Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Neeksy posted:

Mars as habitable land is an absolute fantasy considering we don't have surplus poo poo to send to Mars indefinitely...

We absoutly do have enough stuff on earth to keep sending supplies for what 200-300 people for ages. Supplies wise for earth that's trivial. The cost of sending mutliple large supply drops just for all the rocket missions would be massive though.

Also you would really need to pre-deliver like just a whole bunch of supplies there, so if the first people can afford to miss a few supply drops if issues crop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Rotacixe posted:

He claims his Mars ambitions are a hedge against civilization ending risks on earth.

It's him and his nazi friends that are civilization ending risks on earth.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

Same energy as this pic

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

dr_rat posted:

We absoutly do have enough stuff on earth to keep sending supplies for what 200-300 people for ages. Supplies wise for earth that's trivial. The cost of sending mutliple large supply drops just for all the rocket missions would be massive though.

Also you would really need to pre-deliver like just a whole bunch of supplies there, so if the first people can afford to miss a few supply drops if issues crop up.

What's this 200-300 people? We're getting a million there in 20 years.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

spanky the dolphin posted:

What's this 200-300 people? We're getting a million there in 20 years.
Bond villain Hugo Drax's space plans are more realistic than Musk's.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Living on Mars is dumb. If you think otherwise then I have a nice bag of sand to sell to you.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You say that as though movies aren't real

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jelly posted:

You don't become one of the most visible bigots in the world without harboring an entire village of self-loathing.

Elon is miserable as gently caress and placates himself with yes men echo chambers and hard drugs.

He's one of the most unliked pieces of garbage on the planet, and he knows it, and he's too loving stupid to comprehend why, and he never will.

He will die sad and divorced and we will laugh at him the entire time.

Even before he got into all the reactionary poo poo and became a reply guy for the dumbest accounts this was clear when he started trying to be epic online when most people with unlimited resources would do anything else with their time. He made it way worse for himself by falling into the stupidest beliefs it's possible to have which shattered his image to the general public and got the media to finally cover him even somewhat critically when he'd always been an empty charlatan.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Can someone explain to me like I'm a particularly stupid child why trying to terraform Mars makes more sense than say, making somewhere like the northwest territories more habitable?

Or, you know, improving the places where we currently have people living?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Trying to imagine musk instead becoming one of those Hillary reply guys that attacks sanders voters all day

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1778116984137245137?s=42&t=9qxI5c1gDT1vWd5GexhqAg

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I am all in favor of sending multiple people who can afford such a trip to Mars, regardless of income that's a net positive for Earth

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

he's posting tons of dumb poo poo but it's all racism and transphobia and beefing with Brazil.

He did take the time to reply to Grimes again though

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/lindayaX/status/1717367338675167479

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
360 res calls baby

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
I bet Grimes said some dumb poo poo about the singularity and living on the internet and then Elon didn’t realize that she was full of poo poo and he started trying to do it, and that’s why he’s a le epic meme billionaire. He strikes me as exactly the kind of thirsty dumbass that would change something about himself because his crush suggested it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They're both hilariously dumb and had their development arrested,yes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kazil posted:

he's posting tons of dumb poo poo but it's all racism and transphobia and beefing with Brazil.

He did take the time to reply to Grimes again though

Saying "corpo type things" negatively when you had multiple kids with the richest guy on the planet lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bogus Adventure posted:

Same energy as this pic

For some reason his weird blue coat made me think this was a really lovely picture of Vergil

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

👍🏼

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's a real big picture argument to be made for trying to colonize Mars, but it's real big picture, like said above, to spread humanity out onto multiple worlds so that if something catastrophic happens to Earth (which is possible), we'd have another place to go. But that's real big picture, like utopia planning, a humanity that thinks of bettering itself into the future, rather than what we have, a collection of greedy CEO's. In our actual world, there's no reason to go to Mars other than planting a flag to beat the Chinese, and some scientific benefit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I can think of one thing the two have in common.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

There's a real big picture argument to be made for trying to colonize Mars, but it's real big picture, like said above, to spread humanity out onto multiple worlds so that if something catastrophic happens to Earth (which is possible), we'd have another place to go. But that's real big picture, like utopia planning, a humanity that thinks of bettering itself into the future, rather than what we have, a collection of greedy CEO's. In our actual world, there's no reason to go to Mars other than planting a flag to beat the Chinese, and some scientific benefit.

