Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've seen some discussion that one possible culprit for the Sentinel attack might be Cassandra Nova. But considering that is a more recent character, and that Cable showed up before the attack, makes me think it's Apocalypse somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's probably not Cassandra Nova, as she's supposed to be the primary antagonist for Deadpool & Wolverine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

It's probably not Cassandra Nova, as she's supposed to be the primary antagonist for Deadpool & Wolverine.
I've also heard that, so I tend to think people are just getting confused

So my suspicion is still Apocalypse

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
I vote time travel poo poo

Really though I just want to hear them say Nimrod a few dozen times

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've also heard that, so I tend to think people are just getting confused

So my suspicion is still Apocalypse

In the X-Men cartoon comic tie in with Secret Wars Casandra Nova was in it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm going to guess that Sinister is involved somehow, I remember reading interviews that talked him and his role in the series up, and we've only seen him once so far, but he's got that scene in the intro.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It seems like next week is a continuation of the Storm plotline, so I don't know if we are going to get any answers until Ep 7 or 8

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm going to guess that Sinister is involved somehow, I remember reading interviews that talked him and his role in the series up, and we've only seen him once so far, but he's got that scene in the intro.
It's certainly possible, he shows up a shitload in the original series

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The French titles for 8-10 are literally ’Operation Zero Tolerance’ so Bastion is my bet. I also simply hope to never see Cassandra Nova again and I’m disappointed by the Deadpool news.

Ref:
https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_%9297

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Gonz posted:

That's like exactly the Disney M.O. though? If anything that just makes it even more assured.

TheMopeSquad fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 11, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

godamn, the Scott/Jean drama is so spicy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GateOfD posted:

godamn, the Scott/Jean drama is so spicy

I really really hope they add Emma into the mix

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

well. gently caress.

we really need a revival to 90's Spider-man with this quality now.

They really went all out. And like it wasn't just the last half, the whole episode was oozing with story, romance, politics ect.

Like I know they were the reoccring enemy, but as a kid, watching them in the original show, they kind of used them as fodder with one-liners as they were blown ujp, so as a kid, just saw them as disposable fun things for the characters to blow up. Especially with the X-Men Arcade game in mind.

Here, they really show how much of a threat and terror they can be. Like other than the omega mutants and a few trained for battle. 99% of mutants are utterly helpless against them and would get slaughtered like any regular person.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 11, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

TheMopeSquad posted:

That's like exactly the Disney M.O. though? If anything that just makes it even more assured.

I was thinking that Cable kind of sounded like Brolin in this episode.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wait so was it ever established what Gambit's limitations were charge wise cuz uh
if he could do the whole planet that would make him rather powerful

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alan Smithee posted:

wait so was it ever established what Gambit's limitations were charge wise cuz uh

It has a longer charge time for larger objects, and is generally only capable of affecting one object. Like he could blow up a cliff probably.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like Madeline Pryor is on her way for some Phoenix stuff now. Her and magneto noticeably got the “no visible body” treatment, unlike Gambit

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That episode strong said "Yes this is playing on nostalgia for this show, but we know the people who are watching aren't 12 years old anymore, so we will mature the storytelling with them."

At least we know Pixie and Glob Herman survived, and I hope Dazzler made it out too.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
It'll be awesome if it is , Cassandra while in Xaviers body with no in universe explanation.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

In the comics it takes him proportionately longer to charge larger/denser objects, but to be fair I don't think the cartoon ever explicitly acknowledged that. Plus he knew he was dying and going all out, like how that initial charge went up and then he grabbed the thing and supercharged it even harder. :rip: my favorite x-man

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Is this where we talkin about Xmen 97 because holy poo poo

E: I wish the footage of the old show wasnt so shite on Disney Plus or I'd marathon the whole thing to refresh

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 11, 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder if this is going to move into then adapting early 2000s, pre m day stuff more. If Quinton Quire shows up we'll know where this is going.

And I'll be ready for the rest if we see Wanda at all.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Is this where we talkin about Xmen 97 because holy poo poo

E: I wish the footage of the old show wasnt so shite on Disney Plus or I'd marathon the whole thing to refresh

https://archive.org/details/x-men-the-animated-series-1080p-ai-upscale_202204/EP01+-+Night+of+the+Sentinels.mkv

Also X-Men Evo is all on there, too
https://archive.org/details/x-men-evolution-1080p-ai-upscale/Xmen+-+Evolution/Season+1/X-Men+Evolution+-+S01+E01+-+Strategy+X.mkv

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Morrison's New X-men was the first superhero book I read whenever I started reading comics, so I loved this. There's a shot that's almost identical to this panel except at night, I'd grab the screenshot but I'm not at home. I love how they are melding the 2000s stuff into the TAS universe/style.

