Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

kdrudy posted:

I mean, we have enough info to have a pretty good idea that Vince had a messed up childhood and in this case it seems to have contributed to making him a messed up adult. It's hard to not connect some dots.

Doesn't excuse anything, just a thing to observe.

Baby Vince had Bad Vibes and that's why no one loved him except Linder Ellerbie and his son, The Undertaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
took one look at baby vince and knew we had a certified chode on our hands

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 10, 2024

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eau de MacGowan posted:

ok next up

why is bayley egyptian now

+

why did seth rollins do mardi gras in philadelphia

San Jose is bayley’s hometown and they have a museum there which has an Egyptian wing

Rollins entered dressed as a “mummer”, a traditional Philly New Year’s Eve parade theme, with one of the musical acts that often performs in that parade

I feel like they just went to certain talents and said “you have ten grand to spend on a custom entrance. Talk with the publicity outreach department if you want local people to come on stage for something.” and certain talent just went “what weird poo poo can I do”

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bayley was trying to get Paramore for her entrance and apparently the WWE wouldn't approve it. Shame.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I would rather we not speculate as to sexual abuse. We know that Vince's (step?)dad did as that's been verified by him personally, but let's not ascribe things to people without concrete, verifiable evidence thank you

Eh, for what it's worth, this is straight out of Vince's Playboy interview:

quote:

PLAYBOY: We can leave that topic, but one thing first. You have said that the sexual abuse in your childhood "wasn't from the male." It's well known that you're estranged from your mother. Have we found the reason?

MCMAHON: [Pauses, nods] Without saying that, I'd say that's pretty close.

Not a total concrete confirmation, but... :shrug:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

https://x.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1777941610371924061 what car sponsor was it lol

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The replies to that Jets guy are brutal lmao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

its very funny that tony sharing that video is driving people insane... he really does have the carnie blood in him

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its very funny that tony sharing that video is driving people insane... he really does have the carnie blood in him

he's beginning to believe (derogatory)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I haven't been this hype for a Dynamite in a long time

I absolutely hate all the backstage drama horseshit of the past year and a half but it's gonna be great to see Punk get exposed and destroyed

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's tonight?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Was that this?

https://youtu.be/BI4839sOVsw?si=8zI0-vXZIHByKpnk

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
im like 90% sure its gonna be what we already know and its just getting hyped up but theres that 9% thats like oh poo poo this might be crazy and like .1% its like what if this is like vindicating for cm punk

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When’s Wrestlemania?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Pope Corky the IX posted:

When’s Wrestlemania?

What the hell

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

When’s Wrestlemania?

About a year from now.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

So what happened to the Rock after he got choke-slammed and the lights went out? Did he just wander back to the dressing room for some crisps or did the Underdressed-taker use his magic to teleport him away?

Also congratulations to Goldust's friend for finishing his story thing.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Stunt-Puffin posted:

So what happened to the Rock after he got choke-slammed and the lights went out? Did he just wander back to the dressing room for some crisps or did the Underdressed-taker use his magic to teleport him away?

Also congratulations to Goldust's friend for finishing his story thing.

He was seen following Roman back up the ramp, with Roman some distance away and ignoring him. He (Roman) actually stopped at the top of the ramp and gave Heyman an extended hug, but he never acknowledged the Rock and left the stage, and Rock did so as well.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Turns out Punk and WWE really do belong together.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Turns out Punk and WWE really do belong together.

Is that one side? It honestly seems like reality shifts whether you are for or against what happened with Punk. If anyone wants to give their own assessments on the aired AEW footage and what it did for any of the sides, I'm all eyes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What was on the footage? I was at work

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Is that one side? It honestly seems like reality shifts whether you are for or against what happened with Punk. If anyone wants to give their own assessments on the aired AEW footage and what it did for any of the sides, I'm all eyes.
I saw "so punk" was trending on twitter and I clicked it, and it was almost right down the middle people looking at the same footage and one half saying "so punk lied" and the other half saying "so punk was right"

also a lot of punk supporters who either didn't understand or were pretending not to understand why security camera footage would not have audio, and also suggesting that something had happened before the start of the footage that would change its context, which... to me, both of those things are kind of just admitting that what we see in the footage does not support the version of events they'd prefer to believe

