Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

VanillaGorilla posted:

This pretty good show is really bringing some of the biggest nut jobs on the internet out of the woodwork, hoo boy.

Acting like Todd Howard personally ordered every copy of New Vegas confiscated and burned.

It’s not! It’s installed on my computer right now!

Check again, Todd personally snuck into your house hid behind your computer and burnt the copy off your hard drive while you were posting this.

That's just how sneaky he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Just finished binging the whole thing, and honestly enjoyed the hell out of it for the most part. Lucy and Cooper were fantastic to watch in pretty much every single scene for wildly different reasons, and (finale spoilers) I am honestly so excited to see them teaming up together for season 2 where she will have a bit more agency instead of being dragged along against her will or clumsily bumbling from situation to situation.

Honestly, I think my only complaints about the season would be:

1. Maximus, and by extension, how incredibly forced the romance between him and Lucy felt. It was such a weird experience following his storyline, because I found myself flipping back and forth on whether I enjoyed his character or not. First episode, he felt like a wooden block until the very end when you see him perk up a little when they are leaving for his very first mission. Then, once I got over the unfortunate casting choice of Michael Rappaport as Knight Titus, I was super into the drama of him assuming that identity and power-tripping on it a little once they air-dropped him a fresh new squire. But as soon as his secret came out there, it felt like his character lost focus by immediately replacing it with a less tense version of him still clinging to that name with Lucy, despite it being a completely meaningless distinction for someone like her. It makes sense why he would do it, but narratively, it just felt like a direct downgrade. And by the time they made it to Vault 4, it felt like he became way less sympathetic with how he folded on all of his principles and indoctrination so hard that he wouldn't even take Lucy's warnings seriously. Again, on paper, it makes sense that he would be struggling to resist that kind of comfortable luxury compared to his spartan-like upbringing with the Brotherhood, but I think the writing made him seem more pathetically weak-willed than flawed with how he easily he abandoned all of his suspicions.

Then it got a little better again with him returning to the Brotherhood with the wrong head, showing some genuine chivalry instead of just the bravado from having the nigh-invulnerable power armor to protect him. It felt like a great culmination of his character arc, to go from childishly LARPing as a knight to giving up that dream in an act of more somber heroism... but having that hinge on the big romantic kiss just fell completely flat for me because of how little chemistry the two of them have together. I actually found it kind of endearing at times how he would come off like an rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold silver, giving him room to grow over time, but pairing that up with them falling in love after like... two episodes of spending time together felt like the story was just cynically checking off some box of "we have three leads and one is a gross zombie man who talks about eating rear end-jerky, so the other two MUST kiss."
Also, more generally, I feel like he was probably one of the worst actors in the cast? I guess at least better than Titus and Thaddeus, but neither of them are meant to be particularly sympathetic, so it's not nearly as much of a problem. There were so many of his line reads that just felt weird to me for some reason, like he was hitting the completely wrong tone. More than anything, I just found myself thinking of how much better the show would've been if they had just written Dane's character into that role instead.

2. The power armor. I thought it looked surprisingly good, but with two major exceptions: any scene where they used the little arm jets to fly around like Iron Man which instantly dragged the show's production level from "wow, this looks expensive" to "this reminds me of something I would see on a SyFy show." And because everything else generally looks so good, it makes those brief little moments stand out even more, so much worse than anything I've ever seen from Disney's abuse of their Volume technology. And also the speaker voice that they used for whenever someone is wearing power armor. I don't know why, but it just always sounded so awkward and out of place to me, like it was someone splicing in their own audio for a fan-dub on YouTube.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

People bitching about the NCR falling clearly took the wuss options in Lonesome Road

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm only 10 minutes into the second episode and I'm already really tired of this show's soundtrack. Like I get that that's Fallout's schtick, but man they really overdo the singing IMO.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I think Ella Purnell (and the writers) do a pretty amazing job of making the gormless/blank slate PC vault dweller at the heart of every Fallout into an actual character. I think Lucy working as well as she does has a lot to do with Purnell’s delivery and presence - otherwise the wild swings from being wide-eyed to absolutely handling fools (which is very much how the games work!) would come off much rougher.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

This pretty good show is really bringing some of the biggest nut jobs on the internet out of the woodwork, hoo boy.

Acting like Todd Howard personally ordered every copy of New Vegas confiscated and burned.

It’s not! It’s installed on my computer right now!

They made a big deal during promotion about how this show is definitely canon from now on and how Bethesda has checked and approved all the lore.

