Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Uncle Wemus posted:

Black folx ain't having no biden

NEW POLL: President Biden’s support among Black voters in seven swing states has dipped when compared to the last election cycle, the poll found.

The poll also found that 77 percent of Black women were planning to vote for Biden in 2024, while 11 percent said they would vote for Trump.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4587742-biden-losing-support-among-black-voters-in-swing-states-survey/
Falling below 90% of the black female vote is really bad news for the Democrats' most irritating propaganda line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the juice..is contained

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"If I Kicked It (The Bucket)"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Falling below 90% of the black female vote is really bad news for the Democrats' most irritating propaganda line

biden's beating trump 7 to 1 among black women :smug:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Gore would have 100% invaded Afghanistan. I don't think he would've invaded Iraq just because he wouldn't have had the project for a new american century neo cons in his administration who had a hardon for Saddam for the previous decade.

IIRC Clinton had a plan to invade Afghanistan in 2000 and Gore would have carried it out but it got derailed when Gore lost the election.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sullat posted:

IIRC Clinton had a plan to invade Afghanistan in 2000 and Gore would have carried it out but it got derailed when Gore lost the election.

They wouldn't have done a full ground invasion and occupation of Afghanistan if 9/11 didn't happen. I don't believe that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Gore would have 100% invaded Afghanistan. I don't think he would've invaded Iraq just because he wouldn't have had the project for a new american century neo cons in his administration who had a hardon for Saddam for the previous decade.

With how many senate democrats, including their 2004 candidate, voted for the war, I don't think we can say this for sure. Obama didn't have to be surrounded by neocons to be a bloodthirsty warmonger, and all the oil companies and weapons merchants who bankrolled the neocons would have happily paid those bribes to Gore's neoliberal interventionist faction instead. He may still have been pushed to invade; our oligarchs had been drooling over those oilfields for a loooong time.

It's possible he would have settled for tightening up sanctions, starving, and bombing the poo poo out of them.

But who knows what would happen, even if he doesn't invade, maybe he loses hard in 2004 and the neocons get in and do the same poo poo anyway

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Apr 11, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

They wouldn't have done a full ground invasion and occupation of Afghanistan if 9/11 didn't happen. I don't believe that.

you're right. prseident gore would've nuked it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

This is just my recollection from the time; it might also be post-9/11 propaganda (ie, Clinton had a plan to 'get Bin Laden' and Bush hosed it up) so who knows how accurate that was. But Clinton was definitely out to get him because of the embassy bombings & the Cole.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i'm glad al gore didn't become President because he probably never would have done voice acting on Futurama if he did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YjhoHV184U

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

At the risk of being Stancil'd, I'm gonna say I don't entirely disagree with this dude. The big political shakeups in the U.S. have historically looked like this, with one party losing so much support that they basically collapse. That party has either coalesced into a new party, or joined with an existing party. The Whig party collapsed in 1852, which led to the ascension of the Republican party, made up of ex-Whigs, prohibitionists, and the anti-immigrant Americanist party (known colloquially as the "Know-Nothings"). In 1948, the Dixiecrats defected from the Democratic party, and wound up being largely integrated into the Republican party, as they basically gave up on Northern Republicans, who jumped ship to the Democrats.

All of that being said, the alternative to the "Democrats have to overwhelmingly win" in order to beat the Republican agenda and force a realignment is that Republicans could overwhelmingly win and force a realignment. Also, if Democrats want that overwhelming win so badly, there are a ton of very popular positions they could take that would gather them a lot of votes: stake out a position against the tax software companies, actually do something about protecting the right to choose, stop shipping weapons to genociders, student loan forgiveness, Medicare for all, stimulus checks for everyone, increasing the child tax credit (which would lift a shitload of children out of technical poverty), etc. It's not the voters job to lift up the Democrats, it's the Democrats' job to make the voters want to lift them up.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Very true. The administration keeps playing PR games where they say poo poo like, "We want a permanent ceasefire for six weeks!". A very stupid strategy, since around 70% of Americans are watching the Gaza situation closely, and they'll notice when no progress is being made.

leftists complain that american education is bad and then biden goes ahead and gets the vast majority of the nation deeply informed on foreign policy, and somehow that's bad???

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

mcmagic posted:

lmao shut up mcmagic smdh

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If Gore won, 25% chance it would have prevented 9/11, 75% chance Gore does 9/11 anyway as a favor to his friend Dick

mags
May 30, 2008

here's an inconvenient truth for you, gore loves war and genocide, and is also probably a rapist

if he wasn't he wouldn't have been a candidate

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
mcmoron's alt history demonrat fan fiction

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Only the Iraq War was bad as Afghans personally assaulted Americans on 9/11 with their bombers and fighter planes.

it is very easy to write alternative history

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ham Equity posted:

Also, if Democrats want that overwhelming win so badly, there are a ton of very popular positions they could take that would gather them a lot of votes: stake out a position against the tax software companies, actually do something about protecting the right to choose, stop shipping weapons to genociders, student loan forgiveness, Medicare for all, stimulus checks for everyone, increasing the child tax credit (which would lift a shitload of children out of technical poverty), etc

Be serious. Can't be done. No magic wand that makes laws happen when one party holds a trifecta in government. Green Lantern theory. No power ring. You have to vote.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

:siren: tan suit :siren:

https://twitter.com/nikicaga/status...ingawful.com%2F

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

sullat posted:

This is just my recollection from the time; it might also be post-9/11 propaganda (ie, Clinton had a plan to 'get Bin Laden' and Bush hosed it up) so who knows how accurate that was. But Clinton was definitely out to get him because of the embassy bombings & the Cole.