I didn't say so at the time, but I honestly thought punk did a pretty great job of reframing things from his perspective in the ariel helwani interview. seriously!
"I thought I was being a professional, I didn't punch anybody, I just choked him a little" was an insanely dumb thing to say, but you do kind of have to think about it for a second to see through the rhetorical sleight-of-hand he's trying to pull there.
what he was doing in that interview, in general, was putting the entire scope of the situation under the lens of this was not a professional environment, I was lashing out because of my deep personal frustrations that were being exacerbated by this company.
"they're like children. sometimes they'll just not pick you up from the airport and you'll have to find your own way. (true) if you have a medical issue, they don't even have doctors they'll refer you to, you've got to find one on your own. (also true, but not the damning indictment he thinks it is.) tony's not a boss who wants to make money, he's a 'cool guy' who wants to be friends with wrestlers (probably the impression most people have of tony khan anyway tbh). that's not what was sold to me. I was there to make money. I was upset about the childish way people were conducting themselves for a long time, and I tried to be professional about it, I went through the proper channels, I asked tony to deal with it, and he didn't deal with it. I asked him to let me go because I knew it wasn't going to get better, and he didn't let me go. instead he split the product and put me in charge of saturdays, and I told squabbling child jack perry if he wanted to do this idiotic thing he wanted to do, he should go to the other show. he did it anyway, and confronted me backstage. I was done at that point, I told Tony I quit. I went out and wrestled the match anyway, for Joe's sake, just because I'm a hell of a guy, and that was all."

people who were inclined to agree with cm punk anyway probably felt mostly vindicated by all that and probably didn't examine what he actually said too closely. to them he was confirming... well,
a) what they wanted to believe, but also
b) how it does kinda seem from the outside
I said earlier that everybody involved just sounded like giant baby men who couldn't talk out their differences like adults. well, punk has since gone on to return to wwe and... pretty much act like an adult. he's behaved himself. he seems professional, emotionally centered, even happy. you can see him working with and getting along fine backstage with guys like hhh and the miz, with whom he'd previously very publicly blasted. he took being injured in stride, even though he felt like he could come back in time for mania, and even though it meant once again having his lifelong ambition of main eventing wrestlemania pulled away right when it was in reach. he is not, I think it is fair to say, currently acting like a giant baby man.
aew, meanwhile, has started to show some rear end, with poo poo like tony squabbling with randos on twitter or the thing about letting workers go without tying up the angles they're in. hell, tony said he feared for his life when this fight happened, and that assertion is almost laughable given the footage that he himself just released. jack perry, too, has been petulant and adolescent at best, passive-aggressively adopting the moniker "scapegoat" without offering any explanation of his side of the story, and huffing about (universally respected, boring dad) wrestlenewsmen dave meltzer and brian alvarez about whether or not he "apologized" for his behavior.
it is very easy to me to see how somebody could accept the narrative that aew is just kind of a clown show, and punk was right once again, and all is right now, because vince is gone, and wwe is acting like the sensible, professional company that punk has been fighting for all along. good end. 😌

... but you'd have to be lying to yourself to watch that footage and pretend punk didn't start that fight lol cmon.
https://i.imgur.com/81fH5N3.mp4
there's no two ways about this
whatever your feelings about the surrounding situation (I'm obviously verbosely ambivalent), whatever words came out of whose mouth, however their body language looks, whoever behaved more immaturely in the events leading up to and following this, punk physically laid his hands on a coworker who had not laid hands on him. and you can't do that! you can't assault and batter a subordinate because they copped a snotty attitude. doesn't work like that. "if it pleases the court, your honor, he had it coming." nope. cm punk is a loving 784 year old man, he knows how the law works, he knows how employment works, he knows you can't just start hitting somebody because you told them not to do something stupid and then they did it anyway and told you to get bent. there are adult ways to handle that, this was not one of them. it's not even close.
the footage maybe makes tony khan look like a big pussy and a dumb clown who exaggerated what happened and released the footage to make an even bigger stink of something that's insanely cringe and should be considered embarrassing for everybody involved, but it also does incontrovertibly show that punk is the one who escalated to physical violence. it's exactly what everybody said happened when it happened. he's lucky he didn't go to jail. that's what normally happens when adults suddenly decide it's okay to just start hitting each other. it was a piece of poo poo move and it completely flies in the face of the narrative he wants to push that he was somehow behaving professionally. professionals don't put their coworkers in a guillotine headlock, then lunge over a table at their boss, no matter how mad they are, punk, I'm sorry.
I want to like the guy! he's very charismatic, he says amazing and hilarious things, he's nice to his dog, he has a Minor Threat reference in his tattoos. yeah, he's kind of a jerk- so what? I've always gotten along pretty well with jerks, me. I really would like to believe he's not basically a huge turd, but the evidence is overwhelming at this point. it was overwhelming when he lost his only remaining friend over money bullshit, and that was like 5 years ago, and it just keeps getting worse. if he had punched jack perry in the face he would have said, "I thought I was being a professional, I didn't choke him or anything, I just hit him upside the head" and people would be like :hmmyes:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yeah, what they said!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well, so in order to move on to some hopefully less scandalous: Anyone fancy doing some effort posts about Sting's career?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