So if they did retcon New Vegas for dumb reasons, it doesn't delete your personal copy of New Vegas, sure, but it might gently caress over any future games set in the West Coast.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Megazver posted:

They made a big deal during promotion about how this show is definitely canon from now on and how Bethesda has checked and approved all the lore.

So if they did retcon New Vegas for dumb reasons, it doesn't delete your personal copy of New Vegas, sure, but it might gently caress over any future games set in the West Coast.

Like one of the best set up points was that the NCR was becoming the new version of the old government and it was all going to come to a head somehow in the near future. Except not really I guess, now?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Megazver posted:

What if Obsidian does the next Fallout set on the WC and it follows this continuity?

There is a non-zero chance of this occurring post MS acquisition. Todd has been really cagey in the last few interviews he’s done about the timing of the next Fallout. They’re in pre-production in earnest for ES6 and he seemed to indicate that their next game after that may not be Fallout.

MS isn’t going to want to wait 15 years for another Fallout and the Toddster may not even have that many years left in him

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
What makes you think they are gonna set more games on the west coast? Obsidian is off making their own IP. Avowed looks neat and Bethesda has repeatedly said they aren't interested in other studios handling their IPs or setting fallout stuff on the west coast.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

What makes you think they are gonna set more games on the west coast? Obsidian is off making their own IP. Avowed looks neat and Bethesda has repeatedly said they aren't interested in other studios handling their IPs or setting fallout stuff on the west coast.

Microsoft owns Bethesda now. (And Obsidian and Inxile.) There are no official statements to point at, for obvious reasons, but it kinda seems like MS has slowly been getting more and more hands-on with Bethesda after Redfall bombed and Starfield failed to meet expectations. Like, after SF came out they actually put an exec from MS above Todd in the BGS hierarchy.

And, sure, they might just let Bethesda let the Fallout IP lay fallow for a decade as they're working on Elder Scrolls just as there is a hit tv show bringing the IP to the public's eye, but I dunno, if I was MS I'd personally start looking into letting other studios have a go. Might not be Obsidian, even if they are an obvious choice, but I'd take anyone tbh, as long as someone's actually working on a new game.

quote:

setting fallout stuff on the west coast.

I mean.... *points at the TV show*

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

This is probably the best show ive seen since Chernobyl

men just want to see one thing and it's disgusting: nuclear catastrophes dramatized by a great cast

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
This is definitely up there with Goggins best roles. Seems like he's having a ball.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
The showrunners have absolutely installed Another Millennia

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
The Little Price of Lies strikes again.

I did really like the production design - excluding the extras in Filly - it same Xena/Hercules frumpy extras walking around looking like cosplayers (Mando is also guilty of this).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

roomtone posted:

The only issue I have with full season drops vs weekly is that there are people who literally hit play the second this thing was uploaded and watched all 8 episodes in a row through the night, because it's been out for a total of 10 hours right now, and are posting about the whole season which is nearly that long.

I mean I can't stop em, and maybe I'd binge a season immediately in the .right circumstances, but the thing I like about weekly or at least staggered releases is it lets everybody have some time to get to the same point and talk about it for a while. Cos as it is, it's like, spoilers could be for ep1 or something that happens in the last 10 seconds.

The etiquette for these full season drops is to tag spoilers with how much of the show you're discussing, like (ep.2)I thought it was clever the way Walton Goggins figured out how to beat a clumsy, inexperienced Brother in power armor, but then Lucy just sees Maximus flying away in his uncontrolled retreat and thinks it was a triumphant moment.

Just starting ep 3 now, I'd like to space these out a little bit too so it sticks with me more, but man I really liked what I saw so far that it's hard to focus on actual work this morning.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, and not every has that sort of etiquette :v: Particularly on other sites / social media.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watched the first episode, really enjoyed it, looking forward to the rest and hoping it keeps up the quality. Goggins was, and you'll be shocked to read this, great!

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Got the second episode watched, this is growing on me. Still would be personally more watchable with all the merch and visual callbacks removed.

Pretty interesting production choice to film the desert/ocean scene in Namibia. Even with a helping of CG, the goddamn wrecks give it away.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Watched the whole thing, it was better than I expected. I won't bother with walls of spoilers, will just say that (ending)I had my doubts there for a bit, but they did manage to tie everything together in the end so kudos. And I loved every single stupid reference to the games I spotted :allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Splorange posted:

Got the second episode watched, this is growing on me. Still would be personally more watchable with all the merch and visual callbacks removed.

