Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

silicone thrills posted:

It takes like 3 hours to get a license in the US which doesn't help.

I didn't get one until i was 22ish which meant i never had to go through any drivers ed. I just took a short test for a permit. Practiced in a friends car for a bit. Bought my own. Took that to the dmv. Took another written test that was almost entirely focused on legal alcohol limits and dui law and then got in the car with a tester. Did an around the block and parallel parked behind the dmv and scored an 86. Walked out fully legal to drive. Im 36 now and Ive never had to retest or even prove i can even still see. Ive renewed my license online every time except when i got married and needed to change my name on it.

The whole system here is comical.

A friend of mine went to get a state id and they handed him a drivers license on accident and he was like "wow cool" and that's how he learned to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Driving in your countries sounds like a nightmare. I'm just wondering has anyone here from the US drive in scandinavia or maybe even Germany? And how did it compare to home?

My take on places I've driven in Europe compared to US:

Northeast US: predictable aggressive decisive

Mid-Atlantic US: unpredictable aggressive decisive

Midwest US: predictable passive decisive

Northwest US: unpredictable passive indecisive

Southwest US: unpredictable aggressive indecisive

Florida: unpredictable, mix of ultra aggressive decisive and ultra passive indecisive. Mad Max meets blind octogenarians.

Norway: very similar to Midwest US

Iceland: there is no one else on the road here

Scotland: predictable decisive, less aggressive than Northeast US but more than Midwest US

Italy: aggressive decisive, more predictable than Mid-Atlantic US but less than Northeast US

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 11, 2024

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Driving in your countries sounds like a nightmare. I'm just wondering has anyone here from the US drive in scandinavia or maybe even Germany? And how did it compare to home?

My experience is not recent but I spent 2 weeks in germany for work several years ago and was astonished that everyone obeyed the lowered speed limits near towns on the autobahn.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bossy lady posted:

My experience is not recent but I spent 2 weeks in germany for work several years ago and was astonished that everyone obeyed the lowered speed limits near towns on the autobahn.

the unwritten but universally understood rule of always speeding in north america is one of the strangest parts of our driving culture. when i was in school, the civil engineers described designing roadways (especially highways) with the assumption that all motorists are speeding by some % factor. we put up speed "limit" signs, most interpret them as a speed "minimum", and then exceed that posting by a predictable amount. very odd

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

loved driving in Austria, Czechia, and Germany. Very orderly and skilled drivers. France isn't bad either, but Italy is absolutely terrifying. I will never drive there again. England is ok (better than the US by a bit). Scotland is good but they absolutely want to murder you as a pedestrian, and ditto for New Zealand.

The Scottish highlands are kinda fun because they are absolutely empty with one lane roads w/pullouts that have 70 mph speed limits. There's good sight distances due to lack of trees, so its not as bad as it sounds.

Cerekk posted:

Italy: aggressive decisive, more predictable than Mid-Atlantic US but less than Northeast US
gonna have to disagree with you there. I've never experienced the unpredictability and insanity of drivers there outside of Florida.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 11, 2024

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

Wow, the drivers from [INSERT LOCAL TOWN]sure do suck!

Atopian posted:

The drivers from (NON-LOCAL AREA) that I visited outside of normal commuting times sure seemed more relaxed though!

Well, you tried lol

E: around here traffic enforcement went away because the pigs are still pouting about the mildest push back from the BLM days

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the unwritten but universally understood rule of always speeding in north america is one of the strangest parts of our driving culture. when i was in school, the civil engineers described designing roadways (especially highways) with the assumption that all motorists are speeding by some % factor. we put up speed "limit" signs, most interpret them as a speed "minimum", and then exceed that posting by a predictable amount. very odd

That's just good old American Exceptionalism.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

tactlessbastard posted:

Well, you tried lol

anyone who thinks drivers are the same everywhere has never driven anywhere

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
People speed because the roads are super wide, mostly straight-aways, and the time it takes you to get home is one of the only variables in your control (somewhat) that can help you get just a few minutes rest before the next ad blares in your face. I'd also be curious to see the average distances and time of the commute. In Canada it's something like half an hour to an hour.