im glad aew finally aired the footage of the two wrestler dudes in their underwear getting in a little tussle drat i wish i would have tuned in live for that bombshell

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
there were a bunch of posts on reddit supporting CM Punk but after seeing that clip, lol it was just a bunch of giant baby men who couldn't act like adults

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i will not read the above summary or any other one.

all i saw was people saying that punk did say he shoved the guy first, and the video shows that, so its just idiots being idiots and aew looks worse after releasing it since it did not contradict anything. that seems on brand for wrestling

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Cornwind Evil posted:

I mean, they always did. Hes always been a far better talker than a wrestler, and thats more valued in WWE.

His AEW run did nothing for me either way.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

they should have pulled a swerve and aired the footage of hulk hogan choking out that talk show host while mr. t egged him on lol

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Spuckuk posted:

I mean, they always did. Hes always been a far better talker than a wrestler, and thats more valued in WWE.

His feud with MJF and the blowoff dog collar match were really good

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

bagmonkey posted:

there were a bunch of posts on reddit supporting CM Punk but after seeing that clip, lol it was just a bunch of giant baby men who couldn't act like adults

so your average wrestling fan

Spuckuk posted:

It allowed for that moment of Kingstone doing the spinning backfist on Punk 2 seconds into the match, where Punk fell like dead weight and Kingstone started to cackle and not even try to pin Punk. That moment ruled.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

will always lol at how much hype UFC built around CM Punk including having him in their games before he had even entered the ring and then his first match he got the poo poo beat out of him and in his second match he went up against the worst person they had on hand and still got his rear end beaten and then Punk vanished until he returned to wrestling

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
so the footage is basically what we already knew. also tony being scared for his life w/o the audio makes him seem weak . if cm punk was like im gonna kill you jack and right after im done im killing tony to then maybe but i highly doubt it

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

enigmahfc posted:

so your average wrestling fan

It allowed for that moment of Kingstone doing the spinning backfist on Punk 2 seconds into the match, where Punk fell like dead weight and Kingstone started to cackle and not even try to pin Punk. That moment ruled.

It also gave us Mox's promo which has aged like a fine wine.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

snergle posted:

so the footage is basically what we already knew. also tony being scared for his life w/o the audio makes him seem weak . if cm punk was like im gonna kill you jack and right after im done im killing tony to then maybe but i highly doubt it

lmao what the hell is wrong with you

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

it was just a bunch of giant baby men who couldn't act like adults

So yeah. That. It's always that. Every issue in wrestling has that at its core. From the start of its existence to now, it's always that.

I REALLY should take another crack at my history of pro wrestling thing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

snergle posted:

That's exactly what happened. The full audio version is floating around in the discords and Punk can clearly be heard screaming "I'm gonna kill you like I killed Benoit". Tony should have seen through that since Punk is only capable of killing the audience for Collision but he was still right to be scared.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
CM Punk said he was gonna eat and then gently caress his rear end until the room stank

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

will always lol at how much hype UFC built around CM Punk including having him in their games before he had even entered the ring and then his first match he got the poo poo beat out of him and in his second match he went up against the worst person they had on hand and still got his rear end beaten and then Punk vanished until he returned to wrestling

He did a few amature BJJ tournaments after his UFC fights, placing third (out of three people) in one. I'm impressed with anyone who competes, but it's weird seeing him get easily choked out by 40-something blue belt dads.

It makes his UFC fights seem even more insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Extra Large Marge posted:

He did a few amature BJJ tournaments after his UFC fights, placing third (out of three people) in one. I'm impressed with anyone who competes, but it's weird seeing him get easily choked out by 40-something blue belt dads.

It makes his UFC fights seem even more insane.

That's it, CM Punk is powerless against anyone older than him! He has to fight people who are considerably younger to have a chance.