people turning up.

Lots of us as guild leaders used to club together to come up with storylines that would be fun for the hundreds of people in our community and it was almost always fun for everyone involved (a couple of ego clashes happened sometimes, but 95% of the time it was pretty seamless).

I don't think it's possible for that kind of experience to exist ever again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Playing a blacksmith in an mmorpg has no longevity except for already extremely broken-brained players, who are so few and far between that there's not much point in appealing to them directly.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Quote-Unquote posted:

And this is the problem with mmorpgs in general: pretty much everyone wants to be the biggest badass and that's so loving boring, and that's the main reason that Ultima Online was the only MMORPG that was a) good and b) actually an RPG.

The world needed real people to play blacksmiths. In order to get your gear repaired, you had to hand it over to an actual person that may or may not just run away with it. So if you were playing a smith you had to build up a reputation as being good at your job and also not a thief. People would talk about you and recommend you. So you'd be given the equipment and a pile of money to repair someone's gear. This was a viable way to play the game and earn enough to buy property., and was also a lot of fun.

RPGs are only fun if everyone plays their role, and that means that sometimes you're not the biggest, baddest guy kicking rear end in the room. I earned my first million (more than enough to buy a house) in UO by offering my services as an 'epic poet' that would chronicle the adventures of heroes going into dungeons and fighting monsters into a book - and the game (at one point) supported player-written books becoming things that just existed in-game and could be bought from NPCs. At one point I ran the world's first mmorpg restaurant. I had real people logging in to play staff to random people turning up.

Lots of us as guild leaders used to club together to come up with storylines that would be fun for the hundreds of people in our community and it was almost always fun for everyone involved (a couple of ego clashes happened sometimes, but 95% of the time it was pretty seamless).

I don't think it's possible for that kind of experience to exist ever again.

For similar reasons, I have the extremely unpopular video game opinion that Star Wars:Battlefront 2 (the first one) is worse than The first Battlefront (the first one). Hero units ruined the entire point of the game where you and your teammates are a giant swarm of disposable grunts charging a trench line. But no everyone just had to play as Darth Vader instead of a Stormtrooper. I think there were more “heroes only” servers than one’s playing the actual game.

That and I didn’t like the classes or “control feel”compared to the first games, or that the much beloved space battles were actually kinda crap if you had played the Rogue Squadron or Starfighter games.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

galagazombie posted:

For similar reasons, I have the extremely unpopular video game opinion that Star Wars:Battlefront 2 (the first one) is worse than The first Battlefront (the first one). Hero units ruined the entire point of the game where you and your teammates are a giant swarm of disposable grunts charging a trench line. But no everyone just had to play as Darth Vader instead of a Stormtrooper. I think there were more “heroes only” servers than one’s playing the actual game.

That and I didn’t like the classes or “control feel”compared to the first games, or that the much beloved space battles were actually kinda crap if you had played the Rogue Squadron or Starfighter games.

Also the heroes had basically no downside. its like quad damage or the elite kits from battlefield 1 - it seems like a good idea, because players would naturally fight over these spots, but they end up being camped/abused

I feel the same way about killstreaks in CoD. It seems like a good idea - encourage players to live longer and not be fodder - but in reality it encourages spawncamping, map glitches, and other dumb bullshit.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

galagazombie posted:

SW:BF1 was way better than SW:BF2, even though cis vs republic was so unbalanced as to be unplayable.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

smellmycheese posted:

Yeah, spent a few hours on Dragon's Dogma 2, decided I wasn't feeling it. Bought Gravity Rush on a sale and proceeded to spend double the amount of time I spent on the much longer open world RPG. Sometimes you just don't vibe with something, I don't think it's necessarily a problem.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

SW:BF1 was way better than SW:BF2, even though cis vs republic was so unbalanced as to be unplayable.

I will never forgive them replacing the Dark Troopers Laser Shotgun with a mall cop taser.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

syphon filter was always the greater game anyway

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Playing a blacksmith in an mmorpg has no longevity except for already extremely broken-brained players, who are so few and far between that there's not much point in appealing to them directly.

Yeah, the only real payoff is social standing among no-lifers on an MMO server.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

The Moon Monster posted:

You joyless wieners I'm gonna peddle fishcakes and there's nothing you can do about it

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Lol I remember back in the glory days of everquest a lot of high level people would just hang out in a common area and preen.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I bought the new mario and that game is not for adults. They have some mild platforming challenge levels but otherwise hold no real value for somebody with any experience at all. Its just completely unengageing besides that aesthetic that only gets you so far. Nintendo adults are kidding themselves.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I 100% it in like 15 hours, a perfect game. More short tightly tuned games with zero filler, please. Some of the hardest levels ate up like 30-50 lives which is a good place to be for people like me who grew up with video games but feel like "getting gud" is a chore. Adults don't have time for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I hear that, I played Dino Crisis not that long ago and whenever I would hit a puzzle I'd try to figure it out for a few minutes. If I couldn't figure it out, I went online for the solution so I could keep playing.

I'm sorry, I don't have time for "git gud" kind of stuff anymore.