For 15 minute cities, my only concern really is the infrastructure of opening up so many businesses with the expectation of staff availability around the location and not see there be a weird zoning push where it just gentrifies people who would benefit the most from a 15 minute city out of them in favour of empty buildings getting passive rent seeking income

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A percentage (in the majority) of the square footage of housing is restricted to occupancy by residents that have their primary source of income within the city limits, and probably some kind of income cap to count for the ratio. Using a residential unit for short term app rental stuff within the city is prohibited, must be a licensed hotel

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 11, 2024

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

euphronius posted:

I think the connection to covid is also because covid causes brain damage

a lot of stuff itt is either caused or exacerbated by the aggregate loss of cognitive ability of the general population from severe or repeated infections affecting the brain and central nervous system, plus all the other stuff making people stupider without much of anything making them smarter

millions of mini lobotomies add up

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

dreezy posted:

a lot of stuff itt is either caused or exacerbated by the aggregate loss of cognitive ability of the general population from severe or repeated infections affecting the brain and central nervous system, plus all the other stuff making people stupider without much of anything making them smarter

millions of mini lobotomies add up

Megadeath. Microplastics. Minilobotomies. 2024.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Smartphones and the toxic app ecosystem on them

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Atopian posted:

Megadeath. Microplastics. Minilobotomies. 2024.

Don't forget lead being intentionally added to spices to increase their weight so they can sell them for more!!

Metalfeed

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Toxoplasmosis taking over our kindest citizens....

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Atopian posted:

Brakey wakey wakey

a wee boot scrompy

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This is also how I roll, but at some point in the last year etiquette on I-95 suddenly changed and now people pass on both the far left and far right. It's goddamn infuriating. The next time I'm going 5 over in the rightmost lane and some foreskin wrinkle in a Dodge Challenger flies up my rear end I'm just gonna tap my brakes and get loving paid.

It's extra dangerous because Maryland is inexplicably horny for comically short dual purpose on/offramps. I'm waiting for the day some dude in a Brodozer pulverizes whatever poor sap is trying to merge onto the highway.

This is prettty typical every morning I drive to work, that is, when I don't just decide to work from home. The far left lane will be a line of cars moving 60-70 and you'll always have someone who aggressively tailgates for a while like that's going to make the 100 cars ahead of them go faster before using an opening in the far right lanes to speed up and continue to pass people because there are less cars in that lane because of an exit or whatever. Then a mile later they're back behind again.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

I love paying $2 at a vending machine for an Arizona that says on the loving can exactly the opposite of what I paid

I think I've complained about vending machines here already. Now that no one has cash on them anymore they all have card readers, but the card readers are always broken and then if you do have cash you're probably out of luck because they only accept exact change.

Also at my old workplace the way the vending machine billing appears on your card statement was convoluted. Like it would be a $5 hold then $5 reimbursed then another $2.20 charged. Someone actually put up an angry note on one of them saying not to use it because THEY STOLE $5 FROM ME.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Also at my old workplace the way the vending machine billing appears on your card statement was convoluted. Like it would be a $5 hold then $5 reimbursed then another $2.20 charged. Someone actually put up an angry note on one of them saying not to use it because THEY STOLE $5 FROM ME.

Having worked customer service for a major bank's credit card division, this post makes my eye twitch.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Someone invent and market a vending machine on the block chain. Pay with Dogecoin wallet, get pressed dust potato chips, and some 400lb hacker steals your wallet and NFTs

:sad:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Someone invent and market a vending machine on the block chain. Pay with Dogecoin wallet, get pressed dust potato chips, and some 400lb hacker steals your wallet and NFTs

:sad:

This is nonsense.

