Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I think it's our current topic title. I can't figure out how "sauce" maps to "didn't" but everything else fits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

fez_machine posted:

lmao watching a youtuber complain about roguelikes where you gain levels like it was an unusual flavour of ice cream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjR44qVXy7c

I watched this a few days ago and while I really did appreciate him shining a light on the early versions of Baroque because that game is dope, that part did crack me up

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone tried Moonring here?
Was just browsing for something new and stumbled across it, looked neat.

I mean, it's free, so I'm gonna give it a shot regardless, but I was curious if people here were familiar with it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Jack Trades posted:

It's like one of those "Bond Burgered" or "Nurning Annintant" posts that don't have an actual answer and are created to be engagement bait nonsense.

I think you’ll find that the discussion it created is clearly superior to the one it replaced

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Slay the Spire 2 coming to early access 2025 :yeshaha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsWNkTY_Ydk

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

beer gas canister posted:

woah!!

hi silent, my old friend

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Broken Cog posted:

I mean, it's free, so I'm gonna give it a shot regardless, but I was curious if people here were familiar with it.

It's not a roguelike, more of an old-school CRPG like Ultima. It's decent (especially for free) although I never finished it

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

beer gas canister posted:

steam page up if you want to ogle the few gameplay screenshots

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Broken Cog posted:

As said upthread, it's great, but not a rogue like. Definitely worth the price of entry.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

RoboCicero posted:

steam page up if you want to ogle the few gameplay screenshots

That's almost certainly not what the finished game is going to look like, but I'm already excited for StS but updated with new cards and encounters.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Feel like StS is one of those games that should never have a sequel, the bar is just too high. I'm 100% ready to be wrong though!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tequila Bob posted:

I think it's our current topic title. I can't figure out how "sauce" maps to "didn't" but everything else fits!

close enough

the correct answer is i never mets progression ayeee dippin like, you are the winner, ding ding ding!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sloppy posted:

Feel like StS is one of those games that should never have a sequel, the bar is just too high. I'm 100% ready to be wrong though!

Darkest Dungeon fumbled the bag really hard with its sequel. Hyper Light Drifter did decent with its followup. Silksong is never coming out. I think it's honestly really close to 50/50 for indie games.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Darkest Dungeon did decent with its followup. Hyper Light Drifter fumbled the bag really hard with its sequel.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wait did the HLD sequel come out, wtf? Was it on Epic or something?

Also I'd add Risk of Rain to the list of exceptional indie sequels -- I was extremely skeptical of the transition to 3D, but playing Risk of Rain Returns gave me new appreciation for how they managed to fix a bunch of hosed design decisions the original game had

edit: Also I'm in the Spelunky 2 Enjoyer camp but I know that's a little controversial.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Man, Inkbound has a very good combat system but those quests they make you do to unlock stuff are insufferable.
Better than during the EA but still loving awful, forcing you to grind the exact same kind of run over and over and over.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the HLD devs put out this https://store.steampowered.com/app/1867530/Solar_Ash/ but are still working on this https://store.steampowered.com/app/1534840/Hyper_Light_Breaker/

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Yeah, HLD is design perfection and one of my top 10, and Solar Ash was... pretty good! with some really neat ideas. It's a sequel only in style and world though. I'm really curious which kessons they learned in regards to Breaker.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Darkest Dungeon is too fuckin' hard!!!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's not a roguelike, more of an old-school CRPG like Ultima. It's decent (especially for free) although I never finished it

Duderclese posted:

As said upthread, it's great, but not a rogue like. Definitely worth the price of entry.

This honestly made me wonder what exactly defines a roguelike these days, because to me this plays a lot closer to the classics than a lot of the stuff that gets posted.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

This honestly made me wonder what exactly defines a roguelike these days, because to me this plays a lot closer to the classics than a lot of the stuff that gets posted.

You see, once upon a time in Berlin...

KNR
May 3, 2009
There's also the issue that Moonring would have been much better if it was less roguelike, because the randomly generated dungeons grow tedious very fast and drag the whole game down. I had a pretty good time exploring the overworld and doing the adventure game puzzles, but could not be bothered to continue after two of the eight floor relic dungeons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Turin Turambar posted:

You see, once upon a time in Berlin...

Not those Nazis, dammit, Rogue only came out in 1980.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of totally traditional roguelikes we talk on this thread....

Undermine 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRHOCClxzc8
Rogue PoP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZzOxEK7hXo
Hyper Light Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNtnKLd1AGA
Wizard of Legend 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoMNWdzUJpI
WindBlown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7-XkJcL9s4

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm not even a fan of the pixel art style that Wizards of Legend 1 had but the art style these two games use looks like absolute rear end.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SKULL.GIF posted:

Darkest Dungeon fumbled the bag really hard with its sequel. Hyper Light Drifter did decent with its followup. Silksong is never coming out. I think it's honestly really close to 50/50 for indie games.

