Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

If I'm doing any content the person that gets my comm is the person that has the best adventurer portrait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I am a controller player, so I Comm whoever is still left. If there's more than one - best portrait gets it.

But usually by the time I have tabbed over to the Comm button, most of the party has left. :(

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I had a good run of comms while playing black mage in roulettes and I gotta assume my portrait was carrying most of that. I did hit 3k some time before though so I kinda wish they'd share the love with someone else.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I once had a healer who kept running ahead and getting themselves killed when I wasn't pulling big enough for them. Then they kept yelling at me for ruining the run.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

HaB posted:

I am a controller player, so I Comm whoever is still left. If there's more than one - best portrait gets it.

But usually by the time I have tabbed over to the Comm button, most of the party has left. :(
Oh yeah I'm on PS5 and can't always comm in time. Would be nice if you could still do it until you leave, not the person themselves.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

As a healer, I comm anyone that does more damage than me.

That's a small list sometimes. Do more damage than the healer, that's all I ask!
:negative:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Roluth posted:

As a healer, I comm anyone that does more damage than me.

That's a small list sometimes. Do more damage than the healer, that's all I ask!
:negative:
It interests me that that's even a possibility. What else would they be doing that takes up as much time as healing does?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm an ice mage.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

snoremac posted:

It interests me that that's even a possibility. What else would they be doing that takes up as much time as healing does?

A fair number of people in roulettes are people leveling jobs they have no interest in actually playing well and just want the numbers to go up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

snoremac posted:

Mid to late game healing can take up literally zero time, and if the group is competent all healing will be done with ogcds between damage spells. Having to actually stop damage and use something like Cure 2 is usually a sign that the tank isn’t mitigating properly, or the dps is dreadfully low.

It’s not unheard of to not even need those ogcds. A good warrior might be able to be self sufficient and the passive healing from SCH or SGE, or the additional stun time from WHM is more than enough help.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Sunday Morning posted:

A fair number of people in roulettes are people leveling jobs they have no interest in actually playing well and just want the numbers to go up.

They're so lucky. A lot of times I level up alt jobs intending to learn the job as I go only to get stuck in the sub-60 roulette hole all the way to cap.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HaB posted:

poo poo I primarily play mouse and keyboard and I struggle to get off the commend half the time. People be mashing the U key and dropping immediately.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It’s not unheard of to not even need those ogcds. A good warrior might be able to be self sufficient and the passive healing from SCH or SGE, or the additional stun time from WHM is more than enough help.

I have done expert roulettes as a sage with my warrior friend where I made a concerted effort not to heal him. Even went so far as to put Kardia on myself or one of the dps and not hit him with AoE heals. We made it through just fine.

The sustain on warrior really is bonkers if you know what to do.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I'm still in Heavensward and have been avoiding spoilers; any chance that the new expansion will improve the co-op experience? Trying to catch up my brother through post-RR content and would be nice if we didn't have to keep dropping group.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

If you're referring to solo duties, that's just something that'll never change. It's p much a core part of how the game tells its story. Sorry bout that.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Just get into a linkshell with each other so you can talk to each other in chat without needing to party up.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If anything I think the number of solo duties increases in later expansions.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Finally got Archer to 30, and man... They really have a robust repertoire of instruments and a full-fledged synth for each huh? Make you sign a waiver too before getting access to it lol.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Rumor has it if you play Let It Go, one of Disney's lawyers logs into their FF14 account and then forcibly PvPs you to death to stop you from finishing it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I once had a healer who kept running ahead and getting themselves killed when I wasn't pulling big enough for them. Then they kept yelling at me for ruining the run.

skill issue. when i play a healer i simply don't die to the enemies i pull ahead of the tank

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

NachtSieger posted:

Rumor has it if you play Let It Go, one of Disney's lawyers logs into their FF14 account and then forcibly PvPs you to death to stop you from finishing it.

And it turns out weirdos that craft near bards are actually just trying to stop Metallica from recognizing Enter Sandman on harps.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Why?

Why did they persist in carrying forward the "spot random blob on landscape with telescope then press button" missions?

I think the ONLY one was kind of fun was sniping guards with sleeping darts or whatever it was in Doma.

Did the FF16 event this morning, and even it has one. Does anyone actually enjoy these?

