Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

lumpentroll posted:

Gerald R. Ford Presidential Foundation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tX6jdoruH8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

RadiRoot posted:

not knowing what a land acknowledgment is but it sounds maybe dumb?

it is bragging about wiping out a native american people and taking their stuff

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
we acknowledge that this land is sacred. ok now start the drilling please.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
we acknowledge that this land was from the river over there and then to the sea.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Willa Rogers posted:

the post in which I found leon to be lyin' about my obsession with him:

and it was just so bizarre, bc it was coming from the guy who posts dnc propaganda every workday throughout the workday as if he's getting paid to do so, and bc the faux concern was so passive/aggro.

the entire thing is just gross, what a total embarrassment, what kind of bizarre gatekeeping of posts poo poo is that

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the superior will

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

VitalSigns posted:

It's fine it's just a different story than Dolly's version.

I do like Dolly's better tho

I know, I think I'm just annoyed with the overly repetitive and obvious I'm a queen / don't even think of taking my cheating rear end in a top hat husband that no one in their right mind would want anyway
This album feels like it wants to be lemonade in vibes but with cute cowgirl outfits, because she just wants to make some money
I realize I probably sound cynical, nothing unusual about this type of thing in general, but sometimes it feels very obvious and heavy-handed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RadiRoot posted:

not knowing what a land acknowledgment is but it sounds maybe dumb?

a land acknowledgement is when you say out loud that you acknowledge that the land you are speaking from was stolen from Native Americans

the irony is that the person who does this, assaulted a protester that stood against Israel stealing land from Palestinians

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
well zionists think it was their land that was originally stolen so maybe they just acknowledge themselves?

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

RadiRoot posted:

well zionists think it was their land that was originally stolen so maybe they just acknowledge themselves?

It disturbs me that this is the likely explanation

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

a land acknowledgement is when you say out loud that you acknowledge that the land you are speaking from was stolen from Native Americans

the irony is that the person who does this, assaulted a protester that stood against Israel stealing land from Palestinians

Do these people even bother with saying what nation/tribe it was?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

its a thing

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Joementum posted:

I would like for any of these people to explain how he is worse than GWB

like, that’s not ancient history

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Do these people even bother with saying what nation/tribe it was?

oh they will, especially if the land belongs to a tribe that still exists that they provide absolutely no financial renumeration to

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Stop & Fisk

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

World War Mammories posted:

remembering when john bolton was really horny about invading venezuela and trump got bored of the idea because he correctly identified juan guaido as a giant loser

https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/1776965011962990959

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

RadiRoot posted:

I think it's more that liberals are perfectly willing to do land acknowledgements for Palestinians, the Palestinians just need to be exterminated as much as the Native Americans, first

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it's more that liberals are perfectly willing to do land acknowledgements for Palestinians, the Palestinians just need to be exterminated as much as the Native Americans, first

precisely

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Joementum posted:

I would like for any of these people to explain how he is worse than GWB

like, that’s not ancient history

Asking this question will grant you a litany of decorum-based reasons from any liberal within earshot. Many of them will start with the stormy daniels thing.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

[ELIZA AND WOMEN]
Helpless!
Look into your eyes, and the sky’s the limit I’m helpless!
Down for the count, and I’m drownin’ in ‘em

[ELIZA]
I have never been the type to try and grab the spotlight
We were at a revel with some rebels on a hot night
Laughin’ at my sister as she’s dazzling the room
Then you walked in and my heart went “Boom!”
Tryin’ to catch your eye from the side of the ballroom
Everybody’s dancin’ and the band’s top volume

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/hypo_cube/status/1778225686802505778

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Culture war/identity politics has been the greatest gift to the single party state since Bush. Just kneel around with kinte cloth and gather some token reps to trot out as proof of progression then reap the fundraising when you do nothing to actually help anyone but themselves.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lin Manuel-Turtle posted:

Laughin’ at my sister as she’s dazzling the room
Then you walked in and my heart went “Boom!”

Man, that's a fuckin dire rhyme

Asproigerosis posted:

Culture war/identity politics has been the greatest gift to the single party state since Bush. Just kneel around with kinte cloth and gather some token reps to trot out as proof of progression then reap the fundraising when you do nothing to actually help anyone but themselves.

It's wild how so many people just straight-up cannot accept - or even consider - the idea that the US might just functionally be a one-party state. The idea that our partisan politics represent a real and meaningful divide is just so deeply integral to most Americans' understanding of the world. You may as well ask them to consider that the Earth might be flat.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 09:26 on Apr 11, 2024

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Man, that's a fuckin dire rhyme

it'll get worse in this song

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

It's wild how so many people just straight-up cannot accept - or even consider - the idea that the US might just functionally be a one-party state. The idea that our partisan politics represent a real and meaningful divide is just so deeply integral to most Americans' understanding of the world. You may as well ask them to consider that the Earth might be flat.

On its face, I agree with this. However if you made me argue against it, I'd say that the nonvoters and apolitical and critically, the Trumpers, would agree with this premise at least at its core. Nonvoters and the apolitical obviously see no utility in voting and presumably that's because they either don't think voting makes a difference and while that's not the same as saying whichever political party is in charge is the same, it's at least acknowledging that they themselves have no control over it.

Trumpers would also say there isn't a difference, except they would argue things you or I would probably disagree with, such as that Trump does offer something outside of the two parties. I think they could argue that the status quo's rejection of Trump is proof that he's outside the system and I'd probably be with them until this point.

Where I'd diverge is in the belief that Trump can do anything from within electoral politics to entrench lasting, meaningful change on this point. I'd argue Trump's ceiling is showing the incredible amount of resistance to acting outside of the two parties' dogmas and laying bare simply how baked in the one-but-two party system actually is. Trump did occasionally veer into actually affecting meaningful policy and every time bipartisan support appeared out of the vapor to stop him. (One example was how they immediately passed a bill to prevent the President from stopping a military action that he has the authority to start under the Iraq Resolution.)

I guess the tl;dr is that yes, most politics-followers would agree with this but I think in practice the public both understands the differences are aesthetic and that de facto the parties are mostly in agreement, while at the same time acknowledging that some of those aesthetic differences do have meaningful consequences (abortion, minority rights, etc).

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

It’s like sovereign citizen law magic dressed up like Marxist analysis

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Egg Moron posted:

It’s like sovereign citizen law magic dressed up like Marxist analysis

I’m unable to move the dems leftward while they use flags with gold fringe.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Context: it's their house, they're supposed to be there!

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me I'm hot. Taxes they'll be lower. The democratic vote for me is right thing to do Philadelphia. So do.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Did an AI write this

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Someone found Raenir's blog.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/hypo_cube/status/1778225686802505778

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
My first exposure to the idea of land acknowledgements was some podcast for a company that was actively engaging in union busting.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the author just has a dream where the dem 'center-left' part can overcome the republicans and through owning the totality of the political appartus schisms into a center-left and center party with a new leftward 'political mean' as sorta of center axis. That already exist, its called California.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

shut up old man

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmao I gave this guy my money

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/PushBidenLeft/status/1778413615357341830

IMO this guy is mostly just salty the Biden's Wins account ate his lunch

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

moths posted:

Ween's country album loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/PushBidenLeft/status/1778413615357341830

IMO this guy is mostly just salty the Biden's Wins account ate his lunch

I'm glad that guy is mad. He sucks poo poo.