Yeah, I'm one episode in and I'm impressed with what they're doing, but I'm also disappointed with how derivative some of it feels. The Vault storyline has a good vibe, some solid takes and ideas, but it's anchored to a plot that this series has played with several times now. I kind of wish the lead was going out into the Wasteland to gather sperm rather than get her dad back. That would, at least, be slightly more weird.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm only three episodes in, but I have been very entertained so far!

I'm appreciating the quirky depiction of game elements, probably moreso than the props. The stim pack effects, the exaggerated rag-dolls, critical hit slowdown, and eating tomatoes for health.

Plus that homesteader was a flawless random encounter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Vaults being full of cousin fuckers is a good bit that even control Vaults would likely have issues with.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

TheBuilder posted:

The Little Price of Lies strikes again.

I did really like the production design - excluding the extras in Filly - it same Xena/Hercules frumpy extras walking around looking like cosplayers (Mando is also guilty of this).

People said this about wheel of time too and I need to ask, when was the last time you actually watched Xena/Hercules because they production values and design work of modern shows is a million times better than mid 90s serialized stuff that was shot on very small budgets to be intentionally sold for syndication.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

The Vaults being full of cousin fuckers is a good bit that even control Vaults would likely have issues with.

I was impressed by how much world-building they managed to cram into a two-word phrase and tone of voice with "cousin stuff" in the early vault scenes.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
They better start rationing out the oldies slower or they're gonna blow their load with all the Fallout hit songs in the first season

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Only seen the first episode but the genetic diversity/intertrading stuff with the 3 vaults feels like maybe it's all amped up for this variation's experiment. Give one more food, one more people, the third ??? and see how they all get along.

Especially since the cast of Vault 33 seems very small but I can't tell if that's meant to be everyone or if there's an implied huge population just offscreen. How many people usually live in a vault?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Vault structure seems very big, based on that one shot, but there were weirdly few people on screen. Those kids that were in one scene and never appeared again (kids can't go to weddings?)

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

So I binged this and probably slipped up on my alertness during the watch so I had a quick question regarding Moldaver: end of show spoiler as in: how is she alive? Betty and the Dad, sure. Her? Not... clear. I think I probably just nodded off briefly when they explained it

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Also Thaddeus' actor is doing a very strong Charlie Day voice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Vault structure seems very big, based on that one shot, but there were weirdly few people on screen. Those kids that were in one scene and never appeared again (kids can't go to weddings?)

Probably the doylist reason: child actors are tough to work with, they probably didn't want to show a bunch of kids getting slaughtered on screen

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

primaltrash posted:

Also Thaddeus' actor is doing a very strong Charlie Day voice.

Johnny Pemberton did show up on an episode of It's Always Sunny.

The dude is in his 40s and still looks and sounds like a 20 something dweeb which is very funny for his role as a Squire.

poo poo I just remembered he was the aide from In The Loop who gets a bollocking by Malcolm Tucker.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 11, 2024

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ahahahaha (ep3) Wasteland's got its own golden rule. You get sidetracked by bullshit every goddamn time.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Are all the episode runtimes as inaccurate as the first one? Cos it says ep1 is 74 minutes but it is like 60 minutes and then 14 minutes of credits and a season trailer for some reason.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
This show really hates left feet, specifically

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Probably the doylist reason: child actors are tough to work with, they probably didn't want to show a bunch of kids getting slaughtered on screen

Actually the kids became invisible so they couldn't be killed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I thought that was only in the German broadcast.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I mean, you just walk around with armed dynamite, ain't that hard

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Only watched 3 episodes so far (reminder to please try and let people know how far in you've watched when using spoiler tags! At least through this weekend!):

Love the show. I think the vault plotline is funny because I feel like IF I was NOT a veteran of the games, I would be saying things like 'oh this plotline represents such an ethical quandry over what to do about these prisoners that are violent criminals, but are merely a product of the world around them and should not have to pay with their life for the failures of civilization." HOWEVER, as a seasoned Fallout veteran, my thought process is more 'oh they're just a bunch of raiders, just kill them and get on with your day :killing: '

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea can we get EP# before every spoiler maybe?

Obnoxious to have to click back through like 3 quoted posts to maybe figure out what a discussion is referring to :v: drat it Amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Megazver posted:

I read a review that pointed out one thing in Episode 1: the games imply that the bombs fell around 9:47 a.m ET. Not sure if it's outright stated, but it's the time all the clocks in the East Coast games stopped on. That's 6:47 a.m. Western: a pretty implausible time for a spoiled rich kid to have a birthday party.

May pushing doomsday around by a few hours be the worst canon violation the show commits!