You'd get those horrible-looking dried strawberries.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I know Facebook has been beaten to death here, but here's two no enshittifications

1 - Apparently people can post "celebrity" accounts if the actual celebrity doesnt have a FB account. It keeps suggesting that I friend ELON MUSK PRIVATE ACCOUNT and NATALIE PORTMAN PRIVATE ACCOUNT. I tried to file complaints that they're impersonating real celebrities, but because their name doesn't come up in the list it wont accept it

2 - Fb marketplace scammers. I know that Fb marketplace is like 98% scammers anyway, but the new cleverness is for a scammer to send you a lowball listing and then report the listing for being fake. I'm not totally clear on the mechanics because i'm not a scammer, but I was trying to sell an Iphone on marketplace a few weeks ago and I got exactly one extremely low offer from someone with a 1.8 star rating. I said no, thinking that was the end of it, then I got another lowball offer from a different account that effectively picked up the conversation from the last person. I blocked both of them and then my listing flickered back and forth between "in review" until it expired with zero new offers. I deleted and relisted and had it sold within hours.

Im just going to delete this poo poo there's literally no point whatsoever in facebook anymore

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

AI generated articles are a hoot

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Vampire Panties posted:

1 - Apparently people can post "celebrity" accounts if the actual celebrity doesnt have a FB account. It keeps suggesting that I friend ELON MUSK PRIVATE ACCOUNT and NATALIE PORTMAN PRIVATE ACCOUNT. I tried to file complaints that they're impersonating real celebrities, but because their name doesn't come up in the list it wont accept it

The reporting tools suck. There's a link to a site that is clearly a scam. Can you flag it as a "scam"? No. You can call it offensive, say it's impersonating you, or 6 other stupid categories, but not SCAM.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If they are impersonating you, nothing happens through those tools.

Sending an email to legal@ and using a boilerplate DMCA takedown makes them react real quick

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

anonumos posted:

The reporting tools suck. There's a link to a site that is clearly a scam. Can you flag it as a "scam"? No. You can call it offensive, say it's impersonating you, or 6 other stupid categories, but not SCAM.

A prominent Australian businessman is trying to sue Facebook for fake bitcoin scams that used a picture of him in their ads, and Facebook is trying to claim that they don't do business in AU. :wtc:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Simple answer: "oh, OK then, we'll order all of our ISPs to block every meta dns entry and ip address to respect your wishes and protect or citizens"

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I have two from visiting London a lot

Low-hanging fruit: Google maps, either looking around my hotel ahead of time, or once I'm in it

"Is there a Boots (drugstore) around here?"
"Nope, nearest ones are miles away"
"Independent coffee shops?"
"Nah"
"Starbucks?"
"Nope"
"Supermarkets"
"Oh yeah there are like 2 tiny convenience stores, but nothing else"

Walk around outside hotel, seeing plentiful Bootses, Starbuckses, and several chain supermarkets.

And a political one: signs on lampposts from the local authority, reminding people that they need photo ID to vote :sigh:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Why is it shittier that Londoners need ID to vote?

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

London is part of England and the English have proven that they cannot be trusted with adult responsibilities.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't know about London specifically, but in the US voter ID laws are a voter suppression tactic. For example, Alabama enacted voter ID laws then closed all the department of motor vehicle offices in counties with majority black populations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Because previously they didn't, meaning a non-zero number of people in GB will be unable to vote come polling day, when previously they could (shittier), while the problem the government is pretending to solve with this - people impersonating others for in-person voting - basically doesn't exist (no reason)

Ironically, they were trying to copy-paste US tactics (e.g. Alabama above) but it turns out different places are different

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

wash bucket posted:

I don't know about London specifically, but in the US voter ID laws are a voter suppression tactic. For example, Alabama enacted voter ID laws then closed all the department of motor vehicle offices in counties with majority black populations.

I think we should be careful about assuming that what is true in one country is also true in another.

My country has required ID to vote for a few decades. It was to prevent voter fraud, where people were turning up to vote only to discover someone already voted in their name, so they were denied. It’s not a problem here, really, because 99.9% of people already have a valid ID, since you can’t do anything without one.