HaB fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 11, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like them, sometimes they have little easter eggs

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
How playable is this game with a controller? It seems a bizarre idea to me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
it is incredibly playable with controller, there are so many settings and tweaks to smooth everything out. might still want a keyboard for chat though

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
People do the highest end raid content on controller, and they're not really at a handicap in that regard. Haven't used one but it seems like it's a good system.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

YggiDee posted:

it is incredibly playable with controller, there are so many settings and tweaks to smooth everything out. might still want a keyboard for chat though

Yeah, it's nice. It takes some settings tweaking, and finding a button layout that makes sense for you, but after that it's great.

There are lots of guides on controller setups on YouTube. That should give you enough to tell what it might play like.

I should point out that FFXIV is the ONLY MMO I have ever played, and I have only ever played on a controller, which I'm sure colors my perception.

Would say that a kb is mandatory to chat, tho. The software kb is useless for any longer than "gg"

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

kaesarsosei posted:

To back up what YggiDee said, the game is very controller friendly as it was designed to be able to be played on Playstation consoles as well as on computers. I know people that clear the hardest content in the game on controllers so it is not a hindrance at all.

Keeping a keyboard and mouse handy is recommended as you still as you may want to talk to people in your party, and also the targeting system can be weird to adjust to as you use the d-pad to try to target the desired NPC or player. Sometimes just using a mouse to click on someone is easier.

There is a controller guide in one of the OPs if you'd like to take a look: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3973448&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post516241905

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

This is basically a PS3 game that's been ported and re-ported to every platform since

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

kaesarsosei posted:

The way soft targeting works makes it super intuitive as all roles once you pick it up. I actually find healing on controller to be much easier than on keyboard+mouse.

Another good comprehensive controller guide https://www.akhmorning.com/resources/controller-guide/ (click the "Pages In This Guide" button to swap sections)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

HaB posted:

Why?

Why did they persist in carrying forward the "spot random blob on landscape with telescope then press button" missions?

I think the ONLY one was kind of fun was sniping guards with sleeping darts or whatever it was in Doma.

Did the FF16 event this morning, and even it has one. Does anyone actually enjoy these?

Nope. I audibly groaned when the FF16 event made me do one.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Arist posted:

I like them, sometimes they have little easter eggs

The shoebill stares unblinking.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

gay devil posted:

The way soft targeting works makes it super intuitive as all roles once you pick it up. I actually find healing on controller to be much easier than on keyboard+mouse.

Tell me your healing secrets? I basically just play tank and dps because I can't stand healing on controller.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Tapping down twice will always target the first tank in the party. To cycle from the bottom of the party list up, hit up on d-pad instead. You will never need more than four taps to target a specific party member. Taken from that Akhmorning guide:

If it is just one quick heal in-between throwing rocks at enemies, do not hit A to "confirm" the selection, leave them "soft targeted" where they have a partial circle around them without the actual selection reticle, the moment the cast goes off you will automatically be back on your previous target.

As an example screenshot also from that guide:

The ladybug here is soft targeted, while the ground squirrel is hard targeted. The moment one spell/ability is used on the ladybug, it will automatically revert back to the squirrel, unless you hit A to confirm the new target. This lets you get a quick single-target heal off and revert back to attacking without any delay, or weave an oGCD heal inbetween casts.

It can seem like a lot at first but I find it way more natural than scroll wheel/F-key solutions once you adjust to it.

The only place healing with a controller struggles is rezzing people outside your party. Rezzing a healer or tank from the first alliance you have listed is no problem by holding L1+d-pad right, but whatever alliance is displayed second takes way more button presses to reach the tanks and healers. Rezzing people out in the open world or in areas like Eureka/Bozja also often requires zooming in really close in weird ways.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
yeah targeting alliance members sucks always on controller, if i'm a healer in frontlines i just pretend my healing only works on me because 90% of the time most of my party is out of range and it's impossible to precisely target any specific player quickly enough to help

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Yeah in Frontlines I'm not gonna bother healing outside my party unless I happen to have a mouse nearby while playing on controller. But healers are also barely healers in Frontlines outside of AoE LBs, their single target heals are way more suited for Crystalline Conflict where you can target just fine.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you guys heal in frontlines? like target someone and press a button to increase their HP?

drat

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Vitamean posted:

you guys heal in frontlines? like target someone and press a button to increase their HP?

drat

you guys play frontlines?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hah, I do like how when Minfilia pops on by to Snowcloak to talk about Iceheart she's properly dressed for the frigid area while Alphinaud continues to shiver in his tights and light tunic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Vitamean posted:

drat

I almost exclusively play sage in crystalline conflict and I don't think I've ever put kardia on anyone except for myself.