I don't think we should worry about Mars until we have a plan of terraforming it properly. I think we should also be looking at Venus a a terraforming target. Make whichever ends up with the tech to do first, first. Hopefully the other follows as a backup plan a few decades down the line.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

pixaal posted:

I don't think we should worry about Mars until we have a plan of terraforming it properly. I think we should also be looking at Venus a a terraforming target. Make whichever ends up with the tech to do first, first. Hopefully the other follows as a backup plan a few decades down the line.

Venus has too much atmosphere, Mars has not enough. We should make a plastic tube from Venus to Mars to siphon the right amount of atmosphere

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Venus has too much atmosphere, Mars has not enough. We should make a plastic tube from Venus to Mars to siphon the right amount of atmosphere

No joke, that's exactly the issue. And Earth is right in Goldilocks middle, just right....

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Does elon understand that pissing off the top end legal systems of countries is extremely dangerous if he plans to leave the states? He's going to end up getting arrested at gunpoint on foreign soil

I get he has bodyguards up the wazoo, but that doesn't mean anything against legal lethal force

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Hyperloop

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

Venus would be a lot harder to terraform than Mars. But each would be a monumental, civilization level effort. Massive.

Technically doable, right now. But who in the heck would pay the many trillions of dollars to do so?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

pixaal posted:

And any realistic plan to terraform mars to any useful degree is going to be using decades and centuries as it's units in it's time frame. It turns out all that poo poo is going to take ages and a truly immense amount of resources.  If things are going well in like 2200 AD for humanity, sure we might start a serious attempt than, but before that I really doubt it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

No, terraforming Mars is entirely possible in the next 20 years. All you have to do is buy some Starlink, Teslas, and X Premium++ Gold Platinum subscriptions.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

And any realistic plan to terraform mars to any useful degree is going to be using decades and centuries as it's units in it's time frame. It turns out all that poo poo is going to take ages and a truly immense amount of resources.  If things are going well in like 2200 AD for humanity, sure we might start a serious attempt than, but before that I really doubt it.

I've been reading the "Red Mars" trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson and he goes into great detail about terraforming Mars. Some of the big actions were: Crashing one of the moons into the surface, and later crashing another big asteroid; giant global mirrors to increase the Sun's strength; digging enormous, giant holes all across the planet to release heat from underground; nuking the entire northern hemisphere from below ground in order to melt the permafrost; a giant space laser that burns a channel around the entire equator; etc.....

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why would anyone take this guy’s ambitions seriously when he refuses to take his own spaceship into orbit?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why would anyone take this guy’s ambitions seriously when he refuses to take his own spaceship into orbit?

Indeed. Why haven't you gone to the ISS aboard a SpaceX rocket, Mr Musk?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Terraforming Mars or Venus will never happen because humanity will run out of natural resources on Earth and/or turn it into an uninhabitable ball of death before we even get close to the technological level needed to make it possible.

We can't even manage our own atmosphere. Thinking about creating one from scratch is just pure fantasy.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
No one is terraforming Mars ffs. Not now not ever.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

biznatchio posted:

Terraforming Mars or Venus will never happen because humanity will run out of natural resources on Earth and/or turn it into an uninhabitable ball of death before we even get close to the technological level needed to make it possible.

We can't even manage our own atmosphere. Thinking about creating one from scratch is just pure fantasy.

No, technologically, theoretically, we could do it right now. But it's a pie in the sky pipe dream.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

redshirt posted:

No joke, that's exactly the issue. And Earth is right in Goldilocks middle, just right....

iirc, Earth is fairly close to inner edge of Goldilocks zone

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I can think of one thing the two have in common.

they can discuss their love of independent media

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

redshirt posted:

It's like that "Torment Nexus" tweet except Elon musk is too stupid to read science fiction so he's basing everything on all the worst aspects of every videogame he's ever played because he liked the aesthetic. "Do not build the Doom/Wolfenstein/Fallout/BioShock bad guy society"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dwesa posted:

iirc, Earth is fairly close to inner edge of Goldilocks zone

they can discuss their love of independent media

Indeed. But in comparison to Venus (too much atmosphere) and Mars (not enough atmosphere), we're juuuuuuust right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

There is no divorce on Mars.