Edit: So would a British person be able to survive day to day without photo ID? I mean in Sweden I can’t even see a doctor, leave a blood sample etc without one. AFAIK the only people without a photo ID are newly arrived immigrants who are waiting for the ~2 weeks delivery period for their government ID.

It’s good that they’re posting reminders, so people can remember to renew if their card is expired, isn’t it?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 14, 2024

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

wash bucket posted:

It's the same reason here in the UK. Suppression. Old people have nothing better to do than vote and they overwhelmingly vote right wing. The right wing government has been loving everything up to the point where they think they can't trust the old people vote now so instead they're trying to make it harder for everyone else to vote by adding extra steps and hoping nobody notices.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

My country has required ID to vote for a few decades. It was to prevent voter fraud, where people were turning up to vote only to discover someone already voted in their name, so they were denied. It’s not a problem here, really, because 99.9% of people already have a valid ID, since you can’t do anything without one.

Ironically this is the 'reason' often given in the UK despite voter fraud amounting to absolutely gently caress all (14 actual cases in the past 4 years).

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 14, 2024

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Isn't that literally taxation without representation? I was about to say what would happen if those areas decided to not pay taxes and then I realized that the south would just throw them into plantations prison where they can make cheap products for like 10 cents a year or whatever the gently caress loophole companies use to contract slavery with extra steps.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

gently caress voter id, just go full on finger-in-ink. Better than a little "i voted" sticker too!

(Mail in voting doesn't need to exist when everyone is a frictionless sphere in a perfect vacuum)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Ironically this is the 'reason' often given in the UK despite voter fraud amounting to absolutely gently caress all (14 actual cases in the past 4 years).

Yeah, people casting fraudulent votes are usually just confused and making a mistake or they're idiots acting on their own. It never amounts to much. If you actually wanted to rat-gently caress an election that way you'd have to convince many thousands of people to commit a serious crime, risk prison time, and then keep it a secret. Not practical.

Voter suppression, on the other hand, is much easier to pull off and in many cases technically legal.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
If you want a good case study for “things that have got shittier for no good reason” the uk over the last 15 years is a shining example. Mostly because the tories cook up a problem that may not even exist, and implement a totally dogshit solution, often destroying whatever institutional expertise might have been there in the first place.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cabal Ties posted:

If you want a good case study for “things that have got shittier for no good reason” the uk over the last 15 years is a shining example. Mostly because the tories cook up a problem that may not even exist, and implement a totally dogshit solution, often destroying whatever institutional expertise might have been there in the first place.

Yes but a handful of rich men have become richer, have they not? Mission accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Edit: So would a British person be able to survive day to day without photo ID? I mean in Sweden I can’t even see a doctor, leave a blood sample etc without one. AFAIK the only people without a photo ID are newly arrived immigrants who are waiting for the ~2 weeks delivery period for their government ID.

Yes, kind of. If you don't go abroad or drive, you don't need the two most common forms (both of which cost money to acquire). There's no The Central Database of People to which IDs can be linked - rather there's a mish-mash of systems that people may or may not appear in, each with its own purpose (passports, driving licenss, NHS number (not photo ID) etc).

So proving one's identity is an ad-hoc game of piling up evidence until the requester believes you. A common way of proving your identity and address would be driving license + recent gas bill (since there's no concept of "officially living somewhere" either), but if you don't have those, it gets more esoteric.

But day-to-day, you don't need to prove your identity much. A bank card's enough to pick up a parcel from the post office.

E: as part of their plot to deputise landlords, teachers, healthcare providers and employers as border guards, life will be much easier with a passport if you're doing any of the above major life changes. Which is why the people bumbling around without ID are mostly older folks, who are more likely to vote Tory

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It’s good that they’re posting reminders, so people can remember to renew if their card is expired, isn’t it?

It is, and the majority of people will either have an ID, or be able to acquire an acceptable one before the next election. But the number of people who will be turned away due to inability, ignorance or leaving it at home and not bothering to come back out will vastly outnumber the number of actual fraud cases being prevented (single to low double digits)

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 14, 2024