They clearly would've done air strikes and sanctions but the idea that there would've been any public support for a full scale ground invasion without the frothing hate rage that 9/11 sent the country into is ridiculous.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I say I say I say Juche, son

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bedpan posted:

I don't think he is even in the bottom 50%

jan 6th is at least a big enough sign of political dysfunction to get him into the bottom 50%

but between the slaveowners, Reagan, and Dubya the absolute lowest spot that you can start discussing is 15, and there's a real murderers row fighting for that spot

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mcmagic posted:

Trump hired the same type of neocon imperialist ghouls that any republican president would've hired. If something like 9/11 had happened when he was president he would've done the same thing as WBush or any other republican president would've done. (Most democrat presidents too)

yeah I mean I don't know what trump would have done differently than say President Marco Rubio except tweet mean poo poo. I doubt Rubio would have signed off on all of the covid poo poo. Does anyone really think Rubio would have sent out big beautiful checks?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Nucleic Acids posted:

He objectively doesn’t make the top 5, at the very least

Just in modern history, W Bush and Reagan are objectively worse by every possible category.

Trump is middle of the pack. Calling him the worst president ever is astoundingly short sighted

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mcmagic posted:

because he’d be doing that in Iraq instead lol. the 2000 debates were a pissing contest between him and bush over who could overthrow saddam harder

mags
May 30, 2008

gore worked in the clinton white house, he had a long legislative career prior. he worked with albright, he was vice pres during rwanda and serbia. he was an ultra leftist antiwar progressive who would have created a perfect liberal utopia.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"If I Kicked It (The Bucket)"

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
This isn't even getting into Andrew Johnson and Andrew Jackson.

Truman is also an underrated pick for the single worst President, as he presided over the Cold War and pretty much built the post-WW2 order.

mags
May 30, 2008

VoicesCanBe posted:

This isn't even getting into Andrew Johnson and Andrew Jackson.

Truman is also an underrated pick for the single worst President, as he presided over the Cold War and pretty much built the post-WW2 order.

everyone forgets buchanan

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

At the risk of being Stancil'd, I'm gonna say I don't entirely disagree with this dude. The big political shakeups in the U.S. have historically looked like this, with one party losing so much support that they basically collapse. That party has either coalesced into a new party, or joined with an existing party. The Whig party collapsed in 1852, which led to the ascension of the Republican party, made up of ex-Whigs, prohibitionists, and the anti-immigrant Americanist party (known colloquially as the "Know-Nothings"). In 1948, the Dixiecrats defected from the Democratic party, and wound up being largely integrated into the Republican party, as they basically gave up on Northern Republicans, who jumped ship to the Democrats.

I mean the Whigs collapsed because they couldn't get a uniform stance on slavery, breaking up with Nebraska Kansas and people in the North pissed off at the spread of slavery into terrotories to create another parry with the remnant making up the Know Nothing party like you said blaming catholic immigration for their problems. Both issues stem from economic arguments, material concerns not satisfactorily being met by the Whigs. This is a far cry from voting for a party that does nothing materially at all, like the Dems.

quote:

All of that being said, the alternative to the "Democrats have to overwhelmingly win" in order to beat the Republican agenda and force a realignment is that Republicans could overwhelmingly win and force a realignment. Also, if Democrats want that overwhelming win so badly, there are a ton of very popular positions they could take that would gather them a lot of votes: stake out a position against the tax software companies, actually do something about protecting the right to choose, stop shipping weapons to genociders, student loan forgiveness, Medicare for all, stimulus checks for everyone, increasing the child tax credit (which would lift a shitload of children out of technical poverty), etc. It's not the voters job to lift up the Democrats, it's the Democrats' job to make the voters want to lift them up.

Agree with this tho, but I just don't see how this will get accomplished. Their incentives aren't there. There's enough Vote Blue forever people that they can win enough to get their sinecures upon retirement.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah I mean I don't know what trump would have done differently than say President Marco Rubio except tweet mean poo poo. I doubt Rubio would have signed off on all of the covid poo poo. Does anyone really think Rubio would have sent out big beautiful checks?

north korea diplomacy would have been measurably worse under a Rubio, very real chance that Iran diplomacy would have been better, Syria's an enormous question mark but my personal guess would be that he would have quietly hoped it became someone else's problem, saudi policy would have been completely unchanged, a sightly less stupid version of the Kushner Doctrine might have been put in place for Israel

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

Picking up my kids at school today saw a car with the newest LGBTQIAA+ flag sticker on the back along with some harry potter stuff. AND a sticker that said: "I support the hard work of police AND BLACK LIVES MATTER"

Libs really are something else.

the lgbt acronym is getting so huge you're going to need to stretch the bumper sticker for it out over multiple vehicles

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

24, from 🇷🇸, studying Biophysics in 🇫🇷

Progressive, tankie/lib if you're mad at me

bi, he/him ↙↙↙ 🧦 🌐🌹🌋 🥑 🐵🔰🔆🍉

🇷🇸🤝🇽🇰

mags
May 30, 2008

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

north korea diplomacy would have been measurably worse under a Rubio, very real chance that Iran diplomacy would have been better, Syria's an enormous question mark but my personal guess would be that he would have quietly hoped it became someone else's problem, saudi policy would have been completely unchanged, a sightly less stupid version of the Kushner Doctrine might have been put in place for Israel

he also would have backed guaido harder

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

mags posted:

everyone forgets buchanan

yeah tbh the moment you claim {$recent president) is worse than Buchanan you lose all credibility

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Hillary wearing culture as costume for the state dinner with the japanese pm:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ranking my list of hitlers

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Konnichiwa, Hillary desu.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e : lmao should've checked the image closer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Nichael posted:

I ended my climate rights presentation with this image because I don't trust people libs to get visual metaphors.

why didn't you photoshop the arrow going the other way