I think that everyone who is dead is dead and this is going to be fixed by Cable and moved back to status quo ante. My only question is do they run it out as a kind of AoA/DoFP dystopia for a few episodes to allow them to do crazy things with characters before Cable and Bishop probably fix it, or do they fix it next week. I hope the former.

Gambit powers question: Not that I really care but just curious: isn't charging up an entire wild sentinel master mold a little beyond him?

The show got me wanting to read X-men comics - I dropped off not too far into the X-men Red/Blue era - so I jumped in at HoX/PoX and everything is so weird. everyone is back alive! No, that's not Reed "The Maker" Richards, that's professor X, who's back alive! No that's not old man logan, that's the OG Logan, who's back alive! No, that's not Jean Grey from the past, it's OG JG who's back alive!

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 11, 2024

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

zoux posted:

Gambit powers question: Not that I really care but just curious: isn't charging up an entire wild sentinel master mold a little beyond him?

I don't think real limits were ever really established, comic or cartoon. The main thing I've seen in the comics (discounting any power ups) was him charging up the large anchor of a ship, but he needed time to do it. Him fully charging the sentinel within a couple of seconds was the thing that surprised me most.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think with pretty much any superhuman feat in a comic related thing, you do have to just let stuff like that go a little bit or just think of it like the classic "in moments of great need, a human can do things that seem incredible" and then extend that out to someone with a superhuman ability already.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Also, the show runners actually outright said at some point that there are moments where they choose to prioritise coolness over consistent logic. Gambit charging Wolverine claws was one such moment.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

twistedmentat posted:

I wonder if this is going to move into then adapting early 2000s, pre m day stuff more. If Quinton Quire shows up we'll know where this is going.

And I'll be ready for the rest if we see Wanda at all.

I am wondering if they intend to do some of the usual Wanda themes with Rogue instead. She's all dressed up in red and has that line about spicing up the rules shortly before both of her most important loved ones are killed and she's left holding the reins of enormous grief and enormous power.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DiscoJ posted:

Also, the show runners actually outright said at some point that there are moments where they choose to prioritise coolness over consistent logic. Gambit charging Wolverine claws was one such moment.

Yeah like I said I don't really care, why it kind of stuck out to me is that the sentinel goes "Omega Threat Detected" while looking at Gambit and then its POV switches to Magneto. Didn't know if they were hinting at something.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

He was protecting Rogue and he went Super Saiyan, that's the power of love baby.

That or an allusion to how, in the comics, his powers are basically firing on a single cylinder because they were once completely out of control and way too dangerous. Also they gave him time travel powers because of course.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Isn't Gambit an omega level mutant that self limits due to an inability to control the upper levels of his power? Him doing something insanely powerful under duress checks out for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a version of him that shows up in the 90s from an alternative universe where his training began essentially at conception and idk if Omega Level was a thing back then but New Sun Gambit probably woulda qualified. I think he's got the old "mental block" trick that limits 616 Gambit's power and ability to use it on organic material.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

No, he had part of his brain cut out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, that'll happen.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Why does the sentinel laser everyone then decides it's sufficient to stab Gambit with a bit of rebar.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

kiminewt posted:

Why does the sentinel laser everyone then decides it's sufficient to stab Gambit with a bit of rebar.

it was written that way so that gambit can do what he did

this kind of pedantic but wait why can be applied to anything in fiction, it’s fruitless, op

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gambit couldn't, ah, charge up a laser, so to speak.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It stabbed him because it wanted to look at him, the lasers just vaporize people and it clearly wanted to have Gambit as a bug in a collection.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
In one episode of the old show Gambit charged a length of chain he was twirling, and they showed that it took a few moments for the charge to spread (I also remember thinking at the time that spinning it made it "one thing" instead of a collection of links because it each was forced tight against the next)

What he did in that last episode was surprising, but finding out he's been holding back actually feels pretty in-character to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I have the feeling that this will lead into the Horsemen of Apocalypse storyline.