I still have absolutely no idea how they decided that what people really wanted from a Darkest Dungeon sequel was for them to throw out all of the town stuff and dungeon crawling in order to replace it with the Standard Pattern Slay The Spire Map, rather than to refine and polish the town and dungeon crawling stuff that are a huge part of what made the game unique and well-received. It's not like they were even doing a wildly different game and wanted to stretch their wings a bit, they just did the same game again with the same characters but with more combat focus and less everything else.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I've been going for the mono-element achievements in Path of Achra. Mostly on cycle 1 so far because I figured they'd be weak builds without the cross-elemental synergies. But then I did Astral and blitzed cycle 1 so hard I bumped it back up to the highest cycle I've unlocked (17) and refined the build a bit. Destroyed cycle 17 just as effortlessly as cycle 1 and felt just as broken as any multi-element build I've done.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 11, 2024

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jack Trades posted:

I'm not even a fan of the pixel art style that Wizards of Legend 1 had but the art style these two games use looks like absolute rear end.

PoP looks gorgeous actually!

Agreed on WoL tho, it should've stayed 2D.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Kanos posted:

I still have absolutely no idea how they decided that what people really wanted from a Darkest Dungeon sequel was for them to throw out all of the town stuff and dungeon crawling in order to replace it with the Standard Pattern Slay The Spire Map, rather than to refine and polish the town and dungeon crawling stuff that are a huge part of what made the game unique and well-received. It's not like they were even doing a wildly different game and wanted to stretch their wings a bit, they just did the same game again with the same characters but with more combat focus and less everything else.

Wow, ew.

This has briefly been on my radar, but you essentially just told me the sequel kept the least enjoyable parts.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deakul posted:

PoP looks gorgeous actually!

Agreed on WoL tho, it should've stayed 2D.

PoP is trying to distract you with fancy 2D backgrounds in hopes that you won't notice the god awful 3D models.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
(DD2)

Veryslightlymad posted:

This has briefly been on my radar, but you essentially just told me the sequel kept the least enjoyable parts.

To speculate on Kanos' question, I would guess they were trying to make the game more digestible in making it run-based (even on Radiant DD1 was very grindy) but pivoted too far away in the process and pissed off a lot of people who liked the first one. I personally enjoy the second game more but clearly this isn't a popular opinion - if you read the DD thread, apparently Red Hook are introducing a new game mode this year that is sounding very Town Based.

feedback works?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think DD1 is extremely loving good, having your guys explore a dungeon makes up so much of the atmosphere, and I never wanted to get rid of that.
What I wanted was just to make curios actually tell you their outcomes and be more meaningful choices, instead of just "bring correct unexplained item or they're trash".
And then maybe it'd be nice if dungeons were more involved than just hallways. They experimented with stuff like lock/key setups in crimson court, but only in the context of extremely loving long and almost totally unrandomized dungeons, which was never a good fit

They did kind of do the mentioned curio tweaks with the sorts of choices you make on the road in dd2, but they also decided to try really hard to sand off as many of the game's rough edges as possible, such as slow(or any) town progression or backtracking in dungeons(by removing freemoving dungeon exploration altogether). But as it turns out, those rough edges contributed a lot to what the game actually was and catering towards the urge to remove "inconvenience" regardless of context is not always a good idea. If moving through dungeons can get tedious, that doesn't mean you should get rid of dungeon exploration-not in that game, anyways. It means you should try to change the incentives that make people backtrack in the first place and/or make the moment-to-moment dungeon crawl more engaging than walking down hallways.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jack Trades posted:

PoP is trying to distract you with fancy 2D backgrounds in hopes that you won't notice the god awful 3D models.

They're fine, they're animated well and they fit with the palette they got going.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wafflecopper posted:

I've been going for the mono-element achievements in Path of Achra. Mostly on cycle 1 so far because I figured they'd be weak builds without the cross-elemental synergies. But then I did Astral and blitzed cycle 1 so hard I bumped it back up to the highest cycle I've unlocked (17) and refined the build a bit. Destroyed cycle 17 just as effortlessly as cycle 1 and felt just as broken as any multi-element build I've done.

Nice! I have psychic and astral down so far, i did astral with fawdaa too and my psychic is a bit upthread

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deakul posted:

They're fine, they're animated well and they fit with the palette they got going.

Did we watch the same trailer?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

They did kind of do the mentioned curio tweaks with the sorts of choices you make on the road in dd2, but they also decided to try really hard to sand off as many of the game's rough edges as possible, such as slow(or any) town progression or backtracking in dungeons(by removing freemoving dungeon exploration altogether). But as it turns out, those rough edges contributed a lot to what the game actually was and catering towards the urge to remove "inconvenience" regardless of context is not always a good idea. If moving through dungeons can get tedious, that doesn't mean you should get rid of dungeon exploration-not in that game, anyways. It means you should try to change the incentives that make people backtrack in the first place and/or make the moment-to-moment dungeon crawl more engaging than walking down hallways.

about that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkTnnAJjJrA

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I saw in the earlier post, it's a fair assumption that it'll be closer to what I want but only time will tell.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Did we watch the same trailer?

It's pretty solid imo too, just more of a traditional animation style that I'd guess is more popular with people into that retro/throwback/timeless 24 frames aesthetic. Which the cinematic has more going on there I suppose

bobthenameless fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 11, 2024

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

i realized i owned midboss on itch from a bundle and finally am checking it out

Its possession idea is neat with the idea of mastering forms to keep and empower your main imp form.

Unsure how much legs it has and i forgot how much my brain hates isometric turn based grid movement.
My brain just dislikes mapping numpad skewed like that, constant wrong inputs. Still im interested enough to keep going and see where it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Darkest Dungeon had too much chance and way too much grind to recover what you lost on a failed run. Has darkest dungeon 2 solved any of that?